GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What else have you played?

+12
SamiPremier08
mullins
Boxtyeater
GAA-Fan
bald eagle
black&white
mossbags
clash-of-da-ash
patrique
bocerty
Dougal
Jayo Cluxton
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What else have you played? Empty What else have you played?

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:25 pm

Assuming most people have played most GAA sports - I was not a bad footballer but gave up early, did some hurley until someone tried to de-wrist me and won my first ever medal at handball!!

Other sports? Soccer was my main game and I played for about 15 years until my knees caved in - with a fair bit of success in latter years. Played a bit of golf but the game drives me mad due to my inconsistency my dodgy trapped nerve and my woeful putting - similar mini nightmares with p&p. Haven't had a go at Formula 1 racing yet but have a few penalty points to my credit. At 6'4" never got the opportunity to get on a horse - lucky horses. Have bashed a tennis ball around a few times - a much more physical and demanding game than it looks. Snooker annoys me (inconsistency again) - similarly darts - lack of alcohol a factor here. Never got a go at cricket but would have loved to - drinking all day - what a game - would love a go at Taverners! Rugby too eluded me being from the Northside - a great game that the blazers are trying hard to ruin .... like the GAA?!?!? Had cousins who played interpro hockey but never tried it and have to say it does nothing for me as a spectator. Swam a bit too (had a pool in the school - posh Laughing ) and won a relay medal cos we had an Irish Olympic swimmer (not her!) in our team. Never did rowing or any watersports but reckon the size 12 shoes might have made me a good water skier. Never did winter sports either - aside from sliding around the ice on the way home from the local around Christmas gone. Mother (God rest her) wouldn't let me box - said I was too good looking Laughing . Did a bit of recreational cycling and never really got into the athletics either - drug free as I am... Laughing Thats about it - jaysus I've done f*** all really, even though I love most sports! affraid
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

What else have you played? Empty Re: What else have you played?

Post  Dougal Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:43 pm

jesus...you havent done much?i played alot of badminton for a good few years,and very little sport other than that.might head back again and try get into some sort of decent shape.tried a bit of the auld F1 driving on the main roads aswell,no schumacher,but id say id be handy enough at it. Cool
Dougal
Dougal
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan
Number of posts : 289

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:50 pm

Dougal wrote:jesus...you havent done much?i played alot of badminton for a good few years,

Yep did a bit of badminton at youth clubs but it was deemed a bit soft here in Dublin and even though I am tall and went to a school with a very successful basketball history - again I didn't take to it - and it was viewed as a 'soft' sport!! (Only the swots played!). 5 fouls and you're gone! How long would Ricey last? Razz
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:52 pm

Well I play camoige at the moment, and I used to play football before I realized I didn't like playing it. I play on a girls soccer team during the summer but only because my friends make me. I used to be in a badminton club but gave it up when it started clashing with ballet. I was fairly handy at rounders in school, I think the hurling helped with that. I swim a fair bit too, every weekend if possible. Did kick boxing there for a while until I fighured out that I had enough of people trying to hit me in camogie without joining a sport where that's actually what you're meant to do. I've been doing a fair bit of running lately to try get into something which some what resembles good shape for the championship. I love cycling but haven't currently got a bike which doesn't force my knees up to my chin. I love basketball and play for my school.

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:56 pm

tried my hand at most of them myself Jayo, gaelic and hurling were the main ones but have also played soccer handball squash badminton golf (would play more of it if i could hit a ball straight with a driver) also done cycling though it take me a while to realise it was infinitely more comfortable with a saddle on the bike!!!!!

Love the old darts especially with a picture of Paddy Russell on the bullseye used to have great craic in the younger days in the local with the darts. Dabbled with a bit of tennis too and like you JC i found its not as easy as it looks and requires quite a bit of fitness. Tried a bit of volleyball and rounders - never had the opportunity to play rugby but would have loved to have had.

Was quite lucky that i took to most sports with a fair bit of ease.

Next on the agenda is mud wrestling and bog snorkling
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:13 am

RoyalGirl wrote:I used to be in a badminton club but gave it up when it started clashing with ballet.

Amazing RG - exact same thing happened to me!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:16 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
RoyalGirl wrote:I used to be in a badminton club but gave it up when it started clashing with ballet.

Amazing RG - exact same thing happened to me!

What are the chances!?!?

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:20 am

Could never quite master my jetes .... Sad
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:22 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Could never quite master my jetes .... Sad

I hope by that you mean grand jetés Smile just jetés are normal. Once you can do the splits off either leg and the box splits grand jetés are no bother Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:54 am

I represented the school at athletics, football and hurling.

Also played soccer, leading scorer in the South Manchester and wythenshawe league once, snooker, darts, dominoes (a serious and dangerous game in England) pool to a very high standard, a bit of golf and crown green bowls.

i also have a few cricket trophies with the works team in sunny lancashire.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:58 am

I used to play soccer mainly, was only in the paper last week for my soccer exploits. Used to play a lot of darts last year I thought I was quite good until I got hammered by a few pub dart players, I prefer pool though. Played most sports mentioned but not at a competitive level.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:07 am

[quote="patrique"] dominoes (a serious and dangerous game in England) quote]

I can confirm this to be true. We used to let the local Caribbeans use one of the back rooms of the pub to play their dominoes when I worked in London. Paddy knew better than to go near them when a game was in progress.Between sipping their bottles of stout or pints of red stripe you could hear nowt but fists banging tables, Jamaicans and Trinidadian shouting and screaming their heads off and the odd fist letting loose and fook knows what else.
Sound lads to a man though
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:35 am

Have tried the hand at most sports, with varying degrees of success.
Played a lot of soccer in my younger days, with three FAI medals (U-16 club, U-18 Interleague, U-13 Schools) to show for it. Was extremely lucky to be the only passable keeper at an age-group that contained some seriously talented individuals! Played until I was 21, but when I moved to Dublin after college I packed competitive soccer in. Travelling home every weekend in the summer for football is enough, without having to do it for soccer in the winter as well.

Played quite a bit of golf in my teens, but stopped with college, and have only started back playing last summer again. Currently playing off 16, but haven't hit a ball since before Xmas due to work (did 14.8 billable hours today - standard day is 7.3!). I've a decent short game, and I'm fairly consistent with the putter. Problems arise off the tee though. No

Played rugby in school only, played second row. My Leaving Cert year was the first that we ever had a Senior Cup team, we won our first game 11-10, with yours truly scoring the winning try (from all of a yard out, with only a junior team winger to beat - Drico would have been proud of that one!). We then came up against a proper rugby team in the next round. Lost 28-0, and haven't played since. Thinking about trying to play a bit of Junior 3rds in Dublin next winter, but we'll see how the summer goes first.

Played basketball in school also. Great at winning rebounds, and good at lay-ups when close enough. Terrible doesn't even begin to describe my shooting though.

Played quite a lot of darts in the past, but not so much in the last 3 years. Was always pretty poor at checkouts, except for double 14 for some reason, could always hit that..... Question

Play quite a bit of pool and snooker in the Belfry in Sligo, usually how I start a Saturday night at home. Ok at both, but not great.

Played both tennis and table tennis in school, equally erratic with both.

Tried the hand at rounders in Community Games - when I hit the ball it'd fly. WHEN I hit the ball.

I've always wanted to try winter sports, and got my first experience of the slopes (skiing) two weekends ago. It's harder than it looks! I did manage to end the day with two runs down a green slope without falling, and one run down a blue slope with only 3 falls. cheers
One of the most enjoyable days I've had, and I'm itching to go again. One of the lads I went with is an experienced snowboarder, and spent the day on the black slopes (and did one double-black). He joined me for the run down the blue slope, fell getting off the chairlift, and dislocated his shoulder! I spent more time on my **** than on my skis, and ended up with no more than a euro-sized bruise on my arm.

Have done a bit of surfing at Strandhill, never gave it enough time to fully get the hang of it.

I tried my hand at Gridiron when I was in Colorado 4 years ago. A friend I was visiting plays in a tackle league there, and I played in a practice "scrimmage" game as a tight end (insert your own joke here). Mainly involved blocking for the QB, but peeled away for one or two passes as well. Really enjoyed it, but it's quite hard to get the head around all the calls, plays, etc, when you're also trying to play!

Was at an NHL game yesterday, and I have to say I'd love to give it a go. Barging lads into the perspex that surrounds the ice seems like a game made for me!
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:54 am

Apart from GAA i've played Soccer, Rugby (league and union), Aussie Rules, Kickboxing and play Golf at the moment, well when i say i play Golf i mean i lose Golf Balls!!!!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:29 am

Well I used to play Badminton-I was good at it too-but could never get the serving perfect!

I have always loved tennis, and I play mostly during the Summer and Autumn.

I played basketball and represented my school at the Championship, but I gave it up to concentrate on exams.

Absolutely adore golf. A huge contributor to people being inconsistent in golf, is the fact they have developed bad habits-like when you're putting, keep your wrists straight and don't flick your wrists when putting. I was having a lovely chat with a man in our local club on Saturday, and He was a pro. He played out a few holes with me and un-did my bad habits I had picked up. Golf is a really relaxing sport!

Snooker, again love it. I have my own table Very Happy

Tag Rugby, I don't play it anymore, but I really enjoyed it. I think there's a club starting up a team soon, and I think I might join.

I like to play soccer too, obviously!

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:38 am

Cant do watersports because I could never swim.

Gaelic Football for secondary school

Basketball for secondary school

Never stuck at any of them, but wish I did. My fitness is absoutley rubbish these days.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:52 am

Played football for years, played under-age hurling, played soccer, did a lot of cycling. Played Basketball, volleyball, Badminton at school but not since. The usual darts, Pool, Snooker pub leagues. Also have played golf since I was in my teens
Now a bit of 5 a side, Cycling and Golf.

One regret would be having never played any Rugby- There was none in our school and the nearest club was 25 miles away.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:37 am

Rugby, Surfin', Basketball, Tennis and Hurlin'.

Although, back in my schools day I technically represented my school at shot putt in the North Leinster Athletics championships. I never lifted a shot put before or after this occasion and pulled out a few minutes before I was supposed to take part owing the utter embarrassment it would cause, still got a trip to Santry though away from school.

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:08 pm

Ruanua wrote:One regret would be having never played any Rugby- There was none in our school and the nearest club was 25 miles away.

Would loved to have played myself, used to love going on Ginger McLoughlin style runs with lads hanging off ya and just busting for the line.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:48 am

My dad keeps trying to get me to start playing golf. According to him if I hit a gold ball it would stay hit. He said my only problem would be my putting, I told him my only problem would be that I'd have died or boredom after the first shot.

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:22 am

I find 25's (played singly or in partners with plenty of What else have you played? Icon_wink ) to be the most fascinating and indeed interesting game that I play now.....

There's nothing to bate the euphoria of stabbing the the eight of trumps under the high man, in correct playing order, as the boozer waits, mouths agog, for the next lead....Then you show the Five and Jack and call for a card count... What else have you played? Suspect
The pack, around here, come turkey time, never exceeds 45.. What else have you played? Suspect

But of course I'd know this....Black cats have black kittens and all that.. What else have you played? Icon_wink What else have you played? Icon_wink
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:53 pm

Great game Boxty. Used to keep the rural economy going when the lads could come in and have their few pints over a game of 25 and then drive home no bother. God be with the days
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:01 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:I find 25's (played singly or in partners with plenty of What else have you played? Icon_wink ) to be the most fascinating and indeed interesting game that I play now.....

There's nothing to bate the euphoria of stabbing the the eight of trumps under the high man, in correct playing order, as the boozer waits, mouths agog, for the next lead....Then you show the Five and Jack and call for a card count... What else have you played? Suspect
The pack, around here, come turkey time, never exceeds 45.. What else have you played? Suspect

But of course I'd know this....Black cats have black kittens and all that.. What else have you played? Icon_wink What else have you played? Icon_wink

Played 25 for years what a game ....
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:02 pm

[quote="mossbags"]
patrique wrote: dominoes (a serious and dangerous game in England) quote]

I can confirm this to be true. We used to let the local Caribbeans use one of the back rooms of the pub to play their dominoes when I worked in London. Paddy knew better than to go near them when a game was in progress.Between sipping their bottles of stout or pints of red stripe you could hear nowt but fists banging tables, Jamaicans and Trinidadian shouting and screaming their heads off and the odd fist letting loose and fook knows what else.
Sound lads to a man though

Was that the Swan in Stockwell What else have you played? Suspect
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:20 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:I find 25's (played singly or in partners with plenty of What else have you played? Icon_wink ) to be the most fascinating and indeed interesting game that I play now.....

Is 25's like 21's except it's 25's?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next