GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good Sports Articles

3 posters

Go down

Good Sports Articles Empty Good Sports Articles

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:43 am

I enjoy reading good writers and especially good sports writers. Articles may be informative, humorous, analytical, though provoking or other and when they are written well, they are a pleasure to read.

If you come across any such articles - on any sport - post a link here. To kick off I read the following in the Sunday Times and found it very humorous and observant. Enjoy!

Link
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Good Sports Articles Empty Re: Good Sports Articles

Post  RMDrive Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:00 pm

" ...because he plays in the same side as Dimitar Berbatov, who appears to have been signed on a free transfer from Madame Tussauds ... "

Classic lol!
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:34 pm

the bit about the guys using condoms on the end of the cues is a belter .............
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:12 pm

What about this Jayo:

It was quite clear from early morning that it wasn’t going to be a normal day in Augusta, Georgia. Apart from it being the home of the US Masters, the gathering crowd signalled that this Sunday was going to be special. Within a couple of hours the course was, once again, humming with voices of excitement and expectation.

Perhaps the most intriguing aspect of the day was the pairing of Phil Mickelson and Tiger Woods. The world’s number 2 and 1 respectively, with six Masters between them, were destined to attract attention as they teed off at 1:35 p.m. for a mind-blowing round.

Mickelson totted up a breathtaking six birdies in eight holes with Woods keeping his sanity and his silence as he battled to match his old rival’s notable score. As the day wore on, anticipation gripped the spectators, low voices pondered a possible winner and prayers could be heard whispered through the course.

As Mickelson approached the 12th, one off the lead and within touching distance of the most coveted jacket in the world, he looked set to show us how it’s done. His pleas for victory went unheeded as his out of bounds drive went crashing into Rae’s Creek and a missed putt ensured hopes for him were all but dashed with a double-bogey on a par 3. Woods responded well with birdies on the 13th, 15th and 16th but dropped shots on the 17th and 18th. Finishing on a 68 for the day, one behind Mickelson who also bogeyed the 18th, finishing on 67, people began to turn their attention to an intriguing battle developing between Cabrera, Perry and Campbell.

Kenny Perry, boasting a two shot lead with two holes to play, looked set to sail to victory but with two difficult holes ahead of him, a mammoth task stood in his way. Bogeying them both, he joined Chad Campbell and Angel Cabrera in a riveting play-off. Campbell had finished on an impressive 69 for the day with Perry and Cabrera both finishing on 71 but a determined Kenny Perry was the man to beat.

` Campbell was eliminated from the contest on the first play-off hole scoring a bogey, with Cabrera also looking beaten when his drive met the trees. A clean, swooping drive from Perry gave the impression the jacket was his but after a well-calculated shot from Cabrera from the trees, both players made par.

The climax of the Masters was reached and all eyes were on only two men: Kenny Perry and Angel Cabrera. Walking up to the 10th tee, the two isolated figures desperately tried to block out all distractions. They passed spectators’, whose eyes were wide and mouths open, everyone knew what was on each other’s minds. Would Perry be the oldest player ever to win the Masters, at 48 years-of-age, or would Cabrera be the first Argentinean to ever win the tournament? Records are set to be broken and the Masters was set to go out with a bang.

Within 10 minutes the waiting was over and the winner was established. Angel Cabrera with a par and Kenny Perry, who had a fifteen-yard putt to win it on his 72nd , with a bogey. As the Argentine was awarded the much sought after green jacket and applause filled this magnificent course, the man in the midst of glory summed up this famous competition perfectly: "It’s the Masters. A lot of birdies, a lot of bogeys, a lot of magical things. Simply the Masters."

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:35 pm

Nah - too much like a match report ... It's colour I'm looking for and while its interspersed in that article there is too much actual reporting!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:39 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Nah - too much like a match report ... It's colour I'm looking for and while its interspersed in that article there is too much actual reporting!

Maybe cos it is a match report Razz Hmmmmm I wonder who wrote it? Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:43 pm

LilMaighEo wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:Nah - too much like a match report ... It's colour I'm looking for and while its interspersed in that article there is too much actual reporting!

Maybe cos it is a match report Razz Hmmmmm I wonder who wrote it? Very Happy

I'd say it was part of a school project. And whoever won (not this one unfortunately) - got their homework off for the whole week. Oh, and a gold star!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down