GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Football Championship 2014.....

+9
OMAR
bald eagle
Loyal2TheRoyal
patk
Gaa_lover
emmetryan
Thomas Clarke
champers
Boxtyeater
13 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Football Championship 2014..... - Page 5 Empty Re: Football Championship 2014.....

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:12 pm

From a Meath point of view, this Sunday is an important date in Meath's 2014 season.

It is arguably the defining game of the year as a win would cement status as second in command to Dublin in Leinster and 1 further win in the championship would make it a good year.

A loss on the other hand, no matter what the circumstance or injury list, will bring out the doubters. You would be talking 3 furthers wins to make it a good year.

I can't be confident or too despondent at this time. Kildare as I have said before are an unknown under Jason Ryan especially with the guts of a dozen new players since the sides last met in the championship.

Meath have been going well I think. They finished the League well and got over Carlow without much fuss. They will be well prepared for this game and will be well prepared for the championship in general.

The outcome for me will depend on Kildare showing their hand a bit more. I know they were relegated but they only lost by a point to Tyrone and Cork. Meath are an improved team from last year but that doesn't mean Kildare haven't improved past them.

The winner will be in a great position heading into the Leinster Final but the loser will be under pressure straight away as they head for the qualifiers.

Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Football Championship 2014..... - Page 5 Empty Re: Football Championship 2014.....

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:40 am

Going back to last weekend, that was a seriously good win for Meath over Kildare. As I said before, the Meath supporters can be reasonably content with the progress that has been made, now that Kildare are out of the way. Meath will get two chances to make a quarter-final. That will be mission accomplished for the year.

Let's not forget Meath are without a handful of probable starters - Davy Dalton in defence, Conor Gillespie in midfield and Eamonn Wallace, Cillian O'Sullivan and Mickey Newman in the forwards. While the players are there to replace these guys, the impact from the bench and the competition for places on the bench have been affected.

As for the game itself, Stephen Bray is lethal when he hits Croke Park. As I said before the best full-forward in the game which is saying something about this 34 year old. A ball winner, a speed merchant and a finisher. He has some good help around him too in the shape of Andy Tormey and Damian Carroll amongst others but those two both were especially good last weekend too. The second half fade-out will be a concern but at least it will keep expectations under control. The pre-match Leinster Final analysis will probably focus on Dublin's use of substitutes and Meath's failure to close out the Kildare game. That gives Meath something to work on and keeps the limelight firmly on the Dubs.
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:03 pm

Meath were very good Loyal, but I wonder just how poor Kildare really are. They finished the league on a real downer, and their win over Louth perhaps said more about the Wee men.

But to give credit where it is due, Meath were fast, strong and, in Bray, had a touch of class up front. I don't see them beating Dublin, though, but it should be an interesting game that may tell us a bit more about where the defending champs are right now. It's a shame that Newman and Wallace weren't fit, especially the former.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:20 pm

Kerry 0-24 Cork 0-12....A turn-up for the books, but Kerry full value for their win, they ought to have won by 20+ points. The ancient sage in Kenmare who told me last week that "the inside line will do the damage"
wasn't far wrong. He didn't tell me that they were going with a 2 man inside line but he was probably sworn to secrecy. Declan O'Sullivan fairly revelled in his new role as an auxilliary midfielder, grabbing possession at every hands turn and spraying long accurate passes to the inside line like a man on the training field.

Inside O'Donoghue did as he liked, kicked 8 points from play, a couple of frees and was continually involved.
Paul Geaney with 2/3 fine points from play ensured that the Cork full back line had a torrid afternoon. In truth, while they will be castigated un-mercifully for their performance, the problems were further out the field. Midfield was non-existant for them all day, Walsh was finally hauled ashore near the end.

While it's hard to judge where Kerry are at in terms of being "contenders", at least they're in the Q/F's without breaking too much sweat. Their movement today was a joy to watch, but against better opposition there may be flaws in the structure of the defence. Aidan O'Mahony isn't improving and I'd be somewhat fearful for them if opposed by a physical side like Monaghan or more structured systems such as Donegal or Mayo would throw up. That's before looking at the Leinster teams remaining....

But it is what it is, Kerry are Munster champions, class as they say is permanent.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:55 pm

The manner of the league semi final defeat was still on the Cork minds today as Kerry took over where Dublin left off. Tipp were close to beating Cork if they did at least the Munster final would have been better viewing. How good are Kerry? that remains to be seen and looking at the A side of the draw its nicely set up for a Kerry v Mayo semi final. Cork quarter final max for them now.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:28 pm

The Munster Council have a lot to answer for here. Clare pushed Kerry to 4 points while it took Cork injury time to get over Tipperary by 2. This notion of a seeded Munster c/ship must now be knocked on the head.

On a related issue, this was Kerry's 76th. Munster title. By the shapes of the players and backroom team afterwards, you could be forgiven for thinking it was their 1st. in 60 years.....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:00 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:
On a related issue, this was Kerry's 76th. Munster title. By the shapes of the players and backroom team  afterwards, you could be forgiven for thinking it was their 1st. in 60 years.....

See point [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] under your Personal Memoir.

Fair play to Eamon Fitzmaurice.  I was highly impressed with how his side peaked against Dublin in last year's semi-final and the tactics he employed on that day, and they were again extremely sharp, focused and organised this afternoon.  His deck is much much lighter than any of his 3 predecessors, but he is getting the most out of it.

I wonder, however, how much today will aid Kerry in the long run.  They beat the worst Cork side I can recall seeing, and I'm seen some bad ones.  Conor Counihan was a limited manager, but James Gandolfini looked even more lost on the sideline than Conor ever did.  Spiritless, clueless and lacking any viable plan, doubtless Cork will improve somewhat for the next match, but it's very hard to see how they could possibly be contenders in September.

As an aside, James O'Donoghue is a brilliant footballer.  He should have been on everyone's radar a a superstar 2 year ago, yet he is rarely talked about in the same breath as the elite corner forwards.  After today, that will change.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  patk Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:00 am

Great result for us today. Last week's display was fairly disappointing even if Armagh only drew level with the last kick, there was much room for improvement from almost all from 2-15. Much more encouraging display today though, a good response to the Armagh goal with a few unanswered points and in truth after our goal we had a hold of the game from there on. Defence as a whole were much better, Armagh only getting a few scores for most of the first half following their goal. Great to see McManus back in full flow, he's a joy to watch on days like that, and still probably not 100%. In fact our shooting as a whole seen a big improvement, a decent spread of scorers and some good point-taking from long range, that will be important against Donegal. Some doubts over Kieran Hughes who went off injured, and Eoin Lennon who is still missing. We'll need them both in the final.

patk
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

monaghan
Number of posts : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:23 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:   They beat the worst Cork side I can recall seeing, and I'm seen some bad ones.  Conor Counihan was a limited manager, but James Gandolfini looked even more lost on the sideline than Conor ever did.

Shortly after half-time Cuthbert was seen speaking into the ear-piece. Nanny/Commentator said "He's getting a message from Selectors"....

Boxty's reply to herself (a great Cork supporter) was "He's getting the message from Frank Murphy - Turn this around or you're toast"....

Frank was disgusted with the performance....

Football Championship 2014..... - Page 5 Fm10

Hard to imagine that it's 30 years ago since the Centenary hurling final in Thurles - the day that Frank got the better of me and my BIL, whom was well known to Frank. A day that will live forever in my mind.

Not for the issue with Frank (documented here somewhere in the mists of time) but for the joys of youth or younger life, when time was matterless and cameraderie meant something. Cork V Offaly, Thurles and surrounding towns heaving, the Taoiséach (Garrett Fitzgeralds) car nearly overturned approaching the
ground and CJ Haughey borne aloft to the main stand. Arriving at closing-time in Keenan's of Tarmonbarry and ending up staying the night free gratis and a scoop in the morning to "speed you on your way"....

Great days....
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:13 pm

Thought the kingdom done well yesterday wouldn't look in to it to much as the back 6 will be torn a part by better teams,as for O'Donoghue 1 forward will not win you many games
Pundits have being saying the way to beat Dublin is with a blanket defence but i have not seen any team really deploying that system 100% yet

Monaghan look lively and should have a big shout in reaching the last 4

The draw this year looks a farce nearly all the top teams are coming down the A side,it really is unfair for teams knocked out early on not to leave them in an open draw

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 179

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:48 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
- I'm not sure where Terry Hyland thinks that he is going with Cavan but, wherever it is, it's the wrong track.  Cavan are not the side that many were beginning to think that they were.  They play a desperately negative brand of football, which means that every game becomes a dogfight.  In employing an all-out defence, Hyland is doing a disservice to what is undoubtedly a fairly talented bunch of lads.  i mean, contrast with Laois, who can go home tonight having given their all and tried to express themselves in the right way.  They weren't good enough, but that's life.  Cavan players, on the other hand, must surely privately feel that they have more to give, instead of having their manager subject them to a footballing orchiectomy.

They seem to be getting worse. Terry Hyland is taking this side nowhere. In reference to their U21s, I asked earlier this year what these negative tactics were teaching lads down in Cavan, and Jonsmith replied 'To win'. Well, those tactics are hard to justify when winning, and impossible to justify when losing. If all you are doing is getting lads to pack their own third of the pitch and hope to nick a couple of frees on the break, you are going nowhere.

Forget the U21 titles, Cavan players must already be sick of the sight of their manager, given that he has so little faith in their ability to play football. Personally, I'd show Hyland the road, but I suspect that he'll get one more year, perhaps to see if playing in division 2 helps them come summertime. In reality though, it's a complete change of footballing philosophy that is required if Cavan are to make any genuine improvement.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:07 pm

Taxi for Mickey Harte?

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:27 pm

bald eagle wrote:Taxi for Mickey Harte?

I'd pay the fare myself, but it seems like Mickey has no intention of leaving the party.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I mean this sincerely when I say that I was actually more gutted reading this article when I got home, than I was at the final whistle. Mickey's single-mindedness is one of the main reasons for his remarkable success but, at the moment, it seems to be clouding his judgement. I hope that he takes stock over the next few weeks and realises that, for the good of the county, Tyrone need to freshen things up and start again in many aspects of our set-up.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:49 am

Did i read the report right just two points from play, that must be a record low for Tyrone in a home championship game? a number of teams around the same level as Armagh should have beaten Tyrone on route to their All Ireland semi final last year i suppose if you continue to sail close to the wind you will be eventually caught.

Comfortable Connacht final win for Mayo had Galway at arms length throughout however should be concerned by with their defending that is not as solid as recent years. Big win for Kildare would have expected that to be a closer game.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:54 am

- Yesterday was a poor game between two poor sides. Despite dominating possession and playing against an inept 14 man side, Armagh were unable to extend their lead beyond a kick of the ball. I'd expect Roscommon to beat them next weekend.

- Having said that, Armagh were well worth their victory yesterday. They were hungrier for the ball and more robust in the tackle. Whatever football was played was played by Armagh.

- Tyrone were awful, both in application and execution. Aside from a couple of little spurts, we looked lethargic and we made little impact on the broken ball.

- Tyrone's kick passing was awful. On countless occasions we turned the ball over with extremely poor passsing, especially when on the break. I was susprised to see Shay McGuigan dropped, as he is one of the few players we have who can deliver a decent pass to a FF line.

- Although he wasn't playing well, I was susprised to see Ciaran McGinley substituted after we went a man down. McGinley is perhaps the strongest runner on our panel, and could have been very useful when playing the second half with a man short. The likes of Coney, O'Neill and Niall McKenna were ill-afforded luxuries when we were chasing the game with 14 men.

- I can't understand how Colm Cavanagh lasted the game. He was completely lost after the clash that saw McNamee injured, and I'd suspect that Colm too wasn't right after that collission. He was an aimless passenger for the last 50 minutes.

- We scored 2 points from play, one at the start of each half, meaning that we went 35+ minutes in each period without a score from open play. For all the talk about our defence, it has been our forwards that were the biggest problem in our two defeats.

- I was susprised and disappointed to see Mickey state his intent to continue so quickly after the game, as I feel that a period of genuine reflection would have been more appropriate. Despite us seemingly making progress in reaching an AI semi last year, only 6 of those players started yesterday, while he used an incredible total of 33 players in our 5 games this summer. Sadly, and this is no way reflects on Mickey's wonderful achievements in the past, but it is clear that Mickey has no idea where he is taking this set of players.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:01 pm

Mayo, despite a handy retention of the Nestor Cup, are there for the taking IMO. The ease with which a modest Galway side mowed through their half-back line would worry me if I was a Mayo supporter. Granted they move forward with pace and purpose, but are subjecting themselves to an absolute raping should they be turned over quickly. They are playing an attractive style, which while fine in Connacht will be exposed against cuter opposition. Semi-finalists.

Kildare remain one of the unanswered mysteries. They're finishing games strongly and shooting big scores, but don't seem to get to the pace of things quickly enough. Ryan is getting like Counihane, starting 15 and making it up as he goes along. I fear the lad is a bit of a bluffer. Quarter-finalists.

Galway put 16 scores on Mayo, missed a penalty, hit the bar (Walsh) with a thunderbolt, the post (Conroy) and missed a hat of chances. There's more in them, but will face a stern test in Tipperary who are playing with flair and abandon. Their full-back line must be the loosest markers left in the race, surely there are more pacy, aggressive corner-backs within the county than what we've seen on Sunday. Quarter-finalists.

Any other opinions guys  Idea
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:27 pm

Frank McGlynn - player of the year 125/1
Dublin 4/6 to win Sam

I'm opting for value
OMAR
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3126

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:07 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Very experienced Dublin team to face Meath sunday

Unreal subs bench

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 179

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:46 am

champers wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Very experienced Dublin team to face Meath sunday

Unreal subs bench

Taking no chances as they know Meath are one side that can on their day put it up to them. Connacht,Munster finals very disappointing viewing and the Ulster final will likely be a defensive struggle this Leinster final could be a good open game of football with plenty of goals.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York

Back to top Go down

Post  samin12 Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:06 pm

Roscommon getting some very soft frees. Armagh playing well thought

samin12
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

armagh
Number of posts : 185

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:43 pm

Kildare have a battle on their hands in Ennis, trailing by 3 at the break.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:49 pm

Good win by Armagh. Thought Roscommon looked fairly clueless. McKeever class as were mallen and clarke.

Up the Banner!
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:56 am

[quote="RMDrive"]Good win by Armagh. Thought Roscommon looked fairly clueless. McKeever class as were mallen and clarke.

Up the Banner![/quote]

Feckin' Clare. Leading 12 - 6 with 10 mins gone in 2nd. half and failed to score thereafter. Disaster. They should have foregone the option of Cusack Park and brought the game out to Miltown-Malbay. The atmosphere alone would have been worth 3/4 points, ergo: a sneaky little victory.
Memo to Leitrim C/B: All games in 2015 (if we're still playing senior) above in Cloone.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:39 am

Armagh were strong,composed well organised and played to a well drilled system the Rossies the opposite. In the build up some Armagh supporters spoke about their concern about 4 games 4 weeks as it turned out their fitness was in peak condition and the momentum they got from winning in Tyrone last week was clear to see.

Roscommon are better than what they displayed however only one game in six weeks (non contest v Cavan) probably had them well off the pace they also need a few years in div 2 competing against better sides if they are to reach their potential.

Hard luck to Clare were going so well but seem to run of stream towards the end they proved today that the performance v Kerry was no fluke and will be looking to improve further next year.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:19 pm

A few thoughts on the weekend's action:

- Armagh were very good and, I'll concede, have improved on their form of the last couple of years. They were stronger and better organised that Roscommon, and they played a more direct brand of football too. I like their midfielders, and their power and energy has been a big reason for their progress. Roscommon should come on in division 2 next year, but it's a real shame that Armagh will be in the 3rd tier.

- Kildare under Jason Ryan remain as they were under Kieran McGeeney - the most unpredictable side in Ireland. They can look so good at times, and so poor at others. Last night was one of their bad days, and Clare almost snuck a great win.

- As I expected, Dublin did put down a statement of intent today. They started quickly, and only took their foot off the Royal throat when they went 20 points ahead on the hour mark. Barring an injury crisis, they won't be beaten this year and, before long, will be pushing the 1970s team as Greatest Ever Dublin Side.

- I don't like Jim Gavin, largely because he is dishonest when it comes to team selections and turns a blind eye to anything negative that his side does. However, I will concede that his side are superb to watch. Fast, powerful football that mixes the intricate with the direct. They really are a dazzling team when at their best.

- The suspicion was that Meath weren't as good as they looked against Kildare but, by the same token, they aren't quite as poor as they seemed today. They have some very good players (Reilly, Keoghan, Newman are top class), but they still have too many average lads. Armagh will be a big test of their resolve.

- Donegal were good today, comfortably taking control against Monaghan, and then keeping the Farneymen at arm's length for the remainder of the game. They look strong and fit, and Ryan McHugh's emergence has off-set the loss of his brother. However, the rush to proclaim them as back to their 2012 levels is premature - they need more out of Murphy, and much much more out of Colm Anthony for the challenges ahead.

- Monaghan were what they are- wiling but limited. I've heard a lot of talk about the great young players that they've unearthed, but none of them are attackers. Hold McManus and Kieran Hughes and they won't beat any of the better-than-average sides. They are also missing Eoin Lennon in midfield, as Clerkin should be no more than an impact sub at this stage of his career.

- Monaghan/Kildare and Armagh/Meath will both be interesting games. The extra week for the losing provincial finalists will make a big difference, and both games are very hard to call at this point.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next