GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mickey Harte - An Insight

+2
RMDrive
bocerty
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mickey Harte - An Insight Empty Mickey Harte - An Insight

Post  bocerty Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:49 pm

Just read this article in todays Independent, thought it was worth sharing

Minor purpose major rewards

Since 1991, Mickey Harte has nurtured Tyrone sides from youth to senior and the production line just keeps rolling

SUCCESS leaves clues but you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to discover the basis for Tyrone's production line of All-Ireland winners.

Patience, vision, determination, hard work and a long-term view which is at variance with the shifting sands of GAA county politics -- these are the elements on which the Tyrone football ethos is based.

They are not sexy, not 'fast-fix' methods to suit the microwave age, but enduring qualities that work over the long term.

And then there's the 'X factor', the longevity of the relationship between manager Mickey Harte and the majority of his team.

Of the players on duty for Tyrone in the recent All-Ireland quarter-final against Kildare, eight have travelled the road through heartbreak, success, further devastating loss, and ultimate glory alongside Harte since 1997.

They are Ciaran Gourley, Brian McGuigan, Pascal McConnell, Kevin Hughes, Stephen O'Neill, Owen Mulligan, Enda McGinley, and Michael McGee.

A further four -- Joe McMahon, Conor Gormley, Philip Jordan and Davy Harte-- signed on in time to claim their place in the county annals during Harte's time as the Tyrone U-21 manager.

And that does not take into account the late, great Cormac McAnallen and Paul McGirr who were taken from their families and team-mates at a cruelly early age.

It's still remarkable for any county to have 12 players of a squad of 30 on duty three weeks ago that have forged their careers in tandem with the humble man from Ballygawley who is the top football coach in Ireland right now.

testament

That alone is a great testament to the Tyrone football culture as personified by Mickey Harte and the team he has built and readjusted since claiming the Red Hands' first All-Ireland senior title in 2003.

Consider, too, that Harte has been at the coalface as a manager for Tyrone since 1991 when he started out with the county minor team, and you appreciate the depth of the foundations laid in the home of the All-Ireland champions.

Counties such as Dublin and Mayo, who expect far more of their senior teams than they have delivered for many years, would do well to ponder the template set out by Harte and Tyrone.

The Northern side have looked the most structured and cohesive team in the country and have dealt capably with every challenge posed by the opposition to date this summer.

Kerry have limped along before hitting the heights against a dismal Dublin side which in turn had promised far more than it was able to deliver when it came to the crunch.

Mayo also flattered to deceive; Cork are looking solid but will soon get a comprehensive NCT of their roadworthiness when they play Tyrone; and Meath are the shock team of the championship.

Football and sport don't always follow the form book, but none of these counties can match Tyrone in having the core of their squad bonded by passion and loyalty to the manager who nurtured them from their teens.

It's a fascinating relationship and Harte took time out from the build-up to the Cork game to reflect on the journey so far.

If there was one key factor, one turning point, Harte identifies it as the opportunity he had to stay working with the boys of '97 and '98 beyond their minor years.

"Well I suppose there's no guarantee that any particular template will work but I suppose the more significant thing was that I got to work with the 97/98 minors for three years at U-21 level.

"That was significant. I was able to continuously work with them.

"After '98, I had them in the U-21s from 1999 through to 2002 and those sides which won All-Irelands in 1998 with the minors, and 2000 and 2001 with the U-21s, came through to win the senior All-Ireland in 2003.

"Whatever about the statistics in relation to the Kildare game, the big statistic for me was that 13 of the 2003 All-Ireland winning panel came through from the '97/98 panels.

"Statistics show that, even if you have a successful minor team, 10 years later only two will be regulars in a county senior team.

"In other words, if you have a squad of 18-year-olds, when they're 28, you will, on average, have only two players in your senior side.

"So that was an amazing number of players to come through the ranks," he said.

The question then had to be posed: Was it down to you, the individual leader, or the inherent talent of the players which brought them through from underage football to the pinnacle of their achievements to date?

"I think it's a bit of everything. I think the most important thing from my perspective is that I would look back at the patience of the county board," said Harte.

"They had the vision to see what they were getting and to let it develop. What they were getting was players who were applying the best practice in learning and preparation and it took time.

"The teams were not necessarily bringing home cups and trophies but were doing things well. They evolved into a group of players who were applying the best practice and eventually the trophies came as well.

"To reach that stage required proper structures and (having) a system in place, creating the kind of player who will sustain the teams for the longer term. And then, they are a special group of players. Apart from football they had to cope with the hand of life they were dealt at a young age.

"Paul McGirr's death; Cormac. Kevin Hughes had a brother and sister killed; others in the group lost relatives.

"John Devine's father died just before the All-Ireland (final) last year, so there was a lot to deal with but these boys came through it all," he said.

Eighteen years as a team manager, almost seven of them in charge of the Tyrone senior side, and Harte retains his own enthusiasm at a high level.

He believes players should continue developing, and he highlights Brian Dooher as a great example.

"Brian Dooher is the epitome of a player improving as he gets older, but it's also up to me to keep improving myself.

"I have to change and I have to be open to change and be continuously thinking of doing things in a different way.

"As long as I do that, the players will realise that it's incumbent on them to develop as well," he said.

Harte admires the qualities of his players and his teams, but he doesn't do sentiment when it comes to the highest good of the cause.

Players don't get brownie points for longevity, and if they're out of form or the tactical situation requires it, out they go.

'The team always comes first' is Harte's Law, as he has proved at various stages, most notably by leaving stalwarts such as Brian McGuigan, Owen Mulligan and Stephen O'Neill out of his starting line-up for the All-Ireland final against Kerry last year.

So how does the relationship work, particularly with the long-serving players?

"It's an ongoing process -- they have grown up while I've grown old.

"We have a good relationship. We can have the banter but there's good respect on both sides and everyone knows when the banter has to stop and it's time to do the work," said Harte.

Ah, yes, the work. Physical fitness, agility and strength conditioning are honed to the highest level possible, utilising team sessions and private work the players are required to do on their own, but Harte doesn't believe in slog for the sake of it.

"It has always been our philosophy starting with the minors, that the ball was king.

"Our sessions will be 90pc ball-work. Occasionally we'll work without it, but rarely, because it's much easier and useful to do everything we can do with the ball," he said.

Tyrone's senior squad chases a successful defence of their All-Ireland title but within the county the schools system, the coaching and development panels are all being tuned to bring through the future generations of Tyrone footballers.

A fabulous and comprehensive centre of excellence, to cost around €8m, is to open in Garvaghy by 2014, but the flame of hero-worship is burning brightly within Tyrone.

"There's already a lot of coaching going on in schools and clubs and it gives an opportunity for coaches to learn ways of doing things well, and to bring on the next generation.

"Young fellas are taking the cues from their own heroes in their clubs, and the present team is building a legacy for new players to come.

cracked

"But you can never take this for granted and say this is the whole deal, that we have it cracked.

"All you can do is say we have been in good places in the last number of years and if we want to stay there, we need new players, new ideas, and new attitudes," said Harte.

Talk of development and future plans pales into insignificance as the All-Ireland semi-final clash with Cork looms on the horizon, which is the next big challenge for Harte and his men.

"To be ready for the next day we know we have to work hard.

"The stark reality facing ourselves and Cork is that one team will be playing in September on the greatest day of the football year, and the other's season will be finished.

"You are always just one game way from being knocked off the pedestal, and we don't want that to happen against Cork," he said.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Mickey Harte - An Insight Empty Re: Mickey Harte - An Insight

Post  RMDrive Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:07 pm

Cheers for posting that Boc. I'm a massive admirer of him and I think he's one of the true greats of the game.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:05 pm

Good article - great guy. Tyrone have become the benchmark in Gaelic football not least for their ability to bring underage players through to senior - no mean feat in itself.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:01 am

Yeah great article, read it earlier. Amazing how one man can be in charge of so many core players of the team, for such a long time through underage to senior, and achieve so much success along the way. Tyrone's underage development system is second to none and they've been reaping the rewards of it for some time now.
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:26 am

what amazes me about him and other managers who have been managing the same successful team for years like Cody is how do they prevent players getting tired of listening to the same old thing year in year out, how do they keep things fresh and convince the players to buy in to their way of thinking every year.

Harte has had some of these guys under his wing now for nigh on 12 years and yet he can still get the best out of them, i know managers who couldnt get the best out of a player for 12 matches never mind 12 years.........

I was actually chatting to him on Saturday as i have done on many an occassion (yes i am name dropping) and the man just exudes confidence - he has total faith in his players and his own ability to beat anything put in front of them. The bit in the article that struck me most is the no room for sentiment bit - if a player has to be dropped for the greater good of the team a la Ciaran Gourley in last years final, then Mickey will have no qualms about doing it.

Its funny too to hear different people talk about the underage structures in Tyrone and how good they are - i would have presumd the same structures are in place in most counties now and that we are not in anyway unique or alone on that score.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:33 am

Well (in Leinster) Laois especially and Westmeath had great underage teams - but it didn't translate. I think players will always buy into honesty and effort - if they see it all around. The good thing about dropping those who 'can't be dropped' is that it gives everyone belief that they can make the breakthrough.

Also - as MH points out in the article - this team have had more heartache than is the norm - and have used it very positively - to their credit.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:35 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Well (in Leinster) Laois especially and Westmeath had great underage teams - but it didn't translate. I think players will always buy into honesty and effort - if they see it all around. The good thing about dropping those who 'can't be dropped' is that it gives everyone belief that they can make the breakthrough.

Also - as MH points out in the article - this team have had more heartache than is the norm - and have used it very positively - to their credit.

thats very true Jayo - most people remember Cormac and Paul Mc Girr and yet most wouldnt even know that Hub Hughes lost a brother and a sister in two different accidents within a short space of time - and as far as I know both happened on the same stretch of road. How Mickey got those young lads to turn a negative into a positive is beyond me, incidents like those have broken many an older person.

Last edited by bocerty on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:38 am

bocerty wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:Well (in Leinster) Laois especially and Westmeath had great underage teams - but it didn't translate. I think players will always buy into honesty and effort - if they see it all around. The good thing about dropping those who 'can't be dropped' is that it gives everyone belief that they can make the breakthrough.

Yeah Boc - I'd go along with that!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:40 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
bocerty wrote:

Yeah Boc - I'd go along with that!

smart cnut - i hit Send before i actually typed what i wanted to ................
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:43 am

bocerty wrote:smart cnut - i hit Send before i actually typed what i wanted to ................

Laughing Laughing Laughing

You know me Boc!!!

What did you want to say anyway?
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:45 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
bocerty wrote:smart cnut - i hit Send before i actually typed what i wanted to ................

Laughing Laughing Laughing

You know me Boc!!!

What did you want to say anyway?

the post has now been edited to reflect what i wanted to say...................... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:52 am

And good stuff too Boc!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:33 am

bocerty wrote: The bit in the article that struck me most is the no room for sentiment bit - if a player has to be dropped for the greater good of the team a la Ciaran Gourley in last years final, then Mickey will have no qualms about doing it.

Very true Boc, and the belief in doing what is right for the team works both ways. Gourley was selected to start that day, and the change was announced just before throw in. Gourley had told no-one, not even his father, what was happening, such was his commitment to the secret not leaking out. I've sometimes wondered why fellas like Gourley & Collie Holmes, for example, are still on the panel when they are past their best as players, but then you hear something like that and you realise their importance to the squad as a whole.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:14 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
bocerty wrote: The bit in the article that struck me most is the no room for sentiment bit - if a player has to be dropped for the greater good of the team a la Ciaran Gourley in last years final, then Mickey will have no qualms about doing it.

Very true Boc, and the belief in doing what is right for the team works both ways. Gourley was selected to start that day, and the change was announced just before throw in. Gourley had told no-one, not even his father, what was happening, such was his commitment to the secret not leaking out. I've sometimes wondered why fellas like Gourley & Collie Holmes, for example, are still on the panel when they are past their best as players, but then you hear something like that and you realise their importance to the squad as a whole.

indeed TC - i actually thought about it the other way, why do some of the younger players hang about in the squad when the chances are they are going to see very little game time, take the likes of Niall Gormley Dermot Carlin Martin Swift to name but a few, they are getting little or no ball time with the county and there are getting even less with their clubs, but as you say they seem to realise they are part of something special and are obviously made feel every inch a part of the squad which is not an easy thing to do. Theres no doubt that Mickeys man-management skills are up there with the best of them.

And i agree totally with your comment about nothing leaking from the inner circle, i know a sister of one of the players quite well and would often try and get some info out of her and i can tell you she knows as little about what is going in the camp as I do - absolutely nothing gets out.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:23 am

Reckon its the classic case of the sum total being better than the individual parts and if everyone buys into this you can't go wrong - and its all down to management.

And that's not to say that some Tyrone players are not very special talents in their own right btw!!!!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:55 pm

Ok..Im just going to put this out here...I don't like Mickey Harte. Am I the only one?

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:57 pm

Bright-Oak wrote:Ok..Im just going to put this out here...I don't like Mickey Harte. Am I the only one?

He speaks highly of you too Niamh.............
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:01 pm

Its not a slag or a dig Boc I swear, I just think there is more than what meets the eye with him.

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:08 pm

Bright-Oak wrote:Its not a slag or a dig Boc I swear, I just think there is more than what meets the eye with him.

you just said you dont like the man and then you say its not a slag or a dig, catch yourself on Niamh you've just contradicted yourself. Typical Irish begrudgery just because someone comes across as a genuine nice person, people assume there is a sneeky dark side to them.

There is more than meets the eye with him, he is far more of a gael and a gentleman then any tv/newspaper interview could ever convey. but successful people always have their detractors and Mickey is no different.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:10 pm

Fair enough Boc it's just a opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:15 pm

Met him a few times. His love of all things Brian Dooher gets a bit too much at times though. He worked for somebody I know and used to give us speeches every so often. He gave us 3 or 4 before big games, they were good, used to talk about discipline, hard work, attitude. Nobody ever got to where they are by doing nothing and all that. Then the last ten minutes would be spent talking about Dooher. I ignored that part. Dooher epotimised all that is good about a footballer et cetera et cetera, nonsense I used to say to myself.

Stephen O'Neill took us for training once as well, he's a perfectionist.

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:29 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Met him a few times. His love of all things Brian Dooher gets a bit too much at times though. He worked for somebody I know and used to give us speeches every so often. He gave us 3 or 4 before big games, they were good, used to talk about discipline, hard work, attitude. Nobody ever got to where they are by doing nothing and all that. Then the last ten minutes would be spent talking about Dooher. I ignored that part. Dooher epotimised all that is good about a footballer et cetera et cetera, nonsense I used to say to myself.

Stephen O'Neill took us for training once as well, he's a perfectionist.

bit ironic given we have to listen to your love of all things Meath day in day out, but there you go quite often the traits we dont like in a person are the exact ones we possess ourselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:49 pm

Met Harte a couple of times through different football events and got talking to him, have to say he seems very genuine and I couldn't say a bad word about him. Knows his stuff obviously and well worth listening to. Can't say he went on about Dooher loads in the way Loyal described though!
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:51 pm

the man is as genuine as they come our club lost a player a few years back he came and told us that we should be the best we can be (we were top of the league) and not to go and try and win it for the lads memory . also i do not think there is a wake house in ulster that he doesnt visit if the people have any connection with the gaa at all.

he comes across as very humble in defeat or victory

last year it would have been easy to slate all and sundry who had called for his head - he didnt and on sunday after the dream had died for 2009 it would also have been easy to blame the ref sickness etc etc again he didnt. in moments of great joy or dispair you really see what a man is made of . mickey is solid gold.
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:10 am

A true gent and beyond any reproach. Don't belittle him or worse - yourself...
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next