GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ger Canning

+9
Joseff
Thomas Clarke
Boxtyeater
patrique
whiterbananas
OMAR
hurlingguru
Jayo Cluxton
The Puke
13 posters

Go down

Ger Canning  Empty Ger Canning

Post  The Puke Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:47 am

When are RTE finally going to bite the bullit and get rid of him, he is an embarressment at this stage, makes so many mistakes it is cruel, adds nothing to a game, apart from irking me......Uses the same stocked phrases the whole time....Surely to god they can get someone else....Marty isn't much better either....It has gone beyond a joke at this stage, I literally lost count of how many mistakes/faux pas canning made yesterday

Listened to the Cork V limerick football qualifier wit Pauric Lodge commentating and thought he was fairly good, Darragh Moloney had potential too.....
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare
Number of posts : 2142

Back to top Go down

Ger Canning  Empty Re: Ger Canning

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:50 am

I actually find M O'M a bit cliched at this stage too... As in journalistic fields everywhere, we are very short on quality.

Where's that Eddie something from Tipp!!!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:53 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:I actually find M O'M a bit cliched at this stage too... As in journalistic fields everywhere, we are very short on quality.

Where's that Eddie something from Tipp!!!

Syl O'Conner who does the commentary for Clare FM is as good as there is in the country at the moment, great man to call a game and always has his research done, he would remind you of a younger version of M O'M....Setanta were trying to get him on board a while back but turned it down as he is the PRO for the Clare County Board.....

The lad tv 3 had doing commentary was also fairly *****, wasn't helped by the fact he had Nicky English beside him, two of them came across as awfully droll
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  hurlingguru Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:19 am

I cant stand Kevin McStay. I feel he is biased towards some counties.

hurlingguru
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Carlow
Number of posts : 1133

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:22 am

The Puke wrote:When are RTE finally going to bite the bullit and get rid of him, he is an embarressment at this stage, makes so many mistakes it is cruel, adds nothing to a game, apart from irking me......Uses the same stocked phrases the whole time....Surely to god they can get someone else....Marty isn't much better either....It has gone beyond a joke at this stage, I literally lost count of how many mistakes/faux pas canning made yesterday

Listened to the Cork V limerick football qualifier wit Pauric Lodge commentating and thought he was fairly good, Darragh Moloney had potential too.....

Sunday was poor alright
"Richie Hogan" - Henrys replacement as freetaker scoring 1-8 and his perception that Cork improved in the second half rather than Kilkenny easing off were two of the bigger clangers
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  whiterbananas Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:15 pm

Still love M O'M. He makes every game sound so exciting. Miles ahead of the tv boys
whiterbananas
whiterbananas
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

mayo
Number of posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:31 pm

Goulding and Sheehan mixed up on a number of occasions
Red numbers on white shirt isn't the hardest
Downs - second point I think had a man open in front of goal - not worthy of a mention
And most shocking of all - did he seriously seriously think that Benny coulter got a yellow card for overcarrying ?
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:52 pm

I watched BBC.

At least Sidebottom and Canavan know something as they both agreed with me that Goulding was awful.

Bar the free taking.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:24 pm

patrique wrote:I watched BBC.

At least Sidebottom and Canavan know something as they both agreed with me that Goulding was awful.

Bar the free taking.

Well it's a matter of opinion really Paddy. By your own yardstick, you're the one advocating the carrying of a free-taker and to this end he proved his worth...
MOTM for me at any rate.....Flawless performance....0-09 proves it..
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:36 pm

Bar the free taking.

I too watched the BBC. I usually do, as the commentary is much better than RTE, and McHugh, arrogant and charmless though he is, is a better analyst than anything that Michael Lyster has to chat to on Sundays.

Having said that Pat, I didn't hear Canavan & Sidebottom criticising Goulding. In fact, Peter constantly praised him, and encouraged Cork to send the ball into him quicker.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:32 pm

As he did in the Cork-Kilkenny hurling game - and almost at the same time - Ger wondered loudly why Cork didn't play like this earlier .... Rolling Eyes
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:29 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:

Bar the free taking.

I too watched the BBC. I usually do, as the commentary is much better than RTE, and McHugh, arrogant and charmless though he is, is a better analyst than anything that Michael Lyster has to chat to on Sundays.

Having said that Pat, I didn't hear Canavan & Sidebottom criticising Goulding. In fact, Peter constantly praised him, and encouraged Cork to send the ball into him quicker.

Get your hearing checked. Send it in quickly to O'Connor.......... Surprised Surprised
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:31 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:

Bar the free taking.

Well it's a matter of opinion really Paddy. By your own yardstick, you're the one advocating the carrying of a free-taker and to this end he proved his worth...
MOTM for me at any rate.....Flawless performance....0-09 proves it..

Yes I advocate the free taker.

But is Paddy cunningham likely to be footballer of the year any time soon?

I might vote for the lad winning the frees.

patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Joseff Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:47 pm

Ger Canning is to commentary, what the AID's disease is to mankind.

Yours In Sport,
Joseff
Joseff
Joseff
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Louth
Number of posts : 140

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:55 pm

Joseff wrote:Ger Canning is to commentary, what the AID's disease is to mankind.

Yours In Sport,
Joseff

Gods wrath?
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Joseff Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:01 pm

mossbags wrote:
Joseff wrote:Ger Canning is to commentary, what the AID's disease is to mankind.

Yours In Sport,
Joseff

Gods wrath?

Take from it what you like mossbags.

But holy god Ger is cat !
They should leave him at presenting Gray-hound racing coverage.
Little knowlegde of the GAA and a terrible voice to listen to.
Ger has a way with words, like a touretts sufferer.

Then again Marty is a disaster aswell. Rumour has it, only for his good looks RTE would have his p45 in the post long ago.

Anyone got a phone number for Ryle Nugent?

Yours In Sport,
Joseff
Joseff
Joseff
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Louth
Number of posts : 140

Back to top Go down

Post  Real Kerry Fan Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:48 pm

I find most TV commentators poor. They are supposed to tell us what is happening,who has the ball etc. not what in their opinion should be. Find it hart to think of any good one. Who is this Nugent fellow?. Which local radio station?
Real Kerry Fan
Real Kerry Fan
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Kerry
Number of posts : 1396

Back to top Go down

Post  3inarow08 Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:14 pm

Real Kerry Fan wrote:I find most TV commentators poor. They are supposed to tell us what is happening,who has the ball etc. not what in their opinion should be. Find it hart to think of any good one. Who is this Nugent fellow?. Which local radio station?

RKF with yet another cut at rugby! Razz

You should watch it the odd time, you'd be surprised at some of the good things in the game (respect for refereea and officials, video ref for debateable scores, tough manly hits etc).
3inarow08
3inarow08
GAA Senior
GAA Senior

Kerry
Number of posts : 793

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:28 pm

3inarow08 wrote:
Real Kerry Fan wrote:I find most TV commentators poor. They are supposed to tell us what is happening,who has the ball etc. not what in their opinion should be. Find it hart to think of any good one. Who is this Nugent fellow?. Which local radio station?

RKF with yet another cut at rugby! Razz

You should watch it the odd time, you'd be surprised at some of the good things in the game (respect for refereea and officials, video ref for debateable scores, tough manly hits etc).

Michael Corcoran on Radio 1 for teh rugby is my favourite. When he's describing an Irish game going well it would make the hairs stand up on the back of your head. Brilliant.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:01 am

Canning used to be great as at least he was neutral which made a change from soccer commentators.

They told you what they assumed you wanted to hear, England great, germany useless and that type of stuff.

Canning used to let you know what was happening.

Maybe he is getting old.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  The Puke Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:23 pm

Having the misfortune of listening to Ger commentate for RTE radio on the league final....

The man just names the man in possesion and that is that, doesn't try and describe the play or scores.....pure jinnet of a man
The Puke
The Puke
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Clare

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down