GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Look after the birds!

5 posters

Go down

Look after the birds! Empty Look after the birds!

Post  Guest Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:57 am

In this freezing weather, birds are extremely vunerable. The ground is frozen so they can't dig for worms or insects. There is a severe deficiency of water, due to it being frozen. It is vital birds have water to drink and bathe in. The needs to bathe in water in order to enable them to prune their feathers so they don't freeze to death.

So far I have seen over a dozen dead birds in my garden, mostly thrushes, who are a lot more vunerable to the cold than other birds. I have stocked up on bird feed and have placed bowls of water around the garden for them.

Everybody should do the same. I feel very sorry on them in this weather. The birds are flying a lot more slowly, because they have a loss in energy due to having little or no food. Just leave a little bowl of water and food out for them, and if ya have seed, scatter it over the ground!

Back to top Go down

Look after the birds! Empty Re: Look after the birds!

Post  3inarow08 Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:44 pm

Fair play Esther, good call. At home we're throwing out a load of crumbs, crusts and seeds. I've noticed a robin and a couple of tits as regulars.
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry
Number of posts : 793

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:58 pm

3inarow08 wrote:Fair play Esther, good call. At home we're throwing out a load of crumbs, crusts and seeds. I've noticed a robin and a couple of tits as regulars.

plenty of tits in kerry LOL oj
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim
Number of posts : 1199

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:01 pm

Found 2 dead birds out the back of the house today - a robin and a thrush. The thrush tasted ok but there was very little meat on the robin.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:11 pm

I have always left seed, nuts etc down the bottom of the garden to entice the birds. Its much easier to shoot them when they are that bit nearer.

Last edited by Jayo Cluxton on Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:15 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:I have always left seed, nuts etc down the bottom of the garden to entice the birds. Its much easier to shoot them when they are that bit nearer.

had you down as a Twitcher Jayo!
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:16 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:I have always left seed, nuts etc down the bottom of the garden to entice the birds. Its much easier to shot them when they are that bit nearer.

Your nuts have been in worse places. Apparently.

Last edited by 3inarow08 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:17 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:I have always left seed, nuts etc down the bottom of the garden to entice the birds. Its much easier to shoot them when they are that bit nearer.

had you down as a Twitcher Jayo!

Only when the finger is on the trigger Sami ............ Look after the birds! Icon_twisted
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:18 pm

North Side Gael wrote:
3inarow08 wrote:Fair play Esther, good call. At home we're throwing out a load of crumbs, crusts and seeds. I've noticed a robin and a couple of tits as regulars.

plenty of tits in kerry LOL oj

Waheyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:04 pm

No

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:10 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:

Look after the birds! Kopfschuettel

Only messing Es. I have a fine bird table in the 'old' house and love to look at the finches, tits and robin dining. Kids love it too. Have the whole lot - bird feeders, etc. Am very mindful of the current hardship they are under and am taking appropriate action.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:17 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
EstherMayo1951 wrote:

Only messing Es. I have a fine bird table in the 'old' house and love to look at the finches, tits and robin dining. Kids love it too. Have the whole lot - bird feeders, etc. Am very mindful of the current hardship they are under and am taking appropriate action.

What a lick arse!
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:23 pm

3inarow08 wrote:
What a lick arse!

Look after the birds! Suspect
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:36 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
3inarow08 wrote:
What a lick arse!

Look after the birds! Icon_razz
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:40 pm

3inarow08 wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:
3inarow08 wrote:
What a lick arse!

Look after the birds! Icon_razz

You lick my a**e! Look after the birds! 417703 Look after the birds! Icon_razz Look after the birds! Icon_wink

Last edited by Jayo Cluxton on Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:30 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
EstherMayo1951 wrote:

Good man Jayo!! I knew you were only messin-sure how would a Dub have a gun?Razz

We have a few cats and at first we thought it was them that were killing the birds. But sure the birds weren't half-eaten as you'd expect. In total 15 birds so far have died around our place, and we don't blame the cats-it's the cold. Actually I'd blame the cats for around 3 of their deaths, because the birds are starting to peck some food out of the cats' bowls and y'know, ya can fit that part of the jigsaw in yourself Sad

We went down to Petworld and got about 20 kilos of birdfeed-and the birds are going mighty now. Except for one who flew into one of the windows this morning No We have 2 hens, but they're in a hutch and it's nice and warm in there, so they're fine too-not affected by the cold spell at all! We got 3 eggs out of them this morning!Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:27 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:

Good man Jayo!! I knew you were only messin-sure how would a Dub have a gun?Look after the birds! Icon_razz

We have a few cats and at first we thought it was them that were killing the birds. But sure the birds weren't half-eaten as you'd expect. In total 15 birds so far have died around our place, and we don't blame the cats-it's the cold. Actually I'd blame the cats for around 3 of their deaths, because the birds are starting to peck some food out of the cats' bowls and y'know, ya can fit that part of the jigsaw in yourself Look after the birds! Icon_sad

We went down to Petworld and got about 20 kilos of birdfeed-and the birds are going mighty now. Except for one who flew into one of the windows this morning Look after the birds! Kopfschuettel We have 2 hens, but they're in a hutch and it's nice and warm in there, so they're fine too-not affected by the cold spell at all! We got 3 eggs out of them this morning!Look after the birds! Icon_biggrin

That's eggsellent news Esther, keep up the good work! Look after the birds! Icon_lol
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm

3inarow08 wrote:
EstherMayo1951 wrote:

Good man Jayo!! I knew you were only messin-sure how would a Dub have a gun?Look after the birds! Icon_razz

We have a few cats and at first we thought it was them that were killing the birds. But sure the birds weren't half-eaten as you'd expect. In total 15 birds so far have died around our place, and we don't blame the cats-it's the cold. Actually I'd blame the cats for around 3 of their deaths, because the birds are starting to peck some food out of the cats' bowls and y'know, ya can fit that part of the jigsaw in yourself Look after the birds! Icon_sad

We went down to Petworld and got about 20 kilos of birdfeed-and the birds are going mighty now. Except for one who flew into one of the windows this morning Look after the birds! Kopfschuettel We have 2 hens, but they're in a hutch and it's nice and warm in there, so they're fine too-not affected by the cold spell at all! We got 3 eggs out of them this morning!Look after the birds! Icon_biggrin

That's eggsellent news Esther, keep up the good work! Look after the birds! Icon_lol

Thank you Triona! Very Happy I'll try and do eggsactly that! Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:40 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:Except for one who flew into one of the windows this morning Look after the birds! Kopfschuettel

Did she die Essie? Has happened at Chez Jayo a few times. Last summer we had a stunned bird in the garden having walloped the glass - even left a feather embedded on it. She landed on a garden chair and myself and the wains coaxed her back to health with bread and water and some cardiopulmonary resusciation. She got up to her wings a while later and took off. I like to think she flies over the house every now and then telling her flying friends about the good humans down in 'that' house. I hope she's not the one that shats the sheets on the line every now and then ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:54 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
EstherMayo1951 wrote:Except for one who flew into one of the windows this morning Look after the birds! Kopfschuettel

Did she die Essie? Has happened at Chez Jayo a few times. Last summer we had a stunned bird in the garden having walloped the glass - even left a feather embedded on it. She landed on a garden chair and myself and the wains coaxed her back to health with bread and water and some cardiopulmonary resusciation. She got up to her wings a while later and took off. I like to think she flies over the house every now and then telling her flying friends about the good humans down in 'that' house. I hope she's not the one that shats the sheets on the line every now and then ....

Well fair play to ya Jayo! Very Happy

Hopefully she's ok. She just disappeared somewhere when we looked out. Hopefully none of the cats took her off for lunch. We saved a thrush the last day from the mouths of one of our cats, and we gave her some bread and water. The poor thingĂ­n had some blood on her face, and she was stunned, so she only lasted a few hours. It's a miracle she even survived for that long, because the cat had her for a long while.

The frost has thawed out a lot more today and so the birds are having it much easier! I haven't seen our fox around for a good while(Mr. Foxy Loxy) but he might be making an appearance later on for some meat. I'm glad the ice and everything is going, the animals have had it bad for a long while now-they need a break!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down