GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Freedom of speech - can the school do this?

+3
Boxtyeater
Grenvile
SamiPremier08
7 posters

Go down

Freedom of speech - can the school do this? Empty Freedom of speech - can the school do this?

Post  SamiPremier08 Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:50 pm

Just wondering what opinions on here were of this:

Earlier this year, after being asked on countless occasions by teachers to take charge of the dying school newspaper, I produced a short (two-sides of A4) satirical newspaper/newsletter based on everyday going-ons at the school and college. It is based mainly on Sixth Form issues but other aspects of school life or news are also included.

It is, in my opinion, thoroughly inoffensive as the stories name no names comment on things as trivial as the appearance of a new door on the site or the fire alarm which has been broken and are clearly light-hearted/satirical.

It has become immensely popular amongst staff and students alike. Back issues can be found here for anyone who is interested: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The school authorities took an instant dislike to the publication and, within two hours of the first issue going out, they had banned it. Since then it has been produced 'illegally' and I will be printing the 12th issue (a 'Christmas Special') tomorrow. The authorities, however, will not be happy if they get wind of the newspaper's continued existence.

Am I right to continue publishing or should I just do what I'm told?
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Freedom of speech - can the school do this? Empty Re: Freedom of speech - can the school do this?

Post  Grenvile Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:13 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote:Just wondering what opinions on here were of this:

Earlier this year, after being asked on countless occasions by teachers to take charge of the dying school newspaper, I produced a short (two-sides of A4) satirical newspaper/newsletter based on everyday going-ons at the school and college. It is based mainly on Sixth Form issues but other aspects of school life or news are also included.

It is, in my opinion, thoroughly inoffensive as the stories name no names comment on things as trivial as the appearance of a new door on the site or the fire alarm which has been broken and are clearly light-hearted/satirical.

It has become immensely popular amongst staff and students alike. Back issues can be found here for anyone who is interested: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The school authorities took an instant dislike to the publication and, within two hours of the first issue going out, they had banned it. Since then it has been produced 'illegally' and I will be printing the 12th issue (a 'Christmas Special') tomorrow. The authorities, however, will not be happy if they get wind of the newspaper's continued existence.

Am I right to continue publishing or should I just do what I'm told?

Hand it to people as they leave the school gates.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Freedom of speech - can the school do this? Empty Re: Freedom of speech - can the school do this?

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:01 pm

Publish and be damned must be the motto here. Publish and leave with your pal Paddy the Indian in the sandwich shop for distribution.
The first edition of 2012 should include a satirical swipe at your principal opponent......What's the worst can happen you?? ...get expelled. Instant fame and the road to Fleet St. opens. Consult your M.P. as well, as it would seem that the current format of presentation needs freshining up over there....

Good luck.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:34 am

It's exactly this type of balatant editorial disregard that has the News of the World where it isn't today.

You will be selling cheap life assurance for the terminally ill on hospital radio next. Disturbing and worthy of closer examination by Lord Justice Leveson.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:22 am

FĂșcking tans
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  North Side Gael Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:30 am

Keep the flag flying sammy censorship is just another obstacle on road to freedom! Maybe drum up support to build a legacy for after you leave by doing a article on censorship of the paper.
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim
Number of posts : 1199

Back to top Go down

Post  Podger Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:32 pm

can the school do this? yes they can. Theycan do what they like mate. You just get your head down and learn your lessons u''ll be grand. Less of this subvedrsive activity itll do you no good. Youre probably only doin it to impress some young wan anyway.
Podger
Podger
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Kildare
Number of posts : 118

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down