GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Year Resolutions

+9
GAA-Fan
Grenvile
Loyal2TheRoyal
RMDrive
OMAR
Boxtyeater
Royal_Girl2k9
Parouisa
North Side Gael
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Year Resolutions Empty New Year Resolutions

Post  North Side Gael Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:43 am

Well does anyone have any?

Im back on fitness trail, quitting the booze for a couple month and hopefully a new job!

Love the new year great time i find for motivation, thinking of signing up for belfast marathon in may also. Looking a the dublin top i was bought as a gift for christmas looking like a boob tube ive a bit of work to do lol!
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim
Number of posts : 1199

Back to top Go down

New Year Resolutions Empty Re: New Year Resolutions

Post  Parouisa Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:25 am

Smoking's gotta go!
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Royal_Girl2k9 Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:34 am

Need to get properly fit again. I was back running this morning and nearly keeled over, which is never a good sign.
Royal_Girl2k9
Royal_Girl2k9
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Meath
Number of posts : 1144

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:39 am

Parouisa wrote:Smoking's gotta go!

Hmmmm...I'd probably agree.
Quitting the smokes would probably be one of the greatest achievements of my life, up there with captaining the wren, winning the hurling tipster, attending a wedding to which I wasn't invited pale and remaining tax compliant(ish)......

For consideration after I banish 2 cartons of lukewarm B&H Gold.. Wink
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Royal_Girl2k9 Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:51 am

Also, less drinking in fields, more drinking in pubs.
Royal_Girl2k9
Royal_Girl2k9
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Meath
Number of posts : 1144

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:10 am

No drink on a Monday or Tuesday night ( bank holidays excluded)
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:13 pm

OMAR wrote:No drink on a Monday or Tuesday night ( bank holidays excluded)

Shameful aspiration from the normally reliable (in terms of drinking habits) OMAR here....FFS.
What about one of the last bastions of rural Ireland, the Monday club, where all manner of issues are resolved..

Please amend to Tuesday and Wednesday (exemptions for wakes, removals and funerals) and I'll award a pass....New Year Resolutions Food-s50
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:01 am

I think its called having ther opinions puke, just as yo referred to the entire down hurling team as scum, which was nothing short of disgusting posting.
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim

Back to top Go down

New Year Resolutions Empty Early Predictions for 2012....

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:03 am

Boxty foresees New Year Resolutions Images17 reaching for New Year Resolutions Images18 in the not too distant future..

The Puke's nerves are shot with animal issues. A rip of Fat Frogs in Quilty and the cocker gone over her time to pup the litter that's earmarked for Warsaw.....

Fógra: Any "cleaning of house" hereabouts will be addressed by myself and the selected sub-committee..
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:29 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Boxty foresees New Year Resolutions Images17 reaching for New Year Resolutions Images18 in the not too distant future..

The Puke's nerves are shot with animal issues. A rip of Fat Frogs in Quilty and the cocker gone over her time to pup the litter that's earmarked for Warsaw.....

Fógra: Any "cleaning of house" hereabouts will be addressed by myself and the selected sub-committee..

Your age making you have a loss of memory? duplication? surely posting in two threads with the same name endorses this of which you speak?
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:45 pm

Being the benign citizen that I am, I'll pass NSG's reprimand......

In the course of the day, I've learned that the bulk of our internal organs are copper related. Liquids such as beer and porter have a very debilitating effect on such organs, whereas whiskey merely polishes and contributes durability to these vital components....

Whiskey is the future....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:37 am

Boxtyeater wrote:Being the benign citizen that I am, I'll pass NSG's reprimand......

In the course of the day, I've learned that the bulk of our internal organs are copper related. Liquids such as beer and porter have a very debilitating effect on such organs, whereas whiskey merely polishes and contributes durability to these vital components....

Whiskey is the future....

Now and again the truth echos around these parts. Oh to achieve that brilliant finish.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:38 pm

50% of all Irish smokers will die as a result of their smoking. Statsitic courtesy of new study by HSE. Please note all smokers.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:57 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:50% of all Irish smokers will die as a result of their smoking. Statsitic courtesy of new study by HSE. Please note all smokers.

The other 50% will die of something else
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:12 am

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:50% of all Irish smokers will die as a result of their smoking. Statsitic courtesy of new study by HSE. Please note all smokers.

I blame this Cnut

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:42 pm

Visit friends in London/Paris.

Get a traineeship.

Stop reading tabloids.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:11 am

Revise

Do a bit of travelling

Complete Uni with a 2:1 or higher.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  scoopmine Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:17 am

Get into decent shape.
Get a 2 1 degree or the best I can.
Run for SU president so I have a full time job and something else for the CV.
Keep up the blogging.
scoopmine
scoopmine
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan
Number of posts : 264

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:24 am

Jonsmith wrote:Stop reading tabloids.

But keep reading the Indo????

Looking at news bulletins today it struck me that you used to get a wee respite over the holiday season. Not any more. Wall to wall negativity.

Irish people are not stupid. We all know things are grim enough and that there is pain all around and more ahead. Do we need to be constantly reminded ever day on TV and papers? There is just a constant search for negativity - even in 'good news' stories. All very wearing.

Not that we should bury our heads in the sand but there is a lot of good stuff happening out there but you will never see/hear about it. A bit of postitivity wouldn't go amiss - especially from people who are earning more than enough to not be too worried about things .....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:24 am

Jonsmith wrote:Stop reading tabloids.

But keep reading the Indo????

Looking at news bulletins today it struck me that you used to get a wee respite over the holiday season. Not any more. Wall to wall negativity.

Irish people are not stupid. We all know things are grim enough and that there is pain all around and more ahead. Do we need to be constantly reminded ever day on TV and papers? There is just a constant search for negativity - even in 'good news' stories. All very wearing.

Not that we should bury our heads in the sand but there is a lot of good stuff happening out there but you will never see/hear about it. A bit of postitivity wouldn't go amiss - especially from people who are earning more than enough to not be too worried about things .....
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:43 am

scoopmine wrote:Get into decent shape.
Get a 2 1 degree or the best I can.
Run for SU president so I have a full time job and something else for the CV.Keep up the blogging.

Would this be genuinely be considered a positive for the CV ?
Presume if your ambitions lie in politics, trade unionism or to hold a position in a "non corporate organisition" well then yes I can see the benefit.

But to be honest as someone who has always worked in non unionised private sector - I can only give you one perspective - but the majoriity of senior mangement that I have dealt with - would look at that CV and their initial reaction would beardie/Leftie/Shinner/Militant or even worse someone who might have an opinion.
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:13 pm

The problem Scoop may have, which is the norm in the extreme majority of new graduates, is that he may not have much else to put down on his CV. Students don't realise it at the time, but they have done damned little that is going to impress any employer when interviewing for their first proper job. Seriously, very, very few have done anything that will impress anyone who has worked for more than a few years. Given that, graduates are then left to scrape around for anything achievement that suggests they are someone who has more drive and initiative than their peers, hence the need to put down Student Union President on a CV.

Having said that, Scoop, I wouldn't be as harsh as Omar is on the SU Presidency, as it will give you something to talk about for 5 minutes in an interview. 5 minutes max, that is (i.e. you can use it as an example to answer one question). Of course, after 2 years in the workplace, you shouldn't be referring to this at all, as it will carry the weight of a milk monitor post at primary school. After 2 years, you should have enough successes in your job to convince someone to give you a crack at a better role, and your hobbies/social activities should be reserved for water bubble chats.

I would, however, be more concerned when you say '2.1 degree or best i can do'. In reality, a 2.1 is the minimum that any graduate should be coming out with - less than that, and you can all but forget about your first job being anything worthwhile.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:43 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:The problem Scoop may have, which is the norm in the extreme majority of new graduates, is that he may not have much else to put down on his CV. Students don't realise it at the time, but they have done damned little that is going to impress any employer when interviewing for their first proper job. Seriously, very, very few have done anything that will impress anyone who has worked for more than a few years. Given that, graduates are then left to scrape around for anything achievement that suggests they are someone who has more drive and initiative than their peers, hence the need to put down Student Union President on a CV.

Having said that, Scoop, I wouldn't be as harsh as Omar is on the SU Presidency, as it will give you something to talk about for 5 minutes in an interview. 5 minutes max, that is (i.e. you can use it as an example to answer one question). Of course, after 2 years in the workplace, you shouldn't be referring to this at all, as it will carry the weight of a milk monitor post at primary school. After 2 years, you should have enough successes in your job to convince someone to give you a crack at a better role, and your hobbies/social activities should be reserved for water bubble chats.

I would, however, be more concerned when you say '2.1 degree or best i can do'. In reality, a 2.1 is the minimum that any graduate should be coming out with - less than that, and you can all but forget about your first job being anything worthwhile.

Any fella who is having to put in serious effort to get a 2.1 may as well call the whole thing off
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:31 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:The problem Scoop may have, which is the norm in the extreme majority of new graduates, is that he may not have much else to put down on his CV. Students don't realise it at the time, but they have done damned little that is going to impress any employer when interviewing for their first proper job. Seriously, very, very few have done anything that will impress anyone who has worked for more than a few years. Given that, graduates are then left to scrape around for anything achievement that suggests they are someone who has more drive and initiative than their peers, hence the need to put down Student Union President on a CV.

Would you really consider an SU presidency this unimportant? It is after all a paid full time position taken up after completion of your undergrad. I can't see most graduate jobs giving enough success in the space of 2 years to overshadow SU presidency to the extent that it wouldn't warrant a mention once the person reaches 23(ish) Perhaps I'm being naive though..

If I was ever in a senior management position my issue with SU people would be that when I was in college they were a crowd of self important little sh1ts more interested in walking around in groups with folders looking important than actually doing much for the college. The current president of the University I attended was in my class, universally disliked and with good reason.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:56 pm

Two Words

Joe Duffy
OMAR
OMAR