GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bernard Brogan is a god

+9
Thomas Clarke
JimWexford
mullins
Shinners
OMAR
Grenvile
bocerty
Jayo Cluxton
whiterbananas
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bernard Brogan is a god - Page 2 Empty Re: Bernard Brogan is a god

Post  OMAR Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:36 pm

And BB and he had one on one by then - one slip and Jayo could always sniff out a goal ....... remember 1995. Alas he walked down Clonliffe in his civvies pennys sponsored stone washed denims... like me![/quote]
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:45 pm

I was just thinking OMAR - if you are an ex-player you can't really wear the jersey. It would be naff - and he wasn't!! Razz Just a blue shirt!!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Possibly Jayo might have done something, but I'm not convinced. The last time I saw him he looked finished, but I havent seen him recently so unfair to say what he could have done.

Keaney seems to have regressed. He looked excellent in 2005, and in patches since, but I don't think he would have caused Cadogan much trouble with so little support around him. Keaney has maybe been a casualty of the system, a bit like Mossy.

What about Kevin McManaman? He played in almost every league game, but seems to have fallen well down the list as the summer has gone on.

just wondering but when was the last time you seen sherlock
scratch
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:15 pm

mullins wrote:
just wondering but when was the last time you seen sherlock[/b]

It would have been after that. When he didn't touch the ball against Kerry.

Jayo was a very good footballer, but I think it is fanciful to have expected him to do something against Cork on Sunday. But who knows, we can only guess.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:28 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
mullins wrote:
just wondering but when was the last time you seen sherlock[/b]

It would have been after that. When he didn't touch the ball against Kerry.

Jayo was a very good footballer, but I think it is fanciful to have expected him to do something against Cork on Sunday. But who knows, we can only guess.

Against the kingdom can't comment on that i left after 5 mins.. Embarassed
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:43 pm

mullins wrote:Against the kingdom can't comment on that i left after 5 mins.. Embarassed

Jaysus that's brutal mullins. I was three minutes ahead of ya .....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:38 pm

I felt sorry for Brogan on Sunday. 15 minutes to go and he was, by and large, ploughing a lone furrow. Keaney added a bit of a physical presence but lacks pace.
O'Gara, well there's nothing to add to what's been already said. He's in his first year and if persisted with, coached and could improve on his accuracy, he might retain his place next year. I'm doubtful about him I must say and therefore doubtful of Gilroy who threw him in in the first place. Surely there's more accurate, natural, clever forwards of his stature in Dublin.

On the thread, I wouldn't like to be a Dublin supporter should Brogan do a cruciate during the National League. Without him they are a modest, at best team....
Dublin aren't Kilkenny, where the talisman is replaceable in a flash..
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:08 am

Boxtyeater wrote:
On the thread, I wouldn't like to be a Dublin supporter should Brogan do a cruciate during the National League. Without him they are a modest, at best team......

Totally agree with the above, yet this point seems to have been over-looked in the rush to acclaim this Dublin team as the start of something special.

Given the fall in standard in the championship this year (i.e. the decline of Tyrone & Kerry), there will be opportunities for a lot of counties to win Sam over the next 3-4 years, and Dublin could be one of them. However, Bernard Brogan is everything to their gameplan, and he must stay fit and healthy if Dublin are to build on this year.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:21 am

Bernard has been the star player of the championship this year. God, no but a class act and he has earned the praise and respect of the country. Do not knock the lad but appreciate his talent. Very Happy
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:17 pm

I think we are all getting a little carried away with Brogan here.

If you make a player of Brogan's calibre the focal point of your attack, then its inevitable he will rack up big scores. Past examples of this would include Paddy Bradley (Derry), Dessie Dolan (Westmeath), Ger Keane (Clare), Declan Browne (Tipperary) and so forth, all of whom played with fairly poor forwards around them for much of their careers and hence, the burden was always on those players to carry the other forwards.

As far as greats go, well the Coopers and Fitzgeralds of this world showcased talents far behind any mortal player on a regular basis, something I've yet to see from Brogan which would even set him apart from Bradley, Dolan, Keane, Browne.

I wouldn't be too critical of the missed oportunities at the end, Brogan has been missing all that he's been scoring all season and the first half verus Wexford, and the Meath and Louth matches highlight this. It was inevitable that he would miss one or two or take the wrong option at some stage to any half-witted follower. He didn't fail to deliver on his past form.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:37 pm

Well done Bernard Gaa Player Of The Year worst kept secret in Dublin..................
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:13 pm

disgrace if johnny doyle doesnt get it
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo
Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:14 pm

whiterbananas wrote:disgrace if johnny doyle doesnt get it

don't you start .. Twisted Evil
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:28 pm

Jaysus everyone knows he only got the All Star to keep the Dubs happy ....

oh and the Vodafone Player of the Year .......

oh and the GPA Player of the Year ....

anything to keep the Dubs happy ..... Rolling Eyes

Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:52 pm

legend in his own lunchbox
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:57 pm

The Puke wrote:legend in his own lunchbox

No - that's Linford Christie ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:11 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
The Puke wrote:legend in his own lunchbox

No - that's Linford Christie ....

What about the Lunchtime Lunchbox
Neil Penderville
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:13 am

THERE have been one or two tentative flags run up poles of late suggesting a return to the time when the National Leagues started pre-Christmas but it is unlikely many players would care to salute.
Just over 30 of football’s top talents are still in Malaysia on the annual All Stars trip at a time when the Arctic has come to Ireland and many of them aren’t nearly done with their travels.
Some have honeymoons and stags to move onto, Cork are pencilled in for a trip to South Africa a few days before the New Year and Dublin are off to Dubai in under a week.
Whatever about peoples’ differing views on the winter training ban, such jaunts offer a welcome opportunity to rest weary bodies and recharge overtaxed minds.
After all, everyone out here who is not from Cork has something to look back on in a footballing sense this year and regret – even a man like Bernard Brogan who ends 2010 as Player of the Year.
The Dublin forward enjoyed one of those years for the ages, providing a lethal spearpoint for a team that had alighted on a system capable of blunting most opposing thrusts.
The question is, how does a man top that? “That just goes with it,” he said. “If you have a good year, next year you’re always man marked or double marked or whatever way a team have a plan to stop you.
“I probably won’t be scoring as highly next year because I just won’t have the space, but there’s a couple of new lads coming in, a couple of nice forwards who are going to get involved next year.
“In Croke Park, whether you’re man-marked or whatever, it’s a hard place to stop a man if he’s enjoying his football so I’ve no worries that if I do the same work next year, I’ll be able to get around the pitch.
“It’s very hard to stop a man in Croke Park.”
In truth, it is difficult to see Dublin progressing into September if they do not unearth some new blood up front – especially if Brogan’s contribution is merely superb as opposed to sensational.
As the saying goes, if you are standing still you are going backwards in this game and the ultra-defensive system that pat Gilroy honed this year needs to be wedded to a more advanced offensive code.
“I think so. There will be something different. Obviously you can’t keep throwing out the same stuff or you’d be wrapped up. There are a few new lads coming into the panel, that there’s been talk of.
“In fairness to Pat, he plays lads on form. He’s done that all last year. You see Alan didn’t play in the first game and I didn’t play for a lot of the league. He plays lads who are playing well. Any panel loves that.”
Brogan felt the brunt of Gilroy’s New Dawn more than most this year with the Dublin manager relegating him to the bench for the league’s early rounds, almost goading him into a response.
He got it.
Previously a “lazy forward” by his own admission, Brogan attempted to add a defensive string to his bow, one seen in Omagh on the last day of the league when his turnaround led to a Dublin goal.
“Pat just put me to the pin of my collar at the start of the year. He wanted more out of me. He wanted me to get more involved. He didn’t want me to stand in the square and kick a few points.
“He wanted me to get into the game, he wanted me to tackle back, he wanted me to work the defenders coming out and just basically work hard.
“The early morning sessions we did, he was always working on me. He was always, let’s say, picking on me. I was kind of his project for the early part of the year and it seemed to work.”
As did Gilroy’s overall plan – or at least it did until the dying minutes of the All-Ireland semi-final against Cork when tiredness and indiscipline opened the door for Cork’s determined comeback.
“Games like that come down to luck and the bounce of a ball and the sideline that went out, It was our ball and they got the call, and they got the goal from it. Incidents like that change games of that nature.
“The way I look on it, we left it behind. It was our game to lose, and we can’t take it away from them, they clawed it back. In 20 other games they wouldn’t have done it.”
Yet another thing to mull over on his travels.

mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:43 pm

Good stuff ... and right about the line ball call ............ Suspect
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:39 am

Copy and Paste, particularly in eulogys, I find nauseating.....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:02 am

Boxtyeater wrote:Copy and Paste, particularly in eulogys, I find nauseating.....

totally agree give me a bucket
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:27 pm

It may be an opportune time to revisit this thread. A quotation from the late (as of today) Con Houlihane is lurking in my mind.
It goes along the lines of "Won ball with ease, hoarded it like a miser and spent it like a prodigal"

Reputation built on skill and confidence, found wanting when the latter deserts him.....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2