GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go Blue or Stay Away!!

2 posters

Go down

Go Blue or Stay Away!! Empty Go Blue or Stay Away!!

Post  Parouisa Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:14 pm

Dublin GAA Chief Executive John Costello has floated the idea of forcing players who transfer to clubs in the capital to declare for Dublin in a bid to halt the influx of high-profile arrivals.

In his annual report to Dublin convention, Costello notes that the acceleration in incoming transfers had caused unease in Dublin and suggested the introduction of legislation in a bid to limit the volume to cases he termed "totally natural."

Costello revealed that a number of clubs have confidentially voiced their concerns.

"While some of these transfers," he writes, "are totally natural whereby, for example, a player moves to an area to take up a post as a teacher and then makes the decision to join his local club, there are other transfers which look to be testing both the eligibility laws and the ethos of our games.

"Maybe it's time that Dublin introduced their own bye-law that obligated any player who plays club football or hurling in the capital to declare for Dublin. It would be very interesting to see what the implications of such a law would be on 'transfer traffic'."

Mr Costello has instigated an interesting debate here. I think he may 'be flying a kite' in terms of the actual suggestion and is more likely just provoking a serious debate on what has always been a controversial issue for Dublin GAA.

Dublin GAA clubs have always welcomed players from around the country who came to live and work in Dublin. It is going on for years and has been beneficial to both parties. However in recent years there appears to be a concerted effort by some Dublin clubs to 'recruit' players from outside the capital. It is also no secret that these clubs have large and open chequebooks - which brings a whole host of other questions.

I am not in favour of this at all. Incidentally I am not in favour of UCD players competing in the Dublin championships either - unless they are limited to just playing for UCD and not their home clubs as well. If a player wants to play for his college then that's what the intervarsity cups are for.

I don't think that John Costello wants these players to declare for Dublin but as he says it would be more to 'see what the implications of such a law would be on transfer traffic. Personally I feel that a cap of 3/4 non Dublin players per senior team would even out this influx and make it fairer across all the clubs.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Go Blue or Stay Away!! Empty Re: Go Blue or Stay Away!!

Post  Podger Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:29 pm

Cant see the KErry guard or Mayo teacher playin forthe Dubs.
Podger
Podger
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Kildare
Number of posts : 118

Back to top Go down