GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GAA set to announce SKY Sports deal

+3
bald eagle
champers
Thomas Clarke
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

GAA set to announce SKY Sports deal Empty GAA set to announce SKY Sports deal

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:07 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

For better or worse, this could be one of the biggest developments that we've seen within the organisation in quite some time.

Are we in favour of the increased money and exposure that it will bring, or is it the end of any link to the origins of the association? What are the thoughts of our posters?
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

GAA set to announce SKY Sports deal Empty Re: GAA set to announce SKY Sports deal

Post  champers Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:29 pm

Well if you are moving to paying the players this could be a good move,if not this might just blow up in there faces.Murdoch is a baddy

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin
Number of posts : 179

Back to top Go down

GAA set to announce SKY Sports deal Empty Re: GAA set to announce SKY Sports deal

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:40 pm

This sounds like SKY are dipping their toe in the water. If the ratings are good, it won't be at all long before they are pushing for rights to the biggest games.

Still, as Champers says, it depends where we are heading as an organisation. I can see the good and bad in this.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:16 am

Extra exposure is only a good thing when it comes to the global brand of the GAA, this is good for a number of reasons in my book. 1)Exposure to potential newcomers to the game that have zero Irish connections in the UK 2) increased potential uptake by those people and their family members to local/new clubs in the UK. 3) increased potiental revenue stream to help fund the grass roots of the GAA in Ireland. These are to name a few!

Gaelic games are a summer sport and all that is really played in the UK in the summer are the minority sports of cricket & Rugby League, if this deal is rolled out across Britain then the potential uptake is huge and very exciting for me as I love to see our games played by non-Irish! Of course you will get the people who will give out that the money is going into the GAA coffers, but ultimately that money makes its way down to your club eventually! Will it lead to player payments & professionalism? Perhaps, but players already get paid in the form of grants so this method of payment may increase, as for professionalism, well how such a thing can be implemented while maintaining the current systems of playing for your county only remains to be seen. Would it be fair for a player from a county that only plays 2 championship games to get the same money as a player from the all Ireland champions? No, of course not. If payments to players was championship performance related, would a talented player from such an unsuccessful county eventually get his head turned if a successful or ambitious county came calling with a better performance related payment package? Perhaps. It's issues like these that will hold the GAA back from professionalism! However, I refuse to listen to the lad Walsh from Kerry giving out about the Sky deal and the GAAs amateur ethos when he has bent over for the $! Managers get paid fortunes already, so the GAA amateur ethos is already in question!

The GAA may also see the added exposure as something of a cross to bear also, when professional clubs in Britain see the athletic ability of our star players you may see another exodus of talent to different codes with the lure of the £ being too tempting to turn down!

I honestly don't mind our players turning pro in other codes, I would do the same if I had the talent, but I wouldn't start flinging flans at the GAA for seeking New exposure options, the world market is one they have left to exiles like myself to help run, but recently they have seen that the world market is a potential money pit should they crack it!

GAA on Sky? Bring it on!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:13 pm

Also, Sky are only doing this as they have lost so much coverage to BTSport, let's not forget that this is the real reason for their flirtations with the GAA! If netball can be on Sky Sports, then Gaelic Games are well deserving of their place on there also.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:10 pm

Fine post Beagle. The pros' and cons' well outlined. Let's see where this hare sets.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6922

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:26 pm

Cheers boxty, I welcome a debate on the worldwide potential (Definate UK potential) of Gaelic Games with anyone! I am really excited about this (hopeful) deal!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:42 pm

bald eagle wrote:Cheers boxty, I welcome a debate on the worldwide potential (Definate UK potential) of Gaelic Games with anyone! I am really excited about this (hopeful) deal!

You're not the only one excited by it Beagle, Jeff and the boys are getting worked up already....

Personally I can't see what the brúaha has been all about all day here on Radio. Every caller to Whineline bar one was scathing of the GAA. Many of these appeared utter Nearderthals, rambling on about "poor oul' lads in the West of Ireland" to the poor lads and lassies who train and coach, blah blah.
The reality is that these very same people would have opposed removing the ban, banned the handpass, retained Rule 21, kept Croke Park closed, opposed anything not pertinent to their Grandfathers time.

It's the 21st. century, it's dog eat dog in the commercial world and whether they like it or not, if we don't move forward we're in danger of being steamrollered by competition. I was onto my BIL in Perth, an avid Gael and he's delighted. Many of these "naysayers" already had SkySports anyway.

Flintstones....GAA set to announce SKY Sports deal Smiley14
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:51 pm

Paraic Duffy showed up the Gaa in a bad light last night on prime time total disgrace,is he a volunteer or a high paid employee.If the Gaa wanted to promote Gaa abroad fine but they should not have stopped the Irish public from seen all games on free to air they gave away 33% of championship games not a good start

Sky must be laughing all the way to the bank thick paddies,world wide subscription's for sky for a little more than what tv 3 were paying the gaa

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:57 pm

I heard the same moans when sky bought the EPL rights, Times change and things have to move on! Sky are here so deal with it! People want everything for free yet moan when the GAA lose money! The same people moan about the GAA yet hardly attend club games!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:07 pm

bald eagle wrote:I heard the same moans when sky bought the EPL rights, Times change and things have to move on! Sky are here so deal with it! People want everything for free yet moan when the GAA lose money! The same people moan about the GAA yet hardly attend club games!

People get nothing for free what do you mean,we have to pay a licence fee which is paid to the gaa to watch games,cop on to yourself its a game played by players who get nothing bar the elite players,if you want to push the armchair supporters away from watching our national sports fair enough,my grand father would even understand at this stage of his life why he should pay to watch gaa no point even explaining it to him at this stage of his life. i suppose by your opinion above he can go back to listening to it on wireless well thank you very much

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:22 pm

Even better news, Eddie Moroney has been head-hunted as chief commentator. He'll bring a true insight into all the parochial content of our games (there will be sub-titles). He's a great catch for Sky in fairness.

All this crying about feck all, there's 31 games free to air, what's wrong with slinging up a dish and getting hooked up on the sly....It's only about €1k. a year anyhow if you want to see a few meaningless qualifiers and you can gorge on 20/20 cricket, netball and beach volleyball after that. Great value (if you like it).

It's 2014 not 1914.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:50 am

champers wrote:
bald eagle wrote:I heard the same moans when sky bought the EPL rights, Times change and things have to move on! Sky are here so deal with it! People want everything for free yet moan when the GAA lose money! The same people moan about the GAA yet hardly attend club games!

People get nothing for free what do you mean,we have to pay a licence fee which is paid to the gaa to watch games,cop on to yourself its a game played by players who get nothing bar the elite players,if you want to push the armchair supporters away from watching our national sports fair enough,my grand father would even understand at this stage of his life why he should pay to watch gaa no point even explaining it to him at this stage of his life. i suppose by your opinion above he can go back to listening to it on wireless well thank you very much

Yawn! Everyone has to pay a licence fee regardless of what they watch, not just to the GAA! You know fine rightly what i meany when i said the people want everything for free, perhaps i should have put some sort of small print on the bottom of my post? You missed out having to pay for electricity in your pedantic retort!

The deal is great for the GAA, RTE still get the lions share of the games so i fail to see why you are moaning as much as you are, should the GAA not move forward commercially because some people in Ireland want to watch GAA FREE TO AIR? If RTE wanted the Championships so much it would have pushed the boat out a bit to get it!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  champers Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:38 am

This is a great deal for sky and the people that pay sky sports subscription,if i was an immigrant i would be delighted to pay for the sports channel and have access to the gaa abroad.Its interesting that sky wanted ulster/leinster 1/4 final wonder why for the good of promoting the game.

This will drive the numbers down for watching these games,might even send people back to the wireless which might be the best thing to come out of this.Find it hard how you can't understand why this is a bad deal for the people on this island.Maybe if your county is lucky enough to reach the last 8 and play Dublin and its a classic,and you get back to Derry and ask people did you watch the match and they say no we don't have sky you might cop on and realize on this will have a bad effect on the game here

We have 500,000 unemployed we have nearly 2 million people on pensions where in gods name do you think they are going to get money to pay sky sports,its funny how the gaa turned on rte yesterday because they asked a few questions that they didn't want to answer

Is that because they have sky at there back now ,won't be long till they have it all,players seem to be happy sky are on board but i would guess they are thinking this might be the start of the move to maybe semi-Professional sport

This is my last comment on it i am not happy with the move,on the grounds we forget about the people with least access to sky,i could never have the attitude i'm OK jack pull up the ladder

I was not brought up that way

champers
200 posts for rank
200 posts for rank

dublin

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:10 pm

champers wrote:

This will drive the numbers down for watching these games,might even send people back to the wireless which might be the best thing to come out of this.Find it hard how you can't understand why this is a bad deal for the people on this island.Maybe if your county is lucky enough to reach the last 8 and play Dublin and its a classic,and you get back to Derry and ask people did you watch the match and they say no we don't have sky you might cop on and realize on this will have a bad effect on the game here

We have 500,000 unemployed we have nearly 2 million people on pensions where in gods name do you think they are going to get money to pay sky sports,its funny how the gaa turned on rte yesterday because they asked a few questions that they didn't want to answer

RTE simply asked difficult questions due to the fact they stand to look like the amateurs they are by Sky, if they really cared they would have paid top dollar for the coverage, it was there to bid on! They can hardly be impartial in all of this as they are smarting from having a decent challenge and losing out on having exclusive rights on the All Ireland finals!

Where will people get the money? I don't know, but again, should the GAA stop moving forward commercially because the island of Ireland have people out of work?

With your ridiculous comment about people from Derry not being able to see a game, don't you think that they may perhaps go to a mates house who has Sky TV to watch the game? Silly of me to think of such an outlandish idea eh? On the flip side, it may actually get more Derry GAA fans out to watch their county, well those than can afford it anyhow (bad GAA charging people into games!) but i can't imagine that anyone wanting to see a game badly enough will have to sit beside a wireless as it is impossible to see the game anywhere! Sensationalist nonsense!

Hopefully the Sky machine goes into overdrive and we get to see kids from London, Birmingham begging to play our games, hey why stop there, hopefully we will get kids from areas of the UK where there are zero GAA clubs looking to start their own like they do in Europe! Then again, you couldn't give a stuff about that because the biggest thing you have to worry about is the fact you may not get to see Dublin on TV in the All Ireland Quarter final! Who needs global progress for the GAA eh? It's Irelands game and the rest can get stuffed eh?

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:31 am

whats in this for any of us???? - only man making out of this is Murdoch himself.

Is it going to bring any more spectators? Cant see their being a huge increase, talk all you want about free to air games, this is the start of a process where it will end up with next to no free to air games!!! Alienating the ordinary man and woman on the street. Head to a mates house to watch a match, FFS you'd look a right **** turning up at your mates house every turn round

Is there any money in it for grass roots? doubt it very much it will all be creamed off much higher up the chain.

What was wrong with it the way it was, OK commentators arent great but whats the alternative some English **** who knows even less, on their introduction to GAA the other day Sky referred to Mayo as last years All Ireland winners - great research that!!!!!

might be great for those who live outside the Emerald Isle but i dont see much benefit for anyone else
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:53 pm

There is NO connection between the promotion of the GAA overseas and a PPV deal done with Sky. One cannot be used to explain the other.
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:34 pm

RMDrive wrote:There is NO connection between the promotion of the GAA overseas and a PPV deal done with Sky. One cannot be used to explain the other.

Since the coverage has yet to start you are indeed correct, however if you look at any of my posts i have always said this COULD be great for promotion for GAA overseas!  As i have said on Twitter, no TV company gives a toss about the promotion of any sport RTE included, it is all about the ratings, any added exposure and promotion will be a by-product of this deal!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:37 pm

bocerty wrote:whats in this for any of us???? - only man making out of this is Murdoch himself.

Is it going to bring any more spectators?  Cant see their being a huge increase, talk all you want about free to air games, this is the start of a process where it will end up with next to no free to air games!!!  Alienating the ordinary man and woman on the street.  Head to a mates house to watch a match, FFS you'd look a right **** turning up at your mates house every turn round

Or you could just go to the ****ing game, bringing more spectators AND getting to see the game! Win win!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:05 pm

bald eagle wrote:
bocerty wrote:whats in this for any of us???? - only man making out of this is Murdoch himself.

Is it going to bring any more spectators?  Cant see their being a huge increase, talk all you want about free to air games, this is the start of a process where it will end up with next to no free to air games!!!  Alienating the ordinary man and woman on the street.  Head to a mates house to watch a match, FFS you'd look a right **** turning up at your mates house every turn round

Or you could just go to the ****ing game, bringing more spectators AND getting to see the game!  Win win!

thats a totally different argument altogether
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  RMDrive Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:15 pm

bald eagle wrote:
RMDrive wrote:There is NO connection between the promotion of the GAA overseas and a PPV deal done with Sky. One cannot be used to explain the other.

Since the coverage has yet to start you are indeed correct, however if you look at any of my posts i have always said this COULD be great for promotion for GAA overseas!  As i have said on Twitter, no TV company gives a toss about the promotion of any sport RTE included, it is all about the ratings, any added exposure and promotion will be a by-product of this deal!

Think you may have misunderstood me. I think the availability of our games all over the UK and the world is a great thing and I'm delighted about. But we didn't have to sign a PPV deal with Sky to achieve that. We just had to do it.
There are pros and cons to the Sky deal but I get annoyed when it is suggested that this was the "price" we had to pay to get the overseas coverage. It wasn't.

Last edited by RMDrive on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Misunderstood)
RMDrive
RMDrive
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Donegal
Number of posts : 3117

Back to top Go down

Post  Loyal2TheRoyal Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:24 pm

The biggest loss is the two football Quarter Finals to be shown on Sky.

Sky to show:
Kilkenny vs Offaly (Hurling)
Wexford vs Dublin (Hurling)
Sligo vs Galway/London (Football)
Armagh/Cavan vs Down/Tyrone/Monaghan (Football)

Eight Qualifier Games (Football & Hurling)

Two Quarter-Finals (Football)

You will probably get a good qualifier here and there too, e.g. in 2013 you had Kilkenny vs Tipperary (Hurling) and Tyrone vs Kildare (Football). A repeat of such fixtures would be on Sky.

Really for the people without Sky the biggest loss will be the Saturday evening fixtures. The Sunday coverage does not look like it'll be affected.

Anyone got the figures for a Sky Sports subscription? Is it possible to buy one for 4 months (buy May, cancel August)?
Loyal2TheRoyal
Loyal2TheRoyal
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Meath
Number of posts : 3089

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:40 pm

As far as I know L2TR it's an additional €30 or thereabouts per month. I have the standard Sky package with add-ons' of (coughs) childrens channels and some other odds and ends but without sports or movies.
This costs €50 per month. You can have the sports added at the above cost for 3 months if you wish, then revert to the standard package.
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:41 pm

In addition to paying the full SKY package, I spent years paying for Premier Sports or Setanta as I was unable to watch gaelic games while living in England.  On many other occasions it was waiting for posted DVDs of that Sunday's footage.  The Premier/Setanta payment alone was c.£200 per year.  

I didn't hear much uproar coming from the homeland at that time, no accusations of the GAA selling out. Perhaps that was because it was only exiles who were affected.  What was it Champers said:  'I'm alright Jack'.  Indeed, you were.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:21 am

Sky-boxes (with surplus vibro-plate) for sale....Contact Boxty.
We mighn't win many Sams, but we're always ready for the fast buck. I'm looking at them as I photographed them, a quick tweak - €100  (The Crane), €100 for cabling and fitting (Dauber) and Introductory fee €100 (Boxty) and you have the full package, Sky Sports/Movies/Documentaries - the lot for a year for €300.

Now lads, for God's sake, am I robbing you?

GAA set to announce SKY Sports deal Sky11
Boxtyeater
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next