GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CFC Galway v Sligo ( FAO Black and White)

+8
Dr.Shephard
Grenvile
RMDrive
clash-of-da-ash
Boxtyeater
Jayo Cluxton
black&white
mossbags
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

CFC Galway v Sligo ( FAO Black and White) Empty CFC Galway v Sligo ( FAO Black and White)

Post  mossbags Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:07 am

Your boys are the team of the moment, Connacht champions 3 years ago, unlucky not to have beaten All-Ireland champs Kerry in the qualifiers last year, promoted the last 2 years, put the knife into Div 1 league Finalists Mayo only 3 weeks ago, have the best young manager in the game at the moment, no question.

I hope ye take it easy on our lads in Pearse, Sunday week.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

CFC Galway v Sligo ( FAO Black and White) Empty Re: CFC Galway v Sligo ( FAO Black and White)

Post  black&white Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:33 am

mossbags wrote:Your boys are the team of the moment, Connacht champions 3 years ago, unlucky not to have beaten All-Ireland champs Kerry in the qualifiers last year, promoted the last 2 years, put the knife into Div 1 league Finalists Mayo only 3 weeks ago, have the best young manager in the game at the moment, no question.

I hope ye take it easy on our lads in Pearse, Sunday week.

If ever was the case of building us up for the fall!

Can't disagree with any of the above specifically, the only problem is that I've become highly wary of proclaiming a Sligo team great based on too many false dawns in the past. We've a great habit of crashing spectacularly back down to Earth after a big win, although this is where we hope Walsh will come in, and bring a bit more consistency to the team. He certainly has added a lot of mental strength to the team, as evidenced by the two league campaigns.
Last year's game with Kerry also is a cause for hope. Kerry put on a bit of a lead early on, and any other Sligo team in the past would have fallen away rapidly against a "traditional" county.

From the Mayo match there are still some worries about certain positions on this Sligo team, which were mainly glossed over by Mayo's lack of a plan B. Full back and centre back remain areas of serious concern, with midfield and full-forward less so.
McGuire (full back) was taken to the cleaners by Freeman, beaten both in the air and out in front, and was only saved by O'Hara dropping back to help. Noel's been a great servant to Sligo football over the last decade, but I can't help but feel that his best days are behind him, and that Meehan (if fit) or even Armstrong will be capable of getting even better return off of him than Freeman did.
Centre back has been the weak link for Sligo for the past few years. Brendan Phillips played there against Mayo, and he's been past it for a few years now. Only for Seamus O'Shea forgetting that there was a match going on, he would have been badly exposed. Mark Quinn should regain the no. 6 jersey for the Galway game (fitness permitting). He's had a solid league campaign, but it will be his Championship debut and having seen what lads playing for our club have done to him on occasion, Joyce could massacre the lad if he's in the mood.
In midfield, I'd still have serious worries about Tony Taylor. I played with him up through underage ranks, and I haven't seen anything in him since then to suggest that he's improved significantly. When in the mood, he's an exceptional fielder of a ball, but he offers far too little elsewhere in play. He never appears comfortable carrying the ball, and his passing and shooting whilst on the move can be quite erratic (although if he gets a chance to shoot from standing still, I'd fancy him to pop it over). TBH, he's quite like our former servant Paul Durkin - great to win ball, but you need to have somebody there to take it off him straight away!
Kenneth Sweeney at full forward is a choice that still continues to baffle me, he's the Emile Heskey of Sligo football. Full of hard work and running, but utterly incapable of doing anything with the ball. He's got good pace, and is a very good ball carrier. He just doesn't know when to stop carrying the ball, and will lose it in contact a lot of the time. The other times (when he tries to shoot) the ball is liable to go anywhere, it could go over the bar, or it could go into the stand. He's not an intercounty standard full forward, and he's lucky to be in the panel, never mind the 15.

That all said, if we produce, for 70 minutes, the sort of performance we did in the second half against Mayo, then I reckon it's ours to lose. But I think that's a big if.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

CFC Galway v Sligo ( FAO Black and White) Empty Re: CFC Galway v Sligo ( FAO Black and White)

Post  mossbags Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:46 pm

Sligo are going well, its undeniable. They would have destroyed any of the teams playing last weekend. How they cope with the added pressure thats on them now will go a long way to determaining the shape of the game in Salthill. They have the right man in the hot seat though to keep them focused on the job.
Did you see the piece on Eamonn O Hara in the Sindo there on Sunday B&W. Made him out to be fairly in love with himself and a bit above the rest of the team.

For Galway,Kernan will be happy enough with how things are coming along. All the talk is about Sligo and a long gap since a satisfactory league campaign has given plenty of time to the likes of Meehan and Bradshaw to recover from injury. These two are pivotal to Galways chances this year and without them I believe Sligo would probably win in Pearse but I have it on good authority that both are in tip-top shape heading into the game. Armstrong is another whose gotten his annual injury out of the way nice and early and the likes of him producing this year will be the difference between Galway having a go, or making a go of it this year. Eoin Concannon might get the nod for this one as well and though it will be a big step up for him, he has the natural flair and class about him to succeed at this level. Word of warning to ye'z, PJ has been in scintillating form in challenge games we've been winning handily enough, albeit against the likes of Offaly and Louth.
Midfied, as ever in recent times, is the achilles heal of the Galway setup but there were signs of improvement in this sector as the league progressed. Either or both Bergin and Conway may yet start here but they are both more natural Half Forwards.Niall Coleman has been going well enough this year and has claims here too. Big Barry Cullinane was finally axed from the squad last week. Nice guy is Barry but a useless footballer.

Alan Burke is fully fit and back playing, one of the best corner backs in the land and not to be confused with Damien Burke who played there during the league and was always good for at least 3 or 4 points for the opposing team. Alan as you probably know B&W, is just the type to snuff the life out of the likes of David Kelly. Fitzy will start in the other corner and Hanley probably in the middle although if Finian has put in a solid 70 minutes in the county jersey this year I must have missed it. Needs to dominate that Fullback role like he is capable of doing.
Bradshaw might start at wing back or center back depending on Kernans current level of faith in Blake who's been carrying a knock with Gary Sice on the other wing. Sice is on his game this year and is one Sligo would want to keep a close eye on if they want to make the Connacht Final, Joe might even star him at wing forward as he's a fluent point taker. Deccie Meehans been playing well this year and will definitly feature v Sligo while the likes of Darren Mullaghy and Conor Healy are other contenders for the starting berth.

This has all the makings of the game of the championship and the focus in Galway this year is all about the hurlers and this, along with all the talk about the mighty Sligo, will suit Big Joe and the boys right down to a TCFC Galway v Sligo ( FAO Black and White) Wink
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:52 pm

mossbags wrote:
Did you see the piece on Eamonn O Hara in the Sindo there on Sunday B&W. Made him out to be fairly in love with himself and a bit above the rest of the team.

Saw it. Think you summed him up fairly well there. Big-headed beyond belief, always has been.

O'Hara is one of those players that everyone loves when he's wearing the county jersey, but most can't stand him off the pitch (or when he's playing for Tourlestrane).
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:56 pm

black&white wrote:
mossbags wrote:

Saw it. Think you summed him up fairly well there. Big-headed beyond belief, always has been.

O'Hara is one of those players that everyone loves when he's wearing the county jersey, but most can't stand him off the pitch (or when he's playing for Tourlestrane).

Yeah but little counties need big personalities if they are to prosperCFC Galway v Sligo ( FAO Black and White) Biggrin

I hear Lennie Cohen is a Sligo fan too these days. Maybe he'll give the dressing room a rousing rendition of one of his famously upbeat ditties to get them in the mood
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:58 pm

mossbags wrote:
black&white wrote:
mossbags wrote:

Yeah but little counties need big personalities if they are to prosperCFC Galway v Sligo ( FAO Black and White) Biggrin

I hear Lennie Cohen is a Sligo fan too these days. Maybe he'll give the dressing room a rousing rendition of one of his famously upbeat ditties to get them in the mood

True, but there's not too much room for the big heads!
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:58 pm

Really looking forward to seeing Galway again. Championship doesn't really start (forget NY) till the Western maestros strut their stuff. Get your vuvuzuelas out - here come the aristocarts.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:00 pm

No, ye need the big heads too, every county does. Take O Hara out of Sligo the last decade and that would be one empty enough looking team
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:01 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Really looking forward to seeing Galway again. Championship doesn't really start (forget NY) till the Western maestros strut their stuff. Get your vuvuzuelas out - here come the aristocarts.

CFC Galway v Sligo ( FAO Black and White) ApploudCFC Galway v Sligo ( FAO Black and White) Apploud
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:23 am

mossbags wrote:Sligo are going well, its undeniable. They would have destroyed any of the teams playing last weekend. How they cope with the added pressure thats on them now will go a long way to determaining the shape of the game in Salthill. They have the right man in the hot seat though to keep them focused on the job.

For Galway,Kernan will be happy enough with how things are coming along. All the talk is about Sligo and a long gap since a satisfactory league campaign has given plenty of time to the likes of Meehan and Bradshaw to recover from injury. These two are pivotal to Galways chances this year and without them I believe Sligo would probably win in Pearse but I have it on good authority that both are in tip-top shape heading into the game. Armstrong is another whose gotten his annual injury out of the way nice and early and the likes of him producing this year will be the difference between Galway having a go, or making a go of it this year. Eoin Concannon might get the nod for this one as well and though it will be a big step up for him, he has the natural flair and class about him to succeed at this level. Word of warning to ye'z, PJ has been in scintillating form in challenge games we've been winning handily enough, albeit against the likes of Offaly and Louth.
Midfied, as ever in recent times, is the achilles heal of the Galway setup but there were signs of improvement in this sector as the league progressed. Either or both Bergin and Conway may yet start here but they are both more natural Half Forwards.Niall Coleman has been going well enough this year and has claims here too. Big Barry Cullinane was finally axed from the squad last week. Nice guy is Barry but a useless footballer.

Alan Burke is fully fit and back playing, one of the best corner backs in the land and not to be confused with Damien Burke who played there during the league and was always good for at least 3 or 4 points for the opposing team. Alan as you probably know B&W, is just the type to snuff the life out of the likes of David Kelly. Fitzy will start in the other corner and Hanley probably in the middle although if Finian has put in a solid 70 minutes in the county jersey this year I must have missed it. Needs to dominate that Fullback role like he is capable of doing.
Bradshaw might start at wing back or center back depending on Kernans current level of faith in Blake who's been carrying a knock with Gary Sice on the other wing. Sice is on his game this year and is one Sligo would want to keep a close eye on if they want to make the Connacht Final, Joe might even star him at wing forward as he's a fluent point taker. Deccie Meehans been playing well this year and will definitly feature v Sligo while the likes of Darren Mullaghy and Conor Healy are other contenders for the starting berth.

This has all the makings of the game of the championship and the focus in Galway this year is all about the hurlers and this, along with all the talk about the mighty Sligo, will suit Big Joe and the boys right down to a TCFC Galway v Sligo ( FAO Black and White) Wink

Could you bullet point this for me please. I got tired after the first paragraph.....The main 4 or 5 items...Thanks...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:51 am

No probs Boxty what with you being a senior and all

Bullet points

*Sligo are good
*Galway are better
*Leinster football is schite

That about covers it, your welcome xoxo
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:51 pm

They might as well just present the Nestor Cup after this game and be done with it. From what I saw of Roscommon yesterday they'd look more at home in Leinster footballing circles.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Yeah a bit like the Offaly hurlers. I'd book the holliers for Sept moss - cos you will have no business in Croker then - for either code. No more than I will.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:43 pm

I see your enjoying the hurling result there yesterday Jayo, great to engage de dubs in the game somehow
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:46 pm

What is the throw in time for this?
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:49 pm

mossbags wrote:What is the throw in time for this?

2pm. Just enough time to get the fry in after a good night in the Front Door.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:14 pm

With Tipperary regressing it now appears that Kilkenny are even further ahead of the chasing pack. At least 10 points I reckon. The only team that may make them break sweat is Cork - purely down to tradition - and will not hang on to them. 5 in a row - well done Kilkenny - remarkable achievement.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:36 pm

1 Adrian Faherty
2 Kieran Fitzgerald
3 Finian Hanley
4 Alan Burke
5 Gareth Bradshaw
6 Diarmuid Blake
7 Gary ODonnell
8 Paul Conroy
9 Niall Coleman
10 Garry Sice
11 Sean Armstrong
12 Joe Bergin (Captain)
13 Eoin Concannon
14 Padriac Joyce
15 Matthew Clancy
Subs 16 Eoin Conghaile, 17 Donal ONeill, 18 David
Reilly, 19 Conor Healy, 20 Fiachra Breathnach, 21 Darren Mullahy, 22
Declan Meehan, 23 Michael Meehan, 24 Danny Cummins, 25 Thomas Fahy, 26
Cormac Bane, 27 Cillin de Paor, 28 Michael Martin, 29 Damien Burke, 30
Nicky Joyce

Gary O Donnell is a bit of a surprise. I'd have gone with Bane and left Sice back at half back, otherwise more or less as expected with Nicky Joyce having gotten injured. Micheal Meehan is raring to go, could have started handy enough but maybe Big Joe doesn't want to take any risks at this point. If there was no back door you can be sure MM would be lining out. Mattie will likely operate as a 3rd midfielder so PJ and young Concannon will be an interesting forward line although Sean Armstrong might end up in there and Meehan certainly will when he comes on.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:39 pm

Not at all confident going into this one, Sligo's to lose I reckon.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:40 pm

clash-of-da-ash wrote:Not at all confident going into this one, Sligo's to lose I reckon.

Sligo will be hard bet in Salthill this Sunday
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:41 pm

C'mon the All Blacks!!!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:41 pm

I can't wait to hear the bandwagon start up again if Galway manage to beat Sligo. Perennially tipped as AI contenders .... still patting themselves on the back for getting beat by Kerry in the rain ... still a long way off being a good team ... CFC Galway v Sligo ( FAO Black and White) Icon_rolleyes
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:46 pm

mossbags wrote:
clash-of-da-ash wrote:Not at all confident going into this one, Sligo's to lose I reckon.

The underdogs tag might suit Galway better but I'm not too condfident. They said if Big Joe didn't win Connacht that he is gone, what do you reckon?
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:54 pm

clash-of-da-ash wrote:
mossbags wrote:

The underdogs tag might suit Galway better but I'm not too condfident. They said if Big Joe didn't win Connacht that he is gone, what do you reckon?

Doubt it. He'll be there next year no matter what happens I reckon. Kevin Walsh made the point that Galway slipped nicely under the radar and he's right. Im sure you've noticed yourself Clash that there's been no one going on about the footballers, what with the novel situation of the hurlers already having played two championship games everyone seems to have forgotten about the bigball.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:54 pm

Sligo Senior Team V Galway
1 Philip Greene
2 Charlie Harrison
3 Noel McGuire
4 Ross Donovan
5 Keelan Cawley
6 Brendan Phillips
7 Johnny Davey
8 Tony Taylor
9 Stephen Gilmartin
10 Alan Costello
11 Mark Breheny
12 Kenneth Sweeney
13 Colm McGee
14 Eamonn O'Hara
15 David Kelly

No changes in personnel from Mayo game, but a few positional switches. Expect to see O'Hara pulled back out to leave 2 men inside
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next