GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Football Championship 2014.....

+9
OMAR
bald eagle
Loyal2TheRoyal
patk
Gaa_lover
emmetryan
Thomas Clarke
champers
Boxtyeater
13 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Football Championship 2014..... - Page 6 Empty Re: Football Championship 2014.....

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:52 pm

Meath disappointed me in fairness. They were held at arms length in the early exchanges, posted a few bad enough wides as the Dubs tipped over a few ready ones and the strength seemed to fade out of the Royals.
The sheer pace, power and cohesion of Dublin would flatten any of the other contenders and their ability to funnel men around the opponent in possession is awesome. This is a great credit to their training regime, they're superbly fit and focussed for the full 70 minutes.

Donegal, on the other hand, look to do what they do best, strangle the oxygen out of the opposition, hit on the turnover, bank the score and begin the process anew. Big Nealie Gallagher put in a big shift, as indeed did many others, young McNiallis included, Jimmy used the bench to good effect, but in truth Monaghan were very disappointing. Calls from counties to appoint O'Rourke as Manager are ill-founded. Stevie Wonder could see the ploy of hoofing high balls forward was futile as early as 5 minutes in but the Plan B (if there was one) wasn't implemented. Outfought tactically.

It will take an air-strike or worse even to derail the blue juggernaut.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Football Championship 2014..... - Page 6 Empty Re: Football Championship 2014.....

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:13 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Calls from counties to appoint O'Rourke as Manager are ill-founded. Stevie Wonder could see the ploy of hoofing high balls forward was futile as early as 5 minutes in but the Plan B (if there was one) wasn't implemented. Outfought tactically.

This week, I've heard several from within my own county call for him to be approached.  I totally agree with you that this would be a terrible move.  He plays football from the dark(est) ages when, much as I don't like him, Gavin has shown the way forward in terms of footballing style.  As I suggested earlier in the year, considering that 31 out of 32 counties end up losers each year, I'd rather lose like Laois than lose like Cavan.

The Dubs are conditioned well beyond what are games have seen before.  How are they doing it?  How did the likes of Diarmuid Connolly, Paddy Andrews and others physically transform themselves in their mid-20s.  What is the secret formula?   Suspect
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:46 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
Boxtyeater wrote:Calls from counties to appoint O'Rourke as Manager are ill-founded. Stevie Wonder could see the ploy of hoofing high balls forward was futile as early as 5 minutes in but the Plan B (if there was one) wasn't implemented. Outfought tactically.

This week, I've heard several from within my own county call for him to be approached.  I totally agree with you that this would be a terrible move.  He plays football from the dark(est) ages when, much as I don't like him, Gavin has shown the way forward in terms of footballing style.  As I suggested earlier in the year, considering that 31 out of 32 counties end up losers each year, I'd rather lose like Laois than lose like Cavan.

The Dubs are conditioned well beyond what are games have seen before.  How are they doing it?  How did the likes of Diarmuid Connolly, Paddy Andrews and others physically transform themselves in their mid-20s.  What is the secret formula?   Suspect

To be fair sport has shown us that Athletes can mature later in their career. Look at most of GB track and field
Golds in last 25 years. Athletes that only reached their peak in their late 20,s or even 30's

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:56 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:  As I suggested earlier in the year, considering that 31 out of 32 counties end up losers each year, I'd rather lose like Laois than lose like Cavan.

Absolutely agree 100%. Go out and have a lash at it, play positively, leave nothing on the pitch but your sweat and probably tears and you can say in your winter days that we "gave it our all". All fine and dandy 50 years ago or less, but now your'e measured by success and in what quantities. Of course money has crept into the game (Yerrah!) and the pipers' gotta be paid but at what cost overall?
Counties like your own (no insult intended), Cork, Kildare and a few other peripherals are breeding football out of young lads instead of the direct alternative (Dublin). It's as simple as that. Dublin's footballers are being allowed to express themselves as free-spirits. They make mistakes, get overturned when sallying forward but are trained to re-group as fast as possible, recover possession and start again.

Of course they're being treated of the best, but it's a sport and life is short - they can buy in handily enough.
The AI medallist on your CV won't alienate too many, the trips to wherever are grand, but these are the fruits of the tree....

Fógra scoir: the Dublin players look like a crowd of lads who enjoy what they are achieving, they're having a cut off it while it's there and who can blame them. It's a sport not strategic warfare.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:14 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
Fógra scoir: the Dublin players look like a crowd of lads who enjoy what they are achieving, they're having a cut off it while it's there and who can blame them. It's a sport not strategic warfare.

I'm reminded of pretty much[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]some 5+ years ago.

To extend the point about skills, I'm shocked that, despite our state of the art facilities and development squads, we are still producing county players who can't kick with two feet. I'd gladly forsake minor titles if the trade off was, instead of physically and tactically well-prepared sides, we were simply turning out structureless but skilful footballers at 18. The physical and mental side can be taught after that, but the skills should be there beforehand.

There's a reason why Tyrone don't play direct football, and it is largely because we lack players who can kick a ball 40 yards accurately, and lack players who can catch it on the receiving end. I'm not talking about hit and hope, but rather quick, accurate passes into space. We don't play that way because we haven't the footballers to execute the skills (and, to be fair to Tyrone, there are many who are far far worse off than us in this regard).

So, no thanks to Malachy O'Rourke or anyone of that ilk becoming our next manager - I'd grudgingly rather stick with what we have.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:36 pm

To come back to today's Leinster final: Can anyone who watched it tell me why Meath, a county with a proud tradition in the manly skills of the game, (kicking and fielding) were so sluggish/defensive/useless in moving the ball forward from within their own 45 for the 1st. half. Utilising your goalkeeper as a "Get out of jail" card
smacked of desperation (and almost desperate) at times.

Answer: Dublin pressurised the space up ahead through fitness and intent.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:41 pm

Meath players did not show the same appetite for the ball as they did in the Kildare game. Perhaps they felt Dublin weren't affording them the same space. A combination of little movement by Meath and good marking by Dublin.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:04 pm

Great win for Donegal today in a real battle. Thought we had that wee bit more class all round. McNialis with 3 excellent point from play - 2 off his left and 1 off his right. He has a beautiful strike of the ball. Ryan McHugh looked lost for a lot of the first half but gradually grew into the game and fully deserved his MOTM award. Paddy came in and showed well for the first time since early in the league (when he was coming off the bench too). Big Neil, Lacey, Thompson and the McGee's back to what we have come to expect from them.

Was surprised at how clueless Monaghan were going forward. It was clear that were bottling up McManus but they seems to have no clue of what to do in that case. They should have enough to take Kildare.

BTW, disappointing that the SG didn't show Murphys wonder-free from 60m. Absolutely fantastic and well worth a you tube search for those who haven't seen it.

Today was one of my best days in Clones. A great double for Donegal with the minors looking very strong against Armagh - at least until the eased off and let Armagh back into it. I enjoyed my stroll through the town this morning, walked the pitch after the game and tried to capture the memories. Don't reckon that Belfast will ever live up to it.

Until victory, always. Up Donegal!!  Very Happy cheers 
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:08 pm

RMDrive wrote:
Today was one of my best days in Clones. A great double for Donegal with the minors looking very strong against Armagh - at least until the eased off and let Armagh back into it. I enjoyed my stroll through the town this morning, walked the pitch after the game and tried to capture the memories. Don't reckon that Belfast will ever live up to it.
When the games are in Belfast, you'll be strolling home again too. Certainly, at any rate, I can't imagine Omar finding the Jag where he parked it.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:09 pm

Nothing like a win or two to get people back posting!!  Wink 

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:13 pm

bald eagle wrote:Nothing like a win or two to get people back posting!!  Wink 

Ha. Look who's talking!!  jerry 
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:13 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Meath players did not show the same appetite for the ball as they did in the Kildare game. Perhaps they felt Dublin weren't affording them the same space. A combination of little movement by Meath and good marking by Dublin.

"Possibly."
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:32 pm

RMDrive wrote:
bald eagle wrote:Nothing like a win or two to get people back posting!!  Wink 

Ha. Look who's talking!!  jerry 

In that case I should never be on here!!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:40 pm

Loyal2TheRoyal wrote:Meath players did not show the same appetite for the ball as they did in the Kildare game. Perhaps they felt Dublin weren't affording them the same space. A combination of little movement by Meath and good marking by Dublin.

Some players - according to other sources - certainly showed appetite. It's possibly best if this forum didn't get itself dragged into it. There are allegations flying around on other fora (Dual-membership with here) so I'd advise letting the "snack-box" issue drop....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:20 am

In summary, the following have fallen well below expectation, despite early bluff and bluster:
Monaghan, Cavan, Derry, Roscommon, Meath, Tyrone and Down.

Reasons:
Ambition, fitness, ingenuity, tradition, innovation, desire, effort, in-house tiffs, adaptability.

Yeehaw!!!
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:04 am

Meath very disappointing must remember they only lost last years final by 8 points and were competitive for long spells even led at half time. 2012 this got within one score of Dublin. Maybe the Meath injuries played a part in that but Dublin are fully focused to retain their AI.

Donegal look in better form than last year though they had a handy enough draw by facing out of sorts Derry and div 4 Antrim on route to the final and they were able to set themselves up for the Monaghan challenge better than last year.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  patk Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:08 pm

Very disappointing performance at the weekend. Absolutely no complaints - Donegal much the better team and should have won by more than 3 points. Our tactics were puzzling to say the least, at times we had one forward up top surrounded by up to 5-6 defenders and yet we persisted with hoofing the ball in. It was a complete contrast to other games where the long ball was only delivered in when a man was making a good run into space, and good ball being kicked in too. The amount of times we kicked(and handpassed too for that matter) a ball straight to a Donegal defender frustrated the life out of me. Whenever we ran the ball in, there wasn't the sufficient support off the shoulder to offload to, again very different to what we've done before. Donegal were clearly far more "up for it" than we were, they weren't going off having lost two Ulster finals in a row. Gallagher was immense at midfield, and Eoin Lennon's absense was felt more here than any other time this championship. I don't think the ref was great for us, but that had nothing to do with the result.

Thomas Clarke wrote:
- Monaghan were what they are- wiling but limited.  I've heard a lot of talk about the great young players that they've unearthed, but none of them are attackers.  Hold McManus and Kieran Hughes and they won't beat any of the better-than-average sides.  They are also missing Eoin Lennon in midfield, as Clerkin should be no more than an impact sub at this stage of his career.

That sums it up, we've too many workers in our forward line to really trouble the top sides. For the next game I'd like to see at least another scoring forward start, like McCarron or McGuinness, who took his goal very well. Kildare will be more open than Donegal so it's a chance to play a bit more attacking, I'd hope and expect to overcome that hurdle given the two week break. It's very true about our young players coming through being of the defensive sort, although our minor team last year had 3-4 very promising forwards. Hopefully some of them can make an impact in the near future, a couple of them are on the panel this year but haven't featured yet.

patk
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

monaghan
Number of posts : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:42 pm

OMAR wrote:Frank McGlynn - player of the year 125/1
Dublin 4/6 to win Sam

I'm opting for value

The donegal for Sam and Mcglynn for POY now 10/1 and 66/1 from 16/1 and 125/1 last week.
Dublin 4/9.
Dublin certainly deserved red hot favorites but 96% to 4%( rounded) dublin:Donegal seems heavy to me

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:18 pm

For the purists, the Kerry/Galway meeting has the propensity to see:- goals in double-digits, a minimum of 40 points and a points total in the 60's. It does need, however, one vital cog: an understanding referee, who will approach the game in a fair mind and show a decent shred of common sense.

Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:24 pm

[quote="Boxtyeater"]For the purists, the Kerry/Galway meeting has the propensity to see:- goals in double-digits, a minimum of 40 points and a points total in the 60's. It does need, however, one vital cog: an understanding referee, who will approach the game in a fair mind and show a decent shred of common sense.

Applying your definition of purists to farming.
Is a purist someone who leaves the shed/gate wide open ?

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:25 pm

[quote="OMAR"]

In all honesty, yes. Rural folk will know that the straying animal isn't theirs. It's advisable, however, to retain the services of a vigilant dog or two.
On the evidence of tonight's efforts, I'd say if you weren't in Án Bóth by 10 bells you had no hope.
Regards to Mrs.OMAR, enjoy it - Dessie Mone is the man.

I'm expecting an huge missive from the resident Farneyman.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:15 am

Armagh should be delighted with their summers work they have certainly earned their place in quarter final and more so than Cork,Galway who only had to beat Tipp,Sligo. Is all this Armagh improvement down to McGeeney? hard to believe the same group of players dropped down to div 3 this spring.

Monaghan v Kildare a enjoyable game with some well taken goals another good championship for Monaghan regardless of what happens against the Dubs next.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:53 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
OMAR wrote:

In all honesty, yes. Rural folk will know that the straying animal isn't theirs. It's advisable, however, to retain the services of a vigilant dog or two.
On the evidence of tonight's efforts, I'd say if you weren't in Án Bóth by 10 bells you had no hope.
Regards to Mrs.OMAR, enjoy it - Dessie Mone is the man.

I'm expecting an huge missive from the resident Farneyman.

I took the outlaws to HQ - plans made before checking weather forecast
At 10.00 pm i was fretting about making a car park closes at 10.00pm sharp deadline.
Definetly not a game for the purist. Kildare were even more negative than monaghan. But as well as keeping 13 behind the ball both teams played the game in a channel the width of a bowling ball alley. I looked at the set up for one kick out and there was no one more than 15 yards either side of a straight line down the middle.

The payback for my hospitality is that next weekend - its not my turn to drive !!

OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:30 pm

From watching those two quarter finals i'd wonder Is the art of defending in football dying? even Mayo who were once solid and built their strength on defence have suddenly forgotten how to defend. Mayo won't beat Kerry in this current form and neither are unlikely to win the AI this year. Dublin's All Ireland to lose and they will probably get their biggest test in the semi final.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:25 pm

Gaa_lover wrote:From watching those two quarter finals i'd wonder Is the art of defending in football dying? even Mayo who were once solid and built their strength on defence have suddenly forgotten how to defend. Mayo won't beat Kerry in this current form and neither are unlikely to win the AI this year. Dublin's All Ireland to lose and they will probably get their biggest test in the semi final.

Mayo have regressed rapidly since last year. Horan has messed some players heads around and it's
un-nerving some of what they refer to as better players. Freeman and Richie Feeney have been dropped in somewhat controversial circumstances and as of yesterday, Freeman's confidence is shot. Their vaunted defence has evaporated, their backs are all wannabee forwards and only for a bit of an effort from the O'Sheas they were done and dusted. Cork again failed to get the mix right, indulging passengers over proven genuine footballers.

Kerry move on to the semi's. O'Donaghue is a joy to watch, but, if the Galway f/b (Hanley) hadn't totally lost his nerve, he'd have had a more difficult hour. The Galway corner back, Moore, should be dropped immediatley from any panel. He stood, short of peeing on himself as O'Donaghue arrowed in. A Junior B corner back would be ridiculed the length and breath of the parish for such aenimic effort. There's something all the same to Galway, only if they get the management right. Shane Walsh is a terrific prospect, the young midfielders offer a lot but they need to consolidate the squad before next Summer. Locating a full back line would be my starting position.

Monaghan/Armagh: Unlikely to require attention beyond next weekend. An admirable year for both though. Monaghan had a great league, regaining D1 status from which, given their progress so far will only consolidate them. The loss of Lennon hampered them this year in fairness. Friend of the Forum, Dick Clerkin has had a fine summer, as has Mone, Wylie, the Hughes' and when needed Chris McGuinness. Armagh have benefitted from the qualifiers, particularly the trip to Roscommon. Long campaigns take their toll and McKeever is a loss at this stage.

Meath/Kildare both bowed out meekly enough. Kildare's fitness should have carried them against Monaghan and Meath always struggled against Armagh. The fear of the next day preyed on both mindsets...
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next