SFC 2015

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  champers on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:59 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Reports on Twitter than Tiernan McCann's ludicrous ban has been overturned.  Kevin Keane's red card downgraded to a yellow.

Both free to play in semi finals.  What a complete and utter joke the CCCC is.  I hope that apologies follow the red faces.

Anyway, time to move on and win an AI semi-final...

#Je suis Tiernan

Can tyrone win on sunday?

Would love to play them in a final once we overcome mayo/i mean o'shea sunday week

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 181

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater on Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:07 am

Gaa_lover wrote:
On what grounds was that downgraded? a clear striking action to the face is normally a straight red.

Comes under the "Yerrah" ruling allegedly.

Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6970

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater on Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:11 am

champers wrote:

Would love to play them in a final once we overcome mayo/i mean o'shea sunday week

Why not, Kerry's defence are suspect allegedly.....Poor mouthing and "yerrah" are their trademarks. Ye'll get ye're fill of it from the Rhubarbs....

Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6970

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:09 am

Mylers's shocking black card also rescinded.  

It seems my initial post was premature re. McCann.  His hearing went on into the small hours.  The lad would have been home at c.3.30am, and up for work at 7am.  Hardly ideal preparation for match on Sunday.  Kerry, as so often, are the winners in all this.

Tyrone can certainly win on Sunday.  As I said after the Monaghan game, we'll be the first real live opponents that they've met so far.  I'd concede that we are underdogs, but odds of 7/2 for a Tyrone win look extremely generous.

Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Post  champers on Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:44 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
champers wrote:

Why not, Kerry's defence are suspect allegedly.....Poor mouthing and "yerrah" are their trademarks. Ye'll get ye're fill of it from the Rhubarbs....

Did you see the kerry full forward line scary.Boxty its just like we owe Tyrone 1 rub there noses in it in front of 82.000 on All Ireland day.But i guess we will have to settle for Kerry once Dublin get the better of the new Mick O Connell Aidan O Shea

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  champers on Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:50 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Mylers's shocking black card also rescinded.  

It seems my initial post was premature re. McCann.  His hearing went on into the small hours.  The lad would have been home at c.3.30am, and up for work at 7am.  Hardly ideal preparation for match on Sunday.  Kerry, as so often, are the winners in all this.

Tyrone can certainly win on Sunday.  As I said after the Monaghan game, we'll be the first real live opponents that they've met so far.  I'd concede that we are underdogs, but odds of 7/2 for a Tyrone win look extremely generous.

Its funny how the championship can bring so much optimism till sunday 5.40 and then its gone for another year fitzmaurice has hit the ground running in every match the kingdom have played under him in croker wonder how the red hands will weather the early storm

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:33 pm

champers wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:Mylers's shocking black card also rescinded.  

Its funny how the championship can bring so much optimism till sunday 5.40 and then its gone for another year   fitzmaurice has hit the ground running in every match the kingdom have played under him in croker wonder how the red hands will weather the early storm

Kerry have started like a train in almost every match since their AI run of 2000. It's what they do. Hold them for 20 minutes, and then you have a chance. Tyrone have done this before.

Fitzmaurice is worried about Tyrone's pace, hence his changes. Crowley and Buckley are both much quicker than O'Mahony and Sheehan. And 4 positional changes in defence. Always encouraging to see the opposition worry so much about you...

Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:23 pm

It's been a funny year.  Until a fortnight ago, there was little interest in the Tyrone senior footballers, even within our own county.  Tyrone support was poor at matches, even in the Qtr final, where I barely spotted a Tyrone jersey amidst a sea of tops from Mayo, Monaghan and Donegal.  However, that all changed when the CCCC went and made a martyr out of Tiernan McCann, and suddenly all anyone here is talking about is beating Kerry and thus sticking it to that shower at RTE.

I thought that Tyrone were very poor against Meath, but the games against Tipp and Sligo both showed signs of improvement, particularly in attack.  I was very confident we'd beat Monaghan and, as expected, we did so easily, moreso than the 4 point margin suggests.

Which brings us to Kerry.  How good are they?  Are they the side who needed all the luck in the world to beat Mayo last year, and required 2 efforts to get past a poor Cork side this summer, or are they the galaxy of star names that looked unbeatable when handing Kildare the mother of all hammerings last time out?  Most people obviously believe the latter, as evidenced by the incredible odds of 7/2 available on Tyrone.

My concerns for Tyrone are really based around unknowns.  Can an U21 as small as Mark Bradley be effective in the modern game?  Is Conor Meyler, with less than 140 total minutes of senior intercounty football under his best, able to make the huge leap that will be required tomorrow?  Is the improvement that I've seen in Darren McCurry and Conor McAliskey real, or are they still hit and miss?  Are McNabb, McCrory, McCann and McNamee better now than they were 12 months ago, or are they just being protected by an extra sweeper? Who will organise the defence in Joey McMahon's absence?

On the other hand, if these lads (most of them in their early 20s) really have come on, be it through experience or the great work that Peter Donnelly has done since taking over as S&C coach this year, then we'll fancy our chances of giving Kerry their fill of it.  I believe than Tyrone will be faster, more organised and mentally tougher than any side Kerry have played so far this summer.  In the likes of Peter Harte and Mattie Donnelly, we have players whose pace and direct running Eamon Fitzmaurice fears, evidenced by his inclusion of Crowley & Buckley ahead of the slower O'Mahony & Sheehan.  McCurry and McAliskey have looked so sharp of late - they are quick onto the ball, and kick/release just as fast - while Big Sean had his best game of the year against Monaghan.

Overall, I acknowledge that Kerry are worthy favourites, and they have a team full of star names.  However, Tyrone look physically and mentally better than at any time this decade, so I'll be travelling to Dublin with confidence.

Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive on Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:34 pm

Can't really support Tyrone this weekend. While I agree that McCann's suspension was a joke, the lack of willingness of Tyrone GAA people to admit that they have deep-rooted cultural issues in their football setup is disappointing. Only Tyrone people can get rid of the "bad smell", no one else.

RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:24 pm

RMDrive wrote:Can't really support Tyrone this weekend. While I agree that McCann's suspension was a joke, the lack of willingness of Tyrone GAA people to admit that they have deep-rooted cultural issues in their football setup is disappointing. Only Tyrone people can get rid of the "bad smell", no one else.

Disappointing RMD, but Bocerty and I will be happy to take this journey alone.  We're all well aware now what the rest of the country think of us.  

Still, I take it you'll not be supporting Kerry either, what with Donaghy's sledging, Gooch & O'Donoghue's diving, Galvin's nastiness, O'Mahony's feigning injury, Fitzmaurice's defensive cynicism....or does it not smell as bad when it's dressed up in green and gold?

(P.S. Welcome back!)

Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive on Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:31 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
RMDrive wrote:Can't really support Tyrone this weekend. While I agree that McCann's suspension was a joke, the lack of willingness of Tyrone GAA people to admit that they have deep-rooted cultural issues in their football setup is disappointing. Only Tyrone people can get rid of the "bad smell", no one else.

Disappointing RMD, but Bocerty and I will be happy to take this journey alone.  We're all well aware now what the rest of the country think of us.  

Still, I take it you'll not be supporting Kerry either, what with Donaghy's sledging, Gooch & O'Donoghue's diving, Galvin's nastiness, O'Mahony's feigning injury, Fitzmaurice's defensive cynicism....or does it not smell as bad when it's dressed up in green and gold?

(P.S. Welcome back!)

Well honesty begins at home and I need to start by acknowledging the diving, sledging, nastiness etc that Donegal are well able to hold their own in.
But honestly TC, I think that there's a major shift needed in Tyrone. I haven't seen any Tyrone person acknowledge the prevalence in issues that seems to follow your teams around. Time to forget about he whataboutery and have an honest look in the mirror.

RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive on Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:31 pm

And thanks! Very Happy

RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR on Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:34 pm

Enjoyable game in horrific conditions. On balance Kerry deserved it. Tyrone can feel a bit hard done by with some of the decisions - the foul on gooch early in second half and the 45 costing them two scores. Might feel hard done by on second penalty but I've seen the first one passed over too.

Kerry managed to get scores at all key moments - point before half time and scored both times in second half after Tyrone levelled - some good calls from the line - pushing up on Morgan's kick outs when they paid early dividend in first half and introduction of Geaney.

Ultimately though Tyrone fell short of some key components to be able to come out on top of tight defensive games
1) goal chances not taken which has been a similar story in their battles v Donegal in recent years
2) plan B on kick outs if the short option is under pressure - possibly cavanagh should have come out as an option
3) someone who can reliably kick a 45 metre free - they were 1 from 5 from that range and 1 from 2 inside - Kerry missed one by my count - a keeper having a bad day at the office on a wet surface shouldn't be plan A

Kerry got 18 scores on a bad day against a defensive team with limited scores from their inside 3 which is impressive but Dublin or Donegal on their day would have scored 3 goals today with that amount of inside possession which must be a worry albeit without o Se to marshal proceedings

OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3143

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover on Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:47 pm

Tyrone like in their last All Ireland semi final two years ago against Mayo will be left with ifs buts and maybes however their free taking was atrocious and you could see today why they hadn't scored a championship goal in Croke park for 4 years and it was goals that were needed to cause an upset. A decent effort by Tyrone but i should note Cork got closer to beating Kerry this summer.

Kerry weren't at their best but didn't need to be and always seem to have that extra gear to win. Donaghy,Moran,O Donoghue were way off top fitness today all 3 should be in better shape for the final.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Post  champers on Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:47 pm

Interesting game today this was a game that kerry just couldn't lose and there play reflected that,there is a pure venom in Tyrone's play today that was consistent with the 00s.Sadly Tyrone believe that sledging and negative tactics are still the way to win Sam.

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:44 am

Gaa_lover wrote:A decent effort by Tyrone but i should note Cork got closer to beating Kerry this summer.

Slightly different standard in the 2 games, and in the fitness/performance of Kerry.

Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:02 pm

My thoughts:

- Great to see a huge and vocal Tyrone crowd there. Far and away the best Tyrone support I've seen since 2008. Tiernan McCann got a huge reception when his name was announced.

- Kerry were deserving winners, and just about the better side. They didn't have to work quite as hard for their scores, and always nudged a point or 2 in front when needed. Their ability to get the ball into the Tyrone scoring zone was particularly impressive.

- Having said that, Tyrone had the chances to win it. We spurned some good goal chances, missed far too many frees, and we gifted them 4-5 points with horrific kickouts.

- Kerry also got the rub of the green on the big calls from Deegan. Oddly, I wasn't as upset about this as a lot of others seem to be, as I never expected anything different from him. The ridiculous yellow card for McNulty smacked of a man auditioning for an AI final job.

- Tyrone's big names were very kept quiet. Harte and Sean Cavanagh were completely blotted out, while Mattie Donnelly's best work was confined to defensive duties.

- Kerry had much more strength in depth, with Geeney, Keane and O'Sullivan all causing problems. Tyrone made just 4 changes, and only McNulty made any impact. This was telling in the final minutes.

- Overall, a high quality game in very difficult conditions. Tyrone, with only 5 panelists over the age of 27, will feel very optimistic about the next couple of years. As for Kerry's final prospects, the big questions are around team selection. Some of their stalwarts like O'Se, Donaghy and (dare I say it) even Cooper are not playing well, and the likes of Fitzgerald, Keane, Geeney and O'Sullivan will have to be seriously considered.

- What is it with Croke Park not letting anyone into the ground until an hour before throw in? This is always the case, and I put it down to saving money on stewards/guards. Yesterday, it was pouring rain, and I'm sure most people would've appreciated getting inside a bit earlier, rather than standing outside the turnstiles.getting drenched.

Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover on Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:36 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Gaa_lover wrote:A decent effort by Tyrone but i should note Cork got closer to beating Kerry this summer.

Slightly different standard in the 2 games, and in the fitness/performance of Kerry.  
Cork v Kerry July 5th Munster final was widely acknowledged as one of the games of the year a high standard contest. The turkey shoot against Kildare did not bring on Kerry like a close competitive game would have and the Kerry performance yesterday won't be good enough to beat Dublin or Mayo in the All Ireland final.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:20 pm

Gaa_lover wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

Cork v Kerry July 5th Munster final was widely acknowledged as one of the games of the year a high standard contest. The turkey shoot against Kildare did not bring on Kerry like a close competitive game would have and the Kerry performance yesterday won't be good enough to beat Dublin or Mayo in the All Ireland final.

Sorry, but if you think, and you do, because you've insinuated it before, that Cork are a better side than Tyrone, or in anyway put the frighteners on Kerry in that meaningless game, you're very mistaken. Cork are disorganised, spiritless and lacking in talent.

Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:05 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Gaa_lover wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

Sorry, but if you think, and you do, because you've insinuated it before, that Cork are a better side than Tyrone, or in anyway put the frighteners on Kerry in that meaningless game, you're very mistaken.  Cork are disorganised, spiritless and lacking in talent.

A provincial title to be won quarter final place on offer and a chance to beat Kerry in Killarney. That is far from meaningless. Disorganised, spiritless would be down mostly to management Cork certainly don't lack in talent. If Mickey Harte was manager of Cork he would win the All Ireland with them in comparison he won't do that with the current Tyrone team/panel because Tyrone simply aren't at the level of 03,05 or 08.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:37 pm

3 things:

1) You are correct, Tyrone are not at the level of their AI winning sides - is anyone at that level presently?

2) The Munster final counts for nothing, as evidenced by Kerry's losses to Cork over the years, only to roar back and win an AI. The replay was more important, as it meant there would be no 7 day turnaround. Kerry made sure to win that one.

3) Cork wouldn't win a AI title with anyone in charge. Can you name me 1 decent defender they have? Who is their midfield? And up front, they have Colm O'Neill, Mark Collins and a completely out of form Brian Hurley - that's it. A totally over-rated squad, who have little of the talent of their 2009/10 vintage.

Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  champers on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:26 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Gaa_lover wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

Sorry, but if you think, and you do, because you've insinuated it before, that Cork are a better side than Tyrone, or in anyway put the frighteners on Kerry in that meaningless game, you're very mistaken.  Cork are disorganised, spiritless and lacking in talent.

Think your a bit hard on cork i believe its widely accepted cork were without doubt top dogs against kerry in the initial match,they threw in the towel after that ONLY THEY KNOW why.Its a long rd back and there is no guarantee tyrone will be there next year all your thoughts are optimism and nothing else.

Can you explain why cavanagh was taking off frees within the 45

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:35 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:3 things:

1)  You are correct, Tyrone are not at the level of their AI winning sides - is anyone at that level presently?

2) The Munster final counts for nothing, as evidenced by Kerry's losses to Cork over the years, only to roar back and win an AI.  The replay was more important, as it meant there would be no 7 day turnaround.  Kerry made sure to win that one.

3)  Cork wouldn't win a AI title with anyone in charge.  Can you name me 1 decent defender they have?  Who is their midfield?  And up front, they have Colm O'Neill, Mark Collins and a completely out of form Brian Hurley - that's it.  A totally over-rated squad, who have little of the talent of their 2009/10 vintage.

1) Whoever wins the All Ireland this September will be at the level of Tyrone 2008 if not above.

2) When the qualifiers were introduced (2001) Galway,Cork,Kerry,Tyrone all won the All Ireland after losing in their province however less and less teams are now recovering from losing in their province you have to go back 5 years since a side even reached the All Ireland final via the back door. Kerry were lucky to get replay in the Munster final and if they lost they probably would have ended up playing Dublin the quarter final and already out.

3) Disagree the talent is there and they have won 4 of the last 5 Munster U-21 titles a good manager will get the best of out them. Michael Shields winner of 2 All Stars is decent enough the O’Driscolls are decent enough also and any defender can look average to poor without a proper defensive system in place.

Aidan Walsh who should return from hurling and Ian Maguire who should return from injury should form their midfield next year and both are natural midfielders unlike some other counties playing forwards in midfield. Donncha O’Connor,Kerrigan,Goulding are a few other forwards and latter hasn't seen many of starts of late, if he (Goulding) was for playing Tyrone on Sunday he would have converted most of the frees that Morgan and McCurry missed.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:07 am

I guess we just disagree about what Cork have. I don't rate them. Michael Shields hasn't looked like a footballer since Canty, Kissane, O'Leary et al retired, while the O'Driscolls' own mother probably couldn't tell them apart, such is their mediocrity. Donnacha O'Connor, Daniel Goulding and even Paul Kerrigan are all wll part it, and wouldn't make any other top side.

As for the U21 success in Munster, they only pushed on to reach an AI final once, and lost it. Cavan have been more impressive at that level, and it doesn't seem to be helping them much.

Tyrone in 2008, while not as good as 2003-5, beat a better Kerry side than the current one, as well as hammering 4 in a row Leinster winning Dublin team, so not sure how you contend that the remaining sides are at a different level. If Dublin win the AI, I'd accept that they are. Mayo, no.

We'll have to disagree on this one. I just think that the supposed great talent level in Cork is a myth.

Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:22 am

champers wrote:
Its a long rd back and there is no guarantee tyrone will be there next year all your thoughts are optimism  and nothing else.

Can you explain why cavanagh was taking off frees within the 45

The optimism part is very fair and I accept that there is no reason to assume we will improve.  Still, here are the reasons why I'd be hopeful:

1) From 2004-2014, Tyrone were trained by Fergal McCann.  Although he started well, I don't think that we have been properly fit in the last few years, and the training supposedly became very monotonous.  In 2015 we've had Peter Donnelly as S&C coach, the same Peter Donnelly who had the successful Cavan underage sides of the previous 4 years.  Tyrone have never looked faster, and the players are finally starting to bulk up.  I'm hopeful that year 2 under Donnelly will see us start to get up to the level of Mayo/Dublin in terms of S&C.

2) This is a young Tyrone squad.  Only 5 players on the panel are over 27 (2 Cavanaghs, 2 McMahons & McCarron), and only 2 (Sean & Joey) are over 30.  4 of our forwards on Sunday were 23 or under, and 2 of them (Bradley & Meyler, both of whom were excellent) wouldn't have played 6 full senior games between them yet, in any competition.  The subs are almost all young and raw, and there are 4-5 more AI U21 winners to be added in January.  I know that is a lot of 'ifs', but I think that there are enough good young players to expect that a few will make the jump.

I do acknowledge that we were very fortunate with injuries this year, and may not get that luck again next year.

3) Tyrone, with their 3 best players misfiring and a referee giving us nothing, were still very close to making an AI final.  Kerry were the better side, but Tyrone had 4 good goal chances, none of which were converted.  We also had a penalty wrongly denied that could have put us 2 points up with 5 minutes left.  Perhaps a bit like Kerry v Dublin in the 2013 semi, we put it up to them for 65 minutes with a young team, but strength in depth and a bit more experience told in the end.

4) The freekicking situation is very frustrating, and has been for years.  Cavanagh doesn't seem to hit them anymore, though, to be fair, they were all on the right hand side, and you wouldn't have fancied him from there.  45s off the ground were never Sean's thing.  McCurry kicked extremely well against Monaghan and Sligo, and just had a bad day under pressure.  Morgan is more concerning, as he is very talented (as evidenced by his massive free in the 1st half), but the occasion does seem to get to him.  From the left, McAliskey is hit and miss.  I agree with you, that it is an area that we need to improve upon if we are to take another step forward.

Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top