GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Country is Goosed

+13
Peter Solan the Great
Thomas Clarke
patrique
mullins
Boxtyeater
bocerty
Grenvile
Real Kerry Fan
mossbags
Jayo Cluxton
RMDrive
hipster 2
OMAR
17 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Country is Goosed Empty Country is Goosed

Post  OMAR Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:16 pm

I realise that there is a thread about moaners pessimists etc but this morning
I finally let go of any remaining optimisim re Ireland Inc.
For the past 18 months I bought i Question nto the Brian L mantra - Nama, Tax increases, Public service cuts etc etc. International confidence - Lenihan most respected finance minister in Europe and all that jargon and thought that if we all took a bit of pain on tax, pension levys, lower "expense allowances for public servants etc that maybe over a five year period we could at least claw our way back to some level of economic normality.

In reality it was all hot air - the truth is the country is goosed - we are as well getting the bail out now - let the IMF in cut public sector expenditure in half and lets get on with it. Otherwise We will sit through another sham of a budget with unions bosses looking for pay increases and the country in anarchy because our social welfare payments have been reduced to 300% of the UK rate rather that the 350% we once enjoyed.

For me the final conclusive evidence of our eventual outcome is the bond markets over the past fortnight and in particular the media comments that Goldman Sachs and a few of the predatory hedge funds are happy to short Irish bonds even at 6.5%. These are the same guys that shorted property - sub prime - UK property stocks - Irish banks etc as early as late 2006. They were smart enough then to spot that the property market would implode - and now they have decided we are a basket case - To be honest it becomes a self fufilling prophecy because they more the short Ireland and the more negative news the FT or the WSJ spin the higher out interest bill goes and the more likely we are to hit the skids.

So im off to take the communion money out of the post office - convert it to gold and bury it in the bottom of the garden.
Come three months time it will buy me a village of pubs

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Country is Goosed Empty Re: Country is Goosed

Post  hipster 2 Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:08 pm

omar this country is sinking and sinking fast , and its all our fault
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin
Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:46 pm

The next budget is critical. Quick decisive action is required. What is done is secondary to the way in which it is done. Do it quick. Do everything that is required. Remove as much uncertainty as possible.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:48 pm

BTW can't believe Labour showed so highly in a poll there last week. The party with NO policies (see what I did there?). Labour is against everything and won't clearly state it's own plan to get the country out of the mess. I believe however that the poll was only conducted in Dublin which means that the poll will not reflect the ballot boxes.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:48 pm

Don't believe everything you read. Have faith - look at all the 2010 cars around. People still have plenty to spend .......
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:50 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Don't believe everything you read. Have faith - look at all the 2010 cars around. People still have plenty to spend .......

For some this is true. All the farmers that got millions for their few acres still have that money. For every ghose estate, there's a landowner who packeted a nice sum and unless they went over to the other side, they are sitting securely on that money. I'm sure it's a comfort to them while they are waiting on the next EU grant payment.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:22 am

Intelligent Irish people(Myself and Patrique) will always have money to spend.

As for the rest of ye

pig
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:28 am

I forgot to include Samin who lives off his gambling.

PS
Question for the Topic starter, how is that racehorse of yours getting along?
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:35 am

It is surely goosed when you see that poor Seanie has to live in €188.00 per month. Sad IMF, please to come and bail this man out. He was one of main Celtic Tiger architects and we could do with his like again. Shocked
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:58 pm

mossbags wrote:I forgot to include Samin who lives off his gambling.

PS
Question for the Topic starter, how is that racehorse of yours getting along?

Well he gets a cheque for €1500 a month to keep him in hay - other than that not much news
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:54 pm

It's not all bad.

Two years ago, I trademarked the phrase 'going forward'.

I now earn royalties whenever it is mentioned in public.

So far, Fianna Fail politicians have uttered it 863 times in various interviews in the media, earning me the notable sum of €431.50.

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:36 pm

Sebastian wrote:It's not all bad.

Two years ago, I trademarked the phrase 'going forward'.

I now earn royalties whenever it is mentioned in public.

So far, Fianna Fail politicians have uttered it 863 times in various interviews in the media, earning me the notable sum of €431.50.

Its usually our Leader -
I'd say he has said it more than your estimate - It can be hard to decipher once there is a scoop of Probably on board. You might get IMRO or someone to arrrange a blanket charge based on Floor space or something.

Note to Ed/RM
Above comment cannot be deemed libelous as to prove damages for libel you have to make comment that is likely to lower the esteem of the victim in the eyes of the common man - There also has to be damages resulting from said comment. Above comment is consistent with recent media comment so hence no additional damages can be caused in the view of prudent - Common man etc.

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:53 pm

OMAR wrote:
Note to Ed/RM
Above comment cannot be deemed libelous as to prove damages for libel you have to make comment that is likely to lower the esteem of the victim in the eyes of the common man - There also has to be damages resulting from said comment. Above comment is consistent with recent media comment so hence no additional damages can be caused in the view of prudent - Common man etc.

Worth mentioning that Libel and Slander were both abolished under the 2009 Defamation act and are now both included in the general term of "Defamation" without distinction between the two..

Mmmmm... Pedantic..

Twisted Evil

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:57 pm

Jonsmith wrote:
OMAR wrote:
Note to Ed/RM

Worth mentioning that Libel and Slander were both abolished under the 2009 Defamation act and are now both included in the general term of "Defamation" without distinction between the two..

Mmmmm... Pedantic..

Twisted Evil

Hope you are allowed on line access to Irishstatute.ie when you do those exams Suspect

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:01 pm

if its any consolation lads, thanks to the Tory governement we are headed in the same fooking direction - cuts cuts cuts thats all we hear about up here. Scary times ahead me thinks..................

Last edited by bocerty on Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:11 pm

I have a photographic memory, looking up the stuff would only slow me down....

No that's a filthy lie right there. I have the Tort exam long passed. First one in the morning (which you can actually bring the Company Acts into coincidentally) and I'm not well prepared. But if I'm going to fail I'll not be going down without a struggle. If Mr Examiner is going to fail me he's going to have to sift through a lot of waffle first.. Twisted Evil

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  hipster 2 Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:09 pm

well whats the best way out of this mess
hipster 2
hipster 2
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

dublin
Number of posts : 467

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:18 pm

hipster 2 wrote:well whats the best way out of this mess

emigrate to Canada
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:01 pm

Jonsmith wrote:I have a photographic memory, looking up the stuff would only slow me down....

No that's a filthy lie right there. I have the Tort exam long passed. First one in the morning (which you can actually bring the Company Acts into coincidentally) and I'm not well prepared. But if I'm going to fail I'll not be going down without a struggle. If Mr Examiner is going to fail me he's going to have to sift through a lot of waffle first.. Twisted Evil

Well typical law student then - Knows all the interesting stuff

Criminal and the interesting Tort stuff (defamtion, Negligence, Passing off etc) - Then starts to struggle a bit with Succession or family law but will make the odd half reasonable stab in the dark - however once you get into the dreaded c word - company, constitutional, competition or contract just expect to receive a blank stare and a bizarre reference to Caryle v Carbolic Smokeball company

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:35 pm

That's playing it fast and loose with the word "interesting"

Succession would be the more interesting element of Property Law, by far actually.. The other end of the scale being "fee farm grants" etc, supposedly abolished but still sitting pretty on the Law Soc syllabus.. EU is a lot more digestable than I first thought but Constitutional is without a doubt the worst I have experienced. It seems every judge and academic triples their word count when delivering an opinion on Constitutional matters. Makes it that much harder to study when any piece of EU Legislation ranks above it..

Any religious folk on GT? I feel it's going to take a divine intervention to save me now..

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:11 am

Jonsmith wrote:That's playing it fast and loose with the word "interesting"

Succession would be the more interesting element of Property Law, by far actually.. The other end of the scale being "fee farm grants" etc, supposedly abolished but still sitting pretty on the Law Soc syllabus.. EU is a lot more digestable than I first thought but Constitutional is without a doubt the worst I have experienced. It seems every judge and academic triples their word count when delivering an opinion on Constitutional matters. Makes it that much harder to study when any piece of EU Legislation ranks above it..

Any religious folk on GT? I feel it's going to take a divine intervention to save me now..

'Paraphrase' some academic work. Cite some appropriate article or judgment then just give your broad interpretation of what was written, this has always worked for me. I never read much more than the intro and abstract of them and I was getting decent results most of the time.

Just spoof confidently! (especially if it's the more ambiguous subjects like constitutional or EU)

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:28 am

"This represents just one step backwards for the country after many steps forward" Suspect

Cowen and Co, like a 90 year old blind woman trying to reverse an artic lorry into a parking space, get the f*** out from behind the wheel, hand the keys to the IMF and lets get on with it.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:23 pm

Irish borrowing gone up to 7.5% today. Shrewd IMF officials already booking cheap Ryanair flights for early Spring.

So lads Canada or Australia?

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:36 pm

I assume that the best results in law exams are based on spoof and waffle. Our Taoiseach and Finance Minister are prime examples. Rolling Eyes
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:50 pm

Biffo has a new plan to help us in the event of Angela Merkle taking over as Taoiseach....He's trying, God love him....

The Fianna Fail party has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the Irish Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5- year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publikenthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling.

Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vordskontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensibl riten styl.

Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi TU understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas.

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next