GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Golf thread

+19
mossbags
Grenvile
Royal_Girl2k9
samin12
Real Kerry Fan
black&white
RMDrive
mullins
bocerty
The Puke
Loyal2TheRoyal
OMAR
Thomas Clarke
redhandman
Boxtyeater
patrique
hurlingguru
Jayo Cluxton
GAAGenious
23 posters

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

The Golf thread - Page 15 Empty Re: The Golf thread

Post  bocerty Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:18 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
bocerty wrote:impressive stuff from Rose, he has been knocking on the door for a few years without really threatening in a serious manner.  That said he has been muted as a possible major winner by a few folk who know their golf for a while now.

He'll be worth a few bob in sponsorship deals now.

Bocerty posting from the media center at the Killyhevlin Hotel according to the I.P. address. Suspect
Yer' a gas man all right.

no Boxty its from one of the tents outside the Lough Erne - they kindly gave me the wifi password of the day
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:42 pm

Bocerty is no mug "I can assure you" (courtesy of the rogue from Waterville)..

He's below at the G8 with a burger van as we speak, horsing out quarter-pounders and getting paid in every currency from yen to dollars.....

And "out sick" for the week with the nerves.....Woop Woop!!!!!!
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:00 pm

Potentially a fascinating final round of the USPGA tonight. 6 shots from Furyk at -9 to McIlroy & Westwood at -3, but there are only 5 golfers between them, so it could well be a day when someone comes from within the pack. Jason Day currently a -4 and on his usual Major charge.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:51 pm

Water, water, water.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:10 pm

RMDrive wrote:Water, water, water.
Yeah, he had just missed a 6ft putt for birdie, and then made triple bogey. Should have been -5 and challenging, and instead was out of it at -1.

Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:32 pm

Jason Day is easily my favourite golfer! Really want to see him win a major as he has been very kind to me without ever meeting me!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:10 pm

Dufner still no bogeys after 15th. If he can par the last 3 and win, this will have been as good a round as his 63 on Friday.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:48 pm

Dufner looks like the sort of fella who would be thrown out of most golf clubs for being too scruffily attired....but he has had a mighty round today.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:24 pm

Lee Westwood was brilliant on Twitter this morning, had a bit of a booze induced meltdown!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:01 pm

bald eagle wrote:Lee Westwood was brilliant on Twitter this morning, had a bit of a booze induced meltdown!
I followed that when I got up. He apologised for it an hour ago.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:35 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
bald eagle wrote:Lee Westwood was brilliant on Twitter this morning, had a bit of a booze induced meltdown!
I followed that when I got up. He apologised for it an hour ago.
I saw that TC, i really wish he hadn't!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:59 pm

bald eagle wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:
I followed that when I got up.  He apologised for it an hour ago.
I saw that TC, i really wish he hadn't!
Westwood has spent the last month telling people that he no longer gets upset about his losses in golf, and that he is very happy with what he has in life. A noble and totally understandable thought, yet ignoring the media and ranting on twitter after his 76 yesterday would suggest that Lee doesn't really believe it.

Logic would suggest that Westwood is never going to win a major now, but who a few years ago would have thought that Darren Clarke would have won one. Westwood could still win his.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:11 pm

I'd like to see it TC, i think the rant showed his frustrations at letting his chance slip and i like it when someone shows emotion after an event, especially on twitter as there are some cocks on there that will eventually be its downfall! Jez, i even had RMD giving me a hard time on it once, and i am untouchable! Seriously though, LW should employ the best sports shrink there is with his 40m as he has a mental block when close to the big prize, i usually think they are a load of crap but he obviously needs one!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:55 pm

bald eagle wrote: Seriously though, LW should employ the best sports shrink there is with his 40m as he has a mental block when close to the big prize, i usually think they are a load of crap but he obviously needs one!
Seriously Beagle, if you had £40m would you employ a headwrecker to advise you? Think about it.

It reminds me a little of the dispossessed African people, who recall when the white men came with religion and prayer books.
The white man said "close your eyes and pray". When we opened our eyes they had the land and we had the bibles....Juxtapose this with a set of clubs and a sack of £££££. Suspect 
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:00 am

Ha! I take your point boxty! Westwood has to ask himself if he wants to.be remembered as a modern day Monty or a major winner, no doubt he is a great player!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:17 am

bald eagle wrote:Ha! I take your point boxty! Westwood has to ask himself if he wants to.be remembered as a modern day Monty or a major winner, no doubt he is a great player!
Personally, I think there is far too much emphasis placed on majors when assessing someone's career.  Arrogant, insufferable bore though he is, Monty was a wonderful golfer with the most beautiful, natural swing.  He topped the European money list for 8 successive years, and was a colossus in the Ryder Cup.

Now compare his achievements to those Shaun Micheel, Ben Curtis, Todd Hamilton, Trevor Immelman, Larry Mize, Lucas Glover, Michael Campbell, Steve Jones, Scott Simpson, Rich Beem, Paul Lawrie, Yang Yong-Eun, Mark Brooks, Steve Elkington and Wayne Grady.  All those guys won a major over the last quarter century, yet many of them wouldn't even be household names in their own households.

Westwood, like Montgomerie before him, has been a brilliant golfer, and whether or not he wins a major shouldn't take away from that.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:41 am

Should a player of his stature and ability be happy to go without a major title though? It may not take away from his career but people and pundits will still point to the fact he hasn't won one, like Monty! That said, Tiger Woods is World No. 1 (and Westwood a former No 1) without a major win in years & since his little transgressions so that shows just how much majors mean in terms of being a world class golfer. He still has a chance, as you say Darren Clarke should be an inspiration to any majors nearly man!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:52 am

bald eagle wrote:Should a player of his stature and ability be happy to go without a major title though?
No, as a talented professional he should be aspiring to win those, but that doesn't mean that we should assess his career on that basis. For example, if Ian Poulter wins a USPGA title sometime, will we remember him for that, or for dragging his European team to victory against the americans in the Ryder Cup last year? Personally, I can't ever imagine him doing anything in a major that would compare to what he did last September.

Box-tickers will point to the lack of majors, but there is more to sport than that. Westwood, Monty and even Poulter have, in my opinion, had better careers than any of the names in mentioned in my previous post.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:58 pm

My current favourite golfer does it for me again! Cheers to Jason Day on winning me some cash from the bookies after his brilliant win at the weekend!!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:49 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Wonder when the pressure will get too much for McIllroy? Can see him holding it together until Sunday and then it'll fall apart.

Superb golf from McIlroy over the 4 days. He's long and brave when theres' open enough fairway, yet today displayed a Norn Iron cunning, realising when it mattered, that placement rather than length were what mattered. He's a great reader of the putting line in fairness, a worthy winner and likely to continue in this vein, hopefully, for many years.
The portly Biffo exemplified the motto of his predecessor Brian Cowen (F**k them) by finishing strongly.....

The Golf thread - Page 15 Food-s11X 18....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:40 am

In the rush to write off McIlroy, Puke, Loyal and others misjudged just how long it takes professional golfers to win on a regular basis. Unlike tennis, football, athletics or the likes, golfers generally don't really make it until they reach their 30s, and that prime lasts usually until they are about 40. They are often playing courses for the first time, and the constant travel takes its toll too. Then there is the pressure to technique ratio, perhaps unmatched in any other sport.

There have, of course been exceptions who have won at an early age, but they are very few, and the most prominant names on that list are Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods and now Rory McIlroy.

On form, McIlroy is the best golfer in the world, and will surely win more big tournaments in the years to come. He's just too good not to. I don't envisage him winning as many majors as either Nicklaus or Woods, partly because of the ever-increasing levels of competition, and partly because he doesn't have the insatiable hunger that Woods possesses (to be fair, who does?). McIlroy will have off weeks where he misses cuts, and down years where he mightn't challenge for a major, but his talent is such that he will occasionally explode to life and leave the rest of the game in his wake.

Fair play to him, he's only 25 and already has 3 different major titles to his name. The Masters will almost certainly follow before long, and he'll then be out on his own as Ireland's greatest ever sportsman. I'm sure even Puke will raise a glass to that!
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:34 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:In the rush to write off McIlroy, Puke, Loyal and others misjudged just how long it takes professional golfers to win on a regular basis.  Unlike tennis, football, athletics or the likes, golfers generally don't really make it until they reach their 30s, and that prime lasts usually until they are about 40.  They are often playing courses for the first time, and the constant travel takes its toll too.  Then there is the pressure to technique ratio, perhaps unmatched in any other sport.

There have, of course been exceptions who have won at an early age, but they are very few, and the most prominant names on that list are Jack Nicklaus, Tiger Woods and now Rory McIlroy.

On form, McIlroy is the best golfer in the world, and will surely win more big tournaments in the years to come.  He's just too good not to.  I don't envisage him winning as many majors as either Nicklaus or Woods, partly because of the ever-increasing levels of competition, and partly because he doesn't have the insatiable hunger that Woods possesses (to be fair, who does?).  McIlroy will have off weeks where he misses cuts, and down years where he mightn't challenge for a major, but his talent is such that he will occasionally explode to life and leave the rest of the game in his wake.

Fair play to him, he's only 25 and already has 3 different major titles to his name.  The Masters will almost certainly follow before long, and he'll then be out on his own as Ireland's greatest ever sportsman.  I'm sure even Puke will raise a glass to that!

Add the WGC to this now. USPGA this week….?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:24 pm

Hard to imagine a better leaderboard with a round to go. Should be a mighty evening of golf...

1 - Rory McIlroy -13
2 - Bernd Wiesberger-12
3 - Rickie Fowler -11
T4 - Phil Mickelson -10
T4 - Jason Day -10
T6 - Louis Oosthuizen -9
T6 - Henrik Stenson -9
T6 - Mikko Ilonen -9
T6 - Ryan Palmer -9
T10 - Jamie Donaldson -8
T10 - Graham DeLaet -8
T10 - Steve Stricker -8
T13 - Hunter Mahan -7
T13 - Adam Scott -7
T13 - Kevin Chappell -7
T13 - Lee Westwood -7
T13 - Joost Luiten -7
T13 - Jim Furyk -7
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:45 pm

Phil Mickelson in the groove - what a player to "grind it out". Beautiful swing and deadly from 100m.
Rory still in with a shout though.

In other news, lapsed poster The Puke has taken up the game across the water. Enjoying it apparently.
Boastful posts of staggering drives length-wise but some work to do on the short game yet.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:28 am

It's hard to imagine that McIlroy will have a better win than that in his entire career. When you consider the amount of top golfers he was facing, the physical and mental strain of everyone expecting him to win for the third successive outing, the fading light, falling from outright leader to 3 behind on the front nine, it's hard to conceive a more outstanding comeback.

The eagle on the 10th was Tiger-esque, producing his absolute best when the game was in the fire, while the birdie on 17th illustrated his newfound ability to drive home the nail when the chance presents itself.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next