GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Funding under threat

+3
Jayo Cluxton
RMDrive
GAA-Fan
7 posters

Go down

Funding under threat Empty Funding under threat

Post  GAA-Fan Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:20 pm

if clubs, grounds or competitions are named after any paramilitary figures the NI sports minister is threatening to cut their funding.

What does everyone make of this?
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Funding under threat Empty Re: Funding under threat

Post  RMDrive Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:33 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:if clubs, grounds or competitions are named after any paramilitary figures the NI sports minister is threatening to cut their funding.

What does everyone make of this?

It's a shame that a fool like that can be put in a position of power. He is anti-GAA and his comments are merely meant to provoke and antagonise GAA folks in Ulster. Fcuk him.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:08 pm

I hear Windsor Park, Ballybofey is in line for a €10 million payout ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:19 pm

Personally i think this is scandalous, we have clubs who we name after our martyrs weather the where in the irb, ira the inla they served our communities in a way which which our communities saw fit to name clubs after them. McCausland is a fool if he thinks the GAA folk will run with this.

This is nothing new and the more southerners hear things like this they better, things are not getting more irish up here they are merely trying to do what they failed to do with the 32 counties, thats normalise us and make us proud brits, unfortunately some think for a better life its better to lie down and accept this. Personally, I wont. Im proud to be Irish, proud to be republican proud of my republican heroes who walked before me, someone like Nelson McCausland a british sectarian biggot will never change me and many others like me.

The GAA in many areas is what makes the Irish passion burn in our hearts and the fact that they are threatening to withdraw funding is nothing new given that they where giving grants for soccer rugby clubs etc in the north when the gaa clubs couldnt even apply due to fear of where their personal details may end up plus the fact that the application would be thrown out.

Was talking to a member of St Endas GAC recently during a conversation he was able to tell me that newtownabbey borough council had been given funding to pay coaches in schools for the start of the school year, however they havent even held an interview yet and dont seem to be the easiest to get the hold of regarding the issue. This is rediculous in this day and age but please people in the 26 take notice of our treatment, its not all rosey in the garden as the news and certain nationalist parties try to make it out to be - far from it actually for those of us who regard ourselves Irish.

Sorry about the rant and im sure ive insulted a few people but hey if ya cant tell your true feelings and opinions what can you say.

Back lash please?
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim
Number of posts : 1199

Back to top Go down

Funding under threat Empty Nelson Mc Causland

Post  Guest Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:44 pm

This 'man' is one in a long line of complete bigots in the Minister of Leisure, Sports and Culture. His predecessors namely Gregory Campbell and Edwin Poots were not even in the same league as this idiot. His newest form of prejudice is that all funding of GAA teams that are named after Republicans will be stopped. This is just another string to the DUP's bow in their crusade to stamp out the GAA. Its nothing short of glorified bigotry.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:45 pm

Sorry didn't realise there was already a thread on this.

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:13 pm

Ya should be sorry bright oak LOL OJ

This guy is an idiot in a party of idiots, the problem is this is the biggest part in the coalition that runs the 6 counties - quite scary!!
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:56 pm

What is even scarier is that they are not even the most backward party in the north, the TUV (Traditional Unionist Voice) are even more fundamental in their beliefs- they formed when the DUP went into power-sharing. Its a bloody disgrace.

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:08 pm

Bright Oak

Im not fussed on talking politics on here, ive said before i am a dissident political activist. For reasons such as this one is why i stayed as a member of SF and watched in disbelief as they accepted the DUP doing what the want. Im in favour of peace however i also believe in a united Ireland, we will never achieve that in stormont - unfortunately, as at one stage i genuinely believed we would - this is emphasised by N.McCausland.

Im not a fundamentalist, im an irish republican, this is not a pop at SF this is simply what i and many others believe. What the DUP are doing to the gaa is only the tipp of the Ice Berg i believe that so far SF have done one good thing is slow down unionist total domination, in doing so there covering up the bigotry of the DUP and British Government.

Policing and Justice devolution wont sort out this problem, we didnt get the maze and acht na gaelige, whats that is what some young people have asked me recently, it brings me to laughter but when i sit down and think about it, it near brings tears to my eyes, have we the generation who put SF into stormont Ulsterised the youth of the nationalist areas in the 6 counties.

Sorry just went of on one!! Your from Derry bright oak the reccession is hitting yous hard but hey whats new? when did the GFA ever really help anyone west of the bann?
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:12 pm

For a man who earlier claimed not to know anything about the GAA when he took up his post he wasnt long getting up to speed with the names of the clubs. No doubt its only a smokescreen for some other crap going on within the DUP.

We should start and sign a petition and send it to the DUP expressing our disgust at his outburst. The GAA have as much right to funding as any other sport irrespective of names of clubs.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:16 pm

Well NSG my club have been major beneficiaries of the Invest NI scheme, we have just had a state of the art complex built with help from the Sports Council. However we didn't just sit on our arses and do nothing we raised the guts of a million pounds from fundraising ourselves. Nelson Mc Causland was invited to the grand opening and declined despite the fact our ground is not named after after any person, its actually 'Erins Own'. It is just a crusade by these people to stamp out Gaelic Games, they are green with envy at how popular it is among nationalists. Of all the hundreds of things Mc Causland could concentrate on he choses this thing, and it will materialise to nothing, it is evident that the DUP have an agenda to stamp out the GAA and they use any excuse going to help their case.

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:28 pm

Aye bright oak your Lavey is that right?

I coach a junior camogie team, i was hoping to contact someone in Lavey to see if the could get a training session even alongside your camogs in the indoor. Still need to be reappointed for next year, and make up my own mind as to weather or not i want to stay on myself.
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:31 pm

Just ring the club and ask at reception someone will help you, I don't know the number off hand! It should be on the internet.

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:39 pm

Niamh - I would hazard a guess that this is an attempt by that **** to cover up something else within the DUP - they are under severe pressure from those other extreme unionists and this is their attempt to distance themselves from all things Catholic. I would like to see him try and cut the funding!!!

It is also worth noting that within Tyrone (and possibly other Northern Counties) there is an increasing interest in GAA from members of the Unionist community. Certainly in 2005 and 2008 i seen quite a number of Protestants at Tyrone games including games in Croke Park. And i can honestly say they celebrated every bit as much as the Catholics when Tyrone won.

I know of one particular guy from Tyrone who was a well known for his Protestant beliefs and was quite wealthy to go along with it, he asked a neighbour if he would get him tickets for the final last year for his 2 sons who had already attended a few games earlier in the year. Turns out the neighbour got him enough tickets for the sons and for the man himself who went along. Apparently he still talks about the great day he had and said he had been to soccer matches all over the world and other sporting events but none would match the atmosphere of the final that year.

I also know of several clubs in Tyrone who have jerseys sponsored by Protestant businessmen.

Its all sad really that when so much progress had been made, especially with Poots who even attended at least one Gaelic match in Parc Eisler in Newry, that a bollox like this comes along and tries his best to alienate both sides again. He's only a puppet on a string and Robinson and the boys knew what they were at putting that cnut in that position.

It is interesting though at a time when most soccer federations are doing their best o stamp racism etc out of sport an arsehole like this is trying to start a 'war' again.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:04 pm

Good post Boc, but i mean we all know that theyre using this probably to show some sort of hard line with elections coming up next year they cant have the TUV stealing any more voters.

As for the progress Boc not enough was made at the negotiating table prior to the agreement being signed then other concessions by nationalists left us in the position we are in the, the unionists using their veto on us - again.

Im not criticising yourself or the work of SF as the put a hell of a lot of time into that, i have helped in most of their campaigns up until 2 years ago however i believe that the british direct rule wouldnt even enforce such sanctions as the ones mc causland is trying to enforce now, it remains to be seen how far he will go with the this but you can be sure of one thing the GAA will suffer through holding out on funding until they investigate and with other extrememists taking his words to heart and attacking GAA clubs and members.

The unionists persistently along with certain nationalist parties compare us to the orange order, but the bottom line is we have no comparison yet we both get funded by the same government. The GAA is an all inclusive organisation yet the orange order discriminates against political and relgious pursuasion - this is hardly fair and should be SFs response, but we'll wait and see.
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:11 pm

Re: Funding under threat

Post bocerty Today at 6:39 pm
Niamh - I would hazard a guess that this is an attempt by that **** to cover up something else within the DUP - they are under severe pressure from those other extreme unionists and this is their attempt to distance themselves from all things Catholic. I would like to see him try and cut the funding!!!

Bocerty is right in my opinion.

Nelson was made sports minister the wek it was announced that Casement Park was to receive £100 million facelift. The same week the DUP council in Antrim Town approved the centre of excellence for the town.

However to fool hard line supporters they have to issue these daft statements from time to time.

The ordinary person can see that the DUP and Sinn Fein have been sharing power in Government and on councils for YEARS. However some DUP supporters have not noticed this. Tha is hard to believe but it is true.

The greatest ever political feat was when the DUP managed to wipe out the Unionist party by accusing The Unionists of being in a Government in Stormont with "terrorists". No-one noticed that the DUP had FIVE ministers at the time. Wonderful.

So Nelson has no intention of cutting funding, he is trying to fool DUP supporters, not GAA fans.

Mind you, I often wonder what the reaction would be in certain quarters if "Billy Wright Rovers" were playing in the Irish League.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:40 pm

Fair play to ya North Side Gael, I agree with everything you said!

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:41 pm

bocerty wrote:Niamh - I would hazard a guess that this is an attempt by that **** to cover up something else within the DUP

Weren't MLA expenses announced?
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:07 pm

Not to mention the £20,000 back pay for the equal pay claim they owe me.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bumpernut Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:44 pm

I's like a bad smell patrique!!!

Im expecting more than 20k, tho hearing on the grapevine 11k roughly to be offered, any other sceal??
bumpernut
bumpernut
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

antrim
Number of posts : 79

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:40 pm

bumpernut wrote:I's like a bad smell patrique!!!

Im expecting more than 20k, tho hearing on the grapevine 11k roughly to be offered, any other sceal??

It is indeed more, best case scenario, than 11,000. We rejected that shhhhhhhissshhh.

I will know more after Monday's meeting at 2pm with sammy, I get the info at 3.30pm.

But everything is a secret.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bumpernut Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:57 pm

Gud man P, u keep me up to date!!

Never mind bumper on hs, hes an eejit!!! lol

Every man has his price after all!!! lol
bumpernut
bumpernut
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:50 pm

Bumpernut, we are meeting Sammy (Wilson) at 2pm on Monday, and by 3.30pm I will know what is happening.

Strange to relate about 1975 Sammy was being attacked by a sectarian mob in the Student's Union and myself, as the doorman, and a bloke from ARDOYNE, later Chair of the club, saved him.

So he owes me.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bumpernut Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:17 pm

Patrique,

I hope u reminded sammy of his lucky escape!!

although he was always a slippery character with or without his clothes!!
bumpernut
bumpernut
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: