GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maybe this year ......

+5
mullins
Thomas Clarke
mid-mon man
SamiPremier08
Jayo Cluxton
9 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Maybe this year ...... Empty Maybe this year ......

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:19 pm

Since we entered the new millennium few have done it. To the Kerry men it’s second nature – ditto the Cats – none of them on here though! To the Corconians it’s a regular event when they aren’t bating and eating each other. Tyronians have supped regularly and the Galwegians, Orchards and Tipperarians have also tasted the tinglingly metallic sensation of imbibing salivary alcohol from the most sought after plant pots in Ireland.

Before I could legally imbibe – and even illegally – there were a few successes but since I came of age only twice has the opportunity arisen. It has certainly become a holy grail situation now. An endless pursuit of the ultimate prize which ends in tears and lachrymose acrimony. The bigger the pasting the harder to bear, the further the distance the bigger the hopelessness, the longer the wait the greater the hurt.

As with Mother Nature, each year brings hope in spring, a blossoming in summer before a withering and abrupt termination in autumn followed by a bleak winter dissecting the indissectable and trying to make sense of the senseless.

But we persist with hope in our hearts, Dutch Gold in our bellies and watches that are slow. We arrive (eventually) in the Mecca that is Croker in great numbers each May – for the GAA have deigned it so! We speak of many players whose names all end in ‘O’. We speak of the new Messiah (every 3 or 4 years anyway). We speak of the new Mullins (not that one!), the new Jimmy, the new Jayo – we speak with excitement and redden slightly as our excitement spills over down the front of our Arnotts (now Vodafone) shirts – leaving lager than life stains.

We kick every ball, curse every decision and point our fingers - in derision and precision - at the sky and the stands and the Artane Boys Band. Cruising through Leinster we surf the wave, quaff the champagne and salute the brave. We build up our hopes, start looking to September but never quite surpassing the august company we meet!

And now we have forgotten what its like to welcome Sam (and Liam) on their magical mystery tour down our main thoroughfare. Where neon lights and fast food packaging tickles your ankles, where the Spire rises phallicly into the sky, where the Luas rails against you and where chewing gum greets your every step.

Surely this cannot go on. We are a humble people – who have had hurt visited on us from North, South and West – East too the odd time. If you are up there – please listen. Sam needs the bus. He needs his silver pate to glisten in the capital sun. He needs to be affectionately acclaimed in the city that never sleeps (without a gun beside the bed). He needs to see what he has missed in 15 years. He needs to learn of the tragic drowning of the Anna Livia - he needs to know of the changes, the Tiger that came, prowled, feasted, burped and left, abruptly. He needs to know of Smithfield and the Spike, the O2 and the free bikes – how Whelo took over the skies and how Bono took over the world. He needs to be told – soon.

Sam it’s been to long. Come on home son and bring Liam with you!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Maybe this year ...... Empty Re: Maybe this year ......

Post  SamiPremier08 Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:50 pm

Almost makes me want Dublin to win the all-Ireland. Almost...
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:54 pm

Jayo, if I was editor of the Independent I'd have you writing a GAA column every week-well done!

Of course, I'd have to get you to replace Dublin with Mayo, Leinster with Connaught and 15 years with 59 Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  mid-mon man Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:03 pm

Wah, Wah, no Sam in 15 years, poor yous! Wink

Try not having won a bloody provincial in 22 years, honestly lads, ye don't know you're living!

Good piece all the same, but it's hard to pity a county that's 2nd in the Sam roll of honour! Dublin will probably win another before long anyway.
mid-mon man
mid-mon man
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Monaghan
Number of posts : 1838

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:05 pm

Very good Jayo! I have to admit that if I didn't have to come in contact with Dublin supporters anymore I would want them to win if we were out.

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Certainly the Dubs bring a lot to the championship (well, the June/July part of it anyway!). There is nothing that beats the atmosphere that you get when the Hill is rocking and the Dubs are firing, and that sense of expectation is palpable. We in other counties critcise them for the hype, for imagining that players like Jayo, Whelan, Redmond and the likes are among the upper echelon of stars, yet love the satisfaction we get from disproving such myths.

Yes indeed, love them or loath them, the summer wouldn't be the same without the Dubs. Unfortunately for them though, despite a levelling out of standards, I don't see them winning the All-Ireland this year.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:31 pm

we wont win sam this year tommy but dublin has a lot better players over the years than tyrone ever had and you just mentioned 3 of them

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:34 pm

hipster wrote:we wont win sam this year tommy but dublin has a lot better players over the years than tyrone ever had and you just mentioned 3 of them

Not in the last 30 years Hipster. In fact, it isn't even close in that period. Before that, fair enough.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:37 pm

i would give you the last ten years but not the last 30 fact

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:38 pm

hipster wrote:i would give you the last ten years but not the last 30 fact

Really Hipster, what would be your best Dublin side over the last 30 years?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:43 pm

well we won 2 AIs and competed in another 2 or 3 and numerous leinsters we won and league titles and all this before the back door devalued the AI championship .

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:48 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
hipster wrote:we wont win sam this year tommy but dublin has a lot better players over the years than tyrone ever had and you just mentioned 3 of them

Not in the last 30 years Hipster. In fact, it isn't even close in that period. Before that, fair enough.

My god cheap shot where were tyrone in the last 30 years...dont make me laugh
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:51 pm

hipster wrote:well we won 2 AIs and competed in another 2 or 3 and numerous leinsters we won and league titles and all this before the back door devalued the AI championship .

Yeah, Tyrone won all those as well (3 All-Irelands - 2 other finals, 2 NFLs, 9 Ulsters, 4 U21, 4 minors), but that wasn't the point. The debate, that you brought up, was that Dublin had better players, which I disagree with. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that Dublin's lack of success in the last 30 years has been down to a lack of top quality players, particularly midfielders and forwards. Lots of good players, but no top drawer players like Peter Canavan, Stevie O'Neill, Eugene McKenna, Sean Cavanagh or Frank McGuigan.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  mullins Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:56 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
hipster wrote:well we won 2 AIs and competed in another 2 or 3 and numerous leinsters we won and league titles and all this before the back door devalued the AI championship .

Yeah, Tyrone won all those as well (3 All-Irelands - 2 other finals, 2 NFLs, 9 Ulsters, 4 U21, 4 minors), but that wasn't the point. The debate, that you brought up, was that Dublin had better players, which I disagree with. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that Dublin's lack of success in the last 30 years has been down to a lack of top quality players, particularly midfielders and forwards. Lots of good players, but no top drawer players like Peter Canavan, Stevie O'Neill, Eugene McKenna, Sean Cavanagh or Frank McGuigan.

Hipster wum alert..ignore
mullins
mullins
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Dublin
Number of posts : 2954

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:01 pm

yes like barney rock brian mullins dessie farrell paul clarke jim roynane sherlock all as good and better than you say tommy c but this is going no where we agree to differ

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:02 pm

hipster wrote:yes like barney rock brian mullins dessie farrell paul clarke jim roynane sherlock all as good and better than you say tommy c but this is going no where we agree to differ

Mick Deegan.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:07 pm

one of my favourite players royal girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:07 pm

hipster wrote:one of my favourite players royal girl

He's a great man all right Hipster

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:09 pm

at both gaelic and soccer he could play in slippers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:10 pm

hipster wrote:at both gaelic and soccer he could play in slippers

So I get told regularly!

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:12 pm

hipster wrote:yes like barney rock brian mullins dessie farrell paul clarke jim roynane sherlock all as good and better than you say tommy c but this is going no where we agree to differ

Brian Mullins was a great but done after his accident, and Farrell and Rock were good but not great, while Clarke, Royane and Sherlock were fairly good players at best. The players I named were all recently listed in the top 125 players of all time in the Independent, most of them in the top 50. Brian McGuigan & Brian Dooher were also on that list. But as I said earlier, we in other counties love the hype and myth, because it makes our victories all the sweeter.

I'm not winding anyone up Mullins, I genuinely think that Dublin have not produced enough top players in the last 30 years, but let's agree to differ on this one.

Last edited by Thomas Clarke on Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:12 pm

is he a relation

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:13 pm

hipster wrote:is he a relation

Nope but I'm good friends with Michael Deegan, his son. The slagging is unreal.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:16 pm

well his da is a legend and a gentleman and thomas clarke who cares about them stupid lists

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:19 pm

He is indeed Hispter he is indeed...

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next