GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help - anyone remember '48!

+2
patrique
Jayo Cluxton
6 posters

Go down

Help - anyone remember '48! Empty Help - anyone remember '48!

Post  Jayo Cluxton Sun May 09, 2010 12:11 am

Despite what some people may think Tyrone have enjoyed All Ireland football success long before 2003! They won the All Ireland minor title on the double in 1947 and 1948! Jayo's temporary neighbour was 80 last week and played in the '48 Final - for the losing team ...... Dublin - some things never change!

I would love to get a photo of the team - he doesn't have one! I think Dessie Ferguson (father of Terry) was also on the Dublin team. Just wondering if anyone - especially Tyrone lads -can resurrect any info on this game - teams, photo etc. Google is drawing a blank! Thanks.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Help - anyone remember '48! Empty Re: Help - anyone remember '48!

Post  patrique Sun May 09, 2010 3:50 pm

Tyrone: J.McGahern, D.Donnelly, Mal Connolly, E.Know, Louis Campbell, Eddie Devlin, P. O'Hanlon, S. McGrath, H.Hartop, J. O'Reilly, M.Dargan, Barney Eastwood (yes, that one) Leo devlin, JJ O'Hagan, J. Twomey.

S.Donnelly came on as a sub.

DUBLIN: P.King, P.Connolly, K.Lougheed, G.Brogan, W.Fleming, S.Page, P.McGahan, T.Jennings, C.Freaney, B.Conboy, Dessie Ferguson, J.Kelly, P.Ryan, D.Carney, B.Redmond.

SUB: J Guidon.

The one and only Barney Eastwood from Cookstown played that day as Tyrone by 0-11 to 1-5. Tyrone were defending champs having beaten Mayo by 4-4 to 4-3 the year before. Mayo lost the SENIOR final that day in 1948 by 4-5 to 4-4 to Cavan, a bit uncanny.

Eddie Devlin is the big name from that Tyrone team football wise, and I assume that is the great Dessie ferguson, a Co.Down man I believe, on the Dublin team? Played in the 1961 hurling final as well.

In 1949 Armagh won the minor featuring a S.Blaney who owned my local chemist shop in Andersonstown when I was growing up. I only discovered fairly recently that he was Greg Blaney's dad.

The Dubs of course went on to dominate the minor in the 1950s, winning a three in a row, 54-56, and again in 58 and 59. The one that got away in 1957 featured Seamus Mallon from the SDLP playing on a losing Armagh team.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Sun May 09, 2010 3:51 pm

Of course all of the above is straight of the top of my head, I could be wrong.........
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon May 10, 2010 9:06 am

patrique wrote:Of course all of the above is straight of the top of my head, I could be wrong.........

Good stuff P - and the ould neighbour's name is right there ... so he wasn't spoofing anyway!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon May 10, 2010 11:38 am

JC - will check it out to see if i can come up with anything but it is a long shot.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Mon May 10, 2010 1:08 pm

know more about 47 and only a bit more and thats because my own club had a man on the team but patrique seems to know it all off the top of his head - myauld fella may have a few pics i will see what can be resurected from the attic..
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Mon May 10, 2010 10:10 pm

Jayo, I would have pictures of the Tyrone team from that era but unfortunately none at hand of the Dublin team. I'll check it out anyway and see what I can come up with.
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone
Number of posts : 550

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon May 10, 2010 10:43 pm

Cheers lads!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Mon May 10, 2010 10:57 pm

Jc gaa programme collectors should have 1 if not the national papers archives for a small fee...
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Mon May 10, 2010 11:06 pm

The final was played on the 25th of September 1948 that year if that helps with the archives search lads
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon May 10, 2010 11:10 pm

thanks mullins the man actually got the programme a short while back and has it in safe keeping! thanks for the date mugsy - was that the day you woz born??
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Mon May 10, 2010 11:12 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:thanks mullins the man actually got the programme a short while back and has it in safe keeping! thanks for the date mugsy - was that the day you woz born??

And no team photo thats sad...thats the gaa for you Jc- try blazing castles them boys know everything. Help - anyone remember '48! Icon_biggrin
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Mon May 10, 2010 11:13 pm

JC, Mullins - I'm just after reading a very Tyrone biased report of that particular game. Not many Dublin players are mentioned in the report except the Dublin player Dessie ferguson you mentioned earlier, who scored a goal in the latter stages of the game but Tyrone held out to win back to back minor titles Help - anyone remember '48! Icon_biggrin .
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Mon May 10, 2010 11:15 pm

mugsys_barber wrote:JC, Mullins - I'm just after reading a very Tyrone biased report of that particular game. Not many Dublin players are mentioned in the report except the Dublin player Dessie ferguson you mentioned earlier, who scored a goal in the latter stages of the game but Tyrone held out to win back to back minor titles Help - anyone remember '48! Icon_biggrin .

Must of being a good tyrone team- because your latest team couldn't do it Help - anyone remember '48! Icon_biggrin
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon May 10, 2010 11:16 pm

Back to back titles Mugsy!! Better than the seniors so!! Help - anyone remember '48! Icon_razz

ps Before you say anything check 74, 75! Help - anyone remember '48! Icon_lol
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Mon May 10, 2010 11:20 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Today at 11:10 pm

thanks mullins the man actually got the programme a short while back and has it in safe keeping! thanks for the date mugsy - was that the day you woz born??

Na Jayo, but I was born on the date of the Dublin victory over Galway in the All Ireland final of '74 Help - anyone remember '48! Icon_wink
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Mon May 10, 2010 11:25 pm

mugsys_barber wrote:
JC, Mullins - I'm just after reading a very Tyrone biased report of that particular game. Not many Dublin players are mentioned in the report except the Dublin player Dessie ferguson you mentioned earlier, who scored a goal in the latter stages of the game but Tyrone held out to win back to back minor titles Help - anyone remember '48! Icon_biggrin .

Must of being a good tyrone team- because your latest team couldn't do it Help - anyone remember '48! Icon_biggrin

Your correct Mullins as far as Senior and Minor goes but we did put back to back titles at U21 level in 91, 92 and 00, 01.
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon May 10, 2010 11:52 pm

mugsys_barber wrote:JC, Mullins - I'm just after reading a very Tyrone biased report of that particular game. Not many Dublin players are mentioned in the report except the Dublin player Dessie ferguson you mentioned earlier, who scored a goal in the latter stages of the game but Tyrone held out to win back to back minor titles Help - anyone remember '48! Icon_biggrin .

"The Dublin Player Dessie Ferguson". Is this "Snitchy" a veritable legend of the GAA, played in finals in both codes?

Show a bit of respect lads. Can you imagine twenty years from now someone from Dublin posting "the tyrone player P.Canavan"

And he wasn't half as good as Snitchy....at hurling anyway.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue May 11, 2010 12:01 am

True P - mind you his son did go on to win a few Celtic Crosses ....... with Meath! Help - anyone remember '48! Icon_evil
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  mugsys_barber Tue May 11, 2010 12:18 am

Patrique, even you should know that Peter Canavan started out as a hurler for Killyclogher back in the late 80's early 90's. Tut tut.
mugsys_barber
mugsys_barber
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue May 11, 2010 8:44 pm

mugsys_barber wrote:Patrique, even you should know that Peter Canavan started out as a hurler for Killyclogher back in the late 80's early 90's. Tut tut.

I do know that as my old friend from HS "omaghredhand" hurled with Killy.

But Snitchie won a football all Ireland, and lost the 1961 hurling final by a point to Tipp.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:54 am

Not having any luck with this - despite a lot of research by the good folks of the DCB. Could any Tyrone posters who post on their own sites see if anyone can help there? Thanks in advance!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down