SFC 2015

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  champers on Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:21 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Random musings on what I've seen over the last few weeks:

- Dublin's dominance within their province is reaching historic levels.  In 8 games under Gavin, their closest margin of victory was 7 points, and the average is 15.  While I'd agree with their raging hot favouritism for Sam, I'd offer FF line as evidence for caution.  Bernard is not the player he was, Costello and Mannion aren't pushing on, O'Gara is injured, Andrews is average and McMenamin is hit and miss.  So far, the possession they win throughout the side has meant this isn't an issue, but the top couple of teams may pose more questions when the pressure ratchets up.

- Westmeath's comeback to beat Meath for the first time was stirring stuff.  John Heslin is a very fine footballer, but Meath gave him far too much space.  The reverse was true in the first half, as schoolboy defending from Westmeath almost allowed the Royals to build an unassailable lead.  I'd fear an almighty hiding is coming in the Leinster final.

- Meath were what they have been for years.  Flashy at times with fast, skillful forwards, but lacking in bottle and fitness.  Their conditioning in recent times has long appeared to be 10 years behind the top sides.

-  Kerry need to get their best side fit.  Cooper and O'Donoghue aren't at the pace of the game yet but, in that regard, the replay against Cork could be a blessing.  Elsewhere in attack, BJ Keane is an average player and O'Brien looks a bit one-sided to me, so I'm unsure as to how anyone would be starting them ahead of Paul Geaney.  

- Considering he is a defender, Fionn Fitzgerald's equalising point was one of the finest you'll ever see under pressure.  Serious cajones.

- Cork battled bravely against Kerry, but I don't think they have enough good players to mount an AI challenge.  

- Sligo were superb against Roscommon in a very entertaining match, but they won't threaten Mayo in the slightest.  In fact, they won't win another game this summer.

- For all their underage success in Ulster, Cavan have produced very few footballers of note.  Their tame exit to Roscommon was a 70 minute comparison of how much more talent the Rossie's will have available to work with in the coming years.  

- Down did well in reaching division 1 this season but, unless they aim to peak in February/March, they'll struggle badly there.  Antrim aside, they are perhaps the weakest team in Ulster right now.

- Armagh v Galway and Tyrone v Meath are 2 very interesting games this weekend.  The Ulster sides will be favoured at home, but it would be no surprise to me to see 2 upsets.  The northern neighbours struggle to core and, if they fall behind early, you'd fancy the southerners in an ensuing shootout.

- Tyrone were dreadful against Limerick, lacking any penetration or incisiveness.  We've scored more than 12 times only twice in our last 10 games, and we've failed to win any of our last 7 home matches against division 1 or 2 opposition.  If we are as poor again, Meath will win on Saturday.  Either way, our summer won't run much longer, and the end of the Harte era must surely be imminent.

- While I hope Michael Lyster recovers quickly from his heart-attack, Daragh Maloney is doing a great job as his replacement on The Sunday Game.  He did more to control Brolly last weekend that Lyster has done in 15 years.

- It's a real shame that SKY aren't showing a qualifier this weekend, as their football coverage has been outstanding so far.  Carney and Wyse are upbeat anchors, while Peter Canavan and Jimmy McGuinness are providing tactical masterclasses as analysts.


Tc mannion has being in china since september 14 costello has being unlucky with injuries still only 20 plenty time as for the other average players i bet mickey would like to have them starting for tyrone the weekend exceptional footballers would get a game with any of the top 4 counties behind the dubs.serious team for the westmeath game getting close now to our best 15 for 15

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 181

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Thomas Clarke on Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:42 am

champers wrote:
Tc mannion has being in china since september 14 costello has being unlucky with injuries still only 20 plenty time as for the other average players i bet mickey would like to have them starting for tyrone the weekend exceptional footballers would get a game with any of the top 4 counties behind the dubs.serious team for the westmeath game getting close now to our best 15 for 15

I know Mannion has been away, was more a point about him not having built on his great 2013 season and become a real star of the game. Costello has had chances, but the little clip of the Derry game that Canavan showed on the SKY pad before the Donegal/Derry game was telling. As Derry packed their defence, Brogan roamed across the field looking for space, but ultimately had nowhere to go, as Costello was rooted to his corner. Not sure if he is as fast of thought as he is of foot.

I think that Dublin will win the AI but, if they don't, I suspect it will be the inside forward line that malfunctions. You don't need to compare to Tyrone - it's Donegal, Mayo and Kerry that you need to think about.

And Tyrone could do with much more than just those 3....
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Thomas Clarke on Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:43 pm

Some more thoughts:

- Dublin weren't at their best against Westmeath, yet still won by 13. Their 3 years under Gavin have seen an average winning margins of 15.5 points per game, and no side has got closer than 7 points (Meath in 2013 final). No county has ever been more dominant within their province over a 3 year period.

- I heard someone say that this was Stephen Cuxton's 11th Leinster title. Although I can't imagine he will play much longer, both he and the Dubs are good enough to get to 15 or 16 if he really wanted to.

- Westmeath will find Fermanagh a tough proposition. Pete McGrath has them playing with a lot of spirit, and scoring 6 points in the last 5 minutes to beat Roscommon will have given them huge self-belief.

- Has their ever been a less-heralded top manager than Peter McGrath? In addition to his AI senior titles with Down, he also has Ulster/AI minor titles, and has now taken Fermanagh into division 2 and the last 12 of the champinship. His name is never mentioned when top jobs come around, and even his own county snubbed him a few years ago. I don't understand how he isn't held in much higher esteem by the average gael.

- Roscommon are soft. I saw it in the U21 semi final against Tyrone, and Sligo & Fermanagh have proven it this summer. They have some very talented young players, but they'll need more grit if they are to back up John Evans' promise of an AI over the next few years.

- Tyrone v Meath was brutal for 50 minutes. Tyrone led 2 points to zero after 26 minutes, we looked to be heading for defeat before Harte's penalty. The last 15 minutes saw both sides play some excellent football as desperation began to take hold, but it's such a shame that neither showed more ambition prior to that. Special mention goes to Bocerty's clubmen, Tiernan McCann and Mark Bradley, as without them Tyrone's summer would be over.

- Of the 6 possibilities available to Tyrone in the qualifier draw, Tipperary away was the one I least wanted. It's a long trip and, with Tipp scoring for fun against Louth, this one has upset written all over it. Galway or Derry, while tougher on paper, would have presented a more familiar challenge and may have focused the minds more. Playing as nervously and restrainedly as we are, I'm worried about this one.

- So much in life is how you paint things. Mickey dropped Tiernan McCann and Darren McCurry in order to play Richie Donnelly and Barry Tierney. At half-time, Donnelly and Tierney were taken off, and McCann and McCurry came on, both making impacts. When praised by journalists, Mickey was happy to take credit for his masterstroke substitutions, yet it would have been as valid to ask why he got his selection so wrong in the first instance.

- Kildare have done well to get back on track following their annihilation by the Dubs. Neither Cork nor Kerry will really fancy a 6 day turnaround against them, thus adding to the importance of winning the Munster title this weekend.
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  bocerty on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:37 pm

So much in life is how you paint things. Mickey dropped Tiernan McCann and Darren McCurry in order to play Richie Donnelly and Barry Tierney. At half-time, Donnelly and Tierney were taken off, and McCann and McCurry came on, both making impacts. When praised by journalists, Mickey was happy to take credit for his masterstroke substitutions, yet it would have been as valid to ask why he got his selection so wrong in the first instance.

a very valid point TC - Mickey seems to be going for damage limitation teams in the outset and then if he thinks he can squeeze a result he makes a change or two and prays they work, but as you say no one questions why he made these decisions in the first place.

My club men done well in fairness - wasnt at the game - still cant bare to watch the drivel served up by most teams now days - but didnt listen to some of it on TeamTalk - Bradley was the only one doing anything in the first half and MCCann certainly turned things on their head when he came on - pleased for the lads that they are getting game time and young Bradley is making a real impression.

If we under estimated Meath i hate to think what way we will present ourselves against Tipp, the U21 final will still be fresh in a few folks minds down there so the reception might not be tara either!!!!!

_________________
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
avatar
bocerty
Moderator
Moderator

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5920
Age : 43

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  bocerty on Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:15 pm

only 6 remain and this time next week it will be down to 4. Based on what i saw over the weekend it will be the 4 provincial winners left to battle out for the ultimate prize in Gaelic football.


Wasnt overly impressed with how Tyrone dealt with Sligo at all - we conceded too many easy scores and i doubt if Hickey has had a handier day reffing in his life. There was no physicality worth talking about and by god we will get plenty of that next week. McCurry had a good game as did young Bradley others who i thought played well were Harte McNabb and Tiernan McCann, but we lack a physical presence - plenty of guys who are flying machines but will struggle in the remainder of the championship games however many that is.

Donegal didnt do much to make me think they can win SAM and if the rumours of Murphys groin injury are true then its lights out for them guys because without him they arent the same force.

Best team of the weekend were Kerry - the strength and depth them have in the squad is frightening and they are going to be hard to stop, Dublin unconvincing again and to ship 2-14 against Fermanagh is bound to be giving Jim a few headaches.

Special mention to Fermanagh who fought to the the end unlike Kildare who gave up after 15 minutes.

_________________
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
avatar
bocerty
Moderator
Moderator

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5920
Age : 43

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Thomas Clarke on Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:01 pm

Thoughts on last weekend:

- Tyrone v Sligo was a challenge match, though that suited Tyrone who have a big physical battle in store this weekend.

- Tyrone look very good when attacking at times, and the whole squad look faster than I've seen this year. We still have a few passengers and too many small players, but Croke Park suits us. We won't be winning an AI, but Monaghan won't have it easy on Saturday.

- How did Sean Cavanagh get MOTM from Dara O'Se? The same Dara O'Se who gave Ryan Jones the award of Thomas Corrigan when Fermanagh beat Westmeath. You have to wonder does this man actually watch the game - Cavanagh was very wasteful, both with poor shooting and failing to pass to better placed teammates.

- Donegal were struggling for 55 minutes, and then look outstanding for the last quarter. I'd fear for them next week, though. Their injury-troubled squad have had 2 tough games in the last 3 weeks, and Mayo lie ahead. They probably have more depth now than at any stage in the last 5 years, but that won't help Lacey, Murphy, Gallagher, McFadden, all of whom are still key players.

- Donegal's season has striking parallels to 2013: Impressive home win over Tyrone to start, stuttered through Ulster semi before being out-fought by Monaghan in the Ulster final. They then had a tough round 4 match before being blown away by Mayo. I hope the 2 paths diverge next weekend, but I suspect that Mayo's freshness may be too much.

- Kerry looked awesome, and their score-taking really does set them apart from all other sides. Their defence still doesn't convince though, and they'll need Moran/Maher to continue dominating midfield in order to protect their backs. Still, they look very sharp and fast, something that is aided by all of them being such clean handlers of the ball.

- Kildare need to take a good look at themselves. 7 goals conceded in 1 half is inexcusable. They are capable of much better than that, but showed a total lack of heart.

- Jim Gavin will be pleased with how the Fermanagh game played out. It was never going to be competitive, but he came out of it with no injuries, and also a few sticks with which to beat his team in training over the next few weeks.

- Fair play to Pete McGrath. He sent his team out to play positively, and they were rewarded with some fine individual performances and a lot of great memories for players/fans. As I always say, 31 teams are going to lose at some point, so what's the point of packing a defence in the hope of losing by a couple of points less? Teams should go out and play the game positively, and enjoy themselves. Well done Fermanagh!

- 30 years ago, the semi finals were Dublin v Mayo and Kerry v Monaghan. The more things change...
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  bocerty on Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:48 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:- How did Sean Cavanagh get MOTM from Dara O'Se?  The same Dara O'Se who gave Ryan Jones the award of Thomas Corrigan when Fermanagh beat Westmeath.  You have to wonder does this man actually watch the game - Cavanagh was very wasteful, both with poor shooting and failing to pass to better placed teammates.

totally agree TC - on several occasions he could have passed to a better placed colleague, very selfish i thought and as for MOTM well Dara i think you need a visit to specsavers my friend. McCurry was the obvious contender having kicked 8 pts but i thought McNabb played very well.

_________________
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
avatar
bocerty
Moderator
Moderator

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5920
Age : 43

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Gaa_lover on Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:10 pm

Galway v Donegal was the only real contest at the weekend, the game was won with Donegals 2nd goal but it was never a ten point game. Mayo only beat Galway by 4 points and the goal they scored was an OG. Some are judging Mayo too much on the Connacht final which was a total mis match however they do have advantage of playing a tired looking and injury hit Donegal team next.

Tyrone v Sligo was a boring watch the game against Monaghan this Saturday should have more life to it and its the 30s since Monaghan have won quarter or semi final in Croke park now is the time to get that monkey off their back.

Kerry are now hyped to the hills after their 7 goals against a woeful Kildare defence, i suppose the average Kerry displays against Cork are now ignored? what Kerry have is strength in depth and only Dublin match them in that regard.

The Dublin game was long over as a contest and scoring 2-23 without going all out shows the scoring power they have. Credit to Fermanagh for fighting to the finish, reaching the last 8 and promoted to div 2 is exceeding expectations they have a young team with a good manager and should aim for Ulster title within the next year or two.


Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Thomas Clarke on Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:32 pm

It has become a tradition. I go to a Tyrone match at any age grade, come home delighted after a win, log on to Hoganstand/Twitter, and then discover that we cheated and bullied our way to a victory. It's the same every time. Anyway, a few thoughts:

- Monaghan fans didn't realise it, but this was coming. Tyrone looked very sharp and fast against Tipp & Sligo, and I thought that we'd have too much speed and skill for a good-but-not-great Monaghan side. The margin was 4 points in the end, but the game looked over very early into the second half.

- Tiernan McCann let himself down with his antics, but that was not why Darren Hughes was red-carded. Hughes was sent off for a rugby tackle on Sean Cavanagh. To finish on McCann, I hope he doesn't let the abuse he's going to receive over the next fortnight get to him. He was outstanding yesterday, as he has been in all games since coming on as a sub against Meath. When Aidan O'Mahony did similar in 2008, the adverse publicity affected his form. Perhaps Bocerty should have a word with his young clubmate, and ensure he's mentally right to carry the fight to the Kingdom this day fortnight.

- Tyrone had a lot of very good performances. Sean Cavanagh had his best game of the year, while Mattie Donnelly showed again that he would improve any side. McCurry and McAliskey were both very sharp and precise in everything they did. Colm Cavanagh and McNabb were excellent in defence.

- If there is a worse referee in Ireland than Marty Duffy, I'm yet to see him. In a half with no major injuries, there were 9 minutes of additional time. Has anyone ever seen that before? And the black card for Meyler was a disgrace.

- Kerry will be a big step up for us, but we'll also be better than anyone that they've met up until now. We'll be the first side they've come across that will match them for pace, organisation and self-belief. However, Joe McMahon would be a huge blow if injured. Justin is excellent, but Joey organises our entire defensive set-up. I'd also worry about how we'll cope with the Kerry midfield.

- Donegal's season ended as I expected, and was virtually a mirror image of 2013 (in both years, they peaked at home in opener against Tyrone, plodded through Ulster semi, out battled by Monaghan in Ulster final, tough 4th round qualifier and a mauling by Mayo in Qtr).

- It was obvious watching them against Galway that, although they looked great in the final 10 mins, they were a tired team, and that was their last kick.  A fresh Mayo side was always going to be too much.  Donegal, however, will regroup and will still be a force in 2016.

- Physically, there's a lot to like about Mayo, but they also have a lot to work on.  The were squanderous in attack, and have nobody to hit frees from the right.  They'll need to be much better to beat the Dubs.
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Gaa_lover on Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:51 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:

- Kerry will be a big step up for us, but we'll also be better than anyone that they've met up until now. We'll be the first side they've come across that will match them for pace, organisation and self-belief.
Not Cork? but for a very dodgy penalty in the first Munster final they could have won.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Thomas Clarke on Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:15 pm

Gaa_lover wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

- Kerry will be a big step up for us, but we'll also be better than anyone that they've met up until now. We'll be the first side they've come across that will match them for pace, organisation and self-belief.
Not Cork? but for a very dodgy penalty in the first Munster final they could have won.

Cork? They put in a good 35 mins in the first game, and were hammered in the replay. Kildare then annihilated them in round 3. And all this on the heels of a pasting in the league final.

Cork have barely any good footballers, little pace, no organisation, no pride and no guts. I can assure you, Tyrone will give Kerryfolk more concern over the next fortnight than Cork would have if they'd been in the semi-final instead.
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Gaa_lover on Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:40 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Gaa_lover wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

- Kerry will be a big step up for us, but we'll also be better than anyone that they've met up until now. We'll be the first side they've come across that will match them for pace, organisation and self-belief.
Not Cork? but for a very dodgy penalty in the first Munster final they could have won.

Cork?  They put in a good 35 mins in the first game, and were hammered in the replay.  Kildare then annihilated them in round 3.  And all this on the heels of a pasting in the league final.  

Cork have barely any good footballers, little pace, no organisation, no pride and no guts.  I can assure you, Tyrone will give Kerryfolk more concern over the next fortnight than Cork would have if they'd been in the semi-final instead.

Talking about the first game and not what happened after it as i well know that.

You need more than a "good 35 mins" to draw with Kerry on their home patch arguably should have beaten them and they had the organisation,pace and guts in that game.

A quote from Jim McGuinness article in the Irish times a few weeks ago.

Let’s just rewind the clock, for the sake of argument. Go back to the closing seconds of the drawn game against Kerry. What if Cork had held on in that drawn game? Or if Fionn Fitzgerald’s late score had fallen into the square – which may have been its intended destination – or gone wide and Cork got over the line on that first evening? Cork would be waiting there in the quarter-final as Munster champions. Who in the country would want to play them now? The Cork guys were so close to realising that and they almost had their hands on the Munster cup. So that draw, after a match they poured everything into, was a huge setback to absorb.
Have a look at what Cork did in a season that will be remembered now as a write-off. When the league ended, they stood on top on their own on 10 points. They scored 10-89 in seven games. The teams they beat included Dublin (1-16 to 0-15), Monaghan (2-14 to 1-16), Mayo (2-07 to 0-12) and Kerry (3-17 to 2-9). So they beat all of the eventual provincial champions for 2015 and the reigning All-Ireland champions in the league. They also beat Tyrone. They played Donegal in the league semi-final and put four goals past them, which is the first time I remember that happening. Okay they eventually lost the final to Dublin by 11 points but this is not a bad football team.
Then they go and prepare for Kerry. How many teams would realistically feel they have a shot of going into Killarney and beating Kerry? Very few teams could contemplate doing that. Cork came within a whisker.

Regardless of who they play i'm not sure if Kerry folk are all the concerned about a semi final sure most of their supporters only turn up for All Ireland final. As a neutral i hope Tyrone haven't just reached the last four with the luck of the draw and find themselves out of their depth. If Tyrone are to match Kerry for pace, organisation and self-belief as you say then this semi final should be an intriguing contest.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Thomas Clarke on Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:03 am

Gaa_lover wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:
Gaa_lover wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:

- Kerry will be a big step up for us, but we'll also be better than anyone that they've met up until now. We'll be the first side they've come across that will match them for pace, organisation and self-belief.
Not Cork? but for a very dodgy penalty in the first Munster final they could have won.

Cork?  They put in a good 35 mins in the first game, and were hammered in the replay.  Kildare then annihilated them in round 3.  And all this on the heels of a pasting in the league final.  

Cork have barely any good footballers, little pace, no organisation, no pride and no guts.  I can assure you, Tyrone will give Kerryfolk more concern over the next fortnight than Cork would have if they'd been in the semi-final instead.

Talking about the first game and not what happened after it as i well know that.

You need more than a "good 35 mins" to draw with Kerry on their home patch arguably should have beaten them and they had the organisation,pace and guts in that game.

A quote from Jim McGuinness article in the Irish times a few weeks ago.

Let’s just rewind the clock, for the sake of argument. Go back to the closing seconds of the drawn game against Kerry. What if Cork had held on in that drawn game? Or if Fionn Fitzgerald’s late score had fallen into the square – which may have been its intended destination – or gone wide and Cork got over the line on that first evening? Cork would be waiting there in the quarter-final as Munster champions. Who in the country would want to play them now? The Cork guys were so close to realising that and they almost had their hands on the Munster cup. So that draw, after a match they poured everything into, was a huge setback to absorb.
Have a look at what Cork did in a season that will be remembered now as a write-off. When the league ended, they stood on top on their own on 10 points. They scored 10-89 in seven games. The teams they beat included Dublin (1-16 to 0-15), Monaghan (2-14 to 1-16), Mayo (2-07 to 0-12) and Kerry (3-17 to 2-9). So they beat all of the eventual provincial champions for 2015 and the reigning All-Ireland champions in the league. They also beat Tyrone. They played Donegal in the league semi-final and put four goals past them, which is the first time I remember that happening. Okay they eventually lost the final to Dublin by 11 points but this is not a bad football team.
Then they go and prepare for Kerry. How many teams would realistically feel they have a shot of going into Killarney and beating Kerry? Very few teams could contemplate doing that. Cork came within a whisker.

Regardless of who they play i'm not sure if Kerry folk are all the concerned about a semi final sure most of their supporters only turn up for All Ireland final. As a neutral i hope Tyrone haven't just reached the last four with the luck of the draw and find themselves out of their depth. If Tyrone are to match Kerry for pace, organisation and self-belief as you say then this semi final should be an intriguing contest.

Sorry, but Cork have none of the above attributes. Kerry were cruising at half-time, and were caught cold in the 2nd half. When they needed to salvage a draw, Fionn Fitzgerald kicked a great point. One decent 35 minute showing, followed as it was by 2 horror shows, doesn't indicate that Cork are a good side.

And, with only 1 AI in the last 6 years, I'm fairly sure that Kerry people will be keen to reach another final, especially given the opposition they're facing.

As for Tyrone, our path to the semis has been as tough as any. Just like Kerry and Mayo, we beat a division 1 side, a division 2 side and smattering of small names. Dublin haven't even beaten a division 1 team yet, so we're there on merit. Are we good enough to go further, we'll know in a fortnight's time but, for now, I believe that we are better than any of the sides who are already out.
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  bocerty on Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:24 pm

I'd say McCann will get plenty of words of wisdom from within the confines of his own home TC on how to deal with the backlash.  Hopefully Mickey will have the sense to have a word with him as you are correct in saying that O'Mahoney definitely suffered as a result of his antics all those years ago.

What most folk seem to have missed (as you point out) is that McCann did not get him sent off it was the earlier clothes line job on Cavanagh that he got lined for.  As for Meylers black card i still cant get my head round that one - neither had the ball and its obvious Meyler thought he was going to get 'done' and so he put his arms out in a way to protect/defend himself - surely if was a case of six of one and all that and both should have got the same punishment.

Half to say that although the game has received a lot of bad press it wasn't anywhere near as bad as is been made out - been there in the flesh it was an entertaining game which had a bit of everything not least some fine scores from distance.

I think the Monaghan team will see quite a few retirements - and the same goes for Donegal, Toye McFadden Gallagher & Lacey will hardly have the appetite for another tough year on the road

_________________
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
avatar
bocerty
Moderator
Moderator

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5920
Age : 43

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Thomas Clarke on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:35 pm

Strong rumours of an 8 week ban for Tiernan McCann.  A distraction to player and team ahead of a semi-final.  It will be appealed and should be quashed, as it there is no precedence nor basis in the rules.

Falling that, Tyrone should boycott the match and deny the GAA €2m in revenue.
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  champers on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:56 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Strong rumours of an 8 week ban for Tiernan McCann.  A distraction to player and team ahead of a semi-final.  It will be appealed and should be quashed, as it there is no precedence nor basis in the rules.

Falling that, Tyrone should boycott the match and deny the GAA €2m in revenue.

Have not heard anything about this yet but surely he has a case to answer. Tyrone supporters don't condone his actions do they

As for not playing the fixture must be a joke comment

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 181

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Thomas Clarke on Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:04 am

champers wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:Strong rumours of an 8 week ban for Tiernan McCann.  A distraction to player and team ahead of a semi-final.  It will be appealed and should be quashed, as it there is no precedence nor basis in the rules.

Falling that, Tyrone should boycott the match and deny the GAA €2m in revenue.

Have not heard anything about this yet but surely he has a case to answer. Tyrone supporters don't condone his actions do they

As for not playing the fixture must be a joke comment

8 week ban, despite the sanction in the rulebook for simulation being a yellow card.  Team talk report it as being driven by a few journalists ( [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ).  

My guess is that they decided upon 8 weeks, realising that there will be an appeal and it may end up halved to 4 (i.e. just misses 1 game).  It will be quashed, I'd be confident.  The lad did wrong, but there are no grounds for a suspension.

And yes, I was totally serious about being tempted not to fulfil the fixture.  Why play a game when the rules are unfairly applied against you.

I should also add that I think Saturday's game was blown totally out of proportion.  The Cavanaghs received dogs abuse, and the clip RTE showed of Sean lying down 'feigning' was when he received a punch in the back of the head while on the ground!!

This is where it all comes from:  http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/tyrone-stance-has-decency-on-its-side-29243123.html

And RTE have the cheek to talk about decency and doing the right thing?  Don't make me laugh...
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Boxtyeater on Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:11 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:Strong rumours of an 8 week ban for Tiernan McCann.  A distraction to player and team ahead of a semi-final.  It will be appealed and should be quashed, as it there is no precedence nor basis in the rules.

Falling that, Tyrone should boycott the match and deny the GAA €2m in revenue.

It's a minefield no doubt. McCann's reaction was despicable and deserves the ultimate available punishment.
Looking at it again and wondering about the paucity of Marty Duffy's abilities - was he:

I.) Head down booking Hughes for something else or:

ii.) So far off the play he was utterly lost.....

Poor form from McCann and many more of his colleagues, but the whinge-fest has been massive. Yous' boys are doing yourselves no favours in all this, what with Sean Cavanagh's tackle in 2013 and other issues.

Boxtyeater retaining a silver bullet for acrimonious replies....
avatar
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6970

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Thomas Clarke on Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:16 am

Boxtyeater wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:Strong rumours of an 8 week ban for Tiernan McCann.  A distraction to player and team ahead of a semi-final.  It will be appealed and should be quashed, as it there is no precedence nor basis in the rules.

Falling that, Tyrone should boycott the match and deny the GAA €2m in revenue.

It's a minefield no doubt. McCann's reaction was despicable and deserves the ultimate available punishment.
Looking at it again and wondering about the paucity of Marty Duffy's abilities - was he:

I.) Head down booking Hughes for something else or:

ii.) So far off the play he was utterly lost.....

Poor form from McCann and many more of his colleagues, but the whinge-fest has been massive. Yous' boys are doing yourselves no favours in all this, what with Sean Cavanagh's tackle in 2013 and other issues.

Boxtyeater retaining a silver bullet for acrimonious replies....

A foul in 2013?  A non-violent foul, identical to thousands committed before it or since?  

I'll not comment on the vaguery of 'other issues', but I do believe that such issues are not all reported/highlighted with equal vigour.  Tyrone are an easy target, given their long running feud with the most powerful and influential force on the island, and the fact that we aren't actually citizens of the same country as said force.

Hughes was being sent of for the foul he committed on Colm Cavanagh just beforehand.
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Boxtyeater on Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:33 am

Thomas Clarke wrote: A foul in 2013?  A non-violent foul, identical to thousands committed before it or since?  

I'll not comment on the vaguery of 'other issues', but I do believe that such issues are not all reported/highlighted with equal vigour.  Tyrone are an easy target, given their long running feud with the most powerful and influential force on the island, and the fact that we aren't actually citizens of the same country as said force.

Hughes was being sent of for the foul he committed on Colm Cavanagh just beforehand.

A foul on McManus that was possibly a game-changer.... That Tyrone are "easy targets" is a weak effort - Tyrone, whether by "style" or substance are drawing wrath upon themselves and have historically done so.

I've had a lot of time for Tyrone, their football and folk. But until their attitude and concept of the difference between right and wrong changes then they're out there to be pilloried.
avatar
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6970

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Thomas Clarke on Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:05 am

Sorry Boxty, but if you think that Tyrone players and teams behave any differently to any other sides, then you are deluded. All that's different is the attention we receive, and I've already outlined the reasons for that.

As Jim McCorry said in the Irish News, there are a lot of people who need to go and polish their halos.
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  bocerty on Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:53 am

Cavanaghs foul in 2013 which was committed many times before and many times since and yet few have had the same headlines that Seans got!!!!!! why single out one team/player when others are at it?

When Tyrone do it its cycnical when Kerry do it is called being "ruthless" - in their game against Kildare i think it was when the game was over as a contest and a Kildare player was dragged to the ground a la McManus in 2013 and yet it was completely swept under the carpet and Brolly was almost full of praise for the Kerry player who pulled him down

Its strange how a game where several punches were thrown and other 'tasty' tackles made the only person being singled out for punishment is the one who probably sinned the least - yes what he did was wrong he knows that and we all know it - hes young and young lads make these errors of judgement at times. We still dont know that what he done got Hughes sent off!!!!!!!

Also worth noting that a recent challenge game between Dublin and Armagh left a player seriously injured and hospitalised - the punishment was both County Boards fined and yet McCann is looking at 8 weeks for falling on his ass - tell me that the CCCC is being consistent in their approach here!!!!!

As for messrs Whelan and O'Rourke maybe they should practice what they preach and apologise for some of the antics they got up during their playing careers - alot of much worse than anything Tiernan Mc Cann done




_________________
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
avatar
bocerty
Moderator
Moderator

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5920
Age : 43

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Thomas Clarke on Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:49 am

Talk about cloak and dagger stuff, not a single person I've spoken to seems to have the slightest clue when Tiernan McCann's appeal process against his discriminatory suspension begins.  It's hard to believe that a sporting organisation is allowed to be run in such a shady, arbitrary way.  Disgraceful, and totally (deliberately) unhelpful to any side trying to prepare for an AI semi-final.

#je suis tiernan
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Thomas Clarke on Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:47 pm

Reports on Twitter than Tiernan McCann's ludicrous ban has been overturned. Kevin Keane's red card downgraded to a yellow.

Both free to play in semi finals. What a complete and utter joke the CCCC is. I hope that apologies follow the red faces.

Anyway, time to move on and win an AI semi-final...

#Je suis Tiernan
avatar
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Gaa_lover on Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:51 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:Reports on Twitter than Tiernan McCann's ludicrous ban has been overturned.  Kevin Keane's red card downgraded to a yellow.

Both free to play in semi finals.  What a complete and utter joke the CCCC is.  I hope that apologies follow the red faces.

Anyway, time to move on and win an AI semi-final...

#Je suis Tiernan

On what grounds was that downgraded? a clear striking action to the face is normally a straight red.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Re: SFC 2015

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum