GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions Squad

+2
bocerty
mid-mon man
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Lions Squad - Page 2 Empty Re: Lions Squad

Post  Guest Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:39 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:The Lions tour is just a few friendlies if you like. It means nothing. The amount of attention it gets is not right and not fair.

Yesterday, David McCann moved up to fifth after stage 3 of the Tour of Malaysia.

Last week, eleven Irish swimmers qualified for the world swimming championships in the summer.

Week before that, Martin Fagan from Mullingar came second in the Great Ireland Run in the Phoenix Park beating a former Olympic champion in the process. Mary Cullen also came second in the female equivalent.

Surely, these achievements mean more to Irish sport than any rugby friendly ever will. Yet how many of ye knew about any of those events? Proabaly none. By talking about this joke of a tour and ignoring all the good things our real superstars are doing is quite shameful. I find it quite embarrasing as an Irishman that the rugby gets so much more precedent over everything else. Not only that but the whole rugby thing means absolutely nothing - it is just a few meaningless challenge matches.

Loyal, first of all, just because you think that the lions tour is effectively a load of crap, doesnt mean that other people should think of it the same as you. Why are you complainning about people who like the lions tour? Arent they entitled to enjoy and watch a sporting event? Maybe they have different tastes to you? is that so hard to believe?

Yeah, they can enjoy it if they want but when the media makes so much out of nothing, it makes me want to speak up. Its up to people what they think but to be fair, I know a lot about all sports in all countries and the Lions Tour is not something that means anything me. It is just a Mickey Mouse friendly.

Back to top Go down

Lions Squad - Page 2 Empty How over-rated is Paul O'Connell?

Post  Guest Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:12 pm

He may inspire in Six Nations and Heineken Cup games but on the world stage, he has been a complete failure. The Kiwis know this, The Springboks know this, I know this, yet how come the whole of the Irish Rugby support don't?

Irish Tour of South Africa 2004
Lions Tour 2005
Rugby World Cup 2007

All examples of where this supposedly great Irish sportsman crumbled. One wonders does he even deserve to be the Lions captain ahead of someone like Brian O'Driscoll. My guess is that Botha and Matfield may finally show O'Connell up for what he really is - nothing more than just average.

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:23 pm

You are saying the BOD should be made captain?
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:27 pm

Administrator wrote:You are saying the BOD should be made captain?

If its a straight choice between him and O'Connell, then yes.

In any case, I don't think the captain will make much difference - the Lions haven't a hope in RSA.

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:42 pm

Loyal for a guy who appears to have little time for the sport of rugby you now seem to be the resident expert.

Funny how a few days ago you were annoyed that a few of us were following rugby as opposed to supporting irish swimmers and athletes etc. At least none of us came on here shouting our mouths of that these swimmers etc are rubbish.

How many of these swimmers/athletes are going to do anything on a world stage like win an Olympic medal - probably very few of them but we don't go giving off about them. And yet you have a cheap shot at O' Connell like that.

I find it very disappointing that you would come on here and belittle an irish sports person like that.

Shame on you Loyal
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:46 pm

Believe it or not POC is more successful than BOD.

The difference between the two is that BOD can have moments of inspiration whereas POC prefers to be a work horse and create chances for the team.

POC was selected because he can lead however he hasnt really had the chance to do that at international level.

Personally I think BOD is a fantastic captain as he has proven this year in the six nations but now POC has the chance to prove himself as a leader in the international arena.

POC is a big b****d even Mcgeechan said on the toss up before the game he wanted the SA captain to look up at the Lions captain. POC isnt really a great tactician but everyone will look to him for inspiration.

He is currently the Heinneken cup winning Captain and GS vice captain he will get the respect in the dressing room....no doubt about it.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:55 pm

O'Connell is one of the best players in the world at winning the ball in the line-out and he was a excellent pack leader during Irelands first grand slam for 61 years.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:58 pm

Who are ye trying to convince? Me or yourselves?

If you think O'Connell is in the top 5 locks in the world, ye are deluded.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:58 pm

Poor Wuming Loyal Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:00 pm

I only speak FACT Liamo.

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:05 pm

Nobody springs to mind who is better than O'Connell.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:09 pm

clash-of-da-ash wrote:Nobody springs to mind who is better than O'Connell.

Typical Irish biased attitude. The man is good at best, average most of the time.

The gulf between Rugby in the Northerm Hemisphere and the Southern Hemisphere is massive. A lot of ye seem to be struggling to grasp this fact.

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:12 pm

Loyal, who would you pick? Dont say BOD either.

POC is in Brian's shadow, just like McGrane was in McGeeneys shadow. The work ethic just isnt realised.

The man isnt good at best, he is lethal. England found this out in 2007.

Last edited by Administrator on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:15 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
clash-of-da-ash wrote:Nobody springs to mind who is better than O'Connell.

Typical Irish biased attitude. The man is good at best, average most of the time.

The gulf between Rugby in the Northerm Hemisphere and the Southern Hemisphere is massive. A lot of ye seem to be struggling to grasp this fact.

Although South AFrica won the last world cup by beating a poor England team it must be said the other Southern Hemisphere teams underperformed and were made look ordinary. New Zealand lost to France and Australia lost to England. Ireland and Wales are a lot better now than they were back then. I would expect the Lions to beat South Africa as they are not the same team as they were 2 years ago.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:39 pm

loyal your argument that O' Connell is good and more often than not average does not carry much weight when you compare with an earlier thread you started.

The swimmers and athletes you were on about in the Lions thread could be classed the same and in fact they wil probably achieve less on a world stage than O' Connell will. The gulf between these guys and other swimmers/athletes is probably even bigger and yet you appear to have no problem singing their praises.

Your contradicting yourself my friend. i think this thread like many others you start could be filed in the Wind Up section.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:53 pm

Paul O'driscoll - merged with the Lions tour topic.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:58 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote: The man is good at best, average most of the time.

Now either you're just rising people, or you haven't a clue about rugby. Both it seems to me. Fair play to you for getting people going which I assume you're aiming for. Paul O Connell and average don't even belong in the same sentence. You're posts are so ridiculous that now I see how funny they are...! You have 0 credibility on this subject with me from now on...! Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:01 pm

Redemption wrote:
Loyal2TheRoyal wrote: The man is good at best, average most of the time.

Now either you're just rising people, or you haven't a clue about rugby. Both it seems to me. Fair play to you for getting people going which I assume you're aiming for. Paul O Connell and average don't even belong in the same sentence. You're posts are so ridiculous that now I see how funny they are...! You have 0 credibility on this subject with me from now on...! Razz

I agree, 0 credibility from me too-It's turned into a bit of a joke from Loyal to be honest. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:07 pm

Keep saying it, one day you might convince yourselves. Every time O'Connell has tried to compete on the world stage, he has blown up spectacularly. You ask any South African or Australian what they think of O'Connell and I can gaurantee they don't rate him. They very fact that he has been named as the Lions captain already has the South Africans thinking this is a done deal.

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:09 pm

Southern hemisphere teams generally dont rate northern hemisphere teams. I remember read a few years back that a few players on the New zealand team dosent even rate BOD.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:11 pm

bocerty wrote:loyal your argument that O' Connell is good and more often than not average does not carry much weight when you compare with an earlier thread you started.

The swimmers and athletes you were on about in the Lions thread could be classed the same and in fact they wil probably achieve less on a world stage than O' Connell will. The gulf between these guys and other swimmers/athletes is probably even bigger and yet you appear to have no problem singing their praises.

Your contradicting yourself my friend. i think this thread like many others you start could be filed in the Wind Up section.

My argument here is that Paul O'Connell is over-rated......a theory that I have since deduced and proved to be factual. My argument earlier was that most of the Irish sportstars deserve more credit for their efforts when compared to something like the hype surrounding all the players on the Lions squad. Again true. In any case, I think Paul Hession, Derval O'Rourke and a lot of others are far more capable of competing on a world stage than O'Connell ever will. To be the best, he has to beat players from Australia, Argentina, New Zealand, UK, France and RSA, look at the competition the athletes and swimmers face. But back to the topic in question, do you think O'Connell is over-rated and if no, can you explain, Irish Tour 2004, Lions Tour 2005 and RWC 2007?

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:16 pm

Over rated...

I think he has actually won everything with Munster.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:20 pm

Ya, I hate when people describe players as over-rated. It's disrespecting all that they've achieved and is maybe showing jealousy on the part of the person who is complaining about a usually an excellent player.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2