GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Horse racing

+14
bocerty
Thomas Clarke
bald eagle
Grenvile
Dougal
RMDrive
Jayo Cluxton
mullins
GAA-Fan
Bermuda_Bomber
clash-of-da-ash
JimWexford
Loyal2TheRoyal
mossbags
18 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Horse racing - Page 3 Empty Re: Horse racing

Post  Guest Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:13 am

RMDrive wrote:Ah FFS is it time for more cow racing? This is not a sport!! Where is the human ability? Where is the human drive to win? Ban horse-racing I say. Not just from this forum but from the world.

I'll have to agree with RMD here!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:17 am

Holy s***e, just came across this arguement now. Can someone please explain what the problem is with having a thread on different issues within horse racing. They all be put in to the non-gaa forum, so at the end of the day if people are here only for GAA discussion then either stay out of the non gaa forum or else delete the whole section. There is a hell of a lot more crap talked in there than just horse racing. Every single thread there is about horse racing is clearly a horse racing thread. How hard is it to read the title and decide you're not interested in it and move on. I have been doing it alot lately. Horse racing - Page 3 Icon_evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:26 am

Just had a quick look back through the non-gaa forum. (only about first 5 pages)

About 10 different music threads

About 10 different soccer threads

About 10 different threads on crime, drugs, cheap ciggys etc.

Vast majority of which i have no interest in, get them all in to one thread.

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:29 am

samin10 wrote:Just had a quick look back through the non-gaa forum. (only about first 5 pages)

They will be at some point this week.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:31 am

Just noticed this here now and it looks like the anti racing mob have ganged up on Loyal from what i've read!!!

I agree with Samin and Loyal on this one, if it's about Horse Racing, then it's non-GAA and it should be in the non-GAA thread, where it is!!! Perhaps we should rename the non-GAA thread the non-GAA and Horse Racing Thread!

You don't have to like the sport, a bit of banter about it is perfectly acceptable but the least that can be done is to show a bit of respect to those that do, as Samin said, if you don't like, DON'T READ!!!!

I'm going to the Cheltenham festival next week and was looking forward to the musings of Samin and Loyal, and possibily picking up a few ideas for bets also! Cheltenham is possibility the greatest racing festival of them all, and is the highlight of the Irish racing calender, the place has to be seen to be believed, i've been to a hell of a lot of meets and this is 10 times better than them all, perhaps if some of ye ever went to the races for a day you'd realise just what a great sport it is?

Will all soccerball related threads be merged into one? Music threads (including the Hospital Radio one?) I personally have no problem with the Horse Racing threads getting merged, as long as it the same for all non-GAA threads!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:32 am

samin10 wrote:Just had a quick look back through the non-gaa forum. (only about first 5 pages)

Beat me to it Samin!!!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:33 am

In fairness lads, there do appear to be double standards at work here. Just checked the first 4 pages of the Non-GAA forum, and found TEN different topics related to music. Surely the first thing on anyone's agenda should have been to tidy these up?

Now, I don't think that a separate thread is needed for both gambling and racing at Cheltenham, but a there should be a dedicated thread for the festival, given the huge level of interest that it generates in Ireland. We see thread for individual rugby matches, boxing and many, many threads about soccer. For instance, Rafa Benitez has a thread all of his own, so why not Kieran Fallon?

This is a great site, but it is having problems just now. Despite an influx of some great new posters, there were only 3 active threads on the Gaelic Football forum throughout the whole of yesterday (not including Liam's wind-up about Anthony Rainbow), yet we had threads about tooth-aches, haymaking and York Hospital Radio, not to mention 4 pages worth of squabbling about horse-racing. Diverse topics are great, but they do run the risk of totally changing the type of site that this is.

For what it is worth, I think that Loyal is an excellent poster, who has a wide knowledge of sport and makes a lot of effort when it comes to running quiz's etc. If he has left, then the site is the worse off for it. I hope he changes his mind and returns.

GAA Tipster has swelled in membership in early 2010, which is great, but growth brings new challenges, many of which are already here. This is a brilliant site, and I think that everyone's input is needed to ensure that it not only survives, but prospers as a great GAA site, that also has room for a wide-range of well-managed, non-GAA topics.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:51 am

I don't like horse-racing, but in fairness Clarke and BE do have a point. It should be kept within reason but perhaps cutting it to one is a bit harsh.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:51 am

Ok, fair enough create a cheltenham festival and we will find a solution to all this later on which is suitable for everyone. You have got to understand though, its easier to moderate if everything is under the one category.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:52 am

GAA-Fan wrote:

They will be at some point this week.

Whats the point? Its a non gaa section, i have little interest in music so i just dont go into any of the threads. Its really not that hard to look past something. Alot of people may criticise me for this but i would say i have clicked on the hurling section about 3 times since this site has been set up. I really dont see the problem here, if you or anyone else is not interested in something dont read it. I think a thread directly to the point on an issue is the way to go and helps to keep the discussion on one issue. If you create one thread on Soccer, one on horse racing etc then alot of posts will be missed and i guarentee there will be about 5 or 6 discussions (or arguements) going on within one thread. It will be a mess

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:54 am

GAA-Fan wrote:Ok, fair enough create a cheltenham festival and we will find a solution to all this later on which is suitable for everyone. You have got to understand though, its easier to moderate if everything is under the one category.

If its making life difficult to moderate then fair enough but dont just cut horse racing because you dont like it.

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:14 am

People are taking this way too seriously IMO. The tone of a lot of the posts (mine certainly) was in jest.

The real issue here is not about the presense of threads on horse racing, it is the tendancy of a certain poster to deliberately create numerous threads on the subject simply for the sake of it. It's great to see all this interest in hourse racing. It's still not a sport though. Horse racing - Page 3 Icon_razz
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:33 am

I've tried racing cows RMD and they just lack the attitude. Serious slackers altogether!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:37 am

bald eagle wrote:I've tried racing cows RMD and they just lack the attitude. Serious slackers altogether!

I'd suggest that your training methods are probably at fault BE. These are thoroughbred animals and need special care and attention. My pet cow can run a marathon in under 1 hour due to his balanced diet of angel dust and horsemeat.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:54 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:In fairness lads, there do appear to be double standards at work here. Just checked the first 4 pages of the Non-GAA forum, and found TEN different topics related to music. Surely the first thing on anyone's agenda should have been to tidy these up?

Now, I don't think that a separate thread is needed for both gambling and racing at Cheltenham, but a there should be a dedicated thread for the festival, given the huge level of interest that it generates in Ireland. We see thread for individual rugby matches, boxing and many, many threads about soccer. For instance, Rafa Benitez has a thread all of his own, so why not Kieran Fallon?

This is a great site, but it is having problems just now. Despite an influx of some great new posters, there were only 3 active threads on the Gaelic Football forum throughout the whole of yesterday (not including Liam's wind-up about Anthony Rainbow), yet we had threads about tooth-aches, haymaking and York Hospital Radio, not to mention 4 pages worth of squabbling about horse-racing. Diverse topics are great, but they do run the risk of totally changing the type of site that this is.

For what it is worth, I think that Loyal is an excellent poster, who has a wide knowledge of sport and makes a lot of effort when it comes to running quiz's etc. If he has left, then the site is the worse off for it. I hope he changes his mind and returns.

GAA Tipster has swelled in membership in early 2010, which is great, but growth brings new challenges, many of which are already here. This is a brilliant site, and I think that everyone's input is needed to ensure that it not only survives, but prospers as a great GAA site, that also has room for a wide-range of well-managed, non-GAA topics.

thank god for Tyrone men - the most sensible posters on here if you ask me!!!!!!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:59 am

My interest in horse racing is more passive in nature but I would certainly feel that the Cheltenham Festival in particular is a significant event in the calendar of Irish sports fans. Certainly where I work there is a buzz during Cheltenham week where people who never look at a horse one year to the next are buying papers for the racing supplement and during mid morning coffee break there are tables of keen form studiers. Lunchtimes are flexed to catch races. Several people even take the week off to sit in the pub and back horses. I get emails from friends who are not horse racing fans about hot-tips and daily doubles.

I would certainly feel that the Cheltenham Festival would be deserving of a thread in its own right. In fact I would go as far as to say that it might even deserve a “forum” space for a week with separate threads running on say each of the big races plus maybe “todays other tips”.

If there is no great interest for this well then it may well be overkill but I certainly would agree that putting a Cheltenham Thread onto a general discussion on horse racing is also overkill. As is correctly pointed out we don’t compress soccer debates into the one bucket.

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:05 am

bocerty wrote:
thank god for Tyrone men - the most sensible posters on here if you ask me!!!!!!!!!

That's what i like about this forum, a balanced, non biased opinion is a certainty! Suspect

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:10 am

Furthemore with regard to the poster in question as a recent joiner of this forum I certainly value and appreciate Loyals technical views on upcoming Horse races,GAA and other sports (cycling for e.g), I agree with TC that the forum would be weaker without his contribution. I would have thought that his rebumping of 12 month old debates with long departed posters is a much greater sin than him sharing his knowledge of Equine matters.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:20 am

This can be looked at and an accommodation arrived at. Personally I like horse racing and did very well out of Cheltenham last year! I think what we want to avoid is a thread on every race!

[As an aside some people can get very personal when they don't get their own way and there is at least one post on this thread that the poster should remove if he has any decency.]
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:44 am

Sorry Jayo, i was only joking when i said that comment about Boc. I'll get my coat. Embarassed Crying or Very sad

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:11 pm

Ruanua wrote:Furthemore with regard to the poster in question as a recent joiner of this forum I certainly value and appreciate Loyals technical views on upcoming Horse races,GAA and other sports (cycling for e.g), I agree with TC that the forum would be weaker without his contribution. I would have thought that his rebumping of 12 month old debates with long departed posters is a much greater sin than him sharing his knowledge of Equine matters.

it is worth noting though Rua that Loyal has yet to pick a winner - all his tips have proved to be a wild goose chase. Sad thing is its contagious and even Samin is at it now too Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:17 pm

bocerty wrote:
Ruanua wrote:Furthemore with regard to the poster in question as a recent joiner of this forum I certainly value and appreciate Loyals technical views on upcoming Horse races,GAA and other sports (cycling for e.g), I agree with TC that the forum would be weaker without his contribution. I would have thought that his rebumping of 12 month old debates with long departed posters is a much greater sin than him sharing his knowledge of Equine matters.

it is worth noting though Rua that Loyal has yet to pick a winner - all his tips have proved to be a wild goose chase. Sad thing is its contagious and even Samin is at it now too Horse racing - Page 3 Icon_biggrin Horse racing - Page 3 Icon_biggrin Horse racing - Page 3 Icon_biggrin

i have given plenty

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:14 pm

samin10 wrote:
GAA-Fan wrote:Ok, fair enough create a cheltenham festival and we will find a solution to all this later on which is suitable for everyone. You have got to understand though, its easier to moderate if everything is under the one category.

If its making life difficult to moderate then fair enough but dont just cut horse racing because you dont like it.

Fair point Samin10. We were going to do it for all sports but it would create a bigger mess. How about just having the non gaa section for thing like music etc and a new forum for other sports? Or, we can have a new moderator that actually has an interest in Horse racing and they can look after it?
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:50 pm

A victory here for Sport, common sense, not to mention common decency. A big well done to Sami, Loyal, TC,my good self and the Eagle, a comparative Who's Who of the top movers and shakers on GT, for bringing this modicum of reason and 'Kop on' to the forum.

Getting rid of the racing threads a week before Cheltenham would have been akin to removing the hurling section on the first day of September(but seen as the MODs know nothing about hurling either I guess we should not be getting ahead of ourselves just yet!)
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:21 pm

Now, I don't know alot about Horse Racing-I just like to watch the colours run! Anyway, I remember seeing a lad on the TV about 2 years ago(approx.) and he was 18 at the time. He had just won a race at the Galway Races and I remember the interviewer being shocked at how tall he was-over 6ft. Does anyone know his name? I think it was a Chris? He was an astounding talent at that time.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next