GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On a cold winter's night ....

Go down

On a cold winter's night .... Empty On a cold winter's night ....

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:54 pm

On a bitter cold night, and the heating disconnected, pull the duvet tighter and drift off to a warmer place ....

Croker - end of July. Travelling more in hope than anticipation. Two spankings at this stage in the previous two years have resulted in caution being the bye word. The warm feeling of a corporate ticket in the phóca at least gives the reassurance that a good day will be had win, lose or draw. The first pints are imbibed as the initial drama unfolds and Down continue their unbeaten streak against the Kingdom. In truth hardly a tear is shed as the main prize is now a lot more attainable for the remaining combatants. The Hill is heaving, a sea of blue and the Tyrone men and women are here in good numbers as usual - with the Down supporters doing the Ulster thing - staying for the two games and supporting their own. Around me in the stadium I see 8 empty seats - the Kerry fans have all left. Laughing The weather has cleared and the throats are readied. How will Dublin's new style - of which I am a big fan Very Happy - handle this test?

The ball is thrown in. Dublin are out of the blocks early and race into a 3 point lead - dare we dream? But Tyrone hit back and after half an hour it all to play for - unlike 2008! Penrose cracks the crossbar on the stoke of halftime - audible gasps of relief - and time for a couple of quick free pints! And so the scores are swapped with no-one able to pull ahead - 10 minutes left and its all square.

And then it happens. Eoghan O;Gara cracks on into the net - bedlam, hoarseness and general mayhem, Two additional points and the Dubs are home by 5 at 5.30.

I desperately search Croke Park to commiserate with my Tyrone brethren but cannot find them. And so to Fagan's and a night to remember. Ah it'd warm the cockles of the heart ..........

Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down