GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Psychological trauma .....

5 posters

Go down

Psychological trauma ..... Empty Psychological trauma .....

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:23 pm

As a Dub fan of many years - and an avid reader of posts here - I have developed a huge interest in trauma. I have studied it in an amateur context for quite some time now and have come across an amazing study from the world renowned Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. The study, by two post-graduates, Prof. Ernest Croke and a colleague of his from Korea, Jong Woo Park, has concentrated on the expectations one has from one's life.

They have studied a range of people with varied expectations across a number of situations and monitored the results when these expectations (promotion, personal achievements etc.) were dashed, year on year. They found that the longer the disappointment went on, that rather bizarrely the more the expectation rose the following year. According to them, the increased expectation was usually totally unfounded and was borne more of desperation and a great deal of wishful thinking and blind optimism. At this stage I was thinking he was taking the pee out of the Dublin support! Psychological trauma ..... Icon_evil With the ever increasing levels of failure came huge levels of depression and trauma often resulting in an inability of the 'crushed' to communicate - even in writing or posting on websites - for days and weeks after. I can clearly see that here!!

Anyway my paranoia about their case material was eased when I read the title of their thesis. It was named in recognition of the clinic and the two medicos - thus the rather intersting title of ........ Mayo Croke Park Syndrome ... Psychological trauma ..... Icon_lol
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Psychological trauma ..... Empty Re: Psychological trauma .....

Post  OMAR Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:49 pm

Is there a rochester clinic in Mayo
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:38 pm

OMAR wrote:Is there a rochester clinic in Mayo

Mayo is just one big clinic and they throw all the loupy ones to cavan
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed May 05, 2010 11:58 pm

I note that a whale-saving, old folk assisting, piano playing, golf club swinging, CO2 emission reducing, corncrake conserving, Michael Jackson loving, tennis playing female - who shall remain nameless - has not posted much here of late. In fact not since the Division 1 final - and not on that subject at all I think. I will not divulge her county but figure that she did not pick up any hand/wrist/finger injury from clapping at that game... Once as prolific as Darren Beckford - alas now as prolific as .... Darren Beckford ...
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Thu May 06, 2010 12:03 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:I note that a whale-saving, old folk assisting, piano playing, golf club swinging, CO2 emission reducing, corncrake conserving, Michael Jackson loving, tennis playing female - who shall remain nameless - has not posted much here of late. In fact not since the Division 1 final - and not on that subject at all I think. I will not divulge her county but figure that she did not pick up any hand/wrist/finger injury from clapping at that game... Once as prolific as Darren Beckford - alas now as prolific as .... Darren Beckford ...

Picketing the queue for the social welfare office perhaps?

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu May 06, 2010 12:08 am

Down with that sort of thing!!!!!!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Thu May 06, 2010 12:09 am

Make yourself useful now..

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu May 06, 2010 8:28 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:As a Dub fan of many years - and an avid reader of posts here

Tsk, tsk......The subject of a further post from you on this thread has informed forumites here last week that said forumite would be bogged down to his/her arxe in exams for this week at any rate.......Random post readers of advancing years tend to remember odd snippets from time to time. Psychological trauma ..... Icon_wink Psychological trauma ..... Icon_wink .Perhaps Bald's quiz thread might throw up a clue....For shame.. Psychological trauma ..... Icon_mad
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Fri May 07, 2010 12:22 am

Boxtyeater wrote:Tsk, tsk......The subject of a further post from you on this thread has informed forumites here last week that said forumite would be bogged down to his/her arxe in exams for this week at any rate.......Random post readers of advancing years tend to remember odd snippets from time to time. Psychological trauma ..... Icon_wink Psychological trauma ..... Icon_wink .Perhaps Bald's quiz thread might throw up a clue....For shame.. Psychological trauma ..... Icon_mad

Not buying that Boxty ......... The league final was last Sunday week and it has been swept under the fibres (broadband) by said poster - she needs to face up to this defeat in public and inform forumites as to why if occurred ....
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 07, 2010 1:17 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:I note that a whale-saving, old folk assisting, piano playing, golf club swinging, CO2 emission reducing, corncrake conserving, Michael Jackson loving, tennis playing female - who shall remain nameless - has not posted much here of late. In fact not since the Division 1 final - and not on that subject at all I think. I will not divulge her county but figure that she did not pick up any hand/wrist/finger injury from clapping at that game... Once as prolific as Darren Beckford - alas now as prolific as .... Darren Beckford ...

Should that not be Micheal Jackson? Psychological trauma ..... Icon_razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down