GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clarke and Dyas

4 posters

Go down

Clarke and Dyas Empty Clarke and Dyas

Post  Guest Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:49 pm

Great boost to Armagh and Down that these two are returning. Hopefully it will put other young players off from going in the first place

Back to top Go down

Clarke and Dyas Empty Re: Clarke and Dyas

Post  JimWexford Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:55 pm

In these times I don't think so.
Why are we so down on these lads going off to make money as a professional sportsperson in Oz yet if they play a truely foreign game we appauld and cheer them on.
The percenatage that go to Oz and make it is tiny compared to those that try there hand (sorry unless your a goalie you can't use your hands) across the water
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:15 pm

JimWexford wrote:In these times I don't think so.
Why are we so down on these lads going off to make money as a professional sportsperson in Oz yet if they play a truely foreign game we appauld and cheer them on.
The percenatage that go to Oz and make it is tiny compared to those that try there hand (sorry unless your a goalie you can't use your hands) across the water

i wished them both all the best but it does not stop me from being glad to see one of Armaghs best prospects of the last number of years returning at a young age. Hopefully he will go on and prove to be the player that Armagh people expected.

I think the reason people have a different attitude to irish lads going to play soccer is quite simple. Soccer scouts go and watch soccer games in ireland to try and recruit good young talent. The lads that go to play soccer in england in most cases have played soccer all their lives, the aussies on the other hand recruit directly from gaelic football, having never seen them with an aussie rules ball in their hand.

I dont blame any young gaelic footballer from going to any professional sport, i just do not like the arrogant way the aussies conduct their business.

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:18 pm

samin10 wrote:
JimWexford wrote:In these times I don't think so.

i wished them both all the best but it does not stop me from being glad to see one of Armaghs best prospects of the last number of years returning at a young age. Hopefully he will go on and prove to be the player that Armagh people expected.

I think the reason people have a different attitude to irish lads going to play soccer is quite simple. Soccer scouts go and watch soccer games in ireland to try and recruit good young talent. The lads that go to play soccer in england in most cases have played soccer all their lives, the aussies on the other hand recruit directly from gaelic football, having never seen them with an aussie rules ball in their hand.

I dont blame any young gaelic footballer from going to any professional sport, i just do not like the arrogant way the aussies conduct their business.

and so says all of us samin ( well i do any way!)
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:22 pm

no one would blame these guys for heading off to Oz to get paid for doing something they love - if i had been given the chance I'd have went myself (not that there was much danger of that) if only for the experience of living it up in Australia.

I'm not too sure if a few years playing what is effectively a different game does anything to enhance these guys GAA skills - certainly Kennelly took a good while getting used to the round ball again - and the gaelic football tackle too for that matter. Perhaps it does help their fitness ans their approach to games.

Its certainly good to see them home and it should make it all the more interesting in Ulster next year - at least me might get some competition from Armagh or Down now .... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Clarke is the sort of guy Down need at the minute but to be fair i think they'd need to start cloning him if they are going to win Ulster in the near future. Cant say i remember or know a whole lot about Dyas but he will be a useful addition to the squad, all they need now is a manager.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:25 am

I personally don't see why we should want them to turn down the chance to play football in Oz when after a period of time they come back bigger and better from a career as a professional.

To be perfectly honest, if my Aussie Rules career had taken off after some glittering performances at "C" Grade in WA (finished 4th in the clubs Best & Fairest ladder), i'd find it hard to come back!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down