The 2013 British Open....Muirfield.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The 2013 British Open....Muirfield.

Post  Boxtyeater on Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:52 pm

The Open returns to Muirfield after 11 years in the morning. A noble sporting event. Not an easy course, although both Tom Watson and Faldo carded -7's when shooting 64's on their way to the Claret Jug in 1980 and 1992 respectively...

Pawd-rig was on the wireless this morning, rabbiting on about the course, apparently he "loves it"  Suspect 

Mickleson to win @ 16/1.
Ernie Els to win/place @ 30/1.
Luis Oosthuizen to bring home the bacon @ 70/1.

The corpulent Biffo to have a hole in one @ 1000/1 is great value.

Most morning's I'd scope a few p/w's off the lawn for the small ones to chase. Out of 10 wedges yesterday only 6 were returned. Whether they're not paying enough attention or the after-grass is too strong I'll have to monitor more closely. There might have been 1/2 shanks thrown in.
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim
Number of posts : 6970

Back to top Go down

Re: The 2013 British Open....Muirfield.

Post  Thomas Clarke on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:06 pm

The last 7 winners at Muirfield have been Player, Nicklaus, Trevino, Watson, Faldo (x2) and Els, so it looks like a course in which the greats rise to the top.

Mickleson is in serious form - has been for a while - and must be in with a great shout. Sergio Garcia is one of the biggest chokers and least gutsy golfers I've ever seen, but he is playing very well and has the talent to win, so perhaps the stars will align for him as they did for the similarly blessed/afflicted Darren Clarke 2 years ago.

An E/W bet on Brooks Koepka (150-1) could also give you a run for your money.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4209

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:42 pm

My man Jason Day is getting my backing again! I've made shitloads on him placing lately"

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:44 pm

bald eagle wrote:My man Jason Day is getting my backing again! I've made shitloads on him placing lately"

Wouldn't mind seeing him win. Seems like a good guy, and has been close several times.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:47 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:The Open returns to Muirfield after 11 years in the morning. A noble sporting event. Not an easy course, although both Tom Watson and Faldo carded -7's when shooting 64's on their way to the Claret Jug in 1980 and 1992 respectively...

Pawd-rig was on the wireless this morning, rabbiting on about the course, apparently he "loves it"  Suspect 

Mickleson to win @ 16/1.
Ernie Els to win/place @ 30/1.
Luis Oosthuizen to bring home the bacon @ 70/1.

The corpulent Biffo to have a hole in one @ 1000/1 is great value.

Most morning's I'd scope a few p/w's off the lawn for the small ones to chase. Out of 10 wedges yesterday only 6 were returned. Whether they're not paying enough attention or the after-grass is too strong I'll have to monitor more closely. There might have been 1/2 shanks thrown in.

It's less expensive if you hold onto to the club and just hit the ball. Two dozen lake balls in Aldi should be less than a tenner. Failing that the gardners net over the strawberries should have served its original purpose by this stage of the summer.

OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan
Number of posts : 3143

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:53 pm

[quote="Thomas Clarke"]
bald eagle wrote:My man Jason Day is getting my backing again! I've made shitloads on him placing lately"

Wouldn't mind seeing him win.  Seems like a good guy, and has been close several times.[/

Fairways like runways and presume little wind. Different dynamic to most links tournaments. All about touch and putting.
Need to ponder this one.

Tiger will go round this with a 7 iron

OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:56 pm

OMAR wrote:
Fairways like runways and presume little wind. Different dynamic to most links tournaments. All about touch and putting.
Need to ponder this one.

Snedeker?
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:18 pm

Thomas Clarke wrote:
OMAR wrote:
Need to ponder this one.

Snedeker?

AAt the halfway point I stand by my original selection. Seems the kind of conditions where you need to take the rare birdie opportunity but a huge amount of par saving from off the green.

One thing that has always struck me about Tiger is if he has a 10 footer for par and same putt for birdie he seems to have a hugely better ratio on the par- savers.

And it's that type of course. Wind is a huge factor too but becomes a leveller after the cut as leaders are bunched. Weather on links has a huge luck factor in first two days.

OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:32 pm

The whole place smacks of playing in an airport. Wedges running 200 yds.....Shocked 
Mickleson the eejit took 4 putts coming to the end at one hole (17 Question ) to stall his prospects - not out of it yet. Woods looking dangerous, but I'm now rooting for Cabrera. Fat old Grandad and all that.....Wahey!!!!
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:03 pm

I was very impressed with Big Darren today. Played brilliantly, and even his quadruple bogey at the 8th didn't seem to dent his good humour. Looks like a man very content with his game again. As soon as he won the Open in 2011, I said that he'd never again win another tournament. I'd love to be wrong.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle on Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:42 pm

I honestly couldn't care less if Clarke wins another tournament or not, he's a major winner and no one can ever take that away from him. I was delighted to see him win it in 2011, he may be on the other side of the slope career wise but he has something old Grumpy Balls Monty would give his right leg for!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2764

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater on Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:24 pm

Super golf from Westwood today. Played very sensibly, putted well and had a slice of good fortune.
Any of those within 4 can still do it. I'm not writing Mickleson off just yet but he needs to play well.

Adam Scott in with a great chance to redress last years failure. Hopefully someone with a bit of charisma wins it in the end.
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:36 pm

Boxtyeater wrote:Super golf from Westwood today. Played very sensibly, putted well and had a slice of good fortune.
Any of those within 4 can still do it. I'm not writing Mickleson off just yet but he needs to play well.

Adam Scott in with a great chance to redress last years failure. Hopefully someone with a bit of charisma wins it in the end.

I'd say even those as far back as +2 or +3 will have slight hopes. There aren't many in front of the likes of Garcia or Dustin Johnson at +3, and they'll think that a 68, combined with a bad day for Westwood, might leave them very close.

Adam Scott is the most consistent golfer in major championships over the last 2 years, and I can't help but wonder what affect Stevie Williams would have on Rory McIlroy's game if he was caddying for him.

I wouldn't begrudge Westwood a win and, given how well he's playing, it's unlikely he'll ever have as good a chance.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:11 pm

I wouldn't begrudge Westwood either in fairness.

Funnily, some bint was interviewing a "Scotsman" called Mark Laird yesterday, who told us how much he loved links golf, the Scottish support, coming home and all that blah blah type of guff, in an accent more
Poughkeepsie than Pitlochry.

Peter Alliss "breathed" this evening how Mark had 22 strokes over 3 holes (15-17)...9,7 and 6......

"Oh Dear Oh Dear, he won't enjoy his sirloin tonight when he thinks of this" murmured Peter....
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke on Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:06 pm

Well done Phil - one of the good guys, and great to hear such a talented man explain how he had to work at his game in order to win on a true links course.

Fair play to Poulter too for a great round - I know most don't like him, but I'm a fan.

Westwood will take a while to get over this loss.

Woods has gone from being the ultimate closer, to being the invisible man on Sunday afternoon in the majors.
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Boxtyeater on Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:47 pm

"I'm not writing Mickleson off just yet but he needs to play well."

I'm 160 reasons happier that the great man responded to my faith in him by playing really well today.
He's a beautiful golfer with a lovely touch from 100 meters out. Played sensibly and skillfully, flashed the big goofy smile at every opportunity and gave a heart-felt cúpla focail in the aftermath.

A sound skin if ever there was one...
Boxtyeater
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Leitrim

Back to top Go down

Post  OMAR on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:21 pm

[quote="Boxtyeater"]"I'm not writing Mickleson off just yet but he needs to play well."

I'm 160 reasons happier that the great man responded to my faith in him by playing really well today.
He's a beautiful golfer with a lovely touch from 100 meters out. Played sensibly and skillfully, flashed the big goofy smile at every opportunity and gave a heart-felt cúpla focail in the aftermath.

A sound skin if ever there was one...[/quote
Tiger cost me 500 (winnings not stake)
Donegal lost the Ulster final
Froome won the Tour de France
England are kings of the cricket world
Someone will tell me next that United have signed Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar and that Ferguson has come out of retirement
OMAR
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Cavan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top