GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clare hurlers v Mike Mac

+4
Jayo Cluxton
bocerty
mossbags
Shinners
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Clare hurlers v Mike Mac Empty Clare hurlers v Mike Mac

Post  Shinners Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:37 pm

Well well well, what is eating Munster hurlers?
Are players bigger than managers? Should players have the right to chose their manager?
Can players go on strike during closed season?
What do we think of the debacle now unfolding in the Banner county?
Shinners
Shinners

Longford living in Dublin
Number of posts : 982

Back to top Go down

Clare hurlers v Mike Mac Empty Re: Clare hurlers v Mike Mac

Post  Guest Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:45 pm

Clare have not won a meaningful game all year under Mike Mc (relegation play-offs hardly count). All he succeeded in doing was to banish Gerry Quinn from the panel. Surely, when Galway beat them the common sense option was to step aside and let someone else give it a go. I'd say the final straw for the players was in the League when he started his son a wing forward, a lad who wouldn't hit the ball out of his way. I'm fairly sure fans Bannerside wish to see the back of him as well. I wonder who'll take over? Jamesie O'Conner possibly and Sparrow is after doing the 3 in a row with Adare. Loughnane could go back and Davy Fitz is just waiting to be asked.

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:03 pm

The players wrote a letter to Co board denouncing Mike Mac and didn't even have the balls to sign it. That tells you all you need to know about this shower of windy fookers.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:11 pm

surely a manager is bound to realise when he is banging his head of a brick wall or are they just too stubborn

i agree Mossbags at least have the balls and integrity to do the bloody thing right - if there is a right way of doing these things.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:15 pm

bocerty wrote:surely a manager is bound to realise when he is banging his head of a brick wall or are they just too stubborn

i agree Mossbags at least have the balls and integrity to do the bloody thing right - if there is a right way of doing these things.

Mike Mac is stubborn Bo but he's not stupid. You'd be talking about the bones of 60k if he walked as opposed to being pushed.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:22 pm

mossbags wrote:
bocerty wrote:surely a manager is bound to realise when he is banging his head of a brick wall or are they just too stubborn

Mike Mac is stubborn Bo but he's not stupid. You'd be talking about the bones of 60k if he walked as opposed to being pushed.

and therein is the major problem facing county boards - is that also the reason McCarthy hung about for so long in Cork, was that the reason Ross Carr wanted another term with Down??? Suspect Suspect Suspect Suspect
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:31 pm

Mike Mac reminds me of Frank Murphy - enough said! I don't agree with this 60k talk. All these 'agreements' are a nod and a wink - the first guy to take a county board to a court or, God forbid, the Employment Tribunal is gonna blow the lid and so ain't gonna happen. You think Donal Og was big news???
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:35 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Mike Mac reminds me of Frank Murphy - enough said! I don't agree with this 60k talk. All these 'agreements' are a nod and a wink - the first guy to take a county board to a court or, God forbid, the Employment Tribunal is gonna blow the lid and so ain't gonna happen. You think Donal Og was big news???

Jayo they arent likely to blow the lid on it but the day the walk away is the day the brown envelopes stop too - so it makes 'sense' to them guys to hang about and collect the kudos rather than walk away..........
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:44 pm

Just heard there that Mike Mac will be staying on. Made a speech blaming a 'media circus' for all the current shenanigans. The delegates were too gutless to take him on. Will be interesting to see how the players react now.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:45 pm

mossbags wrote:Just heard there that Mike Mac will be staying on. Made a speech blaming a 'media circus' for all the current shenanigans. The delegates were too gutless to take him on. Will be interesting to see how the players react now.

a strike perhaps......................................
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:54 pm

Things are about to get awful messy below in Clare. There was no mention of the letter at the meeting. The board and MM are forcing the players hand here. Maybe the next letter they write they might work up the courage to actually sign it.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:05 am

mossbags wrote: Maybe the next letter they write they might work up the courage to actually sign it.

maybe they can't write .........
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:44 pm

I think the problems with Clare hurling go deeper than just the manager. An ageing team, a dilapidated stadium and apart from the under 21 win this year very little senior, club or underage success over the past 10 years.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:53 pm

clash-of-da-ash wrote:I think the problems with Clare hurling go deeper than just the manager. An ageing team, a dilapidated stadium and apart from the under 21 win this year very little senior, club or underage success over the past 10 years.

I agree and the current goings on don't bode well for the U-21 crop. They'll probably end up being mis-managed and going the same way as the Limerick lads who ended up amounting to nothing. Their only hope is Daly coming back but thats unlikely as the hurling chairman there happens to be Davy Fitz's daddy....
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:51 pm

The poor players are always mismanaged when they don't win something. The Clare performance against Galway in Ennis had feck all to do with poor management.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:06 pm

RMDrive wrote:The poor players are always mismanaged when they don't win something. The Clare performance against Galway in Ennis had feck all to do with poor management.

Stupid comment.

Unfortunetely, this is becoming an all too regular occurence these days......especially where this poster is concerned.

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:19 pm

RMDrive wrote:The poor players are always mismanaged when they don't win something. The Clare performance against Galway in Ennis had feck all to do with poor management.

Care to flesh that out a little RMD?
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:28 pm

Evidently all is not well in Galway hurling either

THE Galway hurling crisis claimed its first victim last night when Miko Ryan – the longest serving GAA officer in the county – resigned as chairman of the Hurling Board.

His resignation was delivered to the chairman of the Galway County Board, Gerry Larkin, shortly before its management committee met to consider a number of issues surrounding Ryan. The staging of the Galway senior hurling final on Sunday week is in doubt as Mullagh – disgruntled with losing a controversial semi-final and now facing the possibility of 48-week suspensions being handed out to three of their players for abusing a referee – consider an objection based on Ryan chairing the fixtures committee which organised their clash with Loughrea while under suspension.

Ryan recently served the remaining 16 days of an eight-week ban imposed during the summer after he was involved in altercation on the sideline during Galway’s Leinster championship defeat to Kilkenny.

Ryan last night resigned from his position before the management committee met to consider a six months suspension on him for acting while under suspension.

The Craughwell clubman, who was elected unopposed for 12 of his 13 years in charge, said it was time to end the rows which have dogged Galway hurling in recent years.

"I certainly haven’t enjoyed my involvement over the last year and I do not wish, at this time, to give the reasons for my resignation.

"I have always strived to put the interests of Galway hurling first. I believe that now is the right time for clubs to select people who will work together, openly and honestly as Hurling Board officers and bring to an end the divisiveness of the past year.

"I regret very much the fact that despite all our under-age success and efforts in the last decade we have failed to win an All-Ireland senior hurling title.

"It was never my intention to offend anyone during my period in office and if I did I offer my sincere apologies
.’’
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:20 pm

bocerty wrote:Evidently all is not well in Galway hurling either

THE Galway hurling crisis claimed its first victim last night when Miko Ryan – the longest serving GAA officer in the county – resigned as chairman of the Hurling Board.

His resignation was delivered to the chairman of the Galway County Board, Gerry Larkin, shortly before its management committee met to consider a number of issues surrounding Ryan. The staging of the Galway senior hurling final on Sunday week is in doubt as Mullagh – disgruntled with losing a controversial semi-final and now facing the possibility of 48-week suspensions being handed out to three of their players for abusing a referee – consider an objection based on Ryan chairing the fixtures committee which organised their clash with Loughrea while under suspension.

Ryan recently served the remaining 16 days of an eight-week ban imposed during the summer after he was involved in altercation on the sideline during Galway’s Leinster championship defeat to Kilkenny.

Ryan last night resigned from his position before the management committee met to consider a six months suspension on him for acting while under suspension.

The Craughwell clubman, who was elected unopposed for 12 of his 13 years in charge, said it was time to end the rows which have dogged Galway hurling in recent years.

"I certainly haven’t enjoyed my involvement over the last year and I do not wish, at this time, to give the reasons for my resignation.

"I have always strived to put the interests of Galway hurling first. I believe that now is the right time for clubs to select people who will work together, openly and honestly as Hurling Board officers and bring to an end the divisiveness of the past year.

"I regret very much the fact that despite all our under-age success and efforts in the last decade we have failed to win an All-Ireland senior hurling title.

"It was never my intention to offend anyone during my period in office and if I did I offer my sincere apologies
.’’

This would be seen in Galway hurling circles as a step in the right direction.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:52 am

Clare hurlers v Mike Mac Happy0045Clare hurlers v Mike Mac Happy0045Clare hurlers v Mike Mac Happy0045

Time to break out the auld champagne Clash Clare hurlers v Mike Mac Icon_wink
Clare hurlers v Mike Mac Anim_65
Clare hurlers v Mike Mac Jg4pbn
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:56 am

mossbags wrote:

The manager always gets the blame. I spoke with a few Clare lads yesterday and while most of them would prefer a new manager, they all insisted that only a small portion of the problems with the Clare Senior Hurling team can be attributed to the manager. The players have to look at themselves and question their own effort and commitment and hunger.
These days whenever a team underperforms, the first place that people turn to for a scape goat is the manager. It's the "take 2 paracetamol and you'll be fine" approach to IC competition. Oh, there's a problem? Sack the manager. Players not happy? Sack the manager. Lads not willing to put in the work and effort required to be successful? Sack the manager.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:19 pm

RMDrive wrote:
mossbags wrote:

The manager always gets the blame. I spoke with a few Clare lads yesterday and while most of them would prefer a new manager, they all insisted that only a small portion of the problems with the Clare Senior Hurling team can be attributed to the manager. The players have to look at themselves and question their own effort and commitment and hunger.
These days whenever a team underperforms, the first place that people turn to for a scape goat is the manager. It's the "take 2 paracetamol and you'll be fine" approach to IC competition. Oh, there's a problem? Sack the manager. Players not happy? Sack the manager. Lads not willing to put in the work and effort required to be successful? Sack the manager.

Do you really mean this RMD or are you just posting for its own sake?
Clare lost every game this year bar a micky mouse relegation play off against Wexico. Mike Macs clear contempt for the league meant his team had no concept of how to win coming into the chship. He'd have them in heavy training a day before the matches and when they were relegated he said he might pull out of Div 2 next year and just play a few challenge matches instead as they would be more beneficial. He also picked a fight with Gerry Quinn and unjustly axed him from the panel. Lads may or may not have been more than willing to put the work in but when they see their work being squandered by a buffoon of a manager its not likely to matter much either way.
I agree that managers can unfairly shoulder too much of the blame when things aren't going well but in Clares case as regards 2009 I believe the blame lies overwhelmingly with the manager. Losing every game in league and chship, the buck has to stop somewhere.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:41 pm

I think that if Clare do get a new manager then that manager should get rid of all these older lads on the team and start the likes of Conlon, O'Connell and Honan. Gilligan, Carmody and a few more have been great servants for Clare but new blood is needed and they might be standing in the way of progress.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:04 pm

mossbags wrote:
RMDrive wrote:
mossbags wrote:

Clare lost every game this year bar a micky mouse relegation play off against Wexico. Mike Macs clear contempt for the league meant his team had no concept of how to win coming into the chship. He'd have them in heavy training a day before the matches and when they were relegated he said he might pull out of Div 2 next year and just play a few challenge matches instead as they would be more beneficial. He also picked a fight with Gerry Quinn and unjustly axed him from the panel. Lads may or may not have been more than willing to put the work in but when they see their work being squandered by a buffoon of a manager its not likely to matter much either way.
I agree that managers can unfairly shoulder too much of the blame when things aren't going well but in Clares case as regards 2009 I believe the blame lies overwhelmingly with the manager. Losing every game in league and chship, the buck has to stop somewhere.

In fairness Moss, I'm probably a bit out of my depth talking about Clare hurling and maybe I'm trying to fit a long-time bugbear of mine to the Clare situation.
IMP managers are the easy target and give people an easy scape goat. Problems with the county board, with players, with underage structures, with dicipline, can all be covered up by sacking the manager.

On the Clare situation, I'll bow to your superior knowledge but I will make this point. I honestly reckon if those players were interested and committed, that anyone could go down there and manage them to at least one victory. I'd even do it myself I reckon.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:56 am

RMDrive wrote:
mossbags wrote:
RMDrive wrote:
mossbags wrote:

In fairness Moss, I'm probably a bit out of my depth talking about Clare hurling and maybe I'm trying to fit a long-time bugbear of mine to the Clare situation.
IMP managers are the easy target and give people an easy scape goat. Problems with the county board, with players, with underage structures, with dicipline, can all be covered up by sacking the manager.

On the Clare situation, I'll bow to your superior knowledge but I will make this point. I honestly reckon if those players were interested and committed, that anyone could go down there and manage them to at least one victory. I'd even do it myself I reckon.

Swap the word player for manager and your 100% right there RMD with your 2nd last sentence.
Of course theres always hope, I do recall a time earlier this year, a certain poster muttering something about never remembering things being quite as bad in his own county and then they go on and have a half decent year, even managing to beat Galway in the process Clare hurlers v Mike Mac Fresse
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next