GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 2010 football All-Stars......

+10
patrique
GAA-Fan
bluearmy1
Loyal2TheRoyal
Thomas Clarke
Jayo Cluxton
JimWexford
redhandman
Grenvile
Boxtyeater
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The 2010 football All-Stars...... Empty The 2010 football All-Stars......

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:34 pm

The nominations for these prestigious (tho' sometimes dubious) awards have been announced. Feel free to discuss.
I'm up to my oxters at the moment with loads of stuff going on (flatout.com) and will ruminate later.....

Goalkeepers
Alan Quirke (Cork), Brendan McVeigh (Down), Pascal McConnell (Tyrone)

Full-backs
Michael Shields (Cork), Rory O'Carroll (Dublin), Peter Kelly (Kildare), Charlie Harrison (Sligo), Philip McMahon (Dublin), Justin McMahon (Tyrone), Dan Gordon (Down), John O'Brien (Louth), Marc Ó Sé (Kerry)

Half-backs
Paudie Kissane (Cork), Kevin McKernan (Down), Philip Jordan (Tyrone), Emmet Bolton (Kildare), Tomás Ó Sé (Kerry), Graham Canty (Cork), Noel O'Leary (Cork), Joe McMahon (Tyrone), Eamon Callaghan (Kildare)

Midfielders
Aidan Walsh (Cork), Paddy Keenan (Louth), Michael D Macauley (Dublin), John Galvin (Limerick), Kalum King (Down), Nicholas Murphy (Cork)

Half-forwards
Paddy Kelly (Cork), Daniel Hughes (Down), Graham Reilly (Meath), Martin Clarke (Down), Joe Sheridan (Meath), John Doyle (Kildare), Paul Kerrigan (Cork), Seamus Kenny (Meath), Cathal Cregg (Roscommon)

Full-forwards
Daniel Goulding (Cork), Bernard Brogan (Dublin), Donie Shine (Roscommon), Colm Cooper (Kerry), Donncha O'Connor (Cork), David Kelly (Sligo), Benny Coulter (Down), James Kavanagh (Kildare), Padraic Joyce (Galway)
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

The 2010 football All-Stars...... Empty Re: The 2010 football All-Stars......

Post  Grenvile Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:43 pm

Tomas O'Se?? Evil or Very Mad

Good to see Joyce getting a nomination..

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:37 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:The nominations for these prestigious (tho' sometimes dubious) awards have been announced. Feel free to discuss.
I'm up to my oxters at the moment with loads of stuff going on (flatout.com) and will ruminate later.....

Goalkeepers

Full-backs
Michael Shields (Cork), Rory O'Carroll (Dublin), Peter Kelly (Kildare), Charlie Harrison (Sligo), Philip McMahon (Dublin), Justin McMahon (Tyrone), Dan Gordon (Down), John O'Brien (Louth), Marc Ó Sé (Kerry)

Half-backs
Paudie Kissane (Cork), Kevin McKernan (Down), Philip Jordan (Tyrone), Emmet Bolton (Kildare), Tomás Ó Sé (Kerry), Graham Canty (Cork), Noel O'Leary (Cork), Joe McMahon (Tyrone), Eamon Callaghan (Kildare)

Midfielders
Aidan Walsh (Cork), Paddy Keenan (Louth), Michael D Macauley (Dublin), John Galvin (Limerick), Kalum King (Down), Nicholas Murphy (Cork)

Half-forwards
Paddy Kelly (Cork), Daniel Hughes (Down), Graham Reilly (Meath), Martin Clarke (Down), Joe Sheridan (Meath), Paul Kerrigan (Cork),[b]John Doyle (Kildare), [/b] Seamus Kenny (Meath), Cathal Cregg (Roscommon)

Full-forwards
Daniel Goulding (Cork), Bernard Brogan (Dublin), Donie Shine (Roscommon), Colm Cooper (Kerry), Donncha O'Connor (Cork), David Kelly (Sligo), Benny Coulter (Down), James Kavanagh (Kildare), Padraic Joyce (Galway)

from the shortlist that would be my team. i think their will be a wide spread of teams included this year as some many teams were of the one level. cork could get probably half due to winning the all ireland but this would be grossly unfair. but sure semis and the final usually only count for these award. cluxton can feel rightly aggrived to not be nominated.
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:19 pm

Agree with most,
Have Shields in full back line instead of Mcmahon
Agree with HB line
Think P.Keehan will get one in midfield, more a sympathy vote but deserved (Louth to win something this year)
Dan Hughes a shoe in the half forward line along with Clark and Johnny Doyle, Paddy Kelly strong shout here as well.
Agree with the FF line
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:22 pm

JimWexford wrote:Agree with most,
Have Shields in full back line instead of Mcmahon
Agree with HB line
Think P.Keehan will get one in midfield, more a sympathy vote but deserved (Louth to win something this year)
Dan Hughes a shoe in the half forward line along with Clark and Johnny Doyle, Paddy Kelly strong shout here as well.
Agree with the FF line

jim i felt i had to throw a few cork men in hence danny hughes missing out.
i honestly feel mcmahon might get one just as they usually try to give each provinical winner one . he was tyrones stand out player and the full back line isnt bursting with class. hard to squeeze in a rossie man shine maybe but not better than any of the other forwards.
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:42 pm

Cluxton not even getting a nomination is a joke. 3 Meath men in the half forward line is just laughable - and I thought Cullen deserved a nomination here.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:00 pm

redhandman wrote:
jim i felt i had to throw a few cork men in hence danny hughes missing out.
i honestly feel mcmahon might get one just as they usually try to give each provinical winner one . he was tyrones stand out player and the full back line isnt bursting with class. hard to squeeze in a rossie man shine maybe but not better than any of the other forwards.

Shields and Justy McMahon could both get in the FB line, although Justy is likely to lose out to the other McMahon (Philly).

For me, Tyrone's stand-out player was Jordan, and I'd definitely have him in my team. For me, he was easily the best half-back in Ireland this year.

Jayo, I'd agree on Cluxton for nomination (over Quirke), but McVeigh should be a certainty for that slot. Cullen could possibly have made it, but then so could Mulligan or Penrose or a handful of others, but, at the end of the day, none of them would be close to winning the award.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:19 pm

the only Armagh player who i thought was worthy of a nomination was Brendan Donaghey. Absolutely brilliant for us in every game, hardly gave Paddy Bradley a kick (not that much of a big deal these days to be fair), kept McManus of Monaghan scoreless from play (good going considering the hammering we got), kept Michael Murphy extremely quiet, gave a masterclass of defending and high fielding against fermanagh in absolutely terrible conditions, kept the big full forward for Dublin scoreless and did well on Bernard Brogan when eventually moved onto him. Absolutely brilliant for us last year as well against Tyrone and Monaghan. Could be doing with a few more class acts like him

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:25 pm

samin10 wrote:the only Armagh player who i thought was worthy of a nomination was Brendan Donaghey.

Yeah, I'm an admirer of Donaghy also, not least because he's almost a Tyrone man!!

He has developed from a raw and eager prspect a couple of years ago, and has now probably become Armagh's best defender.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:34 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Cluxton not even getting a nomination is a joke. 3 Meath men in the half forward line is just laughable - and I thought Cullen deserved a nomination here.

Looks like he paid the price for the five goals but two-thirds of the real culprits, from a Dublin point of view, got away with it, as evidenced by their nominations in the full-back line. So I'd agree that Cluxton is unlucky but he's probably not the most obvious absentee.

No Kevin Reilly in the FB line surprised me in so much that yes I thought he was in the top nine 2-4s in the country but knew the selectors were liable to overlook him. He'd be the number three in my team.

The selections in the backs will probably come from players who played in the semi-finals simply because they represent the defensive systems of their respective counties. Bolton, McKeever and Kissane look the favoured trio in the half-backs but would agree that Jordan was better than all three.

Aidan Walsh has to get in midfield. Subject of some very unfair criticism on this website but finally proved them wrong in the final. Other position looks between Galvin and Keenan with me favouring the Louth man.

Three Meath half-forwards is a surprise but nice to see them in there after our march to the semis last year yielded just one nomination. I don't expect any to feature on the final team, but probably Bigey is our best chance. Cullen is unlucky not to get nominated as is Alan Brogan.

The full-forward line is the most competitive with one spot seemingly reserved for wonder boy Brogan. He'd struggle to make my team but thats not for now. Brogan apart, Cooper has to be included but the RTE Team of the Year furore generated will not help his case. His genius was there for all a trained eye to see from start to finish of championship.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  bluearmy1 Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:56 pm

Well was talking to some of the Down lads up in the Hatfield House on Tuesday night.....a lot of drink had been taken onboard but the craic is this, where the Down players are involved.

McVeigh didn't get keeper. Quirke got it.

Hughes got his.

Clarke

McKernan (a Down defender even getting nominated for an All Star is an absolute credit to the work done to bring this Down defence up to scratch)

Not sure about Dan or Kalum King but doubtful enough.

Coulter not getting an All Star (probably because of the final but really will this man ever get some sort of meaningful award for basically carrying the Down team on his back for the guts of a decade?)

Disappointed Dee Rafferty didn't get a nomination, thought he was excellent this year.

Well that was the word being put out anyway but its all a blur really :O
bluearmy1
bluearmy1
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Down
Number of posts : 307

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:01 pm

The inclusion of Nicholas Murphy (nomination for services), Kerrigan, Kenny and the two O'Sé's are a bit tenuous.
The omission of Cluxton is probably down to the Meath match. Ross Donovan and Jonny Davey can feel a little aggrieved but not overly so. Dermot Earley can also feel a little hard done by but such is sport.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:06 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:The nominations for these prestigious (tho' sometimes dubious) awards have been announced. Feel free to discuss.

Goalkeepers

Full-backs

Half-backs
Midfielders

Half-forwards
Paddy Kelly (Cork), Daniel Hughes (Down), Graham Reilly (Meath), Martin Clarke (Down), Joe Sheridan (Meath), John Doyle (Kildare), Paul Kerrigan (Cork), Seamus Kenny (Meath), Cathal Cregg (Roscommon)

Full-forwards

That's my 15 selections at any rate.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:31 pm

Goalkeepers

Full-backs

Half-backs

Midfielders

Half-forwards

Full-forwards
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:34 pm

How did Quirke get a nomination? Does anyone remember him making a save?

In 1971 when they started, even up to the 1990s I think, this were worth something.

They used to "honour" players who had performed well that year, however humble their origins. Hence we had Wee Andy from Antrim, Barnes Murphy from Sligo and Paddy Moriarity before anyone outside of the six counties had heard of Armagh.

Using that yardstick Paul galvin who did most to beat Cork, the only game they lost, would be in, and Gooch is a shoe in.

Galvin of Limerick would also be in.

However todays selectors only see the semi and the final, and simply pick 95% of the team from that.

patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:13 am

It's focused on teams that deserve one rather than players who deserve one.
How often do you hear stuff like ... "Well Sligo deserve one anyway" or "Kildare should get 2 or 3"? It's BS. Name the players on these teams who consistently played better than their same number on other teams.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:14 am

RMDrive wrote:It's focused on teams that deserve one rather than players who deserve one.
How often do you hear stuff like ... "Well Sligo deserve one anyway" or "Kildare should get 2 or 3"? It's BS. Name the players on these teams who consistently played better than their same number on other teams.

BTW, I not say that Sligo or Kildare players don't deserve an AS - just using them as examples.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:16 am

RMDrive wrote:It's focused on teams that deserve one rather than players who deserve one.

Are you implying that Sligo and Kildare don't deserve any AllStars?
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:27 am

How did Quirke get a nomination? Does anyone remember him making a save?

couldnt agree more P dont even remember him getting his shirt dirty. Absolute joke of a nomination. Mc Veigh was best keeper on view all year.

bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:36 am

bocerty wrote:How did Quirke get a nomination? Does anyone remember him making a save?

couldnt agree more P dont even remember him getting his shirt dirty. Absolute joke of a nomination. Mc Veigh was best keeper on view all year.

He was nominated as Cork are in danger of having one of the lowest ever hauls for all-ireland champions.

Realistically, Cork could have as few as 4 all-stars, and Quirke could be one of them. In fact, 4 would be generous to them. Don't be surprised to see Quirke win the award just to try and placate the Rebels.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:41 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
bocerty wrote:How did Quirke get a nomination? Does anyone remember him making a save?

He was nominated as Cork are in danger of having one of the lowest ever hauls for all-ireland champions.

Realistically, Cork could have as few as 4 all-stars, and Quirke could be one of them. In fact, 4 would be generous to them. Don't be surprised to see Quirke win the award just to try and placate the Rebels.

and rightly so TC they dont deserve All Stars just because they are All Ireland Champs though as Patrique says its only a farce of an exercise
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:48 am

In bold below is not my selection but rather who I think they will pick! I would give one to Gooch but they won't. Also MDMcA but they won't - he's too young and will get more chances is what they will be thinking. I would have had Cluxton too - amazed he's not even in the nominations but feel Quirke will get one when McVeigh should. I also think Benny will miss out as BB is a definite as is Kavanagh IMO - leaving Cork having to get the last one - and I think it will be O'Connor as Goulding got MotM in the Final.

Boxtyeater wrote:Goalkeepers

Full-backs

Half-backs

Midfielders

Half-forwards

Full-forwards
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:26 pm

A limit could be brought in on the max. number of players from one county being nominated but I believe if they are good enough then they are good enough and it shouldn't matter who they play for. You could have been one of the most outstanding footballers or hurlers during the championship but just because your team didn't go far enough you don't get one.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:35 pm

This would be my team for what its worth......

Goalkeepers

Full-backs

Half-backs

Midfielders

Half-forwards

Full-forwards
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo
Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:35 pm

couldnt agree more P dont even remember him getting his shirt dirty.

Did you not see them doing Klinsmann dives across the pitch at the end?

Any goalkeeper that conceedes 6 goals in a season is not the best. Yes Cork's defence is very good but that is their job to stop goals as it is the goalkeepers.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next