GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rule change

4 posters

Go down

Rule change Empty Rule change

Post  GAA-Fan Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:20 pm

For once I agree with Mickey Harte, this shouldn't be allowed to happen. Coming up to the final game in the league and the GAA have said that it will be based on head to head with the other team that is to be relegated. Although I do prefer this it is unfair to make this new rule at the end of the league.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Rule change Empty Re: Rule change

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:28 pm

Works at the top too I believe. If we were to beat Tyrone (stop laughing!) and Cork beat Mayo we will be in the Final cos we beat Mayo. If we win and mayo win, Cork will be in the Final cos they beat us.
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:30 pm

26 March 2010
Press Release

The GAA wishes to confirm that where Teams in the National Leagues finish on equal points the tie shall be decided by the following means and in the order specified:

(i) Where two Teams only are involved – the outcome of the meeting of the two Teams in the previous game in the Competition;

(ii) Scoring Difference (subtracting the total Scores Against from total Scores For);

(iii) Highest Total Score For;

(iv) A Play-Off.

Exceptions:
In relation to means (ii) and (iii) above, if the accumulated scores of a team, so involved, are affected by a disqualification, loss of game on a proven objection, retirement or walk over, the tie shall be decided by a Play-Off.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's the official statement from the GAA. Thickness is what I call it. The old rule will only apply if 3 teams land on equal points. If Mayo and Dublin end up on equal points, I think that would mean Dublin would go ahead to the League final based on their last meeting-what the heck are the GAA trying to do at this stage of the NFL? The rule regarding hand passing and a player catching a clear ball from kick-out are other sill rule changes which, in my opinion, totally detach the flow of the game. If you ask me the rules they introduced regarding those two things are very similar to Aussie Rules.

Anyway, as regards these new sets of rules-madness. Scoring difference should be the decider, not their last meeting. The GAA need to get their act together and cop on.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:33 pm

EstherMayo1951 wrote:Anyway, as regards these new sets of rules-madness. Scoring difference should be the decider, not their last meeting. The GAA need to get their act together and cop on.

Is this brought on by the fact that Dublin beat Mayo???
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:43 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
EstherMayo1951 wrote:Anyway, as regards these new sets of rules-madness. Scoring difference should be the decider, not their last meeting. The GAA need to get their act together and cop on.

Is this brought on by the fact that Dublin beat Mayo???

The way I see it is why should the decision made about whether a county gets through to the final or not, be judged solely on one match? It should be on scoring difference. The answer to your question would be no, my opinion isn't brought on by the fact Dublin beat Mayo, but I'd be lying if I said that some of the passion in my argument isn't down to that fact. Mayo have a much more superior scoring difference to Dublin. Dublin only beat them by one point. I think the old system should be there!

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:50 pm

Oh I dunno. Suppose some team starts the league and loses by a point then win a couple and are safe from relegation - but can't win the League - and then decide to throw out a weak team and are hammered. This can affect points difference hugely. Also some teams have 4 homes compared to 3 for others. We had to go to Cork, Kerry, Mayo and Tyrone to come - so we had to visit the three best counties of the last couple of years. Surely if teams finish level then how they got on against each other is at least as fair as points difference - not least because you remove 'variable' factors!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:00 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:Oh I dunno. Suppose some team starts the league and loses by a point then win a couple and are safe from relegation - but can't win the League - and then decide to throw out a weak team and are hammered. This can affect points difference hugely. Also some teams have 4 homes compared to 3 for others. We had to go to Cork, Kerry, Mayo and Tyrone to come - so we had to visit the three best counties of the last couple of years. Surely if teams finish level then how they got on against each other is at least as fair as points difference - not least because you remove 'variable' factors!

Well we had 4 away games too-Tyrone, Derry, Kerry and in 2 weeks time, Cork. In my opinion, points difference can be indicative of a county's form. I think it's the fairest possible way of deciding who goes through to the final, or who gets relegated. I see where you're coming from Jayo, though!

Back to top Go down

Post  Dougal Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:51 pm

i am of the impression that all club and county secretaries were notified of this rule change long before the league started.going to leave things very interesting,and possibly very unfair as well.
Dougal
Dougal
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Cavan
Number of posts : 289

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:38 pm

A great rule.

It promotes Antrim, even if Wexford do beat us by 11 points.

We beat Sligo.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down