GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Poll - this years championship (currently running)

+5
Jayo Cluxton
RMDrive
bocerty
JimWexford
Boxtyeater
9 posters

Go down

Poll - this years championship (currently running) Empty Poll - this years championship (currently running)

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:57 pm

I notice that 3 members gave this years championship 10/10 and comprise 14% of the vote.
A 10/10 for this years effort makes the poll look like very Zimbabwean to my eye.
I have no problem saying what I gave it----5/10 but I suppose I could concur with a 6 if persuaded.

Would any of the GT 3 care to add their views---or have we some Kerry folk relocated to other places and been adopted by less successful counties. There were some shockingly poor, nay downright woeful games.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Poll - this years championship (currently running) Empty Re: Poll - this years championship (currently running)

Post  JimWexford Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:02 pm

I gave it a two there was as you righly pointed out a dirth of very poor games.
Trying to even think of a good game- please note this would be different from performances such as Kerry v Dublin.
One of the worst in many a year
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford
Number of posts : 2013

Back to top Go down

Poll - this years championship (currently running) Empty Re: Poll - this years championship (currently running)

Post  bocerty Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:36 pm

sort of wondered at those 10/10 votes alright, unless it is one member voted 3 times. Probably that JC eejit after a night out on the Heino logged on the next morning with a bad shake in his hand...............
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:38 pm

JimWexford wrote:I gave it a two there was as you righly pointed out a dirth of very poor games.
Trying to even think of a good game- please note this would be different from performances such as Kerry v Dublin.
One of the worst in many a year

Give me a year that was a 10 Jim in your opinion. Or indeed a year that was an 8 (which is what I scored it).
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayo Cluxton Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:55 pm

Think I gave it a six - maybe I meant to give it a 9 but was so pi55ed that I was looking at the pc upside down.... Poll - this years championship (currently running) Icon_biggrin

I reckon the IP address for the three 10/10s was in Jones' Road ...... Poll - this years championship (currently running) Icon_lol
Jayo Cluxton
Jayo Cluxton
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Number of posts : 13273

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:58 pm

Lower end of the scale, I think it was a 3. Not a great championship, standard of football was poor, Meath return to the dizzy heights was my highlight.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:58 pm

One of the 10/10s was me.

Coulda guessed it was you, Loyal, to be honest.

Back to top Go down

Post  clash-of-da-ash Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:01 pm

I gave it a 6. Maybe there are a few Kerry men on this.
clash-of-da-ash
clash-of-da-ash
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

East Galway
Number of posts : 1932

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:05 pm

I will post further on this when I have time. The standard was not that bad though, like what is everyone comparing the championship against?

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:15 am

Bright-Oak wrote:Lower end of the scale, I think it was a 3. Not a great championship, standard of football was poor, Meath return to the dizzy heights was my highlight.

Same question to you as to Jim. Give me a year that was a 10 in your opinion. I've a funny feeling that there's a ceiling on some people votes that they are not aware of. Is there anything that could have happened this year that would have made it a 10 for you? Probably not.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:28 am

RMD does perfection ever exist or is ir achieved.
Of the top of head can I think of a 10/10 year no.
9 out of ten for me personally lasy year, more so due to Wexfords progress - and yes I would be looking through purple tainted glasses.
To sum up this year
Leinster poor
Ulster poor
Connaught poor
Munster poor

Quaifiers did not sparkle or come alive this year.
Reason
Teams over trained to become professional athelics under trained with the ball.
I don't want to see players up and down the field and people counting how many metres they have covered.
I want to see catching kicking long range points ( a truely rare thing nowadays).
I don't want to see my full foward line handpassing a ball with my ful back inside my own 14 and "building up a play".
Basically I would like to adapt the go games to the adult champ and everyone has to stay in side there zones.
One handpass in a row allowed max.
Bring in the mark and play it as a mark either a free kick or if the player so wishes to play on.
Do away with the qualifiers and let us have knockout and by the same manner allow us to rebuild the club structure to produce better players and in the same process better games.

I know I'm a scatched record at this stage but the declining quality of football compared to the quantity of marathon runners we are producing is alarming.
Rant over and totally off the point.
Off my head RMD a really good year 1985 think it was bothe all irealnd sems were draws MMM will correct me if I'm wrong
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:14 am

RMD, for me 07 was about an 7 and 04 was about an 8, the rating you give the championship has some way to do with how your own team performed. My 3 is because of how the AI champions performed through the championship and then won.

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:27 am

JimWexford wrote:RMD does perfection ever exist or is ir achieved.
Of the top of head can I think of a 10/10 year no.
9 out of ten for me personally lasy year, more so due to Wexfords progress - and yes I would be looking through purple tainted glasses.
To sum up this year
Leinster poor
Ulster poor
Connaught poor
Munster poor

Quaifiers did not sparkle or come alive this year.
Reason
Teams over trained to become professional athelics under trained with the ball.
I don't want to see players up and down the field and people counting how many metres they have covered.
I want to see catching kicking long range points ( a truely rare thing nowadays).
I don't want to see my full foward line handpassing a ball with my ful back inside my own 14 and "building up a play".
Basically I would like to adapt the go games to the adult champ and everyone has to stay in side there zones.
One handpass in a row allowed max.
Bring in the mark and play it as a mark either a free kick or if the player so wishes to play on.
Do away with the qualifiers and let us have knockout and by the same manner allow us to rebuild the club structure to produce better players and in the same process better games.

I know I'm a scatched record at this stage but the declining quality of football compared to the quantity of marathon runners we are producing is alarming.
Rant over and totally off the point.
Off my head RMD a really good year 1985 think it was bothe all irealnd sems were draws MMM will correct me if I'm wrong

So last year was a 9 and this year was a 2 Poll - this years championship (currently running) Icon_eek Poll - this years championship (currently running) Icon_eek

If you are rating the entire championship on how your own team did then it's you are not really answering the question. What you are saying is that last year Wexford did well and you were happy and this year they didn't and you weren't. Saying that the whole championship was poor because your team didn't perform is just daft.

I'm not one of the doom and gloom brigade about the state of football at the moment. Certainly fitness and athleticism have become a more important part of things and perhaps too important. However again and again I hear people talking about how football was better in the past. It wasn't. It was just different. There was muck played in 2009, 2001, 1992, 1985, 1979 and any other year you name. There's a misfounded nostalgia about the past.

So don't tell me that football has gone down-hill or wasn't as good as it was in the past. If you don't like the game and think it's poor then what you are saying is that you feel the whole game of football should be changed into something different; into a vision of a game never played before in Ireland. Not that it should be changed into something that has been before.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:28 am

Bright-Oak wrote:RMD, for me 07 was about an 7 and 04 was about an 8, the rating you give the championship has some way to do with how your own team performed. My 3 is because of how the AI champions performed through the championship and then won.

If you are rating the championship based on how your own team did then your not answering the question.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  JimWexford Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:33 pm

Didn't say it had gone downhill I meerly pointed out i didn't like the direction it was heading.
Didn't say yesteryear was better I did only came up with a year I thought was good can really rem a whole lot about that year.
Fair play if you don't judge a champ around your own team but I did mention I was been biased.
Debate shows that we all have different viewpoints and what you consider good I may not and vice versa and then loyal jumps in and everything goes of the radar completely.
It was a personal choice the same as yours.
The only definate thing I can say it is raining now
JimWexford
JimWexford
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Wexford

Back to top Go down

Post  mossbags Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:43 pm

Poor year I thought. Gave it about a 2 or a 3 or something. When a spoiler type of player like Paul Galvin is favourite for POTY then that says it all about the type of year its been. Give me a year inspired by a Maurice Fitz or a Micheal Donnellan and the rating would be at the other end of the scale.
mossbags
mossbags
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Galway
Number of posts : 3405

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:08 pm

RMDrive wrote:
Bright-Oak wrote:RMD, for me 07 was about an 7 and 04 was about an 8, the rating you give the championship has some way to do with how your own team performed. My 3 is because of how the AI champions performed through the championship and then won.

If you are rating the championship based on how your own team did then your not answering the question.

Yes but you subconsciously rate the championship on how it was for you, and due to the fact my team or no team I followed closely was in the latter stages I lost interest. A lot of games that were played were of a poor standard and very few were memorable, the only memorable games IMO (for the right reasons) were Derry v Monaghan II, Dubs v Kildare, Cork v Tyrone and Galway v mayo. The rest were pretty poor.

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:33 pm

The qualifier system has ruined the whole thing, blurring the actual fundamental status of championship.
Rakes of qualifiers, great for a wet Saturday evenings viewing, but turning it into a glorified league-----not for me.
Champo should be knockout, one strike and out. Club competitions are suffering even at minor grade and given the state of the economy, travelling to support your county in far flung outposts like XXXXXXX is a drain.

Skills are disappearing like choc ices in the Sudan, how many great catches did we witness or how many John McEntee-esque points did we see this year, bugger all is the answer.

Plenty of bunched defenders, unimaginative ball carriers, hand passing to bate the band, Christ 'tisnt football at all.

To borrow slightly from Muhammed Ali "you can run but yor cannot kick". I'm down to a 4 - Tomas O'Se earned it himself..
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  patrique Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:59 pm

My nickname for elections at work is Mugabee.

I scored it 10 out of 10.

Wicklow, Kildare, Antrim,Limerick all had a lash, and then Donegal and Meath via the back door. Mayo have a great footballing squad.

Cork were wonderful to watch thrashing the best anyone had to offer, until the final.

Kerry battled wonderfully against the odds in the qualifiers, before winning another title.

Kildare were in three great games, Wicklow in a few, and a fair few other highly entertaining games.

And Antrim went further than before in my entire LIFETIME, so maybe that made it different as well.

If this was Spinal Tap I would go to 11.
patrique
patrique
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Antrim
Number of posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:27 am

i gave it a 6 - personally it was disappointing that Tyrone couldn't retain their title there were were some good moments. Ok the standard of football was not always of the highest order but unless something radical is done to change the game or unless a new manager comes along with some new way of beating the packed defence or we all move away from the short passing game things are unlikely to change.

I read an interesting article the other day and in it the author referred to the Fermanagh v Wicklow game earlier in the year. He said he watched Fermanagh warm up for over 15 minutes prior to the game and not once in that 15 minute spell did any of the warm-ups require a ball to be kicked!!!!!!

The single biggest disappointment for me though was the decision by the GAA not to reduce ticket prices bearing in mind the economic climate we were living in. They should have made more effort to meet the fans half way.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:50 am

i gave it a 6 - ok year all round nothing above the average or below it either.

kerry destroyed a poor dublin team cork had the hunger on us and only for antrim sligo and wicklows runs this year could have had a lower rating .

kerry v cork in munster produced two good games sligo v galway too who will want to remember derry v monaghan in paradise but who would want to forget derry v monaghan in clones (bar p duffy the monaghan goalie!)

antrim fans bringing some colour to clones and swagger too we had the protest of a few monaghan fan against brolly we had spillanes rant tributes to mayos fav c&w singer micheal jackson (never mind lay the blanket on the ground pull the geansai over your head)

wiclow just like burnley unbeatable at home but like denis bergkamp they cant travel.

and although the final wasnt the best it was still a hell of a lot better than 04 06 and 07
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:56 am

What are people using as standard for a 10/10 championship!?

I would say 2009 was one of the GAA's greatest ever year!

Back to top Go down

Post  redhandman Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:14 am

you would L2TR sure any year your lot last longer than the dubs is 10/10

i would use 2005 as a barometer as it would be 9/10 material the 3 best teams at that time played each other 4 times and in the end no match was won by more than a handful of points there was controversy and redemption (michael collins gone in 60 seconds and that free) unknowns coming from relative obscurity to win and then slipping back into it shane sweeny anyone we had the dubs and tyrone twice we had mugsy goal monaghan starting to ignite free flowing football in croker on sunny days. weremebered fallen heroes in cormac we had the best allirelandfinal in years 3 goals the minor match was class too myo lost again

remeber headin to waterford after the drawn ulster final it was the hottest week in ireland in over 30 years we were warmer than the costas ( sun always makes championship better!)

sure im biased but you prob think that year was awful.
redhandman
redhandman
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

tyrone
Number of posts : 545

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down