GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Intermediate and Junior Hurling Championships

2 posters

Go down

Intermediate and Junior Hurling Championships Empty Intermediate and Junior Hurling Championships

Post  North Side Gael Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:10 pm

Should these competitions not be amalgamated with the christy ring and Nicky rackard/meagher competitions?

Surely more involvement and more big name counties could only help these counties improve? For example, you could really judge the progress of south down if they were in the same division as kk juniors, or is this not right?

I know its all for a day in the sun for these teams but i mean, realistically, the intermediates in munster get a better day in the sun than the christy ring champs getting to play their final pre munster championship?

A lot more could be done with hurling and isnt being done some good hurling folks on here be interesting to hear their thoughts?
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim
Number of posts : 1199

Back to top Go down

Intermediate and Junior Hurling Championships Empty Re: Intermediate and Junior Hurling Championships

Post  North Side Gael Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:19 pm

Just an example of what i mean here and no disrespect to any county this is an example.

If you where a hurler from fermanagh and you could choose which championship to enter, would you choose Fermanagh, Leitrim, cavan and south down or would you choose, fermanagh, cork, antrim and south down?

We want to play the best, as a junior hurler in my club we have two leagues we enter, one a divisional junior league including teams like, lougheile, cushundall, glennariffe, all senior hurling clubs, the experience is amazing, the idea that you are taking on boys who play for the same club as inter county stars is brilliant for young lads coming through.
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim
Number of posts : 1199

Back to top Go down

Intermediate and Junior Hurling Championships Empty Re: Intermediate and Junior Hurling Championships

Post  The Puke Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:33 pm

The problem with intercounty intermediate teams is that they can be very hit and miss and outside of Cork and Kilkenny who have the depth at that level the rest seem to suffer from apathy most years.....In clare it has been used to blood a few lads for the 21's team but in recent years we have had lads playing on the team who weren't making their club sides later in the summer....And given the current economic climate i doubt too many sides are pumping much money into their second teams, although I believe Tipp have successfully applied be allowed use lads from Senior clubs now and should be far better this year

Maybe if it was repackaged and the established teams entered "development squads" or under 23 sides it might get a bit more support but I wouldn't hold my breathe....

Club intermediate can be a different story

Although it was interesting to hear comments from Cooney about looking to see have the provincial boundaries ran their course, certainly for the development of hurling there needs to be more of a pooling of resources.....Letting someone like Paudie Butler go and not replacing him is a pure joke

The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down