SFC 2015

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Gaa_lover on Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:37 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:I guess we just disagree about what Cork have.  I don't rate them.  Michael Shields hasn't looked like a footballer since Canty, Kissane, O'Leary et al retired, while the O'Driscolls' own mother probably couldn't tell them apart, such is their mediocrity.  Donnacha O'Connor, Daniel Goulding and even Paul Kerrigan are all wll part it, and wouldn't make any other top side.  

As for the U21 success in Munster, they only pushed on to reach an AI final once, and lost it.  Cavan have been more impressive at that level, and it doesn't seem to be helping them much.

Tyrone in 2008, while not as good as 2003-5, beat a better Kerry side than the current one, as well as hammering 4 in a row Leinster winning Dublin team, so not sure how you contend that the remaining sides are at a different level.  If Dublin win the AI, I'd accept that they are.  Mayo, no.

We'll have to disagree on this one.  I just think that the supposed great talent level in Cork is a myth.

Like i said without a defensive system in place good defenders can look average to poor. For example before Jimmys winning matches arrived at Donegal they were getting beat by Antrim in Ulster well beaten by Armagh in the qualifiers and in 2009 hammered out the gate by Cork in Croke park. The McGees,Lacey etc were all playing for Donegal then but the shape of their defence was all over the place. The only top sides those Cork forwards would struggle to get on their team is Kerry,Dublin.

Cork have been there or thereabouts in each of those U-21 semi finals and the final they reached. For example they were unlucky to lose to Galway in 2011 Walsh going off injured changed the course of the game. Cavan are at a much lower base they have just rose from Div 3 after years down there and are now trying to build a senior team around those 4 in a row Ulster U-21 teams.

If Kerry win the AI this year it will be back to back AIs just like 06,07 debatable which side was/is better then. 2011 was Dublins first AI final since 1995 and they also shipped a heavy defeat in 09 to Kerry, it wasn't until Pat Gilroy got them organised did they become AI contenders. If Mayo win this years AI having beat Donegal,Dublin,Kerry on route they will be but i don't think many will be placing much cash on the bridesmaids to become the bride.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Thomas Clarke on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:59 pm

Goulding, O'Connor & Kerrigan wouldn't make the Tyrone side, nor Monaghan nor Donegal, never mind the big 3. They are all 5 years past it. Hurley wouldn't either, on 2015 form.

And it' very hard to argue that Kerry 2015 is better than Kerry 2008. Marc O'Se, Mahony, Young, Galvin, Cooper, Donaghy and O'Sullivan are all still there, yet all into their 30s now. None of them are what they were back then. Throw in Tomas, Dara, Declan O'Sullivan, McCarty & Tom O'Sullivan, and I'd take them over the current crop. Really can't agree with you on that score.

avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Gaa_lover on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:27 pm

I beg to differ Monaghan,Donegal,Tyrone are not exactly brimming with attacking talent. Hurley would be on par with the likes McBrearty,McCurry young and inconsistent.

I could look through the different Kerry teams individually going back to 80s which would be a different debate but as a unit this Kerry team are arguably up there with the 06,07 teams especially if they retain their All Ireland. Kerry under Fitzmaurice are ever improving especially in defence, they are able to win games without playing to their best which is always a good sign for any team, only Dublin can match them for strength in depth. They have the best midfield pairing around IMO and have pacy,skilled two footed forwards. They can play in most styles now and can be very physical if needed.


Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  champers on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:27 pm

Gaa_lover wrote:I beg to differ Monaghan,Donegal,Tyrone are not exactly brimming with attacking talent. Hurley would be on par with the likes McBrearty,McCurry young and inconsistent.

I could look through the different Kerry teams individually going back to 80s which would be a different debate but as a unit this Kerry team are arguably up there with the 06,07 teams especially if they retain their All Ireland.  Kerry under Fitzmaurice are ever improving especially in defence, they are able to win games without playing to their best which is always a good sign for any team, only Dublin can match them for strength in depth. They have the best midfield pairing around IMO and have pacy,skilled two footed forwards. They can play in most styles now and can be very physical if needed.


I would put this Kerry team on a par with there 97 team,no way is this a great kerry team and hopefully Dublin will fall over Mayo and get another crack at the kingdom.

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 181

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  champers on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:38 pm

Tc pre game i thought that Harte should have brought Cavanagh out to midfield and put Donnelly full forward early on.I think that would have put the cat amongst the pigeons and when you see the chances Tyrone missed it would have being interesting.Tyrone are on the right road they know how to dismiss the small counties with out much fuss so really its about getting the big scalp and moving on.

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 181

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Gaa_lover on Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:40 am

champers wrote:
Gaa_lover wrote:I beg to differ Monaghan,Donegal,Tyrone are not exactly brimming with attacking talent. Hurley would be on par with the likes McBrearty,McCurry young and inconsistent.

I could look through the different Kerry teams individually going back to 80s which would be a different debate but as a unit this Kerry team are arguably up there with the 06,07 teams especially if they retain their All Ireland.  Kerry under Fitzmaurice are ever improving especially in defence, they are able to win games without playing to their best which is always a good sign for any team, only Dublin can match them for strength in depth. They have the best midfield pairing around IMO and have pacy,skilled two footed forwards. They can play in most styles now and can be very physical if needed.


I would put this Kerry team on a par with there 97 team,no way is this a great kerry team and hopefully Dublin will fall over Mayo and get another crack at the kingdom.

1995 to 97 the standard and quality of the All Ireland winners was the lowest i have ever seen. Great Kerry teams was 78 to 81 or 84 to 86. The 2006,07 Kerry teams were good and if Kerry win another All Ireland this year they should be called good also.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Thomas Clarke on Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:50 pm

champers wrote:Tc pre game i thought that Harte should have brought Cavanagh out to midfield and put Donnelly full forward early on.I think that would have put the cat amongst the pigeons and when you see the chances Tyrone missed it would have being interesting.Tyrone are on the right road they know how to dismiss the small counties with out much fuss so really its about getting the big scalp and moving on.

Yeah, I agree, Mickey was very conservative with his gameplan.  Even the subs, he only made 4, and only McNulty was a newcomer.  Donnelly played very well at FF in the early league games last year, but was moved back as our defence struggled.  He can pretty much play anywhere but, I agree, that his power and pace would've given Kerry something to think about, and freed Sean up to get more involved out the field.

I watched the television coverage for the first time tonight, and we really weren't far away.  Kerry were more clinical, particularly in the key moments, but they never had a sniff of goal and caught every break going from Deegan.  I really think that Dublin will beat Kerry in the final.

I also agree about Tyrone needing to take a big scalp.  Although there may not be any big scalps left in Ulster anymore, an Ulster title next year should still be targeted as a moral boosting stepping stone.  Armagh, Tyrone and Donegal all won a couple of Ulsters before winning their first AI titles this century.  Also promotion from division 2 is a must.

Now, if only this lad would begin to get homesick.....!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Thomas Clarke on Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:25 am

Good interview on Tuesday night with Mickey on Teamtalk. He sounded more relaxed, open and less guarded than he normally is when throwing out soundbites.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Thomas Clarke on Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:37 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that the Dubs could end up winning very easily tomorrow?  Not sure why, but I just have a feeling that they are going to start very quickly. Mayo may have been flattered by how they looked against a tired Donegal side.
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Joethedoc on Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:43 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:Am I the only one who thinks that the Dubs could end up winning very easily tomorrow?  Not sure why, but I just have a feeling that they are going to start very quickly.  Mayo may have been flattered by how they looked against a tired Donegal side.

Possible, but very unlikely I'd say. I expect a cagey start by both and for the final result to be decided by 2-3 points.

Joethedoc
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

Sligo
Number of posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Gaa_lover on Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:08 am

2011 against Kerry since Mayo were easily beaten in the championship and two meetings between the two since then only one score separated the sides. If easily beaten it will probably spell the beginning of the end for this group of Mayo players.

One thing I have found interesting is how the Dubs have kept a low profile going into this semi final compared to last year when hyped up as unbeatable. I hope this game lives up to its high expectations.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Gaa_lover on Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:18 pm

Poor game for 60 mins but exciting finish thanks mostly to Mayo not giving up a tough teak side, The introduction of the two Morans changed the course of the game.

Connolly out of the replay unless the Dubs find a way to get him off again, Mayo can't afford to be as wasteful from play again. Both fully tested now and the extra game will be needed before facing Kerry.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Thomas Clarke on Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:50 pm

Dreadful, start-stop game, albeit with an exciting finish. Mayo were pathetic, going 60 minutes during which they only scored once from play. Their lone tactic of hoofing it into O'Shea was junior football stuff.

It was a nasty, spiteful game too, and the Dubs in particular will be spending some time in disciplinary hearings this week. I wonder will The Sunday Game be as scathing on them as they were on Tyrone....

Not sure how Cillian O'Connor didn't get MOTM from SKY. It may have been all from frees, but 1-9 is a hell of a return in a tight game.
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Boxtyeater on Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:28 pm

I'm in broad agreement with all here in that it was a spiteful contest and some ought rightfully await the findings with trepidation. These include Cooper, McMahon and Slugger (again). Mayo were hardly behind the ditch either in fairness but have become more adept at the art of disguise. None of their forwards made an impact, McLoughlin and Doherty were well off the pace so were I the management team I'd consider starting Andy Moran and seeing could I get 50 minutes out of him.

Dublin looked very ordinary. Brogan and Rock were easily contained, Flynn is out of form entirely and Connolly has had better games. But they'll regroup, report a siege mentality, mutter about "injuries" and go at it hard again on Saturday. They will be without the services of Joe McQuillan however and God forbid Marty Duffy gets the gig....
avatar
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6970

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Gaa_lover on Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:57 am

Eddie Kinsella the ref for the replay he does regularly give frees without any fouls hasn't a clue on the black card rule and is card happy. Having watched back the videos it was C O Connor that got Connolly sent off if some Dublin player did the same with O Connor when he took O Carroll out he would also be sent off.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Thomas Clarke on Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:53 am

Gaa_lover wrote: Having watched back the videos it was C O Connor that got Connolly sent off if some Dublin player did the same with O Connor when he took O Carroll out he would also be sent off.

It wasn't O'Connor who got Connolly sent off. It was Connolly who got himself sent off, for throwing a punch.

On any footage that I've seen, COC's back-hander to O'Carroll is much less clear cut, so I don't expect him to be banned. Additionally, I doubt if McMahon or Cooper will miss Saturday's game either. Connolly's suspension will probably stick.
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Gaa_lover on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:14 pm

It was an off the ball incident that was started by Keegan then it was O Connor that jumped in and then got the attention of the officials to send Connolly off it all looked pre-planned to me knowing full well Connolly is a hot head if it didn't happen Connolly probably would have taken that last free and win the game for Dublin.

Cillan O Connor and Cooper were extremely lucky to avoid reds it seems the CCCC are taking no further action with the many other incidents Connolly a one ban that Dublin will likely appeal he punched and got off before as did Kevin Keane.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Thomas Clarke on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:19 pm

Gaa_lover wrote:It was an off the ball incident that was started by Keegan then it was O Connor that jumped in and then got the attention of the officials to send Connolly off it all looked pre-planned to me knowing full well Connolly is a hot head if it didn't happen Connolly probably would have taken that last free and win the game for Dublin.

I saw another angle yesterday that made the initial tumble to the ground look more like 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. Even if it was Keegan who instigated it, that type of things happens constantly in games at this level. Connolly punched, and should have known better.

I find it amusing that the top 5-6 sides can all breeze past poor opposition without any foul play, yet once they meet each other in August, they are all as bad as each other when it comes to fouling, cheating and more. The nice guy masks are all off at this time of year.
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Thomas Clarke on Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:37 pm

No word from Champers this week - obviously busy spearheading the DC appeal case.

Would also be good to get an update on Rory O'Carroll. Will concussion mean that he is definitely out? Or will we find that he wasn't really concussed after all and, therefore, eligible to play?

If they are unavailable, those would be 2 huge losses to Dublin.
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  champers on Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:59 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:No word from Champers this week - obviously busy spearheading the DC appeal case.  

Would also be good to get an update on Rory O'Carroll.  Will concussion mean that he is definitely out? Or will we find that he wasn't really concussed after all and, therefore, eligible to play?

If they are unavailable, those would be 2 huge losses to Dublin.

the appeal is ongoing rory will be ok was not concussed dermot is in the melting pot

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 181

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  champers on Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:01 am

If Dermot misses Saturday i would just put Kev Mc at 11 problem solved nothing drastic needed for now

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 181

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Boxtyeater on Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:56 pm

avatar
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6970

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Boxtyeater on Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:59 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Mayo, you gotta love them....
avatar
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6970

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Thomas Clarke on Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:51 am

champers wrote:If Dermot misses Saturday i would just put Kev Mc at 11 problem solved nothing drastic needed for now

Connolly cleared to play by DRA. I'm guessing the comparison to the bizarre rescinding of Kevin Keane's red card was a central point of the argument. Perhaps Mayo are now regretting appealing a just red for a substitute full-back....
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Gaa_lover on Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:09 pm

Mayo fairly lost their way after going 4 points up in that second half, 2 goals in as many minutes and the strength of the Dublin bench the difference in the end today. Thankfully a decent game of football broke out today you wouldn't even know Connolly was playing at all.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum