GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Denman

5 posters

Go down

Denman  Empty Denman

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:49 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Richard Hoiles' commentary still sends shivers through me:

Relentless, remorseless, has pounded Kauto Star into submission......THE ANSWER IS DENMAN!

Denman's form at the Cheltenham Festival:

2006: 2nd to Nicanor in the Royal and Sun Alliance Hurdle (now the Ballymore Properties Hurdle)
2007: 1st in the RSA Chase
2008: 1st in the Cheltenham Gold Cup
2009: 2nd to Kauto Star in the Cheltenham Gold Cup
2010: 2nd to Imperial Commander in the Cheltenham Gold Cup
2011: 2nd to Long Run in the Cheltenham Gold Cup

Great memories and less us not forget his two Hennessy Gold Cups carrying top weight.

It's hard to believe he only won once after that memorable day three and a half years ago but his Cheltenham record since speaks volumes.

Amazing racehorse.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Denman  Empty Re: Denman

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:56 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:
Richard Hoiles' commentary still sends shivers through me:

Relentless, remorseless, has pounded Kauto Star into submission......THE ANSWER IS DENMAN!

I was fortunate enough to be at Cheltenham that day, and witnessed the mighty Tank at his very best. The race was hyped up massively, with everyone wearing rosettes either of Kauto Star or Denman. As I had done the previous year, I backed Kauto, but was very worried when I saw the 2 horses up close - Denman was enormous in comparison to his great rival, and he looked every inch the superior horse.

His relentless gallop that day proved, at least on that day, that he was the better of the two at Cheltenham. He was simply awesome that Friday afternoon. Despite coming back to win another Hennessey off top weight, he was never quite the same afterwards, and I feel lucky to have witnessed one of the all time greats at his absolute peak.

A well deserved retirement for a mighty horse.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:21 pm

Was there myself too TC! Brilliant horse, and don't forget that it nearly won the Gold Cup after having treatment on his heart too. Great career for the beast, hopefully it'll enjoy retirement.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:00 pm

Great thread Loyal and a fitting tribute to a noble chaser. Fine words too from Paul Nicholls in Beagles post.

To Denman..Denman  Food-s45
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Parouisa Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:27 am

A single thread for a single horse ... the mods have lost control.
Parouisa
Parouisa
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2438

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:45 am

On a sporting forum, every legend is worthy of his place...In this case, as aligned with other racing threads, Denman is a worthy case in point..A great horse, as the threadposter quoted "unrelenting,unremitting" and might I add, unassaible on the day....

Some folk seem to see players in terms of scores and call them genii, disregarding the work outfield, in the case of Denman it was all his own quality.

A super horse..
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down