GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sports Injuries

+3
black&white
bald eagle
Jayo Cluxton
7 posters

Go down

Sports Injuries Empty Sports Injuries

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:54 am

As the proud owner of an 80 year old's body trapped in the frame of a mid 40s one, I often look at modern day sport and the injury count and potential repercussions.
My own sporting prowess was limited (less than 50 caps), my injuries not horrendous (stitches here and there, broken finger, bruised ego, smashed wrist (playing soccer lads!), but the biggy is a gammy fooking knee that had floating bone removed.

I have had a lot of crap with it over the years. It ended my playing career 10 years ago and in truth I never trained after it - nor did any physio. I did stupidly tog out a few times - well charity fundraisers at Wembley are hard to turn down ... Rolling Eyes Some of the 'breaks' are sore in cold weather but the knee takes the biscuit (great phrase there Jayo - Ed).

So if I am doubled up from fook all play and at a low level - and I am - then I look at other guys and shudder! Never mind the poncey soccer players (though Dave Langan had it bad), our GAA lads have it rough enough betimes - but I look at rugby now and its car crash! Literally! Some of those guys are havng the equivalent of 4/5 car crashes per game! And they ain't getting P'ship poncey money either.

I feel sorry for BOD and the likes. They will be bent double by 50 years of age. I see an ex-international at a lot of games - and he was no tackler - and the guy is withered. And it wasn't like it is now. Is it worth it - not for me anyway Sad
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Sports Injuries Empty Re: Sports Injuries

Post  bald eagle Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:12 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:but the biggy is a gammy fooking knee that had floating bone removed.

Well at least something came out of it for the dog eh?

And don't feel sorry for BOD and the like, they get very well rewarded financially for their sport, something that you or i didn't get! It may not be Prem money but half a loaf is better than no bread!

It's the local league players (soccer, rugger, gaa or whatever) that i feel sorry for, they put in all the effort they can, and when they reach their twilight years they will have to face pain from their playing days and still hold down a full time job. I'd rather be a retired former pro getting by with doing a bit of coaching as a job than a tradesman or farmer or other manual worker who's working role will not change after they retire.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:08 pm

bald eagle wrote:

And don't feel sorry for BOD and the like, they get very well rewarded financially for their sport, something that you or i didn't get! It may not be Prem money but half a loaf is better than no bread!

It's the local league players (soccer, rugger, gaa or whatever) that i feel sorry for, they put in all the effort they can, and when they reach their twilight years they will have to face pain from their playing days and still hold down a full time job. I'd rather be a retired former pro getting by with doing a bit of coaching as a job than a tradesman or farmer or other manual worker who's working role will not change after they retire.

I'd feel sorry for the pro's in rugby alright, not so much at an international level, but certainly at AIL Club level (semi-professional). Some guys at this level have normal jobs on top of their rugby, but there are a number of players who are full time sportsmen (usually on the verge of making a provincial side, whilst playing regularly for a club).
Professional rugby players are so much bigger than their amateur counterparts, that the difference in the impacts in collisions is substantial. Human bodies are not made for the punishment these lads put themselves through. Professional rugby players will retire around 30-35ish, with bugger all prospects for future work. They've spent 10-15 years without a "real" job, and will struggle to find anything outside of rugby (and coaching jobs will only cover 10-15% of them). At least Internationals and, to a lesser extent, provincial players have a bit of public profile to leverage against, and have a few options with which they can trade on their name (open a Pub, PR company, after-dinner speaking). The AIL lads will have things a hell of a lot tougher, and these are the guys I feel really sorry for.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:15 pm

Fair play to you B&W for feeling sorry for professional athletes, i don't for one second feel remotely sorry for them, they are getting paid very good money for a sport they (hopefully) love, i admire them for it! I know for a fact though that professional rugby clubs in England do a lot of work to prepare players for life after Rugby (i've worked with a few), paying for them to do courses etc so it's not all doom and gloom for them when they quit.

As for Semi-Pro rugby players for example in the AIB league, i do have a certain amount of sympathy for them, mainly however as the majority also hold down full time employment. For that reason i don't class them the same as the top level provincial players.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:21 pm

Interesting takes on this. The idea of the thread was really the toll on the body of sporting activity rather than about one's working life after it. Regardless of remuneration I think we are going to see a lot of rugby players more or less crippled when they finish playing - more so than any other sport. American Footballers are padded - rugby lads are not.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:32 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Regardless of remuneration I think we are going to see a lot of rugby players more or less crippled when they finish playing - more so than any other sport. American Footballers are padded - rugby lads are not.

If you dance with the Devil you're going to get burnt my good man, t'is the nature of the beast that injuries happen in these sports and you have to live with that.

The toll on my lucious body has been crazy, now don't get me wrong i didn't particularly look after it when playing but i did and do still attend Physio, Chiro etc, am riddled with arthritis and have been since my late 20's. I knew that i'd suffer in later years but i wouldn't have changed anything, the enjoyment and memories i gained from playing the sports i did far outweighs the pain i sometimes suffer now!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:35 pm

BE - is it true you donated your body to science but they rejected it???
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:44 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:BE - is it true you donated your body to science but they rejected it???

Very true, they were afraid that it would get the "Marilyn Monroe" treatment from the female workers!!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:45 pm

intersting post JC - i recently listened to Bernard Jackman on radio talking baout his new book and his relationship with Cheika towards the of his career - the mans body was a mess after all the abuse it took and he talked in length about the dismissive attitude in Rugby with concussion type injuries, Its only recently they have taken it seriously and imposed 'time outs' for players who suffered concussion injuries.

Anyway he wasnt fit to play for the last few months of his contract and him and Cheika fell out over it - as Cheika expected him to play regardless of the injuries he had.

Look at our own Brian Dooher that man will be in a wheelchair before he's 50 and for what - there wont be as many backslappers and well wishers then.

My own sporting career was blighted by a back injury and also shin splints - still suffer with the feckers they are a sore handling

Last edited by bocerty on Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:48 pm

Thats what I am getting at here Boc. Btw - Is Jackmans book worth a read?
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:12 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Thats what I am getting at here Boc. Btw - Is Jackmans book worth a read?

i havent read it JC sorry - but listneing to him on the radio i got the impression if the book was anything like the man it would be well worth the read - might send another letter to Santa!!!!
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:14 am

bocerty wrote: - might send another letter to Santa!!!!

"Please do - I am still bursting me bolilx at your first one" - signed, Prancer ...
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:15 am

Dunno if this counts but I was in bed one time with some bird and we figured we'd try out something new. I won't bore ye with the gory details but to cut it short I ended up with a dislocated shoulder. I was screaming my head off in agony but the bird thought they were all screams of joy which only served to complicate matters further. Eventually she copped on and tried popping my shoulder back into place. That didn't work either so I ended up literally, having my whole left arm pretty much hanging out of me arseways, a sight neither pretty nor pleasant I can assure ye. Eventually, after much pain and agony and being laughed at at by this bird, I was whisked away bollock naked in an ambulance. The last thing I remember of the night was being pumped full of morphine and laughing gas so it wasn't all bad I suppose.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:17 am

mossbags wrote:Dunno if this counts but I was in bed one time with some bird and we figured we'd try out something new. I won't bore ye with the gory details but to cut it short I ended up with a dislocated shoulder. I was screaming my head off in agony but the bird thought they were all screams of joy which only served to complicate matters further. Eventually she copped on and tried popping my shoulder back into place. That didn't work either so I ended up literally, having my whole left arm pretty much hanging out of me arseways. Eventually, after much pain and agony and being laughed at at by this bird, I was whisked away bollock naked in an ambulance. The last thing I remember of the night was being pumped full of morphine and laughing gas so it wasn't all bad I suppose.

Always make sure the bird has built in wardrobes ya twat ...
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:47 am

Personally I wouldn't mind a sports injury.. At least you could say you were fooked because you made the decision to go out on the field or make that tackle.. Instead my ailment comes from nature saying "Emmmmmmmmm.... You there, the handsome fella from Cavan, yeah you're gonna be the one from several thousand to suffer from this" Evil or Very Mad

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:02 am

Jonsmith wrote:Personally I wouldn't mind a sports injury.. At least you could say you were fooked because you made the decision to go out on the field or make that tackle.. Instead my ailment comes from nature saying "Emmmmmmmmm.... You there, the handsome fella from Cavan, yeah you're gonna be the one from several thousand to suffer from this" Evil or Very Mad

Mmmmmmmmmmmm from Cavan - one from several thousand ...mmmmm... JS is siffering from generosity!!!!!!!!

Share the rest ya fukcer (if you want) and we'll either help ya or laugh at ya - haven't decided yet"
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:13 am

A spontaneous pneumothorax.. 3 times at the last count. Waiting to go under the knife. Could be worse I know I shouldn't be complaining. After spending a lot of my youth getting thrown and beaten around a mat and hit with hurleys etc and things go **** up when I'm sitting in the library!

Last edited by Jonsmith on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:20 am

Jonsmith wrote:A collapsing lung.. 3 times at the last count. Waiting to go under the knife. Could be worse I know I shouldn't be complaining. After spending a lot of my youth getting thrown and beaten around a mat and hit with hurleys etc and things go **** up when I'm sitting in the library!

Sorry but this does not count as a 'Sporting injury'. Please adhere to the thread in question
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:24 am

Jonsmith wrote:A collapsing lung.. 3 times at the last count. Waiting to go under the knife. Could be worse I know I shouldn't be complaining. After spending a lot of my youth getting thrown and beaten around a mat and hit with hurleys etc and things go **** up when I'm sitting in the library!

Aw **** off JS - the minute I start a thread saying I help hospices this **** starts! And you got your exams as well. Talk to me in February ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:26 am

mossbags wrote:

Sorry but this does not count as a 'Sporting injury'. Please adhere to the thread in question

I was changing my fantasy football team at the time?

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:31 am

Jonsmith wrote:
mossbags wrote:

Razz fair enuff, ps always helps to tip the surgeon BEFORE the operation Wink
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:42 am

mossbags wrote:
Jonsmith wrote:
mossbags wrote:

Razz fair enuff, ps always helps to tip the surgeon BEFORE the operation Wink

If you ordered a meal in a restaurant and it hadn't arrived in about 3 hours and when you inquire why it's taking so long the waiter tells you that your not hungry enough but if you faint from the hunger they'll hurry it up because then you'll be sitting down and taking up a seat.. Would you tip the chef when your meal arrives?

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:43 pm

Only a minor irritant to a man of your calibre JS. Good luck with it (or maybe without it!!) going forward - hope its sorted soon.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  scoopmine Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:20 pm

Dislocated kneecap when i was 17 in a minor game...
Torn hamstrings and balance problems cause of the orginal injury and didnt look after it
Damaged collar bone, broken thumb twice
Stevens night there slipped on a friends driveway damaged my ankle ligaments spent the night and next day in drogeda only off the crutchs today..
Didnt stop the beer in cavan tho!
scoopmine
scoopmine
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan
Number of posts : 264

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:16 pm

Knee has been completely fooked over the Xmas - swollen double its size and sore as hell. Dunno whats going on at all but need to get it seen asap. Was thinking maybe the Sports Clinic but the neighbour who had a knee replacement last April tells me he (VHI) paid €16k for it affraid !!! Cappagh cheaper and just as good he reckons. As a public patient I may be waiting a few years though I reckon .... Sad
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down