GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Come on Andy Murray

+8
Boxtyeater
bocerty
SamiPremier08
bald eagle
KerryKatriona
clash-of-da-ash
black&white
Jayo Cluxton
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Come on Andy Murray - Page 2 Empty Re: Come on Andy Murray

Post  clash-of-da-ash Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:36 pm

Murray must not be too bad to have reached two grandslam finals. Don't think he'll win a wimbledon though he prefers a hard court so the US open or Australian Open are his best chances of winning a grandslam, I hope it happens.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:06 am

Very harsh on Murray. Yes he threw away 4/5 chances to go 2-1 in sets (I was swearing at him from home!) but Federer is quite likely the greatest player to pick up a racket and he was awesome in the early part of the game - as he said himself - probably his best performance ......... Murray is no media/fan darling but he is breaking his ass to get there - at least recognise that....... from your armchair.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:00 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Very harsh on Murray. Yes he threw away 4/5 chances to go 2-1 in sets (I was swearing at him from home!) but Federer is quite likely the greatest player to pick up a racket and he was awesome in the early part of the game - as he said himself - probably his best performance ......... Murray is no media/fan darling but he is breaking his ass to get there - at least recognise that....... from your armchair.

here here JC plenty of top sportsman had no personality Davis and Hendry in snooker to name but 2........
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:43 am

To be fair to Murray he did show a better side of himself at the presentation after the game.

Goes to show too that Tennis is a game of very narrow margins. Even with federer playing super Tennis, Murray missed an easy Volley and drove one into the net when not under pressure in the rally both on set point.

Bocerty fair point re The personality but I think the public/media forgive that as genius but only when the person is the best in town which Davis and Hendry where at their respective peaks.

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:48 pm

Federer is turning into Sampras, in that people are starting to dislike him for winning.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:03 pm

clash-of-da-ash wrote:Federer is turning into Sampras, in that people are starting to dislike him for winning.

I think its just the Brit media Clash - sore cos he is preventing their first Grand Slam in 74 years!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:57 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
clash-of-da-ash wrote:Federer is turning into Sampras, in that people are starting to dislike him for winning.

I think its just the Brit media Clash - sore cos he is preventing their first Grand Slam in 74 years!

that's probably true to be honest. although not many people I know have a problem with Federer simply because he is such a good player, a lot of people over here were actually supporting him over here because they dislike Murray.

to really succeed Murray needs to stop throwing away simple points by hitting the net or mishitting the ball, and, although a lot harder to do, he needs to stop looking/being/acting like a miserable git.
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:40 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote: and, although a lot harder to do, he needs to stop looking/being/acting like a miserable git.

But he's a Scot ............
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:04 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
SamiPremier08 wrote: and, although a lot harder to do, he needs to stop looking/being/acting like a miserable git.

But he's a Scot ............

exactly
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:08 pm

Very true Clash...shure didn't we tire of that horse here this year, what's his name again???
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:17 pm

In less than an hour, Scotland's favourite son tries to win the US Open and, in doing so, avoid becoming the first man ever to lose his first 5 grand slam finals.

There is little doubt that Murray's talent and consistency would have been rewarded with a major title in most other eras, but perhaps he has been unfortunate in playing in the time of giants like Federer, Nadal and Novak Djokevic, his opponent today.

Although he is dour, sometimes ill-tempered and lacks much charisma, I don't mind Andy, and I hope he final wins a big one tonight.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:17 pm

Maybe his best chance yet.
Nadal injured
Federer met his bogey player
Novak not as invincible as 18 months ago

Fergie is over to support him. Which makes it harder to support him
Tiebreaker coming up
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:40 pm

First set to Murray, 12-10 in the tiebreak.

The winner of the first set has won the last 13 meetings between them. Unfortunately, at 90 minutes for the first set, I fear I'll be in bed before this one plays out. Sad
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:05 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:In less than an hour, Scotland's favourite son tries to win the US Open .

Historical shocker....253 years old Robbie Burns in tennis record attempt........
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:10 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:In less than an hour, Scotland's favourite son tries to win the US Open .

Historical shocker....253 years old Robbie Burns in tennis record attempt........

Should auld acquaintance be forgot... Embarassed
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:46 pm

2-0 Murray. His to lose now.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:58 am

Complaining about his legs being gone in the 4th set. Getting his excuses in early.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:59 am

I headed to bed after the third set. At that stage it was anybody's match, so fair play to Murray for digging deep when it mattered most. A brilliant achievment in what is, in my opinion, one of the best and most demanding sports that you will find.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:21 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:2-0 Murray. His to lose now.

He did his best....

Fair play to the Scot though - great character to go on and win after being pegged back to 2-2. Will do wonders for his self-belief and with Federer not getting any younger, Nadal injury riddled and no fear of ND he could win a few more Slams.

If the Scots have independence before Rio I wonder who he'll play for .... Laughing
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:16 pm

I like Andy Murray and all that (he turned down Rangers after all), but the last thing i would like to do is what the title of this thread suggests!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:36 pm

bald eagle wrote:I like Andy Murray and all that (he turned down Rangers after all), but the last thing i would like to do is what the title of this thread suggests!

fair play to him and great to see him winning one after 4 failed attempts. He has been knocking on the door for a while now and must have been wondering if his pursuit of 1 Grand Slam was destined to end like his coaches pursuit of the Wimbledon title.

He'll be worth a few bob more now
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2