GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Agm

+7
Boxtyeater
redhandman
North Side Gael
patrique
bocerty
black&white
JimWexford
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Agm Empty The Agm

Post  JimWexford Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:42 am

Coming to that time of year again when all is decided for the coming year - or is it.
How many of ye lot attend the agm, help make decisions, stand for committtteeees (professor I did that on purpose).
How many have/are on the inside track and have the ole metting sorted out in advance or would ye ever consider such a "thing".
In an unusal position this year a few groups going for the senior managers job and I have been invited onto 3 groups but I am supporting some else entirly that is making for fun. I know one neighbour wants it so bad I reckon there will be few words spoken between us(for the next 20 years- he's one to hold a grudge) if I support another party rather than him.
That adds to the spice of it for me.
There is nothing better to divide people, generate grudges that your local club politics.
Anyone else got the AGM coming up.
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

The Agm Empty Re: The Agm

Post  black&white Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:31 am

JimWexford wrote:Coming to that time of year again when all is decided for the coming year - or is it.
How many of ye lot attend the agm, help make decisions, stand for committtteeees (professor I did that on purpose).
How many have/are on the inside track and have the ole metting sorted out in advance or would ye ever consider such a "thing".
In an unusal position this year a few groups going for the senior managers job and I have been invited onto 3 groups but I am supporting some else entirly that is making for fun. I know one neighbour wants it so bad I reckon there will be few words spoken between us(for the next 20 years- he's one to hold a grudge) if I support another party rather than him.
That adds to the spice of it for me.
There is nothing better to divide people, generate grudges that your local club politics.
Anyone else got the AGM coming up.

Our club always hold the AGM on a Sunday evening at about 8pm. Think it's to stop anyone who doesn't live at home attending.........
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:47 pm

ours is coming up now on 26th of this month Jim - our chairman has been in place for 19 years - i wouldnt be privvy to inside info but i think there is a clique there that work through winks and nods - in my own opinion whilst they have done a tremendous amount of work they are also holding the club back in a way.

Talking to a few members lately the general consensus is its time for change but i wouldnt be convinced it will happen. There is one guy in particular who wouldn't want change an he has most of the senior members wrapped around his finger.

But sure i'll probably go along just to hear what has to be said!!!!!!!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:03 pm

To be in quorum you need over 50% of the members present.

It is reckoned that there has NEVER been an AGM in quorum.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:08 pm

In our club the committee appoint the managers so provided the existing committee stay on i should be reappointed senior camogie coach, not to mention the amount of under age coaching im involved in, i think thats enough, will go to the meeting to support the current committee as they put an awful lot of work in.
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim
Number of posts : 1199

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:32 pm

ours is on Friday week.
We elect all on the night but we hold a separate one for Coiste na Og that was 2 weeks ago. We have always since the mid 80's had to separate groups adult top table are the top dogs.
We tried the commitee last year to pick a manager it was afeckin disaster never to be tried again ( i was on the thing and was never as pissed off with the amount of leakage from 6 people).

We are looking at change in our place as well really wonder if it will happen I know for a fact if it don't my goose is cooked
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:19 am

in my club theres always one "set to" shall we say always one person storms off and over the years there has been many agms decided well in advance of the actual day in question. ours is usually the first sunday in dec or in new yr before everyone goes back to work, nothing liek starting the new calendar year with a new grudge.

ours would more often than not have the quorum patrique its just that these people are only seen 2-3 times a year

1 AGM
2 first home laegue match
3 the championship
4 the local complaining about how the thing is being run even though the silly fupers were the ones who "loaded" the AGM in the first place!
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:25 pm

These things are a total waste of time, used as an excuse to gather 3 dozen rural hillbillies for scoops on a Sunday evening.
For 50 years, 3 generations of a few families (first cousins) have held the reins of power in our club.
Oh! there might be an election to some post or other if an incumbent has died or been incarcerated in a mental asylum.
Positions on our committee are now viewed as being almost as valuable as seats on the Co.Council and are evidently hereditary.
Vacancies that may occur during the year will be "filled at the AGM."

Now I'm not saying that this dictatorship has failed our cause. They managed to acquire a playing field (sold by the current Sec's father) 20 years ago or more, but sadly in the remotest location in the parish and 3 crow miles from the village itself. The Agm Icon_eek

We marginally retained Intermediate status this year having contested the Senior finals of 99 and 03. Is it their fault----no.
We just do not have the playing numbers. Instead of the field project they should have embarked on a breeding programme.

Will I be in attendance this year ? Unlikely.
Will there be heated debate and "way forward" plans ? Most unlikely.
Will they be all pissed at closing time and "certs to win the Intermediate in 2010" ? Most definitely!!! The Agm Drunken_smilie The Agm Drunken_smilie
Will it be regarded as "a good positive AGM"? You can back that one.

Shure they're a topping oul' crowd at the back of it all...... The Agm Icon_lol . The Agm Icon_wink .
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:45 pm

I have a couple of AGMs on the way Jim, i sit in the main seat on the one and am seriously considering stepping back from it for a number of reasons, none of them GAA related thankfully.

The one for the club is in the New Year and after a number of worrying years i'm finally happy with how things are progressing in the club. About 4 years ago we were had around 11 senior players (including myself), the ladies team had folded and there hadn't been underage in nearly 30 years. We were broke, owed our County Board a fortune and thankfully they were brilliant to us, didn't have any new players due to a massive bash from reverse immigration and absolutely no way of progressing into the upcoming season.

I took over the reins of the club and went on a ruthless campaign to recruit players and raise money to pay our debts. We finished that season having fielded in every game, got a few shock results and almost beat the defending Champions in the Championship, losing in ET by a goal, the biggest thing was that we fielded a team with a third of the players were non Irish and hadn't even heard of Gaelic Football 4 months earlier!

Now we have a Senior squad of 35+, have been in the black for the last 2 years, now have a youth set up that it took me an age to get going (tough in an area where Rugby & Soccer are king) and have a bunch of lads helping in the admin who are brilliant.

We go into our first official AGM in 5 years (the rest the minutes were made up to keep the club going, thankfully the Co Board were great to us) and i'm happy to step back further and let the new lads take over.

I've been through a lot in life and sport but i've never been as proud of anything as i am when i look at my adopted club and their state of health now. Unlike other clubs, our new committee will mostly be under the age of 40, only 1 person over it. We all get on and work hard for the club. We have our rows, but when it's over it's over, something i haven't seen at home in my old club for years.

2010 will be a big year for my club, we would like to win the Championship, who wouldn't? We have the pedigree no doubt and won't be far away, but for me just seeing the club still playing and alive means more to me than any Championship i have or will ever win.

AGM? Bring it on!!!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:16 pm

Kudos to you there BE, a fine and fair achievement in the face of almost insurmountable odds.
Pleasing to note a couple of things:
1. The continued support of the Co.Board.
2. The manner in which you approached the issue.
3. The response and commitment afforded to you.
4. The evolution of the youth programme.
5. The creation of a youthful admin team.

Well done lad....grab a chocolate digestive there for yourself.... The Agm Icon_biggrin .
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:52 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Kudos to you there BE, a fine and fair achievement in the face of almost insurmountable odds.
Pleasing to note a couple of things:
1. The continued support of the Co.Board.
2. The manner in which you approached the issue.
3. The response and commitment afforded to you.
4. The evolution of the youth programme.
5. The creation of a youthful admin team.

Well done lad....grab a chocolate digestive there for yourself.... The Agm Icon_biggrin .

Cheers Boxty, but i'll have to pass on the chocolate digestive, goes straight to my hips!!!

It wasn't easy to get the club to feel like a proper club again and i feel you can only call yourself a club when you have some sort of underage structure. We were just a team!

Even in the light of our finance trouble and shambolic state of a few years ago, the Co Board seemed to have a soft spot for the club, i think it's because whenever we get asked to do something for them we do it without question, not like some of the other clubs in the county whose behaviour in some instances is nothing short of shocking!

I'm not going to claim it was easy and that the committee helped from the day i got involved, it took a lot of bollockings to be dished out for them to realise that they had to do something but thank god they did!

That said, i'm glad i'm going to step back from the admin this year, it hasn't been fair on the missus to have me trapsing out to meetings all over the UK in weeknights and weekends! Hopefully the hoors keep it up and don't let it go down the sh1tter again!!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:57 pm

bald eagle wrote:[
That said, i'm glad i'm going to step back from the admin this year, it hasn't been fair on the missus to have me trapsing out to meetings all over the UK in weeknights and weekends!

Nonsense BE - I'd say she was delighted to have the remote to herself and all the soaps and reality shows, the odd bottle of vino, the toilet seat left down and no one harrassing her at all hours .....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:01 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
That said, i'm glad i'm going to step back from the admin this year, it hasn't been fair on the missus to have me trapsing out to meetings all over the UK in weeknights and weekends!

Nonsense BE - I'd say she was delighted to have the remote to herself and all the soaps and reality shows, the odd bottle of vino, the toilet seat left down and no one harrassing her at all hours .....

What's all this crap about leaving the bog seat down? Surely they should leave the seat up after they've finished!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:03 pm

bald eagle wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:

What's all this crap about leaving the bog seat down? Surely they should leave the seat up after they've finished!

more importantly what was she doing away from the kitchen sink .............
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:14 pm

Very good point Boc, i'd like to think she was getting clothes for washing or doing the ironing!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:24 pm

bald eagle wrote:Very good point Boc, i'd like to think she was getting clothes for washing or doing the ironing!

Hardly an acceptable excuse nonetheless ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:30 pm

Club had their AGM last night - not much changed to be honest in terms of the personnel that form the committee - was kind of hoping someone would challenge the current incumbents but no one was prepared to put their neck on the line, not sure it was becasue of too much respect for the guys that are there or just a case of couldnt be bothered.

The big thing that came out of it was a new fundraising initiative which has been bandied about now for a few years.

Its a bit like the Club Tyrone concept were the club are looking for 'volunteers' willing to pay £20 a month (£240 a year) into the clubs coffers to service the current debt.

I have mixed feelings to be honest i already pay £10 a month towards the club lotto, i pay my membership for me and the wife which is £50 put tickets etc on top of that and it can soon add up. Its basically money for nothing because i get nothing out of it other than perhaps safeguarding the future development of the club.

Any thoughts - is it too much to ask of people or is it the way to go for raising money for clubs, in many ways it beats tramping the roads trying to sell tickets.

What way does your club raise money?
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:39 pm

something similar boc only 20 p/m and draw every month top prize 500 then 200 with 3 one hundred pound prizes we have 150-200 people contributing to it so it can turn a few pound also if you want to pay up front you get £40 discount so instead of 240 its only 200. raises around 3k per month
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:51 pm

redhandman wrote:something similar boc only 20 p/m and draw every month top prize 500 then 200 with 3 one hundred pound prizes we have 150-200 people contributing to it so it can turn a few pound also if you want to pay up front you get £40 discount so instead of 240 its only 200. raises around 3k per month

at least your getting some incentive RHM - our guys decided not to run with any form of incentive initially, i have a feeling they are going to regret it. Your club is giving away £1000 a month!!!!!!!!!!!!

your numbers are quite impressive we are looking to get 100 people minimum signed up to it
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:57 pm

they are onyl rough est boc i am nearly sure they are in around that.

they ran the same thing a few years back but limited the numbers that could join. as far as i am aware thats not the case now. alot join off the bakc of tyrones gravy train as draw members are looked upon more favourably for tickets for matches than non members. if tyrone werent going so well i dunno how many would join up?

your club board must be mad in these times to ask people to give that money with nothing to show for it , i suppsoe if they said thats including membership to the club and allows you free entry to home matches fair enough but then to pay for club membership @ £25 plus £4 for 8 home league games and a couple of bob a week for lotto tickets your looking at well over £400 per head per year. even a free jacket or hoody would be something
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:06 pm

redhandman wrote:they are onyl rough est boc i am nearly sure they are in around that.

they ran the same thing a few years back but limited the numbers that could join. as far as i am aware thats not the case now. alot join off the bakc of tyrones gravy train as draw members are looked upon more favourably for tickets for matches than non members. if tyrone werent going so well i dunno how many would join up?

your club board must be mad in these times to ask people to give that money with nothing to show for it , i suppsoe if they said thats including membership to the club and allows you free entry to home matches fair enough but then to pay for club membership @ £25 plus £4 for 8 home league games and a couple of bob a week for lotto tickets your looking at well over £400 per head per year. even a free jacket or hoody would be something

i think members will get a 'complimentary' jacket but thats it........
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:08 pm

I think some Antrim clubs have had generous funding from the Northern Bank in the past ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:18 pm

sssh jayo they were silent partners if it got out everyone would want a piece of their annual sponsorhip of £X6M
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:21 pm

Did ye get caught for a job Boc or did ye keep your head down!?!?!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:30 pm

bald eagle wrote:Did ye get caught for a job Boc or did ye keep your head down!?!?!

some chance of that BE they just reappointed everyone from last year - too much respect for guys that hold positions at the minute - IMO things are stale and in bad need of a good shake up - that said there is a younger generation who have started to look after the fund raising side of things and i reckon in a few years they will start to take over, good people they are too.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum