GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dublin footballers - should i be worried

4 posters

Go down

dublin footballers - should i be worried Empty dublin footballers - should i be worried

Post  lino_de_legend Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:21 pm

Am i the only dub thats worried about the state of the dublin footballers throughout this league campaign. Last weekend we shockingly bad ( mayo wern't much better either). We had a chance to put it away in the first half and kicked 12 wides, and they wern't just narrow wides, they're about 2 miles wide. marking at back in second half was woeful, even though the first half was good. Same goes for the derry game, the second half a diaster. As the league goes on we seem to be getting worse. I know we're missing the crokes lads, and they should be back for the kerry game but will they make that much of a difference. Vaughan played brillantly for crokes, but i cant see him doing the same for the dubs. I dont know, i know its only March but we're creeping ever so closer to the meath game, and im sorry, but if we keep playing the way we have been well its probably bye bye lenster, hello quilifiers.

Also i heard a rumor. Now this is going to sound redidculas but it came from a fella thats a dubs fanatic, follows them everywhere and is probably just short of being a stalker, but he said that the dublin lads arn't training. that they're gonna surprize everyone come the summer.My da believes him, i'm less guillible. do ya think theres any truth. they're current form might suggest so.
lino_de_legend
lino_de_legend
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 194

Back to top Go down

dublin footballers - should i be worried Empty Re: dublin footballers - should i be worried

Post  holymoly Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:44 pm

Lino, I too don't hold much hope for our chances this year. We certainly don't seem to be getting any better. The form that we showed in the second half against Tyrone in the first game of the league seems like a distant memory now. Watching them for the Derry and Mayo games would just depress you more than anything.

One thing that really worries me is this constant lack of trying to work the ball up the field. We get as far as the half back or midfield, panic, and just kick the ball aimlessly up to the full forward line. I lost count of the amount of times we did this against Mayo on Sunday.

Unless Gilroy fancies himself pulling off a stroke like Paul Newman in the Sting, I really don't see anything there that will be causing Kerry or Tyrone any sleepless nights. At this stage I wouldn't even be surprised if some rubbish team like Meath managed to get a result against us!!
holymoly
holymoly
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Dublin
Number of posts : 13

Back to top Go down

dublin footballers - should i be worried Empty Re: dublin footballers - should i be worried

Post  lino_de_legend Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:58 pm

holymoly wrote:Lino, I too don't hold much hope for our chances this year. We certainly don't seem to be getting any better. The form that we showed in the second half against Tyrone in the first game of the league seems like a distant memory now. Watching them for the Derry and Mayo games would just depress you more than anything.

One thing that really worries me is this constant lack of trying to work the ball up the field. We get as far as the half back or midfield, panic, and just kick the ball aimlessly up to the full forward line. I lost count of the amount of times we did this against Mayo on Sunday.

Unless Gilroy fancies himself pulling off a stroke like Paul Newman in the Sting, I really don't see anything there that will be causing Kerry or Tyrone any sleepless nights. At this stage I wouldn't even be surprised if some rubbish team like Meath managed to get a result against us!!

what really annoyed the other day was that once someone got the ball they kicked , or tried to kick it, to bernard b. AND HE WAS PLAYING CRAP! why not try passing into keaney or that new fella blaine.As for lally, well god loves a tryer, i dont! and the amount of kickouts won in the first half by whelo , in the end nothing to show for it. Im glad connelly had played well. couldn't imagine the scoreline without him
lino_de_legend
lino_de_legend
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:42 pm

lads look on the bright side - the all ireland champions are playing every bit as bad as the dubs and we are not panicking yet. Cool
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  holymoly Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:47 pm

Thats another thing, why is he still reverting back to the likes of Lally and Bonner. Those lads will never make the grade. I don't know how many times these lads have been given a chance to prove themselves in the last 4 or 5 years but it certainly hasn't amounted to much. McConnell certainly won't be starting at midfield with the way he's been hot and cold all league long (more cold than hot). His passing was dreadful and seemed intent on just running into Mayo defenders.

There is definitely no game plan there for how to move the ball out of defence. Think of the way that the team of the early 90s were able to move the ball out of defence with such fluidity. There was one point where Alan Hubbard caught a great ball in the air, out jumping Conor Mortimor to do it (impressive considering he's probably a little bit smaller than Mortimor). He then tried to come out with the ball but no one was making any movement for him nor looking to take the pass.

Wonder was Gilroy seriously thinking about playing Whelan at full forward when he put him there for the last 5 minutes of the first half or maybe it was just something he always wanted to try just to see what would happen
holymoly
holymoly
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Dublin
Number of posts : 13

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:18 pm

Usually(my apologies to the dublin fans) I'm always comlaining about the dubs. However, this is the NFL, and dublin, mayo ,tyrone etc. dont have the motivation really to play at championship level. The reason that many teams dont excel in the NFL is the fact that they dongt value it as much as the championship. For example, you'd study for the junior cert, but you'd study a hell of alot more for the leaving cert because you know that that's the main, most important one. Mayo are not playing their best in the NFL, but I have every faith that they will improve and up the ante come championship time. The same with Dublin. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:21 pm

Look at the positive side. At least you can say you were knocked out of Leinster by the All-Ireland Champions.

Back to top Go down

Post  lino_de_legend Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:47 pm

"Thats another thing, why is he still reverting back to the likes of Lally and Bonner. Those lads will never make the grade. I don't know how many times these lads have been given a chance to prove themselves in the last 4 or 5 years but it certainly hasn't amounted to much"

it could have been worse holy........

he could have played casey affraid

that would have been the icing on the cake for me
lino_de_legend
lino_de_legend
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliste Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:56 pm

What did you think of todays game?

It was promising - they held their heads even after letting the goal in, to be honest it looks like there is some young talent. Connolly was pointing nearly everything. The defense looked solid, managing to push the Kerry forwards out on a few occasions.
Cliste
Cliste
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Baile Átha Cliath
Number of posts : 110

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down