GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayo V NUIG

5 posters

Go down

Mayo V NUIG Empty Mayo V NUIG

Post  Guest Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:57 pm

Tomorrow's match will be Mayo's most competitive match so far this year....

13 of last year's squad are unavailable, so it's a great chance for O'Mahony to test out a few new players and see if there's a new talent in there somewhere. Shane Nally and Jimmy Killeen, from Garrymore(near my hometown) are getting a chance to strut their shtuff as well as a host of other new players. Aidan O'Shea will be playing. Normally he'd have college commitments but no Sigerson football this year for freshers means he's eligable.

The injury list is awful long and there aren't a lot of familiar faces, but I still expect Mayo to produce the goods. I was at the Mayo and NUIG match last year and Mayo, though weakened by an absence of players, pulled through. This side is very experimental and NUIG are a tough team, with a particularly good midfield. It'll be interesting.

I bet all of ye are awful excited about this match!

Back to top Go down

Mayo V NUIG Empty Re: Mayo V NUIG

Post  RMDrive Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:00 pm

Will it go ahead? Weather not great and most sporting events have been called off.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:09 pm

RMDrive wrote:Will it go ahead? Weather not great and most sporting events have been called off.

I'm not sure to be honest. The snow isn't as bad in the Hollymount/Garrymore areas in comparison with the rest of Mayo. I have a funny feeling it won't go ahead though.

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:13 pm

RMDrive wrote:Will it go ahead? Weather not great and most sporting events have been called off.

This game was called off last Thursday.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:20 pm

Great! It was announced on the Mayo blog. On the 17th now.

That means I have a chance of going to it-I'm sick, so wasn't gonna be able to go tomorrow!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:07 am

Mayo play their first match today since, well ya know 'that match.' No changes to the side. NUIG can be a sticky team to beat. Back in 2005, I was at the match and Mayo were beaten by about 5 or 6 points. Now the conditions were terrible and they hadn't a lot of their team, but last year, I remember NUIG putting up a good fight. NUIG have some excellent players, midfield and even their half-forward line are good, so twill be interesting to see how Mayo fair out.

MAIGH EO ABÚ!

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:50 pm

Interesting draw today between Mayo and Sligo. Two intercounty teams trying to get the psychological edge before the C'ship and a fairly high scoring draw the result. No - wait! What is that after Sligo ..... IT is it? Should that be IT is IT cos IT is!! Sorry!! So Mayo drew with Sligo (Institute of Technology!?!?!?) - good achievement that. Almost 3,000 students of which about half must be female - some of whom may have played? Go out and back Mayo now! Mayo V NUIG Icon_eek
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:08 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Interesting draw today between Mayo and Sligo. Two intercounty teams trying to get the psychological edge before the C'ship and a fairly high scoring draw the result. No - wait! What is that after Sligo ..... IT is it? Should that be IT is IT cos IT is!! Sorry!! So Mayo drew with Sligo (Institute of Technology!?!?!?) - good achievement that. Almost 3,000 students of which about half must be female - some of whom may have played? Go out and back Mayo now! Mayo V NUIG Icon_eek

IT Sligo (as I bleive they are correctly called) have a good team and would have been training for a while. No real surprise here.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:39 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Interesting draw today between Mayo and Sligo. Two intercounty teams trying to get the psychological edge before the C'ship and a fairly high scoring draw the result. No - wait! What is that after Sligo ..... IT is it? Should that be IT is IT cos IT is!! Sorry!! So Mayo drew with Sligo (Institute of Technology!?!?!?) - good achievement that. Almost 3,000 students of which about half must be female - some of whom may have played? Go out and back Mayo now! Mayo V NUIG Icon_eek

Jayo, 'tis a good many days/weeks, heck even months before Champo time so I'm not worrying in the slightest. Sligo IT do have a few good players, Mayo have a lot of their players injured, and only 6 of their usual starting team were playing, and 3 of those were taken off after showing a good display. Mayo led for an hour, and eased off for the last 10 mins.

Again, I'm not anxious at all! Very Happy ( Sad - Razz ) Plenty of time to improve. And shure isn't it better to be getting rid of these 'not great' performances now rather than in the Championship, or even the NFL? Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  KerryKatriona Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:21 pm

Oh dear. Mayo and Dublin fans deluding themselves again and it only January!
KerryKatriona
KerryKatriona
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Kerry
Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnos bulls Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:39 pm

RMDrive wrote:

IT Sligo (as I bleive they are correctly called) have a good team and would have been training for a while. No real surprise here.

In fairness we all had sligo it backed to beat mayo at the weekend when we heard mayo had a weakened team fielded for sunday. No real surprise. Sligo IT have always done well in the FBD anyway.
johnnos bulls
johnnos bulls
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Leitrim
Number of posts : 320

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:03 pm

KerryKatriona wrote:Oh dear. Mayo and Dublin fans deluding themselves again and it only January!

Great, unbiased analysis of the match there-congrats KK! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  KerryKatriona Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:37 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:
KerryKatriona wrote:Oh dear. Mayo and Dublin fans deluding themselves again and it only January!

Thre's none so blind.
KerryKatriona
KerryKatriona
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Kerry
Number of posts : 492

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:50 pm

KerryKatriona wrote:
EstherMayo1951 wrote:

Thre's none so blind.

Please proof-read your posts.

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:05 pm

Well the two lads midfield for Sligo IT are probably the two best prospects in Cavan football.

What other county players had the students?
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:26 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Well the two lads midfield for Sligo IT are probably the two best prospects in Cavan football.

What other county players had the students?

They have a Galway Senior player and a few Mayo players in there too.

The Midfielders for Sligo IT were excellent. McGarrity and Parsons didn't play as good as they usually do, but McGarrity is just after a Basketball defeat with Ballina, so maybe that's a cause for his display. Parsons of course was sent off, and with Mayo leading by 4 points with about 4 or 5 mins to go, it should have been theirs. But alas, it wasn't meant to be.

I wouldn't read too much into this at all. As I said, Mayo only had 6 of their usual players, with 3 of those taken off. It's experimental football really for O'Mahony. He's been known to use this time to examine players and see what they could do for Mayo come the Championship!

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:42 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:
I wouldn't read too much into this at all............... It's experimental football really for O'Mahony. He's been known to use this time to examine players and see what they could do for Mayo come the Championship!

You're confusing me Essie! You say you wouldn't read much into it but Johnno should in terms of looking at potential for the Champo?!?!? Mayo V NUIG Icon_scratch
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:57 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
EstherMayo1951 wrote:
I wouldn't read too much into this at all............... It's experimental football really for O'Mahony. He's been known to use this time to examine players and see what they could do for Mayo come the Championship!

You're confusing me Essie! You say you wouldn't read much into it but Johnno should in terms of looking at potential for the Champo?!?!? Mayo V NUIG Icon_scratch

You can't read too much into this as regards how Mayo will do in the Championship. There are a lot of new player Johnno threw into the side on Sunday, and obviously not all of these players will be starting for Mayo come Summer time. It was an experimental side really, with a lot of inexperience and obviously not all of the players would be inter-county standard yet. Hence, there is no way you could judge Sunday's performance on how well Mayo will fair out in the Championship!

However, Ronaldson played some good stuff for Mayo, and it seems this lad is improving all the time.

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:15 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:
EstherMayo1951 wrote:

You can't read too much into this as regards how Mayo will do in the Championship. There are a lot of new player Johnno threw into the side on Sunday, and obviously not all of these players will be starting for Mayo come Summer time. It was an experimental side really, with a lot of inexperience and obviously not all of the players would be inter-county standard yet. Hence, there is no way you could judge Sunday's performance on how well Mayo will fair out in the Championship!

However, Ronaldson played some good stuff for Mayo, and it seems this lad is improving all the time.

Is he still punching players in the face off the ball?
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down