GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Railway Cup

+7
Boxtyeater
bald eagle
Jayo Cluxton
The Puke
Thomas Clarke
black&white
North Side Gael
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Railway Cup Empty Railway Cup

Post  North Side Gael Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:05 pm

Is this totally dead or will Liam O Neill get them going again, he did promise to make an effort didnt he?

Think it would be worthwhile if it was picked from non inter county players and ex county players who still play club, with the games being held by a county each year, ie casement park hosting the four semi finals one weekend with four finals and sheild and cup final being held a fort night later in another county say parnel park.

Or have it all one weekend, with friday playing host to the semis and the finals being held over saturday and sunday.

Sort of like a festival weekend of GAA with that county in charge of promoting the games and organising a concert on the last night or something.

I dont know but i think we could turn it into a spectacle festival of GAA if we work hard enough.
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim
Number of posts : 1199

Back to top Go down

Railway Cup Empty Re: Railway Cup

Post  Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:48 pm

North Side Gael wrote:Is this totally dead or will Liam O Neill get them going again, he did promise to make an effort didnt he?

Think it would be worthwhile if it was picked from non inter county players and ex county players who still play club, with the games being held by a county each year, ie casement park hosting the four semi finals one weekend with four finals and sheild and cup final being held a fort night later in another county say parnel park.

Or have it all one weekend, with friday playing host to the semis and the finals being held over saturday and sunday.

Sort of like a festival weekend of GAA with that county in charge of promoting the games and organising a concert on the last night or something.

I dont know but i think we could turn it into a spectacle festival of GAA if we work hard enough.

That would bring the crowds in ok, sky sport would die to get that up and running. I'd say Liam will get it into trumera's new all seater covered stadium.

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:50 pm

dhorse wrote:
North Side Gael wrote:Is this totally dead or will Liam O Neill get them going again, he did promise to make an effort didnt he?

That would bring the crowds in ok, sky sport would die to get that up and running. I'd say Liam will get it into trumera's new all seater covered stadium.

wheres that?
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:02 pm

Think it's a good competition to be retained, especially for players from weaker counties.
But, I don't see it really being a big crowd puller in the near future. The qualifiers were the final nail in the coffin, so to speak.

A big part of the appeal of the old Railway Cup was that people could get to see the very best from outside their own province, in an era when only the AI Final was shown live. As more and more games became televised and people could see the best from around the country in their own living rooms, the appeal on the inter-pros started to wane.

The Qualifiers now means that people get even greater exposure to teams from other provinces. This reduces the appeal to fans, as does the qualifiers meaning that the top players tend to be involved a lot later into the summer, and less willing to participate in the inter-pros.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:26 pm

North Side Gael wrote:
dhorse wrote:

wheres that?

Adjacent to Liam's house, also near Shanahoe and Colt.. that Valuable ram on another thread probably had eyed up it's verdant turf

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:50 am

black&white wrote:Think it's a good competition to be retained, especially for players from weaker counties.
But, I don't see it really being a big crowd puller in the near future. The qualifiers were the final nail in the coffin, so to speak.

A big part of the appeal of the old Railway Cup was that people could get to see the very best from outside their own province, in an era when only the AI Final was shown live. As more and more games became televised and people could see the best from around the country in their own living rooms, the appeal on the inter-pros started to wane.

The Qualifiers now means that people get even greater exposure to teams from other provinces. This reduces the appeal to fans, as does the qualifiers meaning that the top players tend to be involved a lot later into the summer, and less willing to participate in the inter-pros.

Maybe though as a county gets to hold the entire event for one weekend in like an end of year or start of year celebration it would attract more, sort of like a GAA fleadh, music the works and all on after the games, with open air bars and all the like in a friendly atmosphere.
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:34 am

North Side Gael wrote:
Think it would be worthwhile if it was picked from non inter county players and ex county players who still play club,

i think we could turn it into a spectacle festival of GAA if we work hard enough.

This is your idea to save the Railway Cup? Tell me, if only a few hundred fans can be bothered to turn out to watch Sean Cavanagh, the Gooch and Bernard Brogan face off against each other, what makes you think that replacing those guys with John Henry McNobody and Seamus O'Past-it will suddenly return the competition to its former glories?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:01 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
North Side Gael wrote:
Think it would be worthwhile if it was picked from non inter county players and ex county players who still play club,

i think we could turn it into a spectacle festival of GAA if we work hard enough.

This is your idea to save the Railway Cup? Tell me, if only a few hundred fans can be bothered to turn out to watch Sean Cavanagh, the Gooch and Bernard Brogan face off against each other, what makes you think that replacing those guys with John Henry McNobody and Seamus O'Past-it will suddenly return the competition to its former glories?

As those boys dont care, maybe if you where not allowed to pick players from the two provincial finalists or something it would be better, but we need to find a way of involving the club, maybe teams of 50:50. 50% inter county and 50% non county, this would be interesting, you could run trials in each county to select the team.
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:07 pm

Scrap the thing, it doesn't fit into the calender and since the introduction of the backdoor it's significance has greatly deminished
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:22 pm

North Side Gael wrote:[quote="black&white

Maybe though as a county gets to hold the entire event for one weekend in like an end of year or start of year celebration it would attract more, sort of like a GAA fleadh, music the works and all on after the games, with open air bars and all the like in a friendly atmosphere.

open air bars in dec/jan sounds like the business. the wolfe tones might bring in a crowd though

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:45 pm

dhorse wrote:

open air bars in dec/jan sounds like the business. the wolfe tones might bring in a crowd though

Defo the tones, they use to fill the pitch in Ardoyne every year until the provos decommissioned and couldnt control it anymore so it was scrapped as the PSNI are useless feckers who couldnt control a crowd in a bar never mind a few thousand!
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:05 pm

North Side Gael wrote:
dhorse wrote:

Defo the tones, they use to fill the pitch in Ardoyne every year until the provos decommissioned and couldnt control it anymore so it was scrapped as the PSNI are useless feckers who couldnt control a crowd in a bar never mind a few thousand!

Is there not a continuity wolfe tones these days..

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:33 am

If the Railway Cup was on in my back garden I'd draw the curtains. If the Wolfe Tones were on I'd pull the blinds as well ..... Rolling Eyes
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:38 pm

Joe Kernan has announced his Ulster squad and it features no players from either Antrim or his native Armagh.

Ulster are looking for their 15th win in the last 25 years, a record almost as remarkable as Connaught's zero wins in the last 45 years.

Ulster football panel 2014

Cavan: David Givney, Eugene Keating, Rory Dunne, Cian Mackey

Derry: Chrissy McKaigue, James Kielt, Sean Leo McGoldrick

Donegal: Neil McGee, Eamonn McGee, Karl Lacey, Mark McHugh, Michael Murphy

Down: Mark Poland, Kevin McKernan

Fermanagh: Ryan McCluskey, Eoin Donnelly, Ryan Jones

Monaghan: Rory Beggan, Colin Walshe, Conor McManus, Kieran Hughes

Tyrone: Peter Harte, Sean Cavanagh, Niall Morgan, Conor Clarke, Colm Cavanagh, Matthew Donnelly, Darren McCurry
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:49 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:a record almost as remarkable as Connaught's zero wins in the last 45 years.

This is almost as good as Ulsters record in the hurling!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:53 pm

bald eagle wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:a record almost as remarkable as Connaught's zero wins in the last 45 years.

Ulster play hurling??
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:08 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
bald eagle wrote:

Ulster play hurling??

It seems like we don't - 139 spectators for a 7th month delayed Ulster final…
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:25 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:
bald eagle wrote:

Ulster play hurling??

It seems like we don't - 139 spectators for a 7th month delayed Ulster final…
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The attendance is not the most worrying thing about that article TC, the biggest is that Liam O'Neill, a self professed hurling man (and a man i have a lot of time for), is defending the Ulster councils attitude to hurling!! How can he seriously defend that?

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:46 pm

The trouble for the organisation is that they have two main products, both of which are in direct competition with each other.  There isn't another business that would be run this way.  I mean, a man may own 2 bars/restaurants in the same town, but they will both be packaged differently and aimed at different markets.  

Gaelic Football and Hurling are in direct competition for elite athletes, and having them run by the same people in the same way means that you will have a winner and a loser.  Hurling people should not be let a novel and (therefore) successful 2013 SHC fool them - they are very much losing the war, and will continue to do so without radical change.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:30 pm

bald eagle wrote:

Last winning Connacht team from 1969.

P Brennan Sligo.
N Colleran, N Tierney Galway, R Creaven Ros.
J Morley and J Carey Mayo, L Caffrey Sligo,
J Duggan Galway, D Earley Ros.
H O'Carroll Leitrim, J Collery and M Kearns Sligo.
J Corcoran and W McGee Mayo, J Keenan Galway. Sub S Leydon.

Incredible. Harry O'Carroll of Leitrim was quare lucky to keep a place on the Leitrim team at the time.

It's shameful to think of all the great Connacht players who have graced the country since then who are now sadly bemoaning the failure of the Connacht Council to get their act in order. Mickey and Seamus Quinn, Mickey Martin, Declan Darcy, Mossy Beirne  affraid  Ja Fallon, PJ, Seán óg dePaor, Ciaran Mac and The Mort, Tony Mac, Dermot/Paul Earley, The Mayor Lindsay, Ross Donovan, Eamon O'Hara  pale 

Time up for John Prenty.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:41 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
bald eagle wrote:

P Brennan Sligo.

Incredible. Harry O'Carroll of Leitrim was quare lucky to keep a place on the Leitrim team at the time.

It's shameful to think of all the great Connacht players who have graced the country since then who are now sadly bemoaning the failure of the Connacht Council to get their act in order. Mickey and Seamus Quinn, Mickey Martin, Declan Darcy, Mossy Beirne  affraid  Ja Fallon, PJ, Seán óg dePaor, Ciaran Mac and The Mort, Tony Mac, Dermot/Paul Earley, The Mayor Lindsay, Ross Donovan, Eamon O'Hara  pale 

Time up for John Prenty.

Great find, Boxty. A few huge names on that Connaught side but, as you say, it's pretty poor that they haven't managed to win back-to-back games once in the last 45 years, especially given the amount of top players they've produced. Perhaps the camaraderie in Ulster is that bit greater than in the other provinces.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Early_Ball_In Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:44 pm

I'm a big fan of the Inter-Provincials and I think everything should be done to retain and promote the competition. I mean, when you compare the money spent on promoting the International Rules circus to that spent on The Railway Cup the difference is astounding.

If it were up to me I would play the Inter-Provincials in early October after the conclusion of the AI Championship. Like four manger selected all-star teams picked based on player-form throughout the league and championship, and when players are at peak fitness. Make it more of an honour to be picked. What point is there in All-Star team 2013 v All-Star team 2012?

I would genuinely like to hear you views on this idea lads.
Early_Ball_In
Early_Ball_In
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Down
Number of posts : 20

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:53 pm

Early_Ball_In wrote:I'm a big fan of the Inter-Provincials and I think everything should be done to retain and promote the competition. I mean, when you compare the money spent on promoting the International Rules circus to that spent on The Railway Cup the difference is astounding.

If it were up to me I would play the Inter-Provincials in early October after the conclusion of the AI Championship. Like four manger selected all-star teams picked based on player-form throughout the league and championship, and when players are at peak fitness. Make it more of an honour to be picked. What point is there in All-Star team 2013 v All-Star team 2012?

I would genuinely like to hear you views on this idea lads.

I totally agree with all of this, and have thought the same myself re. the October date.  You could effectively have lads awarded provincial all-stars for their performances during the year, and these are the players who would be selected to represent their provinces in the Railway Cup.  Make it more of an honour type thing, and reward the lads by playing the final in Dubai or the likes.  

I'm still not sure how much mileage there would be in it, and the end result may well be equally tiny crowds, but it makes more sense to me than an arbitrary selection of players slogging it out in February.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:11 am

Boxtyeater wrote:
bald eagle wrote:

P Brennan Sligo.

Time up for John Prenty.

One that died too soon another murdered. Are the rest still alive?

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:09 pm

Leinster 3-21 Ulster 2-26 (AET)
Connacht 3-19 Munster 2-16

Lack of defending in the Railway by the looks of it. Ulster odds on for 3 in a row now.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next