GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The War

5 posters

Go down

The War Empty The War

Post  Sawyer Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:16 pm

25 years on from one of the most brutal fights in history - Hagler vs Hearns, one of those rare fights that enhance the reputations of both men.

They don't make them like this anymore: The War
Sawyer
Sawyer
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Louth
Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

The War Empty Re: The War

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:20 pm

Awesome era for Middleweights. Add in Duran and Leonard and you had some awesome fights. The Four Kings as George Kimball titled them in his book!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:24 pm

Jesus, I am getting old. I remember as though it was yesterday, although that may be because I've re-watched it many times since!

The first round is generally acknowledged as the greatest in boxing history, with both men forgetting tactics or gameplans, and just hammering the hell out of each other.

Hearns was favoured by many to win the fight, but by the end of the first round he had hit Hagler with countless big right crosses, and Hagler was still standing. It was just a matter of time after that. Although he would win a few more world titles, Hearns was probably never the same after that beating, while Hagler only fought twice more - another brawl with John 'The Beast' Mugabi, and the Leonard robbery.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Sawyer Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:55 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Jesus, I am getting old. I remember as though it was yesterday, although that may be because I've re-watched it many times since!

The first round is generally acknowledged as the greatest in boxing history, with both men forgetting tactics or gameplans, and just hammering the hell out of each other.

Hearns was favoured by many to win the fight, but by the end of the first round he had hit Hagler with countless big right crosses, and Hagler was still standing. It was just a matter of time after that. Although he would win a few more world titles, Hearns was probably never the same after that beating, while Hagler only fought twice more - another brawl with John 'The Beast' Mugabi, and the Leonard robbery.

Hearns broke his hand on Hagler's hand. Hagler really was like a lump of granite.

Apparently Hearns was weakened by a pre-fight massage, and had to throw game plan and all out the window. He had no choice but to go for the early KO.

Read a bit of that book Jayo, a great read. Four of the greatest of all time.
Sawyer
Sawyer
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Louth
Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post  Breffni39 Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:41 pm

George Kimball is on off the ball tonight to talk about Hearns. Apparently he has to sell everything he owns to pay debts The War Icon_sad
Breffni39
Breffni39
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Cavan
Number of posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:41 pm

Breffni39 wrote:George Kimball is on off the ball tonight to talk about Hearns. Apparently he has to sell everything he owns to pay debts The War Icon_sad

Who? George Kimball??? The War Affraid
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:32 pm

Thomas Clarke mentions Hagler being robbed against Leonard.

Hugh McIlvanney said that Hagler could have sat on his stool after round 7 and still got the decision if it had been straight.

However the TV people and such thought Leonard could sell more tickets.

happens all the time these days.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down