GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geraghty slams Croke Park surface....

4 posters

Go down

Geraghty slams Croke Park surface.... Empty Geraghty slams Croke Park surface....

Post  Guest Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:50 am

Meath football legend Graham Geraghty has branded the new Croke Park pitch an "absolute disgrace".

Writing in the Irish Sun, Geraghty expressed astonishment at the GAA's decision to dig up the pitch during the height of the championship and accused the Association of showing greed by staging three U2 concerts at the venue so close to major championship games.

"I walked across the Croke Park pitch before the games on Sunday and it was an absolute disgrace," he said.

"I do not care what anyone says, there are divots in that pitch. When you are out on it, you can see the different levels between the strips of new grass.

"Anything for money. U2 paid 30 per cent of the EUR1.2 million cost of the project after Croke Park hosted their digs. I did not see what was wrong with the pitch the way it was.

"A layer of algae under the surface was supposedly killing off the pitch, but it did not need to be done until 2010. Waiting another two months would not have made a lot of difference.

"Anything would be better than the way it is at the minute and I am just surprised that none of the players have complained yet. It is a joke that it was put down so quickly in the middle of the championship."

Back to top Go down

Geraghty slams Croke Park surface.... Empty Re: Geraghty slams Croke Park surface....

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:57 am

Yeah good man Graham. Nothing like a good old rant for the top quality daily The Sun.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Geraghty slams Croke Park surface.... Empty Re: Geraghty slams Croke Park surface....

Post  Guest Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:45 pm

I'm surprised Graham is the only journalist to have raised this point. The pitch for the last two weeks of games has been shambolic. In the Tyrone game, Brian Dooher bounced a ball and it didn't even come back up to him. Then in the Meath game, we had Meath players falling everywhere. There was an area underneath the HS near the 45" where any player who tried to turn inevitably slipped and fell. Fourteen or fifteen falls in that part of the pitch I counted. Fair play to Graham (his bravery and courage to the fore again) for being the only one man enough to speak out. His column in The Sun like Misunderstood is a must read.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:56 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:I'm surprised Graham is the only journalist to have raised this point. The pitch for the last two weeks of games has been shambolic.

Yeah they should really replay all the games over the last two weeks. The amount of freak results prove that the pitch is to blame.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:05 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:I'm surprised Graham is the only journalist to have raised this point. The pitch for the last two weeks of games has been shambolic.

Yeah they should really replay all the games over the last two weeks. The amount of freak results prove that the pitch is to blame.

I'll go for that! Oh hold on, a reply you say. Nah, once is enough!
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:34 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote: Fair play to Graham (his bravery and courage to the fore again) for being the only one man enough to speak out.

Yes indeed, Graham was always a great man to say things that no-one else would.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:31 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote: Fair play to Graham (his bravery and courage to the fore again) for being the only one man enough to speak out.

Yes indeed, Graham was always a great man to say things that no-one else would.

i would hate to see what he'd have written had Meath been beaten, or perhaps he is already making excuses for the Kerry game.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:47 pm

Think he was complaining about the pitch being too hard after his last appearance in the international rules as well. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:48 pm

When i say after, i meant about a week after, when he woke up.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down