GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joe Brolly "analysis"

+12
KerryKatriona
OMAR
Boxtyeater
bocerty
Real Kerry Fan
bald eagle
GAA-Fan
Thomas Clarke
patsymc
Parouisa
RMDrive
whiterbananas
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Joe Brolly "analysis" Empty Joe Brolly "analysis"

Post  whiterbananas Tue May 01, 2012 7:36 pm

How is this fool still allowed to give his opinions on the national broadcaster? Last sunday he launched a scathing attack on donal vaughan of mayo while completely ignoring cork's noel o'leary and his appalling behaviour during the game. Selective analysis as usual from RTE and from this idiot especially. He is the one who is a disgrace, not vaughan
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo
Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Joe Brolly "analysis" Empty Re: Joe Brolly "analysis"

Post  RMDrive Tue May 01, 2012 8:52 pm

whiterbananas wrote:How is this fool still allowed to give his opinions on the national broadcaster? Last sunday he launched a scathing attack on donal vaughan of mayo while completely ignoring cork's noel o'leary and his appalling behaviour during the game. Selective analysis as usual from RTE and from this idiot especially. He is the one who is a disgrace, not vaughan

Actually I think you'll find Vaughan was a disgrace as well WB. I'm sorry to say that this is typical of Mayo fans. Rather than face up to the fact that their team lost and talk about that, they look to latch onto something else to distract their own attention from the loss. In this case the county is up in arms about Brolly. Joe's analysis could have focused on both teams - that doesn't change the fact that Vaughan dived. And for a lad who was throwing it round a bit all afternoon it was a wee bit daft to see him go down like that.

It's important to remember that the ref handled that incident well. I really hope that this is the year when diving and feigning injury and pulling the tacklers hand into you to draw a free stops being rewarded. Because it's not about getting players to stop doing it, it's about getting refs to stop rewarding it. And that goes for my own county as well as any others. All teams do it to try to gan an advantage. A good 12 months of it not being given any credence by refs will so eradicate it.

2012, the year that the GAA eliminated diving, simulation, feigning injury .... you heard it here first.

Good man Joe Brolly.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Tue May 01, 2012 9:19 pm

vaughan got pushed 4 times in the neck in the space of about 20 seconds and obviously decided the ref is gonna do nothing about this unless i fall down. He then immediately realised what he had done was a bit daft and jumped back up. He didnt roll around and pretend he was really hurt. We'd all like to see diving eradicated from the game. I would also like to see an end to pushing players to their neck, throwing footballs at players faces and pulling and dragging at players who are clearly injured, all of which cork players were guilty of despite brolly's nonsense about how "honest" cork were. I would also like to see fair and proper analysis from people who know what they're talking about, not BS and diatribe from idiots like brolly and spillane. A bit of fairness is all we're asking for
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo
Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue May 01, 2012 10:02 pm

Far worse went on that what Vaughan did. While diving is reprehensible so too is trying to knock a players teeth out. Brolly has this GAA type of mentality where he'd rather see some fella break a jaw than take a dive. The dive is the bigger crime in some eyes. Yes we do not want to see soccerball antics in GAA but GBH isn't good either.

Don't forget though that Brolly is a barrister - so if he labels Cork as 'honest' (m'lud) the reality is usually the opposite. If I was using one word to sum them up last Sunday it would be filthy.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  patsymc Tue May 01, 2012 10:05 pm

couldnt make out why cork and mayo carried on like they on sunday,didnt know their was any history between the teams,might team should be charged for disgraceful carry on,was their anything on the joe duffy show
patsymc
patsymc
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

london
Number of posts : 178

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:22 pm

Joe Brolly is an absolute disgrace to analysts everywhere. He is, without doubt, the worst analyst on RTE's panel. What sets Joe apart from the likes of Tony Davis, Pat Spillane and a few others who are completely ignorant of the modern game, is Joe's voracious appetite for telling lies.

Not content with waffling aimlessly about games/teams that he has barely cast an eye over, Joe is that most dangerous of creatures, a media personality who is happy to completely fabricate stories to justify whatever predetermined point he had in his head on any given day.

Last Sunday, after Tyrone put up 19 points in a fine game against Armagh, Joe likened Tyrone's tactics to George Graham's Arsenal, even adding the old '1-0 to the Arsenal' jibe, to describe how Tyrone were set up. Eh, sorry Joe, but Tyrone played with 6 forwards, went man-for-man, and scored 19 times in the Athletic Grounds - hardly negative. With the scores level entering the final few minutes, Tyrone rattled off 3 points, 2 of them brilliant efforts from Stevie O'Neill and Peter Harte, yet Joe's view was that 'Tyrone, masters of the dark arts of gaelic football, closed out the game with 2 dives and a tactical cramp'. That is worse than poor analysis - it is lying.

Earlier in the day, Joe continued to blaze a trail against Jack O'Connor, telling us that Kerry were akin to Fermanagh, and that Jack had turned 'gold into dross'. (This followed on from his rant in Kerry's opening match, when he informed us that Kerry had won 3 AIs and 3 NFLs 'despite their manager' who, it must be added, also took his club side to a Munster final.) Joe informed us that Tomas O'Se was no longer bombing down the wing because of Jack's tactics. Sorry Joe, but as I've said for quite some time, the reason Tomas is no longer 'bombing down the wing' is a fairly simple one - he turns 34 this month. Same for Paul Galvin, who at almost 33 is shadow of the player he used to be, yet Joe believes that it is O'Connor, rather than Father Time who is impacting his game.

Perhaps Joe's most childish act on Sunday was to give a mock cheer and yelp 'What a result for Banty', when it was announced that Meath had drawn with Carlow. Joe should save such behaviour for the pub, if he must, and not sneer at the Meath fans on national television.

I really don't know why RTE have this guy there (OK, I do know, as he gets people talking - case in point here), but he is the worst of the worst when it comes to gaelic football analysts.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:38 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Joe Brolly is an absolute disgrace to analysts everywhere. He is, without doubt, the worst analyst on RTE's panel. What sets Joe apart from the likes of Tony Davis, Pat Spillane and a few others who are completely ignorant of the modern game, is Joe's voracious appetite for telling lies.

Not content with waffling aimlessly about games/teams that he has barely cast an eye over, Joe is that most dangerous of creatures, a media personality who is happy to completely fabricate stories to justify whatever predetermined point he had in his head on any given day.

Last Sunday, after Tyrone put up 19 points in a fine game against Armagh, Joe likened Tyrone's tactics to George Graham's Arsenal, even adding the old '1-0 to the Arsenal' jibe, to describe how Tyrone were set up. Eh, sorry Joe, but Tyrone played with 6 forwards, went man-for-man, and scored 19 times in the Athletic Grounds - hardly negative. With the scores level entering the final few minutes, Tyrone rattled off 3 points, 2 of them brilliant efforts from Stevie O'Neill and Peter Harte, yet Joe's view was that 'Tyrone, masters of the dark arts of gaelic football, closed out the game with 2 dives and a tactical cramp'. That is worse than poor analysis - it is lying.

Earlier in the day, Joe continued to blaze a trail against Jack O'Connor, telling us that Kerry were akin to Fermanagh, and that Jack had turned 'gold into dross'. (This followed on from his rant in Kerry's opening match, when he informed us that Kerry had won 3 AIs and 3 NFLs 'despite their manager' who, it must be added, also took his club side to a Munster final.) Joe informed us that Tomas O'Se was no longer bombing down the wing because of Jack's tactics. Sorry Joe, but as I've said for quite some time, the reason Tomas is no longer 'bombing down the wing' is a fairly simple one - he turns 34 this month. Same for Paul Galvin, who at almost 33 is shadow of the player he used to be, yet Joe believes that it is O'Connor, rather than Father Time who is impacting his game.

Perhaps Joe's most childish act on Sunday was to give a mock cheer and yelp 'What a result for Banty', when it was announced that Meath had drawn with Carlow. Joe should save such behaviour for the pub, if he must, and not sneer at the Meath fans on national television.

I really don't know why RTE have this guy there (OK, I do know, as he gets people talking - case in point here), but he is the worst of the worst when it comes to gaelic football analysts.

When I first watched the game I do think one of the Tyrone forwards went down a bit too easy. Have not said anythign for the time being because I want to watch it again - so far no luck.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:44 pm

Mark Donnelly was pushed in the back for a free. Whether he went down easily not (and he was entitled to, having been fouled) to say that Tyrone closed out the game with 2 dives and a tactical cramp is not true. I recall Tyrone closing out the game with 3 points, 2 were great scores from play, and the other was a 21 yard free due to a tackle from behind/push in the back, whatever you want to call it.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:52 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Mark Donnelly was pushed in the back for a free. Whether he went down easily not (and he was entitled to, having been fouled) to say that Tyrone closed out the game with 2 dives and a tactical cramp is not true. I recall Tyrone closing out the game with 3 points, 2 were great scores from play, and the other was a 21 yard free due to a tackle from behind/push in the back, whatever you want to call it.

Like I said, only seen it the once and would like to watch it again, Im not fussed either way as Tyrone deserved the win. Then there was another incident in the first half where a tyrone player has the ball and intentionally booted an Armagh player in the legs and got away with it. An Armagh player did something similiar but Tyrone got a free.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:00 pm

I'm not going to get into a 'he did, she did' with you GF, as if you really want to go down that road, I'd estimate that Finian Moriarty probably got away with well over 100 fouls on Peter Harte in the hour he was on the field.

Anyway, the point I was making was about Brolly being allowed to say whatever comes into his head, and usually that consists of making things up to suit his own agenda.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:11 pm

It sounds like lazy analysis of the highest order! What RTE need to do is look for some new, better pundits as the current set up is getting stale!

They should look for some recently retired players who can give a better insight into why certain things happen instead of the old line of personal agendas. Sky unearthed a very good pundit in Gary Neville who, despite is connections to Man United, has proven himself to give views that are right to the point and not favouring or slagging off any particular club. RTE need to find the same type of new pundit!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:41 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:I'm not going to get into a 'he did, she did' with you GF, as if you really want to go down that road, I'd estimate that Finian Moriarty probably got away with well over 100 fouls on Peter Harte in the hour he was on the field.

Anyway, the point I was making was about Brolly being allowed to say whatever comes into his head, and usually that consists of making things up to suit his own agenda.

But you then talk about 'he did, she did' with reference to Moriarity. The point I am trying to make here TC is that I am not defending Armagh. Tyrone are not as innocent as most Tyrone fans seem to think they are. Its time everyone accepted that there are players who will go that one step further to win.

Like I said, didn't have any problems with Tyrone winning even if I personally feel that a few dubious decisions were made. I was very impressed with how Armagh played apart from the closing stages of the game. Im sure with a few more competitive games they should hopefully progress further than recent year in the All Ireland.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:56 pm

bald eagle wrote:It sounds like lazy analysis of the highest order! What RTE need to do is look for some new, better pundits as the current set up is getting stale!

They should look for some recently retired players who can give a better insight into why certain things happen instead of the old line of personal agendas. Sky unearthed a very good pundit in Gary Neville who, despite is connections to Man United, has proven himself to give views that are right to the point and not favouring or slagging off any particular club. RTE need to find the same type of new pundit!

I totally agree. Pain the A**E frpm listening to Spillane and Brolly.Colm O'Rourke seems to to be the only pundit who can analysise a game properly. The other two are only interested in smart rehearsed one liners and 'lets be critical of present day football' Look anything would be better than them. Leave O'Rourke there but please bring in maybe Paul Galvin when Kerry are knocked out next month.Also Sean Cavanagh might be worth a try.
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:32 pm

What makes you think Galvin would be a good pundit RKF? I'd say he'd be very much in the Brolly mode - saying stuff for effect.

I wouldn't worry too much about what he says at all. But its the old story of if you have the reputation for getting up early, you can stay in bed all day.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:57 pm

He was on a number of occasions the Setanta midday Sunday sports discussion with Eoin McDevitt. Seemed not bad. Surprised
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:03 pm

Ah I dunno .... though if I want to know what cufflinks to wear with me grandfather shirt I might listen to him .....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:50 pm

I would like to see a player with a bit of intelligence doing the punditry, the don't have to be an All Ireland winner or someone who is trying to make a name for himself by being controversial, AKA Parkinson.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:41 pm

He's a guy i find very hard to take to be honest and his biggest problem is he is rarely consistent with his views, one week he argues one point the following week he is contradicting himself ala Pat Spillane. I didnt hear much of what he said after the Tyrone game but the schite he went over after the Kerry game was grade A muck.

Talking about Tomas O'Se not bombing up and down the wing like he used to, and slabbering about Jack O'Connor and how they were playing like Fermanagh. Does he not realise these guys have been round a long time and are at the end of their careers???? Does he also forget they are amateur sportsmen who are getting nothing for their troubles, unlike him sitting in the comfort of a warm studio getting fed and watered like a lord and getting a nice few euros in the back pocket for his words of wisdom. Nothing like trying to be sensational the whole time and exaggerating nearly every point you make. Only that Mark Sidebottom is so bad on BBC1 along with that whining cnut Oisin McConville i wouldnt watch RTE at all, fir e in Martin McHugh and Jarlath Burns and you have a cure for constipation

Thankfully we have O'Rourke to bring some form of normality and realism to proceedings, most of the time i would agree with what O'Rourke has to say he is knowledgeable and honest along with it and obviously doesnt feel the need to bullshit like his learned friend. He says it how he sees it not like Joe who always feels the need to go to extremes!!!!!

There arent too many good analysts about, Mc Stay Davis and Tohill spend so much time on the fence they have splinters, havent heard too much of Whelan so cant say an awful lot. Senan Connell on Setanta wasnt great either.

bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:37 am

Brolly probably the first and only Ulster analyst to criticise his own .... cardinal sin. OK for Spillane and others to do so .. but rarely (never) has or will an Ulsterman do it. Perhaps that is the reason for the discomfort here. The mention of dark arts etc is usually the preserve of biased media elsewhere.

Personally I take him with the grain of salt he deserves. Teams wll be judged in the fullness of time by the wider GAA public. I am confident that the Dubs in 2011 will be looked back on fondly for many years to come - despite some Brollyisms throughout the season. Meath teams, Cork perhaps and Tyrone - Armagh even - may never get the credit an All Ireland win deserves. Galway and Kerry wallow in the credit ....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:35 am

Parouisa wrote:Brolly probably the first and only Ulster analyst to criticise his own .... cardinal sin. OK for Spillane and others to do so .. but rarely (never) has or will an Ulsterman do it. Perhaps that is the reason for the discomfort here. The mention of dark arts etc is usually the preserve of biased media elsewhere.

I couldn't honestly give a toss if he slags off Ulster teams or not, some people on here (perhaps yourself included) have an obsession that we in Ulster don't want to hear a bad word said against our teams, if Derry played badly, i expect them to be critisied, don't have a problem at all with it, i don't wish to speak for any of our other posters but i suspectthey are the same when it comes to their county. What i do want is someone who is going to give me reasons WHY we played badly, elements that worked against us and areas where we were good. I don't want some crusty old arxehole pushing his retoric for the sake of it. Slating a team for handpassing too much, or getting men behind the ball quickly is, i in my eyes, lazy analysis. These are intelligent men, i want them to delve deeper. I want unbiased, honest opinions and tactical analysis and these men currently don't give it.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:56 pm

Parouisa wrote:Brolly probably the first and only Ulster analyst to criticise his own .... cardinal sin. OK for Spillane and others to do so .. but rarely (never) has or will an Ulsterman do it. Perhaps that is the reason for the discomfort here. The mention of dark arts etc is usually the preserve of biased media elsewhere.

Personally I take him with the grain of salt he deserves. Teams wll be judged in the fullness of time by the wider GAA public. I am confident that the Dubs in 2011 will be looked back on fondly for many years to come - despite some Brollyisms throughout the season. Meath teams, Cork perhaps and Tyrone - Armagh even - may never get the credit an All Ireland win deserves. Galway and Kerry wallow in the credit ....

Hardly when Martin McHugh does it on a regular basis too, not quite as aggressively as Brolly but he does it all the same.

To suggest it is an Ulster thing is bullsh1t of the highest order P, you do push this agenda on a regular basis of Ulster folk and some perception of a siege mentality we all have, were the foundations for this mad notion you have originate from only you know but perhaps you'd give it a rest it's getting a bit nauseating at this stage.

The post I wrote previous to this was mainly about Brollys comments about Kerry last week, unless the border has moved Kerry was nowhere near Ulster last times looked. My 'dislike' for Brolly has nothing to do with his criticism of ULster teams, it's the fact that he is always looking for the dramatic, sensational storyline while avoiding the actual realities of the situation he is talking about. In someways it looks like all he is bothered with is being more controversial than his sidekick Pat. More to the point it's the capacity to contradict himself from week to the next which irks me greatly. He has no real principles or firm beliefs in what he discusses and adjusts his comments just to be controversial.

Colm O'Rourke has had a go at Ulster teams in the past too not least his comment about Brian Dooher and eating hats, but at least O 'Rourke had the balls to eat his hat and admit he got it wrong, you dont see too many Ulster folk giving off about O'Rourke, Brolly on the other hand would never admit to being wrong.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:15 am

Jayus christ ye get very fooking protective, defensive ....

Ye should be Dubs...
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:17 am

Parouisa wrote:Jayus christ ye get very fooking protective, defensive ....

Ye should be Dubs...

not protective or defensive, but these lazy comments alluding to all Ulster supporters being ultra sensitive are starting to wear thin.

Change the record....................
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:20 am

bocerty wrote:
Parouisa wrote:Jayus christ ye get very fooking protective, defensive ....

Ye should be Dubs...

not protective or defensive, but these lazy comments alluding to all Ulster supporters being ultra sensitive are starting to wear thin.

Change the record....................

Ok - And now for Bocerty we have Kajagoogoo and Too Shy Shy ....

Alright ???? Laughing
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:51 am

Looking at all this spiel, you might wonder how this forum survived this long...

Saying that, it's on it's last legs....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down