GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kevin Kilbane Appreciation Thread

+3
redhandman
JimWexford
Jayo Cluxton
7 posters

Go down

Kevin Kilbane Appreciation Thread Empty Kevin Kilbane Appreciation Thread

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:18 pm

In the light of some scurrilous texts elsewhere I think it appropriate to open a thread to the above named on the eve of his 100th cap. An honour he shares with Shay Given - ah to even mention them in the same sentence!

Born in Preston we can be forever grateful he unbelievably slipped through the fingers of the English youth system to go on and make a record consecutive amount of appearances for Ireland.

His commitment can never be questioned - but then again any Hartlepool or Torquay player would give his right leg to play international football. Apparently a lovely guy and a man to put in the work at training - though I know of no other country in Europe (incl Andorra, San Marino, Leichtenstein etc) where these qualities will get you a game.

His list of clubs is like reading a who's who of great football clubs - Preston, West Brom, Sunderland, Everton, Wigan and Hull!!!
He has even played in a mask for his country - but we all knew it was him anyway! Kevin has pointed out that if we want to progress to the World Cup Finals we must cut out our defensive errors - I presumed it was his retirement announcement - alas no!

So happy 100th international Kev - truly one of the great mysteries of sport! Zinedine Kilbane - we salute you .......
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Kevin Kilbane Appreciation Thread Empty Re: Kevin Kilbane Appreciation Thread

Post  JimWexford Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:23 pm

last sat was the first irish international game i witnessed in over 5/6 years and due to his worship (title track) and a certain mr andrews I would gladly go anmother 5/6 years.
Thankfully I don't have to put the youngest off the foreign game your man trap will do it for me by playing those boys.
Trap I salute you
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:28 pm

Maybe the Dubs should get in a few lads born in Preston. A bit of heart and commitment can bring you a long way. Kevin Kilbane Appreciation Thread Icon_smile Fair play to you Kevin, i always thought you deserved your place. I remember the Sunderland fans used to give him stick because he never played as well for them as he did for Ireland (jayo, you're probably wondering how he could play worse). I think he has been steady for Ireland without being spectacular. Surely McCarthy, Kerr, Staunton and Trap cant all be wrong? Take that back, Surely Trap cant be wrong?

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:33 pm

I genuinely like the man himself - and his commitment to the cause would put many 'native' players to shame - but as I say if you are a Division 4 player and you keep getting called up (inexplicably) for international duty you are gonna turn up every time! He probably still pinches himself every time wondering when they are going to cop on to him!

I just think that by Thursday morning he will have about 99 caps more than he should ........
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:35 pm

solid without being spectacular- kevin kilbane, sure its the common theme with many irish internationals post big jack era but i pose this question who would you play in his place? and how many current prem league players would play with a broken cheekbone?

kevin doyle runs all day but doenst look like scorin - i like the lad but is he the irish emile heskey

paul mcshane run through a wall or jan koller which ever comes first just dont ask him to pass the ball or heaven forbid cross it. ditto for kenny cunningham mark kinsella and any of traps central midfielders.

we have a brilliant keeper in the lifford legend richard dunne has held our defence together from he was about 22 and robbie keane may miss his fair share but also gets more than his fair share.

sure greece won euro 2004 without any marquee players it seems to be the established way in international football nowadays
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:35 pm

Lads why knock him, there are loads of people around the country who are getting paid for doing a job they arent much good at. But you dont hear any of them say 'here i'm not much good at this job I resign and you can stop paying my salary'.

The lad has been fortunate enough to have made a career out of something that he is at best average at, i wouldnt mind the lifestyle he has or his money. On the bright side no one has ever paid over the odds for his services, unlike Liverpool who paid £17m for a right sided midfielder and played him at full back.

I say good luck to the lad.............
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:42 pm

redhandman wrote:solid without being spectacular- kevin kilbane, sure its the common theme with many irish internationals post big jack era but i pose this question who would you play in his place? and how many current prem league players would play with a broken cheekbone?

kevin doyle runs all day but doenst look like scorin - i like the lad but is he the irish emile heskey

paul mcshane run through a wall or jan koller which ever comes first just dont ask him to pass the ball or heaven forbid cross it. ditto for kenny cunningham mark kinsella and any of traps central midfielders.

we have a brilliant keeper in the lifford legend richard dunne has held our defence together from he was about 22 and robbie keane may miss his fair share but also gets more than his fair share.

sure greece won euro 2004 without any marquee players it seems to be the established way in international football nowadays

couldnt agree more, he is an average player which is why he fits right into the Ireland team. Vast majority are average players who show great commitment to the cause which helps them punch above their weight.

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:56 pm

redhandman wrote:but i pose this question who would you play in his place?

Go up the Phoenix Park any Sunday morning and take your pick ......
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:58 pm

Jayo Cluxton wrote:

was out at balgriffen on sunday didnt see too many suitors!

you said you walked the dog on sunday where @ jc was out @ portmarnock meself.
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:03 pm

redhandman wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:

What????????
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:44 pm

JimWexford wrote:last sat was the first irish international game i witnessed in over 5/6 years and due to his worship (title track) and a certain mr andrews I would gladly go anmother 5/6 years.
Thankfully I don't have to put the youngest off the foreign game your man trap will do it for me by playing those boys.
Trap I salute you

personally I think it's great for Ireland to have the chance of reaching South Africa. Living in a country full of soccer fans who have no idea what GAA is it is brilliant to beable to have something to shout about regarding Ireland and sport that everyone else will understand!
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary
Number of posts : 2682

Back to top Go down

Post  6inarow Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:03 pm

I agree with Sami, come on Ireland, I'd love it if we make it!

As for Kilbane, he's been a good servant despite playing for West Brom for several years and I dare say you could do with a few Kevin Kilbane's down at Elland Road Jayo Kevin Kilbane Appreciation Thread Icon_lol

6inarow
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Galway
Number of posts : 263

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:49 pm

Dunphy once said that "Kilbane had a good head on him. If he had a head on the end of each leg he'd be a middling player"

Anyway, good luck Killer as you reach 100 caps. Exactly 100 more than me but I'm not from Preston.
Well done to Shay Given as well it must be said....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:36 am

Jayo Cluxton wrote:
redhandman wrote:
Jayo Cluxton wrote:

What????????

i was in the big smoke staying with friends out near donaghmede. went for a run along the beach and on another thread you mentioned you were walking the dog getting some sea air. thats WHAT!!!!!!

also managed to see some junior sunday soccer brutal stuff loads of throw ins never a good sign.
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:25 am

6inarow wrote:As for Kilbane, he's been a good servant despite playing for West Brom for several years and I dare say you could do with a few Kevin Kilbane's down at Elland Road Jayo Kevin Kilbane Appreciation Thread Icon_lol

We are where we are cos we had too many KKs!!

redhandman - I don't have a dog! But you're right you get about 150 throw-ins in a junior soccer match!!
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:03 pm

well what a crap match to mark their 100th cap with. Ireland were awful, the game itself was like watching paint dry and they should have had a blatent penalty. If we're going to play like that in the play-offs then there's not much point in even turning up.
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:16 pm

SamiPremier08 wrote:well what a crap match to mark their 100th cap with. Ireland were awful, the game itself was like watching paint dry and they should have had a blatent penalty. If we're going to play like that in the play-offs then there's not much point in even turning up.

What else would you expect Sami?...Eastenders was magic tonight.....I take it the soccerball was a 0-0 then.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:26 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
SamiPremier08 wrote:well what a crap match to mark their 100th cap with. Ireland were awful, the game itself was like watching paint dry and they should have had a blatent penalty. If we're going to play like that in the play-offs then there's not much point in even turning up.

What else would you expect Sami?...Eastenders was magic tonight.....I take it the soccerball was a 0-0 then.

yes. Ireland forced 1 save out of their 'keeper in 90 minutes and ironically the best save of the eveing came from our right-back when he dived and fisted the ball away after a Montenegro shot. How the ref did not notic I do not know - he was probably asleep like everyone else. It was that boring.

Seriously play-offs playing like tonight, NO CHANCE.
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:32 pm

Could we get The Faroe Islands or some other such footballing force?????/
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  SamiPremier08 Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:38 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Could we get The Faroe Islands or some other such footballing force?????/

no we couldn't. The big wigs at FIFA have realised that the big money nations such as Portugal, France and Russie are going to finsih second in their groups, thus making the play-offs. Initially (and traditionally) the 8 teams in the play-offs have gone into an open draw, and played two legs to determine which teams take the remaining 4 qualification spots.

FIFA however have cahnged their minds on this one and - because there is a risk of the big teams meeting each other in an open draw (i.e. France vs Portugal - one would not qualify) - have seeded the draw to ensure the bigger teams are more likely to make the finals. Ireland are more than likely to be deemed not good enough amongst the 8 teams to be seeded and so consequently will be drawn against a nation that is actually good at football - France, Portugal etc.
SamiPremier08
SamiPremier08
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Tipperary

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down