GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Cup's 100 Greatest Footballers

+3
OMAR
Boxtyeater
Thomas Clarke
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

World Cup's 100 Greatest Footballers - Page 2 Empty Re: World Cup's 100 Greatest Footballers

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:24 pm

One of the very greatest died today - Alfredo Di Stefano. No expert would have him ranked outside the top 10 players of all-time, while many hold him as their No.1. Perhaps the first great all round footballer, a man who could run all day and dominated games like nobody before him and few since. In my opinion, one of the top 4-5 footballers who ever lived - a genuine soccer and sporting legend.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

World Cup's 100 Greatest Footballers - Page 2 Empty Re: World Cup's 100 Greatest Footballers

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:39 am

Thoroughly in agreement with all that TC. A top player in his time and a gent to boot. RIP.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:15 am

Well that was interesting. That period from the around 20 to 30 minutes in was absolutely incredible. Brazil just fell apart and I though the Germans were brilliant. When I watched Dublin in the league final this year, it struck me how every one of their runs had a purpose and was committed to absolutely. Germany were the same - the movement into space and the timing of runs was brilliant. And no flashy thread-the-needle passes required. Just simple pass and move. Magnificent.
Feel a bit sorry for the Brazil players. They are going to get absolutely roasted. Hope some players are not singled out as the whole lot of them deserve the blame.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:36 am

RMDrive wrote:Well that was interesting. That period from the around 20 to 30 minutes in was absolutely incredible. Brazil just fell apart and I though the Germans were brilliant. When I watched Dublin in the league final this year, it struck me how every one of their runs had a purpose and was committed to absolutely. Germany were the same - the movement into space and the timing of runs was brilliant. And no flashy thread-the-needle passes required. Just simple pass and move. Magnificent.
Feel a bit sorry for the Brazil players. They are going to get absolutely roasted. Hope some players are not singled out as the whole lot of them deserve the blame.

I love the German mentality and ruthlessness, it reminds me of what an old manager of mine said when we were hammering our parish rivals at their ground, his half time team talk was simple, he said "when your rivals are drowning, you ram the hosepipe down their throats, because they would do it to you! Go out there and embarrass them". That's what the Germans did last night!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:37 am

I'm glad to see Scolari accepting the blame for this defeat, as a huge portion of the responsibility must lie on his ample shoulders. He was never a good manager, and made his name on the back of Ronaldo/Rivaldo/Ronaldinho in a poor 2002 World Cup.

Scolari got this wrong on so many levels. He not only tolerated but actually encouraged his side to go on a crusade for the fallen Neymar, a man who I began to think had must have died, such was the volume of gestures in his memory. Caps, banners and even his jersey being held by the captain and goalkeeper during the anthems. Nonsense - he should have been forgotten when he left the squad, and proper plans devised to mitigate against his absence.

Then, as if he hadn't whipped up enough emotional frenzy, Scolari gave the captain's armband to the most emotionally volatile member of his squad, David Luiz. This was a man who needed to be calmed down, not wound up and let loose. A highly-strung centre-back is not who you want anchoring your side.

There is a great misconception in sport that passion alone is a huge attribute, but passion without direction and organisation is as big an Achilles' heal as you can find. Brazil lacked all shape and discipline, bombing forward and forgetting their responsibilities. Then, when the first goal flew in, they were so shell-shocked and crushed that they were unable to steady their ship and regroup, and instead they totally fell apart.

The 4 goals in 6 minutes are unlikely ever to be seen again in a game of great significance. For a supposedly organised, experienced and talented international side to concede 4 goals in a game is awful, but to concede 4 in 6 minutes is a disgrace. Here, the players deserve plenty of blame of their own. They were an absolute disgrace to their profession, and no tears should be wasted on this bunch of losers. These are well-paid professionals, yet they performed like a hastily cobbled together pub team. Utterly pathetic.

I feel bad for the Brazilian fans, as perhaps no country is more defined by soccer as they are. This was to be their crowning glory, redemption after 64 years of hurt following the 1950 final. Instead, what they got was the greatest humiliation in sporting history (yes, really - name me one greater). Their substandard side lucked and fouled their way to a semi-final, while their inept manager failed to correct any of the obvious flaws that had been highlighted in their previous 5 games. In the end, they got the mother of all beatings, and one that will take them a long time from which to recover.

If there is a silver lining, it's that perhaps this will force Brazil to go back to basics and try to develop footballers again. The Germans did it after Euro 2000, and look at what has happened since. Brazil should start by looking at the link to the 1982 side that I posted earlier on this thread, but their climb back to the top could take some time...
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:01 pm

Now now lads, no need for all this analysis. To put it simply, Brazil merely performed like the Cork footballers last Sunday. A bunch of duds, overseen by a manager who wouldn't train a pig to be dirty..

Fenagh, in fairness, fielded teams down the years with some odd monikers (the Grinder McGovern and Crusher Keegan) to name two, but they could grind or crush should the occasion demand.
But once you see the likes of FRED ffs

World Cup's 100 Greatest Footballers - Page 2 Fred-f10

or HULK

World Cup's 100 Greatest Footballers - Page 2 Hulk10

It's time start the Rosary.....Spoofers to a man.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:40 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:  Instead, what they got was the greatest humiliation in sporting history (yes, really - name me one greater).

FYI....Soccerball is not a sport, it's a business. The golfing statistic quoted herunder is a leisure activity**

AISF 2001: Meath 2-14 Kerry 0-05.
Jean Van de Velde: British Open 1999. 3 clear on the 18th. and Boom....
AIHF 2008: Kilkenny 3-30 Waterford 1-13.
AIHSF 2012: HT Tipp 1-10 Kilkenny 1-09 FT KK 4-24 Tipp 1-15.

**Defeats suffered in consecutive years in the AIQualifiers do not count. They're punishment beatings.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:40 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
Thomas Clarke wrote:   Instead, what they got was the greatest humiliation in sporting history (yes, really - name me one greater).

FYI....Soccerball is not a sport, it's a business. The golfing statistic quoted herunder is a leisure activity**

AISF 2001: Meath 2-14 Kerry 0-05.
Jean Van de Velde: British Open 1999. 3 clear on the 18th. and Boom....
AIHF 2008: Kilkenny 3-30 Waterford 1-13.
AIHSF 2012: HT Tipp 1-10 Kilkenny 1-09 FT KK 4-24 Tipp 1-15.

**Defeats suffered in consecutive years in the AIQualifiers do not count. They're punishment beatings.

Hurling doesn't count, given that it's a sport without rules, played only by the inhabitants of a few rural parishes in the south west of Ireland.  Also, wearing helmets also means that the players aren't recognised off the pitch, therefore humiliation can be easily evaded.

Which brings me to Jean Van de Velde, a man who would barely be recognised in his own living room.  Plus, he's French, so he's in good company when it comes to humiliations (to be fair to Jean, he battled the winds and rain of Carnoustie for almost 4 full days, which is longer than his countrymen lasted against the Germans in 1940).

Kerry, I'll accept, as any county suffering a 15 point defeat to Meath in the noughties can rightly claim to have been humiliated.

And as for Scolari, here's someone who thinks even less of him then I do….

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/worldcup/world-cup-2014-neymars-agent-launches-scathing-attack-on-brazils-luis-felipe-scolari-labelling-him-an-old-jerk-arrogant-repulsive-conceited-and-ridiculous-9596660.html

Last edited by Thomas Clarke on Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:45 pm

So, in the shadow of the magnificent statue of Christ the Redeemer, will it be Messi or Muller?  Die-hard fans of each country ask a friend for a little help….

World Cup's 100 Greatest Footballers - Page 2 V2-Popes-GETTY

Last edited by Thomas Clarke on Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:10 pm

Good one.....

I was on another forum there a while ago and noted Angela Merkel praising the Germans strength and concentration. I added a comment that Frau Merkel should stay away from using throwaway lines such as:

All is well in the camp.
We showed great concentration.
We just ran out of gas.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:05 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Good one.....

I was on another forum there a while ago and noted Angela Merkel praising the Germans strength and concentration. I added a comment that Frau Merkel should stay away from using throwaway lines such as:

All is well in the camp.
We showed great concentration.
We just ran out of gas.

Indeed. Given the high demand for one way flights from Berlin to Buenos Aires in 1945, I suspect that there may still be a small group of very elderly men living in Argentina who will be cheering on the Germans on Sunday.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next