GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can anyone stop Dublin in Leinster?

4 posters

Go down

Can anyone stop Dublin in Leinster? Empty Can anyone stop Dublin in Leinster?

Post  GAAGenious Wed May 19, 2010 10:53 pm

Im the most optomistic of Laois supporter but I wonder whats the point in beating Meath or Offaly only persumably to play Dublin in a semi and more than likey find myself at the end of another 17 point trumping ruinning the full confidence of the team and end up being knocked out of the championship by a team like roscommon in the qualifiers. I think every team is the same though, Kildare will probably come closest but in the mean time dublin would of hammered Wexford and would of played the best of the rest so to speak in Ofally, Meath Loais and will more than likely beat them all handsomly. by the time Kildare get there hands on them( micko may beg to differ ) Dublin will be ridding high and should over come the lillywhites and if its the Garden men in the final it could be a masacer, Maybe someone else may fell different but unless Dublin throw the Leinster championship its going to be another run of the mill year for the dubs in the east. Can anyone stop Dublin in Leinster? Icon_redface
GAAGenious
GAAGenious
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Laois / Mayo
Number of posts : 165

Back to top Go down

Can anyone stop Dublin in Leinster? Empty Re: Can anyone stop Dublin in Leinster?

Post  mullins Wed May 19, 2010 10:58 pm

GAAGenious wrote:Im the most optomistic of Laois supporter but I wonder whats the point in beating Meath or Offaly only persumably to play Dublin in a semi and more than likey find myself at the end of another 17 point trumping ruinning the full confidence of the team and end up being knocked out of the championship by a team like roscommon in the qualifiers. I think every team is the same though, Kildare will probably come closest but in the mean time dublin would of hammered Wexford and would of played the best of the rest so to speak in Ofally, Meath Loais and will more than likely beat them all handsomly. by the time Kildare get there hands on them( micko may beg to differ ) Dublin will be ridding high and should over come the lillywhites and if its the Garden men in the final it could be a masacer, Maybe someone else may fell different but unless Dublin throw the Leinster championship its going to be another run of the mill year for the dubs in the east. Can anyone stop Dublin in Leinster? Icon_redface

The way giller is carrying on at the moment the doubts are starting to set in...Im sure the other counties can sniff the blood..... Can anyone stop Dublin in Leinster? Icon_pale
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Can anyone stop Dublin in Leinster? Empty Re: Can anyone stop Dublin in Leinster?

Post  GAAGenious Wed May 19, 2010 11:02 pm

mullins wrote:[The way giller is carrying on at the moment the doubts are starting to set in...Im sure the other counties can sniff the blood..... Can anyone stop Dublin in Leinster? Icon_pale

Ah its a load of cods wallop in dublin they dont know what there doing but they seem to be able to pull it out of the bag, cant see the players getting to upset over the managerial issues
GAAGenious
GAAGenious
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Laois / Mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed May 19, 2010 11:04 pm

Yeah GG - I know what you are getting at. I have never believed that winning Leinster is an impediment to Dublin and I hope they go for the 6 with full commitment - and I think they will. Also agree that Wicklow would not handle the occasion. I thought Kildare would take us last year - they didn't and there is nothing there to suggest that they will be tougher this year tbh.

My only gripe at amassing Leinsters is the fact that you get no back door!

ps If we knew what we were doing we might have at least made an All Ireland final!! Can anyone stop Dublin in Leinster? Icon_razz
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed May 19, 2010 11:05 pm

GAAGenious wrote:
mullins wrote:[The way giller is carrying on at the moment the doubts are starting to set in...Im sure the other counties can sniff the blood..... Can anyone stop Dublin in Leinster? Icon_pale

Ah its a load of cods wallop in dublin they dont know what there doing but they seem to be able to pull it out of the bag, cant see the players getting to upset over the managerial issues

Didn't pull it out of the bag in 03 when tommy lyons was acting the bo**ox.. Can anyone stop Dublin in Leinster? Icon_rolleyes
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  GAAGenious Wed May 19, 2010 11:08 pm

mullins wrote: [Didn't pull it out of the bag in 03 when tommy lyons was acting the bo**ox..[ Can anyone stop Dublin in Leinster? Icon_rolleyes

That my friend was a quality Laois team Can anyone stop Dublin in Leinster? Icon_lol
GAAGenious
GAAGenious
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Laois / Mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  GAAGenious Wed May 19, 2010 11:10 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Yeah GG - I know what you are getting at. I have never believed that winning Leinster is an impediment to Dublin and I hope they go for the 6 with full commitment - and I think they will. Also agree that Wicklow would not handle the occasion. I thought Kildare would take us last year - they didn't and there is nothing there to suggest that they will be tougher this year tbh.

My only gripe at amassing Leinsters is the fact that you get no back door!

ps If we knew what we were doing we might have at least made an All Ireland final!! Can anyone stop Dublin in Leinster? Icon_razz

See jayo youse would of made the 5 finals if there was no media, dublin believe there own hype every year, Mayo in 05 adn Kerry last year Armagh tyrone have all caught yee out on the hop
GAAGenious
GAAGenious
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Laois / Mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed May 19, 2010 11:18 pm

Nah GG - don't agree. I don't think the players buy the hype. The genuine fan doesn't either. Lyons was a hype merchant but Pillar and Giller aren't. The Mayo semi was definitely left behind - and mostly on the line. In 2008 we met a Tyrone team that played awesomely well on the night - we lost Alan B early too. Last year we ran into a Kerry juggernaut that had been playing like drains up to that. Gooch goaled within a minute - and they built on that.

But as I say - leaving the Herald aside - the genuine fan knows the shortcomings. But Tyrone in 08 and Kerry in 09 would have walloped anybody on their performances. Despite the slagging we get about playing every game 'at home' - it can really motivate good teams and they can just get in 'the zone' - maybe Portlaoise or Tullamore for a QF would be better for us!!!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  GAAGenious Wed May 19, 2010 11:28 pm

[quote="Jayo Cluxton"][Nah GG - don't agree. I don't think the players buy the hype. The genuine fan doesn't either. Lyons was a hype merchant but Pillar and Giller aren't. The Mayo semi was definitely left behind -]

Im a mayo man 2nd Laois First I was at Croke Park that great day in 2005, sun splitting the stones, we came to croker being ripped in the papers and how dublin will overcome a POOR mayo team. That year Mayo and Laois played 2 quarter finals against each other and mayo were pure ***** in both jus laois were worse. The reason Dublin lost that was firstly they lost there cool at the start and acted like a pack of scumbags Can anyone stop Dublin in Leinster? Icon_cry secondly dublin 7 points up and then they let the game go because they believed there own hype at that stage, Gilroy isnt the manager of that dublin team we all know its mickey whelan and kevin heffernan is in there someplace 'giller' is just a face. piller was a thug, but that has nothing to do with the fact i think dublin once they get out of leinster are built up so much they cant loose in there own minds. in the end they flop, In leinster its a different sstory for some reason questions have to be asked?? maybe an outside manager is the way forward.
GAAGenious
GAAGenious
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Laois / Mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Wed May 19, 2010 11:32 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote: But as I say - leaving the Herald aside - the genuine fan knows the shortcomings. But Tyrone in 08 and Kerry in 09 would have walloped anybody on their performances.

Disagree. I think it is the very fact that because it is Dublin that the team were hammered. Every team would relish the chance to play against Dublin. Kerry never really stamped their mark on last season and when they got the chance to unveil their trueselves, who better to do it against that Dublin. Same for Tyrone in 2008. They didnt do particularly well and then came up against Dublin and did the same as what Kerry did last year.

I remember it clearly, a vast amount of Dublin fans thought they had the better of Kerry and they were scorned severely. If anything, Dublin shouldnt put in big performances, they shouldnt set out their stall so to speak in the Leinster championship. They need to lay in the grass and then pounce on any of the big teams that come their way.

How can you possibly prepare for a team like Kerry last year, they had their strengths hidden from all the other counties and gave the illusion that the Kerry team of 09 was fractured.

Kerry and Tyrone knew that they had to up their game against a Dublin team with momentum. But teams to try harder when they play against Dublin. Funny thing is, is that people are beginning to believe it this year too.

Last edited by GAA-Fan on Wed May 19, 2010 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed May 19, 2010 11:37 pm

Nah GG - again can't agree with that. I vividly remember the Mayo game (06 not 05 ???) Alan Brogan closed in on goal and took a point to put us 7 up - the bro looked at me smiling and said 'we could regret that' - little did we know!

Media s***e - and there is a lot of it - will have you believe all sorts. The stuff with Pillar at the start was juvenile and unnecessary - but had nothing to do with the end result. Dublin cruised ... made some daft substitutions and then panicked ... some of the cooler Mayo heads sensed blood and went for it - fair play to them - especially McD. It had nothing to do with the stuff at the start at all - just a few experienced Mayo lads reading the situation and seizing the moment - ably abetted by atrocious calls from a Dublin sideline bereft of ideas and the nous to do whats right in the white heat of battle.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  GAAGenious Wed May 19, 2010 11:39 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:
[Kerry and Tyrone knew that they had to up their game against a Dublin team with momentum. But teams to try harder when they play against Dublin.

Teams want to beat Dublin because they pack in 55 thousand fans riddle the hill. Teams want to beat dublin because they are built up as if they are untouchable, teams want to beat dublin more importantly to reach the next round !!!
GAAGenious
GAAGenious
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Laois / Mayo

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed May 19, 2010 11:43 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote: But as I say - leaving the Herald aside - the genuine fan knows the shortcomings. But Tyrone in 08 and Kerry in 09 would have walloped anybody on their performances.

Disagree. I think it is the very fact that because it is Dublin that the team were hammered. Every team would relish the chance to play against Dublin. Kerry never really stamped their mark on last season and when they got the chance to unveil their trueselves, who better to do it against that Dublin. Same for Tyrone in 2008. They didnt do particularly well and then came up against Dublin and did the same as what Kerry did last year.

I remember it clearly, a vast amount of Dublin fans thought they had the better of Kerry and they were scorned severely. If anything, Dublin shouldnt put in big performances, they shouldnt set out their stall so to speak in the Leinster championship. They need to lay in the grass and then pounce on any of the big teams that come their way.

How can you possibly prepare for a team like Kerry last year, they had their strengths hidden from all the other counties and gave the illusion that the Kerry team of 09 was fractured.

Kerry and Tyrone knew that they had to up their game against a Dublin team with momentum. But teams to try harder when they play against Dublin. Funny thing is, is that people are beginning to believe it this year too.

You are actually making my point here GF. Tyrone and Kerry put in probably the best performances of the year in beating Dublin. Yes probably if they were playing Sligo or Fermanagh that kind of height would not have been reached. This is something the Dublin management are going to have to deal with. Players - good players - are psyched up to the nth degree for a biggie against the Dubs in Croker - Dublin are going to have to match that psychological edge to have any chance. That said Tyrone and Kerry were better teams - but not by the winning margins I think!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Wed May 19, 2010 11:53 pm

Aye, but I dont agree to the point that they would have hammered other counties. GG is right in saying that the players believe their own hype. There is nothing worse than the media when it comes to sport. Sorry to compare Dublin to England, but every world/European cup England go into it thinking that it is there year. Now there is nothing wrong with that, but when Dublin do come up against a team they are screwed because they have proved themselves by hammering everyone in Leinster. The likes of Kerry and Tyrone in their respective years had something to prove.

I know this all too well with Armagh. We win Ulster and we are in the last eight, and then all the hard work that year is pissed up the wall. 2005, Tyrone had something to prove, Armagh didnt. We had already beaten them. Same this year with Down, we were beaten by them but Down player almost certainly would have went into that game thinking they were better.

This is what I have said time and time again about Dublin, they need to let go of Leinster. Its nothing to them, just like Munster is nothing to Kerry. If Dublin get to the final and get beaten, Dublin will have the hurt of it to drive them on and most of all to prove themselves.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed May 19, 2010 11:56 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:Aye, but I dont agree to the point that they would have hammered other counties. GG is right in saying that the players believe their own hype. There is nothing worse than the media when it comes to sport. Sorry to compare Dublin to England, but every world/European cup England go into it thinking that it is there year. Now there is nothing wrong with that, but when Dublin do come up against a team they are screwed because they have proved themselves by hammering everyone in Leinster. The likes of Kerry and Tyrone in their respective years had something to prove.

I know this all too well with Armagh. We win Ulster and we are in the last eight, and then all the hard work that year is pissed up the wall. 2005, Tyrone had something to prove, Armagh didnt. We had already beaten them. Same this year with Down, we were beaten by them but Down player almost certainly would have went into that game thinking they were better.

Its wrong to compare Dublin to engerland

This is what I have said time and time again about Dublin, they need to let go of Leinster. Its nothing to them, just like Munster is nothing to Kerry. If Dublin get to the final and get beaten, Dublin will have the hurt of it to drive them on and most of all to prove themselves.
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down