GAA Tipster
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Armagh in crisis?

+3
bald eagle
Grenvile
Thomas Clarke
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Armagh in crisis? Empty Armagh in crisis?

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:43 pm

Hot on the heels of their embarrassing USFC defeat to Cavan, Armagh appear set to lose stars Jamie Clarke & Ciaran McKeever to the USA. Rumours abound that both men will be going west, whatever the outcome of this weekend's qualifier battle with Wicklow.

Is there truth in this? And, if so, what are our thoughts?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone
Number of posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Armagh in crisis? Empty Re: Armagh in crisis?

Post  Grenvile Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:11 pm

I think you meant to say "their defeat at the hands of Cavan where they used embarrassingly naive tactics".... Mad

Rumours circulated about a few Cavan lads going to America earlier in the year. I said at the time if they have a plan to go whenever they are knocked out then fair enough. If they have a date decided and intend to go regardless then they should be removed from the panel, whether you're Jamie Clarke or not.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois
Number of posts : 2239

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:29 pm

My own thoughts are that Armagh have done a lot to accommodate Jamie Clarke over the last couple of years, even finding him a job with the county team's sponsor.  He has missed considerable time due to Crossmaglen, and has also been to the states and round the world.  it really seems like he's here one minute, and gone the next, and that is no help to any manager trying to build a team.

Amateur footballers are free to travel where they want, but there are a couple of elements of this story which don't sit well with me.  Firstly, Clarke & McKeever are being enticed to the states by money.  This is not a lad going to London in search of work - these lads are being paid to play gaelic football, and surely it is time the GAA cracked down on this.  Secondly, as JS has said, if you make a commitment to 30 other fellas, it is poor form to break this commitment.  Go to the states by all means, but not after you've promised to stay at home.

Whether or not this comes to fruition, it doesn't reflect well on the mood in the Armagh camp, nor their faith in Grimley.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:34 pm

Is there a deadline for summer transfers to the US?

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:42 pm

Jonsmith wrote:Is there a deadline for summer transfers to the US?

I'm not sure, but that would be one way around this problem. Would make lads declare their hand before the start of the championship.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:15 pm

Lads that are in county Championship squads should not be allowed to play in the US of God damn A in that season as long as their county remains in the Championship proper or the qualifier series.

Its the clubs i feel for, not Cross but tge small clubs that have been lucky enough to produce a player worthy of making a county team, only for him to p1ss off to Yankieland and ruin their club championship ambitions.

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire
Number of posts : 2746

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:30 pm

That beating by Cavan may be a blessing in disguise and the kick up the **** Armagh desperately needed.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32
Number of posts : 3377

http://www.globalgaa.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Grenvile Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:23 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:That beating by Cavan may be a blessing in disguise and the kick up the **** Armagh desperately needed.

May I ask why getting beaten by Cavan is a kick up the ****? Armagh have hardly been a top tier team in the past few years and were a hairs breath away from being a Division 3 team in 2014. Perhaps the draw against Wicklow and the beating by Roscommon should have been a reality check for Armagh supporters in recent years. It appears not though.

Grenvile
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Laois

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:40 pm

It was a kick up the **** because the team need to realize they need to perform to win games no matter who the opposition is. Today was a good start, we aren't going to win anything but a nice solid run is achievable.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:48 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:It was a kick up the **** because the team need to realize they need to perform to win games no matter who the opposition is. Today was a good start, we aren't going to win anything but a nice solid run is achievable.

It was a good response indeed. Like Tyrone, Armagh were lucky to have had several weeks to prepare for the qualifiers. This gave them a chance to get over their losses, and get their plans and heads in order (especially important in Armagh's case, given the supposed heated conversations within the camp).

Given that I don't really believe there are genuinely 30-odd points between them, this result says a lot about both sides: Armagh have pride in their jersey; Wicklow do not.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:14 am

Jonsmith wrote:
GAA-Fan wrote:That beating by Cavan may be a blessing in disguise and the kick up the **** Armagh desperately needed.

May I ask why getting beaten by Cavan is a kick up the ****? Armagh have hardly been a top tier team in the past few years and were a hairs breath away from being a Division 3 team in 2014. Perhaps the draw against Wicklow and the beating by Roscommon should have been a reality check for Armagh supporters in recent years. It appears not though.

I seen it posted elsewhere that Armagh fans hope to be paired against Cavan or Roscommon because Armagh won't be complacent again. A good win against Wicklow side who are Div 4 level and gave up however it's time some Armagh fans realise their isn't a lot between Cavan,Roscommon and themselves.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:36 pm

Gaa_lover wrote:
Jonsmith wrote:

I seen it posted elsewhere that Armagh fans hope to be paired against Cavan or Roscommon because Armagh won't be complacent again. A good win against Wicklow side who are Div 4 level and gave up however it's time some Armagh fans realise their isn't a lot between Cavan,Roscommon and themselves.

The reason Armagh fans want Cavan or Rosscommon is to right some wrongs, in both games Armagh never played. Most Armagh fans would agree, we are nowhere near the force we once were but we have a team that can play football but all too often the team flatlines. I am not taking anything away from Cavan or Roscommon, they can only beat what is put in front of them and they did. Wicklow drew with Armagh two years ago, Armagh has changed its setup drastically since then.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:02 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:
Wicklow drew with Armagh two years ago, Armagh has changed its setup drastically since then.

Playing devil's advocate, GF, you could be reading too much into the massacre of Wicklow. In the last 2 years, Armagh have done nothing in the championship (losing to Roscommon and Cavan), have been relegated from division 1 and narrowly avoided being relegated from division 2. There have been many more bad days than good in the last 24 months, so I wouldn't get too excited by yesterday's performance. Credit to them for turning up with a lot of spirit, especially after all the criticism, but we'll know more about Armagh by the end of this month.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  GAA-Fan Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:59 pm

Like I said before, Armagh aren't going to win anything but they are capable of beating Cavan and Roscommon. I think Armagh have the right players they just need the right tactics. Armagh were left exposed at the back against Cavan, if the defence was tightened up it would have been a lot closer.
GAA-Fan
GAA-Fan
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

All 32

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:10 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:Like I said before, Armagh aren't going to win anything but they are capable of beating Cavan and Roscommon. I think Armagh have the right players they just need the right tactics. Armagh were left exposed at the back against Cavan, if the defence was tightened up it would have been a lot closer.

I'd agree that Armagh are capable of beating Cavan or Roscommon, but those sides are also capable of beating Armagh. On their good days, Armagh can look like the 10th best team in Ireland, and on their bad days they look like a side outside the top 20. In that regard, they are the same as 8-10 other teams. Still, yesterday's win will give them a big lift, and they have a nice draw against Leitrim, so every chance that they will be around for a while yet.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaa_lover Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:43 pm

GAA-Fan wrote:Like I said before, Armagh aren't going to win anything but they are capable of beating Cavan and Roscommon. I think Armagh have the right players they just need the right tactics. Armagh were left exposed at the back against Cavan, if the defence was tightened up it would have been a lot closer.

In fairness Cavan,Roscommon have the right players as well both have been doing better than Armagh at underage level and prob need the right tactics to bring those players on at senior level. Armagh have the pick of Crossmaglen players while in Roscommons case they have the St Brigids guys.

Gaa_lover
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

New York
Number of posts : 308

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:49 am

seems to be a big crisis looming behind the scenes in Armagh too, the County Secretary was stood down from his position last Monday night at County Board meeting.

Artlcle in Irish News said he stood down but then used the lines "he didnt want to go".

Sources tell me that massive financial problems are the root cause of the crisis and that HQ have been bailing them out for a while now. Source also revealed how much McGeeney is getting and it is scary money!!!!!!

bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone
Number of posts : 5899

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:58 am

bocerty wrote:seems to be a big crisis looming behind the scenes in Armagh too, the County Secretary was stood down from his position last Monday night at County Board meeting.  

Artlcle in Irish News said he stood down but then used the lines "he didnt want to go".

Sources tell me that massive financial problems are the root cause of the crisis and that HQ have been bailing them out for a while now.  Source also revealed how much McGeeney is getting and it is scary money!!!!!!

Yeah, I also heard a couple of days ago that there were major financial problems in Armagh. They really do seem to be in an awful mess, and a long period in the footballing doldrums looks to be on the cards.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  johnnos bulls Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:44 pm

I'd nearly feel sorry for them.

However the trup from the 40ish yr old woman from Armagh blowing into her vuvuzela in pairc sean, after they scored their 7th goal against us last year is still resonating in my head.
johnnos bulls
johnnos bulls
GAA Minor
GAA Minor

Leitrim
Number of posts : 320

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:59 pm

Bocerty has more 'sources' that the lads at Fleet Street FFS!!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:28 am

bald eagle wrote:Bocerty has more 'sources' that the lads at Fleet Street FFS!!

I'll tell you BE i heard some stories in that 3 hour journey up and down to Belfast than most lads in Fleet Street will hear all year.

All of them i would say are 99% accurate too - my man has some contacts in the world of GAA.
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bald eagle Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:39 pm

I have no sympathy for county's living beyond their means, people bang on about the GAA going pro or semi-pro but a lot of county's are struggling at amateur level!

bald eagle
GAA Hero
GAA Hero

Doire

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:51 pm

I don't believe that McGeeney is getting much money at all from Armagh, simply because I can't see who would be paying it.

Still, there does seem to be truth in the county's general financial problems.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  bocerty Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:34 am

Thomas Clarke wrote:I don't believe that McGeeney is getting much money at all from Armagh, simply because I can't see who would be paying it.

Still, there does seem to be truth in the county's general financial problems.

TC i tell you now he is getting paid a colossal amount of money, believe me he wouldn't be there if he wasn't getting it.

Stories i have hear dint he past all come back to Morgan the sponsors and Joe Kernan, Paddy O'Rourke was int he mix too but not what he was getting paid more what he owed Morgans from his own business as a building contractor
bocerty
bocerty

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Clarke Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:37 am

I understood that Paddy O'Rourke had the job because they couldn't afford to pay anyone else.

I know McGeeney was well looked after in Kildare, but I just felt that with Armagh being his own county and allegedly bankrupt, and with Tipperary involving him part-time as well, he may not be earning more than expenses here.

Hard to believe that McGeeney is earning a fortune, yet Grimley and his assistant Peter McDonnell aren't.

Your sources could be right, and perhaps I'm being naive, but I don't see where it is coming from.
Thomas Clarke
Thomas Clarke
GAA Elite
GAA Elite

Tyrone

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next