GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legends of the Fallen ....

2 posters

Go down

Legends of the Fallen .... Empty Legends of the Fallen ....

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun May 08, 2011 12:00 am

The untimely death of Seve brings it to my mind that legends are passing at a fierce rate lately ... and, worryingly, they are legends that I have witnessed! For years the Da or the older generation would mourn the death of sportsmen (and women though far less so to be honest) and enthrall us with tales of their feats. Often the cynical and sceptical youthful eye would be cast heavenwards in a gesture of 'Jaysus he was hardly that good!' When the elderati reminisced the tales seemed taller, the eyes mistier and the deeds greater than we could have imagined. Jayo always assumed and imagined a healthy degree of romanticism among his peers in recounting tales. Like they were trying to say 'Hey lad, we had some bloody good sportspeople in our day - as good as yours'. And those erstwhile heroes gone to the sky did not have the same filmed annals of their heroics. Only black and white or grainy images with interspersing commentary.

Now Jayo finds he is burying heroes and legends by the plotful. Seve, Alex, Georgie, Enery, Moss - and Jayo is asking - Are the young ones looking at me and thinking - yeah right old man - stop building them up. At least the current passing legends have a lot more of their deeds recorded for posterity. Meanwhile Jayo thinks - Gawd - I is getting old ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Legends of the Fallen .... Empty Re: Legends of the Fallen ....

Post  patrique Sun May 08, 2011 3:02 pm

There is obviously a lot of that applies to me.

But Seve was different, I said yesterday he seemed to delight for all of us, not just himself. The lad in the paper put it better, "when seve smiled, the world smiled".

I had forgotten about Moss god forgive me......
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down