GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Railway Cups

2 posters

Go down

Railway Cups Empty Railway Cups

Post  North Side Gael Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:01 am

dont even know if these are happening this year, the gaa has in my eyes betrayed them opting instead for the extremely boring international rules or americanised all star trips.

I believe in the interests of keeping them going we need to give them a kick, remove the funding for international rules and all star games and invest in these.

You could have an international swing on these, you could have the four provinces plus an all star team, you could have Britain, Europe, America (USA and Canada), Australia/Asia.

Playing throughout the year, ie in october you have your first round of games, could be played in the one venue on one weekend, 2 games sat and sunday, costing will be dropped as a result of bulk purchase of accomodation, flights etc then your next games in november then finals around christmas (as a spectacle) this would gain interest but it would need significant and proper marketing.

Im rambling a bit but i think yous get my jist about spicing up these once great competitions.
North Side Gael
North Side Gael
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Antrim
Number of posts : 1199

Back to top Go down

Railway Cups Empty Re: Railway Cups

Post  bald eagle Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:45 am

The GAA have postponed the Interprovincials for this year stating that there was no interest in them despite "heavy marketing" from them in the past. Sad but this event just doesn't seem to be what the GAA want as a trip to Enniskillen in October or November somehow doesn't stimulate them as much as a all inculsive trip to Australia!

I think i remember seeing comments from Mickey Harte of a similar ilk NSG. He said that the best thing to do to improve the international view of the GAA would be to invest in a International Junior tournament and bring teams from all the GAAs international bodies to play in a yearly tournament.

Great idea when you think of it but then you have to think of the poor men at the top table of the GAA who wouldn't get their lovely free holiday to Australia every other year, being treated like lords by the AFL. Instead they would get to see the real essence of the Irish exiles GAA, piss poor and potless, running on a shoe string budget while trying to keep Gaelic Games alive in their area as best they can. Heaven forbid, it might even cost the GAA some money to run such an event!

Perhaps they should take a leaf out of the Australians book in other ways. The AFL are masters of self publicity and they do a hell of a lot of work in developing the game abroad and it is always well reported on, see [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for more details on the various world leagues. They also are a "one country" top level sport but they are relentless in their stance in the development of the sport worldwide, something that the GAA are not! The GAA are happy to have bodies abroad and oversea, but they could live without them just as easy.....as long as they get their little jollys away!

Another thing the GAA could do with looking to the AFL for a lead in is having a worldwide tournament. Every 3 years the AFL have an International Cup in Melbourne with select teams from countrys getting together to play in the tournament (something i turned down the chance to play in in 2008) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] , this is well publicised on the AFL website too [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. I know there was an International Ladies Gaelic tournament a few years back but not sure if that exists now. The GAA and the top brass really have to questioned on their stance on the development of the GAA overseas but the impression i get is that Christy Cooney couldn't give a toss!!!*

*this is my own view and not the view of GAATipster.ie

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down