GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 10 Funeral Songs

+2
Jayo Cluxton
bocerty
6 posters

Go down

Top 10 Funeral Songs Empty Top 10 Funeral Songs

Post  bocerty Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:45 pm

the top 10 funeral songs have been revealed as below...

10 "Unforgettable" Nat King Cole
09 "You'll Never Walk Alone" Gerry & The Pacemakers
08 "I Will Always Love You" Whitney Houston
07 "My Heart Will Go On" Celine Dion
06 "You Raise Me Up" Westlife/Boyzone/Josh Grobin
05 "Over The Rainbow" Eva Cassidy
04 "Angels" Robbie Williams
03 "Time To Say Goodbye" Sarah Brightman/Andrea Bocelli
02 "Wind Beneath My Wings" Bette Midler/Celine Dion
01 "My Way" Frank Sinatra/Shirley Bassey

what song would you have played the day you head of to the 'other side'.

I remember a cousin of mine several years ago who sadly died from cancer. She was a larger than life character with a great sense of humour, she had her own funeral all arranged before her passing and had arranged for a cremation, so off the family headed for the cremation and as her coffin and remains were being removed for the cremation process the song 'Another One Bites The Dust' started pumping out through the PA system, she had requested this herself but no one else was privy to it, needless to say everyone burst out laughing just as she would have wanted.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Top 10 Funeral Songs Empty Re: Top 10 Funeral Songs

Post  Jayo Cluxton Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:04 pm

Great story Boc - something I would aspire to. My brother was cremated and we had an acoustic version of A Million Miles by Rory Gallagher played - really nice.

I think 'Living in a Box' would be appropriate for all. I love Time to Say Goodbye in any case but for me it would have to be Baggy Trousers by Madness ...
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  black&white Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:13 am

I'd rate Time to Say Goodbye as the best out of those already mentioned, but I've always thought that Who Wants to Live Forever by Queen would be a great funeral song.

Another one that will always stick with me is Bridge Over Troubled Water.
The May before I sat my Leaving Cert one of my classmates passed away from Sudden Adult Death Syndrome.
We'd been preparing for our Grad Mass, and Paul had been due to sing the above song at it.
At the funeral one of the other lads sang it, and it was one of the most heart-wrenching moments I've ever experienced.
black&white
black&white
GAA All Star
GAA All Star

Sligo
Number of posts : 1081

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:01 am

Are things that bad here that we having threads about funeral music now? Top 10 Funeral Songs Icon_pale
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:48 am

When we were younger, one of my mates reckoned that he wanted to have Raining in Baltimore by the Counting Crows at his fineral. Every time I hear the song now, I can't help but picture him being dead (he's not). Weird.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:32 am

RMDrive wrote:When we were younger, one of my mates reckoned that he wanted to have Raining in Baltimore by the Counting Crows at his fineral. Every time I hear the song now, I can't help but picture him being dead (he's not). Weird.

My favourite band RMD, it's a great song too but not one for a funeral!

That said, i'm not one for music at funerial services nor is anyone in my family. A few years back a member of my family died in their 20s and the priest asked my da if we would like any music played at the funeral, some of their favourite songs or something, my da just replied to him "it's a funeral not a fcuking disco!!" Not a great time for me to burst out laughing but i just couldn't help it when i saw the priests face!!!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:53 pm

mossbags wrote:Are things that bad here that we having threads about funeral music now? Top 10 Funeral Songs Icon_pale

its just a bit of craic mossbags that's all, and besides the GAA threads don't always attract a significant number of replies ..........................
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:13 pm

How about "You're as cold as ice" or "Stairway to Heaven"? Or "Going Underground" or "Living in a box"?
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:15 pm

You Raise Me Up OR
The Only Way Is Up Laughing Laughing Laughing
bocerty