GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GAA story of the year

+2
redhandman
JimWexford
6 posters

Go down

GAA story of the year Empty GAA story of the year

Post  JimWexford Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:44 am

Wexford county board treated the 5 year rule as a joke this year, musical chairs best describe it with lads moving sideways back-ways up-way's anyway etc rather than out.
Club Agms were no better with most clubs unable to get people in if they owed a few bob.
I know of one scenario where a club reached a county final and 3 days before the Agm the management team sent there apologies and didn't attend. A sign of the times.

Is it becoming to much of a burden?
Will clubs go to the wall, look at thomas davis, portlaoise etc will they survive to be bailed out by croke park and set a precedence that will only be "followed" if your a big boy rather than a small club.

This I think will be the story of the year, some small club in Wexford, Sligo, Cork (no small clubs in the north it would be just pure anti-northern of me to say so new years resolution BOC) will go to the wall ask for financial assistance and be told feck off but your portlaoise's will have there slate wiped clean cause the are a big concern etc etc etc.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

GAA story of the year Empty Re: GAA story of the year

Post  redhandman Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:04 pm

jim its all politics - those with the jobs wont move, most conventions are held a few weeks befroe when one group organise who they want for each post and then the sheep follow the herd. conventions get loaded to get the "right " men for the job
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:15 pm

The 5 year rule is good in theory Jim, however the abuse of it is that musical chairs occurs with board members shuffling from one position to another and this just moves to make the GAA look silly. Personally i feel that outgoing officers who have served their 5 years should not be allowed to stand for a position for 2 years after they complete their term. This would hopefully see new blood appearing at club and county board levels, hopefully bringing new ideas with them!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:39 pm

bald eagle wrote:The 5 year rule is good in theory Jim, however the abuse of it is that musical chairs occurs with board members shuffling from one position to another and this just moves to make the GAA look silly. Personally i feel that outgoing officers who have served their 5 years should not be allowed to stand for a position for 2 years after they complete their term. This would hopefully see new blood appearing at club and county board levels, hopefully bringing new ideas with them!

I agree BE, its hilarious and yet bloody annoying to watch the musical chairs these guys perform just to stay on a committee/county board.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:12 pm

GAA story of the year Empty [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

GAA story of the year Icon_post_target [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] on Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:25 pm

These things are a total waste of time, used as an excuse to gather 3 dozen rural hillbillies for scoops on a Sunday evening.
For 50 years, 3 generations of a few families (first cousins) have held the reins of power in our club.
Oh! there might be an election to some post or other if an incumbent has died or been incarcerated in a mental asylum.
Positions on our committee are now viewed as being almost as valuable as seats on the Co.Council and are evidently hereditary.
Vacancies that may occur during the year will be "filled at the AGM."

Now I'm not saying that this dictatorship has failed our cause. They managed to acquire a playing field (sold by the current Sec's father) 20 years ago or more, but sadly in the remotest location in the parish and 3 crow miles from the village itself. GAA story of the year Icon_eek

We marginally retained Intermediate status this year having contested the Senior finals of 99 and 03. Is it their fault----no.
We just do not have the playing numbers. Instead of the field project they should have embarked on a breeding programme.

Will I be in attendance this year ? Unlikely.
Will there be heated debate and "way forward" plans ? Most unlikely.
Will they be all pissed at closing time and "certs to win the Intermediate in 2010" ? Most definitely!!! GAA story of the year Drunken_smilie GAA story of the year Drunken_smilie
Will it be regarded as "a good positive AGM"? You can back that one.

Shure they're a topping oul' crowd at the back of it all...... GAA story of the year Icon_lol . GAA story of the year Icon_wink .

Exactly as outlined on 12/11/2009.....down to the last detail...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:16 pm

Quality post there Boxty, had me in stitches! So typical of rural Ireland! GAA story of the year Icon_lol
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry
Number of posts : 793

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:19 pm

JimWexford wrote:Will clubs go to the wall, look at thomas davis, portlaoise etc will they survive to be bailed out by croke park and set a precedence that will only be "followed" if your a big boy rather than a small club.

This I think will be the story of the year, some small club in Wexford, Sligo, Cork (no small clubs in the north it would be just pure anti-northern of me to say so new years resolution BOC) will go to the wall ask for financial assistance and be told feck off but your portlaoise's will have there slate wiped clean cause the are a big concern etc etc etc.

From my reading of their difficulties Jim, the deficit here is of the order of €12m.
There's not a pups chance that HQ will bale them out. They were attempting to relocate to a green field site about 2 miles from the town center (well a good 1.5 miles) Utter madness and victims of the national malaise of the day...greed.
No sympathy for them in this quarter but they'll give the club A/I a rattle...Zach Tuohy returning from Oz for them....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down